Cinnamon Rolls

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/07/29 18:06:44 (permalink)
“I have to admit that when I am in the mall, nothing gets my olafactory senses going better than Cinnabon.”

Yes sir, watching them was fun as well. I do not know why but they have pulled out of the Volusia Mall in Daytona Beach.

John
cyrano
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/07/29 22:41:04 (permalink)
Stroud's, Kansas City.
jack38
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/07/30 00:25:20 (permalink)
T J Cinnamon's
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/07/30 05:37:11 (permalink)
If you were to ask my wife this question, she would say I do! If you were to ask me, I'd have to say that my wife is always right!
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/01 23:30:27 (permalink)
My Wife -really, but Strouds are really good and The Cupboard Cafe in New Harbor Maine- on the Pemaquid Penninsula- east of Damariscotta- makes very good ones and even better sticky buns- but my Wife makes those better too.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/01 23:56:58 (permalink)
I imagine the best cinnamon rolls to be the ones perennially baked by Coast Guard cook Red Wildoe (Walter Matthau) in "Onionhead" (1958), the follow-up to Andy Griffith's breakthrough "No Time for Sergeants" (1957). Griffith stars here, too.

Insofar as Beaver Falls is concerned. After graduating college in 1968, driving home from Iowa I decided to stop over in Beaver Falls... Jo Willie and all that. Well, after a day or so, I called Mom and said I'd be another day or two. Time it was...what a time it was. Didn't know about the donuts.
The Bear
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/02 11:12:11 (permalink)
The best cinnamon rolls are made by Mamaw Smith early in the morning. I enjoy coffee and the paper with Mamaw each morning about 5:00AM. When I enter the house and she has them baking, the olafactory senses are immediately aroused.

She initially starts them as yeast rolls but rolls them with a combination of cinnamon, sugar and butter. When they bake, she dips them in a sugary concoction that is wonderful. I request often that she double dips them. Those things are wondeful early in the morning with Mellow Joy coffee and the morning paper.

I gotta be very careful to not overeat. About two is my limit.

I am not sure that she can compete with Cinnabon but they are six shades north of wonderful. God bless my 85 year old Mamaw Smith. I am glad she is my next door neighbor. Saves me money on my newspaper also.

Paul E. Smith
beacupcake
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/02 11:43:37 (permalink)
hands down, the best cinnamon roll I've ever had was at The Farmhouse in Gilbert, AZ. Big enough to share and drenched in a melted buttery-cream chesse frosting. Better than the Frontier's rolls, which is pretty difficult to do
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/02 13:00:34 (permalink)
Hello All,
I've never liked cinnamon rolls, too gooey.
But we had a place, long gone, Donut King, that
made cinnamon twists that were addictive.
Actually, I like cinnamon rolls if they have
lots of raisins.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
GracieB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/12 17:50:10 (permalink)

MINE!

I made them every Sunday night at for 12 summers at the church camp where I used to cook. Homemade yeast dough, rolled not too thin and spread with melted butter and cinnamon-sugar before rolling them up and cutting them about 2" thick. Then placed 4 across and 6 down on the fullsize sheet pan; by putting them that close together as they rose they also pushed each other up (think push-up bra, boys, which was also my SOP for biscuits and what we in the kitchen called them...push-up bra biscuits...out of range of hearing of kids, of course). They were covered with plastic wrap and placed in my walk-in cooler overnight, to rise slowly.

At 5 a.m. I would go into the kitchen and pull the pans out, uncover, and set in the ovens on lowest possible temp, to warm slowly and finish rising. Took at least 2 hours that way but the texture was unbelievable. Sometimes I'd go back to my cabin and back to bed, but usually I had enough other work to keep me busy, even though breakfast wasn't served until 8:30.

I bumped up the ovens at 8:00, they baked 20 minutes, they were cooled for JUST a few minutes and then topped with ice cream scoops of homemade cream cheese icing. Then after they were all scooped, I'd use the icing spatula, or the back of a tablespoon, and swirl it pretty.

They ended up being the size of a dinner plate and the campers could smell them as they began lining up for breakfast and the kids called me the KitchenBabe....because they loved me.

I still make them in smaller quantities but no smaller size now that I'm home. I made them two weeks ago with maple sugar and maple cream icing for my husband's birthday, and he took them to work for his co-workers' enjoyment. They are still asking him when he is leaving me and fighting over who gets me when he does.

I miss those Sunday nights and Monday mornings.....
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/12 19:45:12 (permalink)
I'm not too particular about cinnamon rolls (never had a bad one!) so I will get them from time to time at the bakery at the grocery store.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/12 19:58:48 (permalink)
When you can't get them from a great bakery (or you can't make them yourself), Entenmann's "Super Cinnamons" are very good--very much like Cinabon.
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/12 21:47:14 (permalink)
My Mom made a delicious cinnamon bun/roll, but after one batch gave her a bad gallstone attack, she stopped making them. :( She too started with a yeast roll recipe, then turned them into cinnamon rolls. It's hard to get the mixture of cinnamon, white sugar and brown sugar just right for the best taste, I think.

Now my favorite cinnamon bun are the Philadelphia "sticky" buns, yeast rolls with caramel and nut topping. I like them with plenty of raisins too, but think I prefer the nut-topped ones. I've found that you can only get this kind in the Philadelphia/Wilmington DE area, though. Well, the authentic ones, at least! [:P](My local Safeway bakery has them from time to time and they just don't taste very good!)
fhoran
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/08/13 18:09:57 (permalink)
As good King Richard III said (well Shakespeare had him saying it so it must have happened) "A cinnamon bun, a cinnamon bun, my kingdom for a cinnamon bun!". I personally like monkey bread even better. Same idea but you use a packaged buttermilk biscuit roll (like Pillsbury rolls in a tube) that you cut into small balls, dip in cinnamon sugar then pour a brown sugar and butter mess all over it and cook in a bundt pan. Prep time is about five minutes, cooks for about half hour. If you really want to make for a healthy snack, or if you have invited Fieldthistle for breakfast, throw in some raisins (they won't hurt anything and might actually taste okay). By the way, is there anything more certain to lead to a myocardial infarct than serving this stuff with a few pats of butter (or would the butter kind of lubricate the arteries enough so the cholesterol plaques just kind of slip through before lodging in Tarragon's Mom's gall bladder). Just thinking out loud here. Fred
sigmagrrl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/09/25 13:26:58 (permalink)
When I lived in Providence, RI, we would go to the Emerald Square Mall in N. Attleboro and there was a place called TJ Cinnamon's. BEST BUNS EVER! And the cream cheese frosting was pure edible evil!!!

SO GOOD!!
micked1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/09/29 15:01:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tarragon

My Mom made a delicious cinnamon bun/roll, but after one batch gave her a bad gallstone attack, she stopped making them. :( She too started with a yeast roll recipe, then turned them into cinnamon rolls. It's hard to get the mixture of cinnamon, white sugar and brown sugar just right for the best taste, I think.

Now my favorite cinnamon bun are the Philadelphia "sticky" buns, yeast rolls with caramel and nut topping. I like them with plenty of raisins too, but think I prefer the nut-topped ones. I've found that you can only get this kind in the Philadelphia/Wilmington DE area, though. Well, the authentic ones, at least! [:P](My local Safeway bakery has them from time to time and they just don't taste very good!)
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/09/29 15:47:32 (permalink)
Mamaw Smith makes the worlds best cinnamon rolls. She does the yeast thing with sugar and cinnamon and them dips them into her powdered sugar mixture. She has them for me fresh on many occasions at our 5:00AM coffee, paper and early morning meeting.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 363
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/10/21 03:28:18 (permalink)
The best I ever had were made in the kitchen of Grandmothers Skillet in Lincoln, NE by our lead cook Judith. The prep team hit the door about 5:30 am and if they had some dough leftover, from making our mini-loaves, Judith would turn them into cinamon rolls for the early crew. I was the GM and came in about 7 and was always happy to come into that nice warm kitchen and be overwhelmed with the smell of yeast, dough, cinnamon and fresh coffee on a COLD January morning.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/10/21 05:23:03 (permalink)
In Portland, Oregon, I like Delphina's Bakery. I also like Heaven on Earth's Cinnamon rolls(Quines Creek, Oregon, exit 86 off of I-5)
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/10/21 12:58:35 (permalink)
Duffy's rolls from the Duffy Cafe in Denver, Colorado. Or the big ones out at Johnson's Corner off I-25 in northern Colorado up by Mead.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 907
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/10/23 14:24:15 (permalink)
Back in the late 1970's, a bunch of friends and I were camping out in what then was the boonies of Southeast lower Michigan and stopped in to the local restaurant in the town of Perry ... Er, the only restaurant in the town of Perry. Well, ok, it was the only restaurant and the only gas station ... uh ... and the only boot shop in the town of Perry. (you get the picture).

About 8 of us walked in out of the dirt parking lot into the sprawling wood-framed building, admired the western boots for a moment, and then stood in the doorway of the dining room for 3 or 4 minutes.
Eventually, the waitress stopped the conversation she was having with a couple enormous farmer-looking gentlemen, probably in their late 80's, and noticing us, pointed to a large table that had no chairs at it and hollered "well, don't just stand there ... grab some of them chairs over there and pull'em up to that table". We promptly obeyed.

After looking at the menus for a few minutes, she came over to take our order.
The friend to my right ordered eggs. "Don't get the eggs" the waitress said.
Ookay then ... he ordered a sandwich instead.
It was my turn and I ordered (tentatively) pancakes.
"Don't order the pancakes" she said ... "Alright" I said; then in a flash of brilliance I asked "What do you recommend?".
She replied "get the cinnamon bun".
"Okay" I said, "I'll have the cinnamon bun".
As well, most of the rest of the table ordered the cinnamon bun.

The cinnamon buns that came to the table were absolutely incredible.
First, they were enormous; probably 4 inches tall and 9 inches in either direction ... and absolutely dripping with icing which looked to be applied in two layers: first right from the oven, and then more applied to the top and browned slightly under the flame in a second layer. The bun was tender and yeasty and fragrant and pulled apart in thick, buttery cinnamon streusel-like layers ... it was the most incredible cinnamon bun any of us had ever had ... and the best I have ever had to this day.

Perry, Michigan now has a Mcdonalds and a Burger King (that stands on the site of that old backroads truck-stop); other restaurants and gas stations, and lots of other "stuff" ... It's a shame. I'm sure nowheres in that town can you get anything as good as that cinnamon bun.
It saddens me, I'll never taste those cinnamon buns again ... but there is one thing I did manage to take with me ... that's the lesson to always ask the waitress what she recommends.

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/10/23 14:47:02 (permalink)
There was a restaurant right across the way from our old location that made a good cinnamon bun. I used to stop in the early a.m.; they put a slab of butter on top and nuke it just a bit for me. Alas, the restaurant is defunct, stupid drugs. I caught drift of the Cinnabon last time I was at the mall of America, I’ll have to give in next time.

I’m not saying these are great or anything, but we used to get those little packages of cinnamon bunnish like treats. Instead of a bun shape they we’re like a 1” wide strip of dough rolled up. You could just throw a couple in the nuke, they we’re a nice little snack with coffee. Do they still make those things? What are they called?
Candyman_GH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2006/10/23 18:03:27 (permalink)
I remember those, I have no idea the name of them though. The icing is what I focus on most:)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10227
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2007/05/04 08:58:12 (permalink)
One of my employees stopped at the previously mentioned Oram's in Beaver Falls, Pa. on his way to work and brought in two large boxes of cinnamon rolls. When I haven't had these for a while, I forget just how really good they are. What a perfect way to start the day!
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2007/05/04 13:12:04 (permalink)
Zingerman's. Hands down the best I've ever eaten. Got 'em for my wife's birthday breakfast.

[url]www.zingermans.com[/url]
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2007/05/04 16:58:16 (permalink)
jmckee - are you speaking of this product?

http://www.zingermans.com/Product.pasp?Category=&ProductID=G%2DCIN&Target=&ShippingAddressID=

I see on their bakery site they have different cinnamon roll products but they only ship the above. If they're that good I'd like to get some for mothers day.

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2007/05/04 21:32:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

jmckee - are you speaking of this product?

http://www.zingermans.com/Product.pasp?Category=&ProductID=G%2DCIN&Target=&ShippingAddressID=

I see on their bakery site they have different cinnamon roll products but they only ship the above. If they're that good I'd like to get some for mothers day.

That's the one. OH MAN. Yeah, they're expensive, but honestly, I have ordered from them three times and everything I've gotten is unbelievable.

Do it Larry. Trust me. I couldn't believe how "cut above" these were.

And the box is a pretty cool thing to have too.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2007/05/05 03:29:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I was walking into Building 50 at Kulis Air National Guard Base with two HUGE pans of cinnamon rolls two weeks ago. 9 o'clock break. All the guys in the break room. "Surprise! Cinnamon rolls!" They loved them!
We sure could have used some of those at Spaarevohn Air Force Station in the mountains 160 miles west of there and nearly forty years ago. It's too bad we don't have a time machine.
Qaholic
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2007/06/14 14:45:49 (permalink)
I haven't had the pleasure of trying them, but I hear Gus Balons Diner in Tucson,AZ has awesome cinnamon rolls. They are listed on this site.
sammur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Cinnamon Rolls 2007/06/14 15:09:39 (permalink)
If you are ever in St Simons, Ga, then you must try the CRs at Fredrica Cafe. You have to get there early because they sell out pretty fast. They are that good.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1