Clam Chowda

Author
chinesegirl
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
2004/01/13 14:37:21 (permalink)

Clam Chowda

New England is like my second home. After 12 years of happy childhood in Taiwan, my parents decided to send me to one of the picturesque boarding school in MA. I had my first clam chowda there, from that day on I was hooked. The best one I had was near Newport, RI in a B&B. The hostess made the chowda as an afternoon treat, and she told me to add a drop of Tabasco to it. It was yummy yummy.

Where did you have your best NE chowda? (the Manhattan versions are welcome, too)

26 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7679
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/13 14:39:35 (permalink)
    Rhode Island Red Chowder @ On the Roch's in West Warwick RI

Seafood Chowder- Toss up Between The No Name in Boston and Gilbert's Chowder House in Portland ME
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3899
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/13 15:04:32 (permalink)
    Toss-up between Andria's Fish Market in Ventura Harbor and Brophy Bros. in Santa Barbara for the best NE style on the West Coast. Clam chowder just tastes better when you're looking over the harbor at boats! Andria's is definitely not fancy-----but also chock full of clams.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/13 15:45:36 (permalink)
    Alas, I am from South Carolina, so my best chowder comes from a can !!!

But I really like it and look forward to tasting the real stuff some day !!
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/13 15:54:34 (permalink)
    My fiance LOVES the chowda at Hart's Turkey Farm in Laconia New Hampshire (which is saying a lot because he is the fussiest eater, ever). Their chowda has more clams than potatoes, unlike most places.
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/13 16:05:27 (permalink)
    This may sound strange to our members from the great north east but the best that I ever had was at "ship tavern" at The Brown Palace Hotel, Denver Co. I have had clam chowder east coast to west coast. Love it!!
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/13 17:29:57 (permalink)
    Every restaurant in Syracuse does NE chowder every friday, (along with fried haddock) and most of them are awful. Its gotten so I don't order it anymore, (ok, once in a while I'll skip the fried catfish at the Dino and order the soup, but they make it thicker than I usually like it).

I Love manahatten chowder, but I have to make it at home, because its so hard to find around here.
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/15 19:47:30 (permalink)
    Clam King - Manchester, NH. - Usually wins the Chowder competitions in that area every year.

Clam Castle - Clinton, CT

Milford Seafood - Milford, CT

My latest kick is to eat my chowda with Tabasco's Chipolte pepper sauce.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/15 22:46:08 (permalink)
    The best clam chowder I've had is that which my grandmother, and my father after her, made and make. Clear broth, fresh quahogs from the docks in Galilee or Matunuck, salt pork, potatoes, wonderful. I don't normally warm up to cream or milk based chowders, but the fish chowder at Main St. Seafood in Wafefield, RI, is so wonderfully rich and tasty that I must mention it again. A thick creamy soup with chopped chunks and bits left over whatever came into the shop - lobster, scallops, all sorts of white fish - amazing.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6645
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/16 12:32:02 (permalink)
    The Sail Loft in Boston
    Yankee Lobster Fish Market in Boston
    For fish chowdah, it's my former neighbor in South Boston, Ida Lazar. That woman can make a MEAN fish chowdah.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/19 13:26:21 (permalink)
    The best i ever had was at the Annual Clambake pput on by the Boggestow Fish&Game Club In Millis Mass. Theyve been doing this all day event for about 100 yrs or so and know how to do it right! My brother Stephen is the current bakemaster and the whole bake is timed around the making of the chowda---when its doneits time to open the pit and eat. The Chowda is awesome---and the food so abundant that most guys dont ecen eat the lobster--which is served after the the sardine dips and raw clams that start the am-and the salad,corn sausages potaoes and steamers that also come out of the pit.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/26 16:45:34 (permalink)
    Do you agree chowder is better with oyster crakers?
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/26 17:52:01 (permalink)
    Who makes the best MANHATTAN style chowder? I'm not a big fan of the creamy stuff where you can't taste any clams, but enjoy the clear stuff a bunch.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/26 17:55:34 (permalink)
    Oyster or clam crackers, chowda is best served in inclament weather.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/26 17:57:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chinesegirl

New England is like my second home. After 12 years of happy childhood in Taiwan, my parents decided to send me to one of the picturesque boarding school in MA. I had my first clam chowda there, from that day on I was hooked. The best one I had was near Newport, RI in a B&B. The hostess made the chowda as an afternoon treat, and she told me to add a drop of Tabasco to it. It was yummy yummy.

Where did you have your best NE chowda? (the Manhattan versions are welcome, too)

Which boarding school?
    chinesegirl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/01/29 19:58:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

quote:

Which boarding school?

Northfield Mt. Hermon...or should I just say Mt. Hermon...since they have recently decided to close down Northfield
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/02/20 13:43:27 (permalink)
    The best chowder can be found on the Outer Banks of N.C.where it is a clear broth wtih nothing more than clam,potatoes.onions and salt pork.You can have that white stuff,and I do like Manhatten style too!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/02/20 13:51:41 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

quote:

Which boarding school?

Northfield Mt. Hermon...or should I just say Mt. Hermon...since they have recently decided to close down Northfield

That's sad news. My late wife graduated from Northfield in 1953. Back then, Northfield and Mt. Hermon were seperate schools. I was at Northfield for one of her reunions, and I thought it to be a beautiful place. My wife and I spent the night in her old dorm room, and she was unable to sleep, because male-type people hadn't been permitted above the first floor when she was student, and not even allowed on the first floor after dark. It just didn't feel right to her.

Tell me, do they still have Mountain Day?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/02/20 13:53:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

Who makes the best MANHATTAN style chowder? I'm not a big fan of the creamy stuff where you can't taste any clams, but enjoy the clear stuff a bunch.

The clear stuff is Rhode Island chowder. Manhattan is that red soup with clams.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7679
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/02/20 14:16:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Actually the red stuff is Rhode Island Red Chowder, usually on the creamy side. Manhattan chowder is yesterday's vegetable soup with some clams thrown it. It usually has a couple of shots of worcester thrown in to. Clear Chowder is actually Southern New England style found in Rhode Island and Southeastern Connecticut
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/02/20 14:31:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Actually the red stuff is Rhode Island Red Chowder, usually on the creamy side. Manhattan chowder is yesterday's vegetable soup with some clams thrown it. It usually has a couple of shots of worcester thrown in to. Clear Chowder is actually Southern New England style found in Rhode Island and Southeastern Connecticut

I know. Growing up in Connecticut, I didn't have my first white chowder till I was about 12.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6645
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/02/20 18:02:24 (permalink)
    Don't like that milky stuff they serve in Maine. Or the red stuff they serve in NY. Lots of clams, potatoes and heavy cream. Yummy. I love chowdah!
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/07/19 13:13:03 (permalink)
    current clam favorite- The Squire in Chatham, MA

current fish favorite- Sarah's in Wiscasset, ME (across the street from Red's)

This summer my quest is to find the best clam and fish chowder-last summer it was lobster rolls.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/07/19 14:14:14 (permalink)
    The best clam chowda I ever had was in Kennebunk Port Me. circa 1956. It was the first time I ever had "White Chowder", In Upstate New York it was alway's red. The place if I remember correctly was a little diner on a wooden sidewalk street overlooking the Kennebunk river. I think it was the fresh clams and butter and cream that did it.

I live out on the Left coast now and I get my Chowda fix at Boudin's bakery where it is served in a small loaf of hollowed out San Francisco Sour Dough bread. It is very acceptable but not as good as Downeast.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/07/21 07:46:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

Alas, I am from South Carolina, so my best chowder comes from a can !!!

But I really like it and look forward to tasting the real stuff some day !!

Shame, Scbuzz. There are tons of clams to be gotten on the back beaches of SC. Find some soft sandy bottom and walk the bottom in about 1 or 2 feet of water, shoveling your barefeet just under the surface of the bottom. You'll feel the clam shell and can just pick them up. Watch out for oyster bottoms - they'll ruin the fun.

There are also a number of clam farms on the coast around Charleston.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/07/21 13:24:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Don't like that milky stuff they serve in Maine. Or the red stuff they serve in NY.

The red stuff's roots are in coastal Rhode Island and eastern Connecticut (and those are still the best places to find it), due to the area's heavy Portuguese influence. (It seems that few people outside of New England know about the influence of Portuguese cooking in the fishing towns, something that I consider one of the area's best-kept secrets.) According to the histories I've seen, xenophobic Yanks took to calling it Manhattan clam chowder as a double swipe at both the soup and the city, even though the soup was unknown in New York at the time. This eventually led to what's served in the rest of the country as Manhattan clam chowder -- what Michael Hoffman rightly called vegetable soup with clams -- which is a soup that has little in common with the Portuguese-style tomato-based chowder New Englanders first called Manhattan-style. If that makes any sense.

In my experience, the closer you get to the actual coastline, the milkier the chowder, and that's true not only in Maine but in southern New England as well. My wife's family are lifelong New Englanders, and according to them, the trend towards chowder that you can stand a spoon upright in -- a style that personally, I find rather gross, not least because, as has been noted, you can't actually taste any clams in it -- is very recent, as in the last couple of decades, and seems to be spurred primarily by tourists who prefer the thickness.

One day last summer, I was walking through Quincy Marketplace, and I passed by someone who had a little plastic bowl of chowder on their lunch tray. You know how when you scoop mashed potatoes with a disher, they retain that round, ice cream-scoop shape? This chowder still had the shape of the ladle formed on top of the bowl!
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Clam Chowda 2004/08/16 02:49:08 (permalink)
    I had some really great New England style clam chowder at a restaurant called The Old Fish Factory in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Lots of clams, just the right thickness, and consumed at a windowside table that allowed me to look out over the harbor.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1