Cincy Pizza

Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5493
2003/07/02 04:41:27 (permalink)

Cincy Pizza

I'll be in Cincy, Oh. in a couple weeks and would like to know if there is someplace that serves a thin, crispy crust pizza?

Thanks,

Mike

16 Replies Related Threads

jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2003/07/02 10:36:14 (permalink)
    Absolutely. The pizza non pareil in Cincinnati is La Rosa's, a locally owned chain which is de facto and de juris king of pizzas in the area. It is generally understood in the national chain food business that the single hardest market to crack is pizza in Cincinnati, due to La Rosa's dominance.

La Rosa's is available in three crusts (starting at crispy and moving upward on the bready scale), with whatever toppings you desire. Sauce is made, not bought, and is the perfect balance. Sandwiches are good, too.

I've lived here my whole life (45 years as of yesterday), and when we leave town to live closer to the beach someday, La Rosa's is one of the things I'll miss most.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5493
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2003/07/03 02:08:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info! I moved away from my home town 5 years ago after 41 years there and one of the things I miss most is a thin crispy crust pizza. We had a chain called Me & Ed's, they boasted of a 750 degree fire brick oven and 7 different cheeses. Although in later years I think they cut back on the # of cheeses they used. All they served was pizza, beer and soft drink. It was THE place to go on a date or after the game.

I'll be staying downtown but will have wheels so I can get around. I think I saw one of the La Rosa's while I was there staying in Norwood last year

Thanks,

MikeS.
    ericm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2003/10/29 01:15:46 (permalink)
    jmckee is right about La Rosa's being the de facto king of pizza in the Queen City. My personal favorite though is located in Clifton called Adriatico's. Great pizza, thin or thick crust is equally worthy, IMO.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2003/10/29 18:57:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ericm

Adriatico's. Great pizza, thin or thick crust is equally worthy, IMO.

I bought a pie there recently, having loved it from a long time ago when I lived in the area, but the sauce was so very peppery hot you couldn't taste it the pizza.

Is the sauce always peppery hot or was this night just an abberration? Mind you, I buy pizza with one side just plain cheese, and that side was of the same peppery bite, so it wasn't the toppings.

Also, what part of town do you hail from? I'm in the Mt Washington area, where I have grown to love Pizzaville, a one man operation literally right next door to a LaRosas.
    ericm
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2003/10/30 00:12:06 (permalink)
    I have gotten pizzas there when the sauce was particularly spicy and times when it was less so. Most of the times it is not intrusively spicy for my tongue, but then again I tend to like spice heat. Overall, I think the thin crust tastes spicier than the thick crust beause of the sauce to crust ratio. Rather than peperoni, I usually order mine with salami (a habit I picked up in Europe) and I think that tends to tame things just slightly.

Personally, I find La Rosa's sauce too sweet (I know that is heresy in Cincy) for a good pizza. Have you tried their new mama-mia Sicily-whatever pizza that they have been marketing? I understand it has a different sauce.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2003/10/30 08:18:42 (permalink)
    Little It'ly is (I believe) what they are calling it.

I eat LaRosa's on occasion, but only when others buy it. Too many other good individually owned pie makers are available to sample.

What part of town are you in?
    ericm
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2003/11/03 19:18:40 (permalink)
    Currently in NKY, just bought a place in East Walnut Hills and will be moving back on the proper side of the river within 6 months or so.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2008/07/29 10:25:30 (permalink)
    Bumping this back to the top--can any Cincinnati people tell me if there still are any Pasquales pizza places up there? I believe the franchise is struggling because of some irregularities, shall we say, on the part of the CEO.

Just wondering if any still survive up there.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2008/07/29 11:34:57 (permalink)
    There is a Pasquales last I checked (maybe 3 months back) in Bellevue Ky on the main drag. Bellevue is like a mile or two downriver from Downtown Cincinnati

There may be others, not sure.

The chain was once mighty here, but has struggled since the 70's, with most now long closed down
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2008/07/29 13:50:32 (permalink)
    Is the Italianette still open in Silverton?
    I use to love their stuff for a change of pace when I was in the area.
    The crust was most excellent, the kind that bubbles up real big and get's good and crunchy

Queen City Pizza on the west side on Queen City Ave. was my favorite delivery pizza. It was at one time the freshest tasting pie I've had, with everything made fresh daily and often...they sold a lot of pizza! They did offer a Cincinnati Chili pizza that was pretty tasty.

It's been a while since I've had anything from either establishment, so I really don't know what I'm talking about anymore.

Can't go wrong with LaRosa'a, it will alway's be my #1 of course. I love Buddy's sauce and pepperoni...hell, I love his whole menu and he's a really great guy ta boot!
    I spent much of my teens at the main location on Boudinot Ave. and all my brothers and most of my old friends worked there at one time or another...we ate a lot of LaRosa's!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2008/07/29 14:34:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pat T Hat

Is the Italianette still open in Silverton?

Yes, and they have second location in Madisonville

quote:

Queen City Pizza on the west side on Queen City Ave. was my favorite delivery pizza.

I like it too, but some folks don't like pizzas cooked in conveyor ovens, as this one is.

quote:

Can't go wrong with LaRosa'a, it will alway's be my #1 of course. I love Buddy's sauce and pepperoni...hell, I love his whole menu and he's a really great guy ta boot!

LaRosa's is a definite Cincinnati institution, whether you love it (my wife and kids do) or don't (that'd be me).
    jjjrfoodie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2008/07/29 16:36:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

There is a Pasquales last I checked (maybe 3 months back) in Bellevue Ky on the main drag. Bellevue is like a mile or two downriver from Downtown Cincinnati

TJ, there is a Pasquales on Pippin Rd. in Colerain Twshp. that I have been trying to get to forever. May have to do that this week or next week.

I loved the pizza in the 70's and 80's, but it haas been that long since I have had it.

jjjrfoodie

soozycue520
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1032
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2008/07/29 19:11:34 (permalink)
    These are the four Pasquales I could find in the Cincy area.

(1) Pasquale's Pizza Carry Out (Unverified listing)
    9452 Pippin Rd, Cincinnati, OH - (513) 825-7262

(2) Pasquale's Pizza & Carry Out
    343 Fairfield Ave, Bellevue, KY - (859) 261-2233

(3) Pasquale's Pizza & Carry Out
    630 Monmouth St, Newport, KY - (859) 291-1443

(4) Pasquale's Pizza Carry Out
    3623 Dixie Hwy, Elsmere, KY - (859) 727-1155

BillC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2008/07/29 22:48:56 (permalink)
    The Pasquale's in Elsmere changed their name to Salvadore's several months ago. Incidentally, an apparently thriving neighborhood location. Nothing really special, but good for a Fri. night pizza. Don't know the reason for the name change, but lawyers were involved I would guess.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2008/07/30 13:40:34 (permalink)
    For my NY taste you cannot beat Dewey's Pizza for pizza that tastes like pizza should and with a NY tasting crust - they have several locations:

http://deweyspizza.com/cincinnati

http://deweyspizza.com/files/uploaded/TakeOut_inside_JUNE2008.pdf

http://deweyspizza.com/about

The only comparable pizza in the area in my opinion can be found at Troni"s Pizza and Restaurant in Kettering south of Dayton:

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25922&whichpage=2
    schwabpg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Cincy Pizza 2008/07/30 14:05:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jjjrfoodie

quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

TJ, there is a Pasquales on Pippin Rd. in Colerain Twshp. that I have been trying to get to forever. May have to do that this week or next week.

I loved the pizza in the 70's and 80's, but it haas been that long since I have had it.

jjjrfoodie

I believe the Pippin Road location has been gone for several years.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1