The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 55
CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 02/5/09 4:20 PM (permalink)
Hear Ye, Hear Ye:

Fellow Roadfooders, mark your calendars

Date:  Saturday May 9th, 2009
Time:  10:00am
Locations:  See The latest on page 2

After talking with some friends, we thought about getting together for a Cincinnati Style Chili Adventure.  Eating at all the different types of Cincinnati Chili parlors

We are talking:

Dixie Chili
Camp Washington Chili
Price Hill Chili
Blue Ash Chili
Gold Star Chili
Skyline Chili

(also maybe US chili & Emperess Chili)

with a possible stop for ice cream at either Aglameiss or Graeters... or both!

Other events that weekend

The Reds are in town and play the cardinals.
The Cincy Playhouse is doing "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"
The Newport Aquarium is holding their "Frog Bog"

So there is lots to see and do in cincy that weekend, hopefully lots of Roadfooders can turn out for this one of a kind event.

<message edited by CajunKing on Sun, 05/3/09 7:04 PM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 02/5/09 5:07 PM (permalink)
    CajunKing -

Nice line-up...I beleive I've got committments already that day but this is one I really would like to try.  We'll see!  Thanks for organizing!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
      Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 02/5/09 5:32 PM (permalink)
      I was just introduced to this kind of chili two years ago and am a big fan.  But I have a question.  How can anyone eat that much chili in one day?

It sounds wonderful but I cannot figure out how you can do this without being full after two stops!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 02/5/09 5:38 PM (permalink)
        most of them offer "small" portions, or pick and choose which ones

I listed all the cincy style parlor's available, we may limit it down closer to the event so we can get the widest variety

My fav's

Camp Washington
        Price Hill
        Blue Ash
        Skyline

Sundancer7

Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 02/5/09 5:40 PM (permalink)
          Greymo

I was just introduced to this kind of chili two years ago and am a big fan.  But I have a question.  How can anyone eat that much chili in one day?

It sounds wonderful but I cannot figure out how you can do this without being full after two stops!

As i found out a few years ago with the Glee Club when we tried to do many BBQ stops in one day, the answer is to only sample a very small bit of each stop.  We did not do that and after a couple of stops, we were stuffed.

I have learned to temper my intake a lot.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
            Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 02/5/09 6:08 PM (permalink)
            I envision a bunch of dudes standing around, Cool Hand Luke-style, with their spoons in their pockets.

Sundancer7

Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 02/5/09 6:14 PM (permalink)
              Nancypalooza

I envision a bunch of dudes standing around, Cool Hand Luke-style, with their spoons in their pockets.

You are correct except we did not consume 50 eggs.  I was just too much BBQ.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 02/5/09 6:44 PM (permalink)
                It is a lot easier to divide a portion of Pulled Pork or ribs than it will be to split an order of Chili !! Maybe round up a couple of gallons of each "brand" and have a "Tasting" at some central location??

buffetbuster

Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 8:31 AM (permalink)
                  Of course, I am in!  Already have it marked on the calendar. 

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                    Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 8:59 AM (permalink)
                    CajunKing, put me down as a definite "yes" ( gawd, am I a glutton for intestinal punishment! )   :-)

MiamiDon

Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 9:11 AM (permalink)
                      I can't make it, but I would be very interested in seeing photos and reading reports from the Cincinnati chili parlours that you visit. 

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 10:06 AM (permalink)
                        This sounds like my kind of event. Too bad I won't be anywhere near Cincinnati anytime in the near future.

Just wondering, I went on to yahoo yellow pages and there appear to be many, many other independent chili parlors in the Cincinnati area. Instead of going to the chains Gold Star, Empress or Skyline, why not check out a few of those other ones?
                        <message edited by wanderingjew on Fri, 02/6/09 10:07 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 10:21 AM (permalink)
                          WJ-
                          I was hoping I might be able to talk you into joining us.  Any chance at all?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 10:26 AM (permalink)
                            buffetbuster

WJ-
                            I was hoping I might be able to talk you into joining us.  Any chance at all?

Buffetbuster

Unfortunately it's doubful I'd be able to make it although I was just thinking as I was writing this,  I was considering a 3 day weekend visit to Pittsburgh sometime this spring.  Perhaps May 9th  could be that weekend!

Tumbleweed365

• Total Posts: 179
                              Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 12:33 PM (permalink)
                              I'll have to see on this one, my Grand daughter's First Communion is the next day, and I may have a house full of company.
                              I'll stay tuned.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                                Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                <<How can anyone eat that much chili in one day? >>

If I was going on this tour (sorry, I'd love to but it would be a logn haul from NJ...) I would buy a quart or so from each place, taste it on site then and simply save what I can't eat for the next couple of days and freeze the rest.

Unlike BBQ (especially ribs), Chili re-heats very well  and still tastes real good even after being in the freezer.

I envy you guys, the closest we can get to Cinci Chili in NJ is Skyline in a very expensive can, with left over spaghetti.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                  ken8038

If I was going on this tour (sorry, I'd love to but it would be a logn haul from NJ...) 

Isn't that what ROAD FOOD  is all about??

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                    Don, We'll give a tentative "be there" at this point. More details as the date draws closer. Right now we are focused on Memphis and Mississippi next week!

We might combine a couple of chili-stops with a shopping visit to Jungle Jims !!

Sundancer7

Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 2:10 PM (permalink)
                                      Cincy ain't that far from Knoxville.  I hope i can work it in.  Perhaps WJ can join along with the others.  That would be fun.  I just have to remember to pace myself.

Paul E. Smith
                                      Knoxville, TN

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                                        Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Fri, 02/6/09 7:11 PM (permalink)
                                        If I was going on this tour (sorry, I'd love to but it would be a long haul from NJ...) 

Isn't that what ROAD FOOD  is all about?? >>

Yep. Even as I was typing it I was saying to myself, "Somebody's gonna nail me on that statement".

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Wed, 04/1/09 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                          OK FOLKS

With a little over one month to go I have questions

Where should are focus be:

Chains:

Dixie
                                          Emperess
                                          Gold Star
                                          Skyline

Independents:    (* indicates places I have eaten)

Blue Ash Chili  *
                                          Camp Washington Chili  *
                                          Covington Chili  *
                                          D&D Chili
                                          Dayton Chili (Dayton, KY)
                                          Delhi Chili   *
                                          Gourmet Chili
                                          J&J Restaurant
                                          J.K.'s Chili
                                          Park Chili
                                          Patrick's Bar & Grill
                                          Pleasant Ridge Chili
                                          Price Hill Chili   *
                                          Sam's Chili
                                          US Chili   *
                                          Westside Chili

Or a mixture like

Camp Washington
                                          Price Hill
                                          Blue Ash
                                          Dixie or Emperess
                                          Gold Star or Skyline

HELP!!!!

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Wed, 04/1/09 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                            I'm thinking one chain (Dixie) and the rest independents.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Wed, 04/1/09 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                              I have been trying to map a course and there are so many choices

There are a load of indys on the westside

Maybe starting in NKY at Dixie or Covington, then crossing the river into the west side (Camp Washington, Price Hill, Westside, sam's, J&J)

Maybe Jungle Jim's for a break from eating then onto Pleasant Ridge or Blue Ash.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                                Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Wed, 04/1/09 7:47 PM (permalink)
                                                CajunKing, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I only recently learned of Jungle Jim's, and I'm really eager to check it out.

buffetbuster

Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 04/2/09 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                                  CK-
                                                  I would prefer to only go to one chain and spend the rest of our stops at independents.  Isn't Empress the place that is credited with inventing Cincy style chili?  If so, I would vote to go there, purely for historical reasons.  But, as always, I will happily go where ever you and the group decide.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 04/2/09 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                                    buffetbuster

CK-
                                                    I would prefer to only go to one chain and spend the rest of our stops at independents.  Isn't Empress the place that is credited with inventing Cincy style chili?  If so, I would vote to go there, purely for historical reasons.  But, as always, I will happily go where ever you and the group decide.

I'm fine with Empress (from a historical persepective). I've never been there. I just selected Dixie, because I thought it was much better than Gold Star or Skyline.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                      • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                      Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 04/2/09 3:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      CK, wish I could join yall! Sounds like great fun. I will also be looking forward to the reports.

And, yall keep your ears open for some secret recipe secrets. :~)
                                                      Joe

arianej

• Total Posts: 205
                                                        Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 04/2/09 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                                        My husband and I are interested, but we'll have to check on the date to see if we can make it-- his schedule is pretty busy with school and everything.  But my vote is to put more emphasis on independent chili parlors rather than the chains.  There's only so much chili I can eat in one day, and a person's gotta prioritize.  ;)

I'd also like to put in a good word for Mike's Chili and Gyros along Rte 4 in Hamilton.  Unusual name, but they do a tasty chili (and an awesome 1/2 lb. burger, in case anyone needs a change of pace). 

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 04/2/09 4:15 PM (permalink)
                                                          Both Dixie and Emperess could be considered independents, each place is unique

I was only adding GS or SL for comparison values

What about

Dixie Chili (in NKY)
                                                          Covington Chili (in NKY)
                                                          Camp Washington Chili
                                                          Price Hill Chili
                                                          Emperess Chili
                                                          Delhi Chili
                                                          Blue Ash Chili

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Cincy Style Chili - Eating Adventure - May 9, 2009 - Everyone Welcome Thu, 04/2/09 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                                            CajunKing

Both Dixie and Emperess could be considered independents, each place is unique

I was only adding GS or SL for comparison values

What about

Dixie Chili (in NKY)
                                                            Covington Chili (in NKY)
                                                            Camp Washington Chili
                                                            Price Hill Chili
                                                            Emperess Chili
                                                            Delhi Chili
                                                            Blue Ash Chili

Looks good to me!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 55

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com