Cinnamon swirl bread w/Crumb topping!

Author
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
2004/10/12 21:40:30 (permalink)

Cinnamon swirl bread w/Crumb topping!

When I was a kid, I used to eat cinnamon swirl bread that had a crumb topping--toasted, of course, for breakfast. It was made by Bond bread company, a local outfit in the Wilmington DE-Philadelphia PA area (and maybe nearby Maryland). Bond went out of business in the late 60s/early 70s and I've never been able to find another bread like that. Today, though, I found a new bread made by Thomas' (the English muffin folks) that purports to be cinnamon swirl with a crumb topping. Now mind you, I haven't tried it yet (I'm trying to hold off and have it tomorrow am with my coffee! ), but I am even now (at 9:30 PM) thinking of toasting up just one slice to see what it tastes like! LOL I'll get back with my impressions. Anyone else have a craving for cinnamon swirl bread with crumb topping, toasted?

4 Replies Related Threads

meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Cinnamon swirl bread w/Crumb topping! 2004/10/13 13:52:44 (permalink)
    Well, I didn't have a craving before, Tarragon, but I do now!! Nothing like melted butter dripping off your toasty cinnamon bread!!

Keep us posted with the taste test!
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Cinnamon swirl bread w/Crumb topping! 2004/10/13 17:40:43 (permalink)
    Well, I have to report that it just didn't match the taste of that old Bond bread streusel crumb topping cinnamon swirl bread! Bond's bread had more crumb topping. It was very good tasting though. And yes, I did have a piece last night-I couldn't hold off. I also had a piece with my coffee this morning. So I will buy it again, probably; I also like the Pepperidge Farm cinnamon swirl bread toasted (they don't have crumb topping though.)

And you're right, Meowzart, there is nothing like butter melting on cinnamon toast!
    Goblinman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Cinnamon swirl bread w/Crumb topping! 2005/09/11 21:44:35 (permalink)
    Every once in a while I'll do a search on Bond Bread, for the Oatmeal and the Cinnamon Swirl Bread. And this time I thought I hit pay dirt, but no just more souls looking for that great bread. The cinnamon had lots of the topping too! It piled up around the top of the pan and you got a lot of it there after it was baked. It fell apart as you ate it. It was good! Two pieces weren't enough. It was so good. I got mine in central Massachusetts.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15302
    RE: Cinnamon swirl bread w/Crumb topping! 2005/09/11 22:07:14 (permalink)

There was a large home-delivery Bakery Service in L A for years (now gone) It was the HELMS BAKERY. They did a wide variety of bakery products including the cinnamon swirl bread. Our Helmsman delivered to our neighborhood for over 10 years. He was like a member of the family stopping by each day.
    The cinnamon swirl bread toasted up just fine, and it could absorb a large quantity of margarine once it was hot !!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1