Clams---realones-with BELLIES

Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
2003/08/20 09:18:04 (permalink)

Clams---realones-with BELLIES

as a transplanted New Englander,everytime i see a review with pics of a clam roll or a clam dinner that spills over the paper boat i start to drool uncontrolably and tears come to my eyes---i rarely get back there--although i will this christmas time--and you all know that out side of the northeast clams have no bellies--odd--in any case i know that MANY yrs ago---when HJo's served real food they used to ship out cans of refrigerated whole shelled clams for frying and they were good too---What i need to know is if they are still available and do any of you folks in New England know where i could get some shipped out here to Oklahoma? Sure would like to treat some folks out here to a treat---or more likely cook a bunch and eat till i burst!!!!Lobster i can get---clams!?--no way---HELP!!!

28 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 09:30:23 (permalink)
    Try this website. www.quahog.com

Hope this helps
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 09:49:47 (permalink)
    I am going to ask, at the risk of showing my ignorance regarding New-England seafood...

What is the difference in taste or texture in the whole-belly vs. un-bellied clams?

I see the distinction made, but do not know the difference.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 09:56:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I am going to ask, at the risk of showing my ignorance regarding New-England seafood...

What is the difference in taste or texture in the whole-belly vs. un-bellied clams?

Not being a New England native (I'm from Long Island and our food and even accents are completely different- trust me on this one) all I can tell you is that whole belly clams just taste a whole lot better. I guess they have a "gooier", but not too gooey texture where ones without the whole belly's have a more "chewy" texture.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 09:59:29 (permalink)
    quote:

JUICINESS!!!!!the bellies are soft and luxurious and FILL you mouth with flavor--the neck is still chewy but the belly has the FLAVOR---rich and velvety and bursting with "the taste of the sea"----non bellied clams are actually strips cut from larger deep sea clams---which are actually much more abundant--the soft shelled classic steamer calm--or fryer--is becoming more and more scarse but is oh so good--probalby why its so scarse! Closest i ever got to them outside of New England are the razor clams of the pacific nw--which can be fried pretty good and makes a pretty good clam roll.And quohogs--the hard shell clam are great too--especiall stuffed---God im making myself hungry!!!Lonestar---do yourself a big favor and get some--i promise--you wont regret it!!!!
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 10:05:08 (permalink)
    quote:

The NO-Belly clam is soft and chewy. You don't get much of an "ocean" taste. The Bellied Clam still has some of that chewiness, but the presence of the stomach sac makes it closer in taste to a fried oyster, and your taste buds scream "This came from the ocean."

I didn't know there was a difference until we ordered some fried clams in Boston. We thought they waiter had made a mistake. Out in Seattle usually the clams are served w/o the stomach.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 10:14:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the explanations!

Eating better through enlightenment!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 10:31:31 (permalink)
    Spent most of my undergrad years('63-'67) cooking at a HoJo's on Rt 95 north of Boston. Lots of 'locals' would complain about the HoJo clam because we served clam strips not the whole-belly clam that was fried at ALL of the local seafood stands (Clam Shack and McIntyre's were the closest to us) The HoJo strips came in what looked like 1/2 gallon paper milk containers-frozen. We thawed, breaded and fried tons of them every week!! They were quite chewy and as mentioned above , they didn't have the 'ocean-salty sweet taste or consistancy.
    Each time we have roadtripped thru that area since then we get at least a small box or dinner at one of the many good stands still in business. They are becomming 'gold-plated' though. Much like the Abalone in SoCal. Not within the typical 'feed the family' roadfood quick stop budget.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 11:12:40 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, but I don't know of any resources to ship clams. I'm sure there out there, just not familiar with them.

To tell the truth, I've never cared that much for clam bellies when fried. Something about the frying sees to throw the whole thing off for me, so I generally get clam strips - or better, scallops. When steamed, that's another story...

JL
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 11:43:44 (permalink)
    I too was drooling over the picture of the fried clams. The strips are nasty (my opinion of course) but the whole belly ones just burst with flavor in your mouth. What a better way to spend a New England evening that with a big 'ol plate of clams sitting on the beach.
    OK everybody, here's where you can get clams or anything, yes they will ship anything....lobsters, crabs, fish, scallops, clams, mussels, etc. It's Yankee Lobster, 300 Northern Ave., Boston. Tel. 617-227-8922, ask for Gerry O'Reilly. All packages go FedEx overnight so it's going to be spendy, but when you just gotta have those clams........
    Or check out their website:
    www.yankeelobstercompany.com
    For 15 years in the restaurant biz I bought from these guys and they're the best (ask Gerry to send some crabmeat too, it's hand picked on the premesis, not extruded by a machine and it's to die for). I was the GM for their retail store for a year after exiting the restaurant scene!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 11:51:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Each time we have roadtripped thru that area since then we get at least a small box or dinner at one of the many good stands still in business. They are becomming 'gold-plated' though. Much like the Abalone in SoCal. Not within the typical 'feed the family' roadfood quick stop budget.

so true--same can be said for alot beasties that taste so good----the abalone--soft shell or sand clams--swordfish and many other fishes--alot of seafood is listed on a couple of lists for chefs warning of dangerous shortages----its not at all uncommen for a species to suffer "extinction by deliciousness" and i am guilty as anyone in the aiding of that very thing. Easy for us here in the good ol USof A to just not eat somthing because it simply isnt at the market---but try to a third world fisherman trying to feed his family that he should put that seaturtle back in the sea! Even here where we can get any food at all there are plenty of people taking home undersized abalone---eating small lobsters on the boat---or pitchforking steelhead at the mouth of the newly restored San Lorenzo River in Santa Cruz Ca--poaching is rampant--both for profit and table.Oh well--life goes on and i STILL crave bellies!!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 12:02:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

I too was drooling over the picture of the fried clams. The strips are nasty (my opinion of course) but the whole belly ones just burst with flavor in your mouth. What a better way to spend a New England evening that with a big 'ol plate of clams sitting on the beach.
    OK everybody, here's where you can get clams or anything, yes they will ship anything....lobsters, crabs, fish, scallops, clams, mussels, etc. It's Yankee Lobster, 300 Northern Ave., Boston. Tel. 617-227-8922, ask for Gerry O'Reilly. All packages go FedEx overnight so it's going to be spendy, but when you just gotta have those clams........
    Or check out their website:
    www.yankeelobstercompany.com
    For 15 years in the restaurant biz I bought from these guys and they're the best (ask Gerry to send some crabmeat too, it's hand picked on the premesis, not extruded by a machine and it's to die for). I was the GM for their retail store for a year after exiting the restaurant scene!

Bless you!!!!EXACTLY what i was looking for !!!! I love this Website!!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 12:12:36 (permalink)
    Tiki, no problemo! Hope you get your clams, hmmmmm, I may just have to call Gerry and get some sent up to Alaska!
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 14:20:51 (permalink)
    trust 'yumbo' on this deal, the clam strips taste good but taste also like they could come from anywhere,the belly's retain that 'briny' oceanic flavor(and the texture is NOT gooey)
    as to stuffed quohogs, my heart beats like a massua drummer in anticipation to my next trip home(maine),although, the state where Boston is located has Quohog stand!!!! places that look like dairy queens but serve up those hard-shelled joys of the sea

stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 14:44:29 (permalink)
    I had fried whole-belly clams twice in New England this summer---at Baxter's in Hyannis, MA and at Lenny and Joe's in Madison, CT. The two were very different. I found Lenny and Joe's to be a lot "gooier" and Baxter's "meatier". The clams at Baxter's were about $10 more.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 14:48:30 (permalink)
    I think it's the "gooiness" that turns me off fried whole clams - though not, as I indicated above, steamed clams, which I love. Don't ask me why, the texture just seems different. I do love the chewy clam necks as well, though, steamed or fried.

JL
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3901
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/20 16:21:11 (permalink)
    As a west coaster, I had always heard the hype about east coast whole belly clams and chalked it up to regional exxageration. When I went to Connecticut however a few years ago, I decided to try them in Mystic. It seemed like I had never tasted clams before. I made sure to go out two times more for them before I left the new Haven area. In the yesrs since, I've tried clams at a few places here and they don't even come close. Just as everyone says, the whole belly clams have the taste of the ocean. They've spoiled me--------I don't think I can ever order clams on the left Coast again.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/21 01:26:47 (permalink)
    The problem with ordering belly clams is that you run into places that don't purge the clams (coughlegalseafoodcough) and so you pop one into your mouth and think "Okay, what's this gritty stuff? And, ew, why is it BLACK? Why are you making me eat clam poo, you bastards?"

So order the bellies if you want. They do taste great. But if you're like me, you might want to order them from a place that you know cleans them properly first!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/21 02:53:57 (permalink)
    Rule number one: do not order fried clams from Legals or any other full fledged "restaurant". Rule number two: only certified, viable "clam shacks" sell full belly clams with a burst of ocean taste on the palate and no black goo! All of you skeptics need to meet us New Englanders in Ipswich at the Clam Box or in RI or CN and you too will be pursuaded that full belly clams are truly a treat.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/21 08:47:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    lleechef writes All of you skeptics need to meet us New Englanders in Ipswich at the Clam Box or in RI or CN and you too will be pursuaded that full belly clams are truly a treat.

I'm not really sure who you are referring to here, but since I'm pretty much the only person posting to this topic who has expressed a (mild) lack of enthusiasm for fried (though not steamed) whole clams, it looks like me. So as a native New Englander (one who has lived here nearly my whole life and continues to do so) from a coastal fishing town who spent more than a small part of my youth working in clam shacks and on the docks, I don't need the offered instruction, thanks. I'm familiar with the problem of unpurged clams, which are totally unacceptable (like eating mud) and not what I have in mind. The sort of briney, ocean-y qualities in whole clams praised here, which I also enjoy (and spoke approvingly of in the "Chowder" topic), to me are muted in fried clams, along with a change in the texture from the batter and technique. Steamed clams, in my opinion, simply bring the clamminess out better, especially when dipped in a bowl of the cooking liquid instead of butter.

JL
    davetoo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/08/25 14:38:38 (permalink)
    If you're looking really good, really fresh whole clams, check out the web site.....IPSWICH SHELLFISH.
    They are not cheap, but they are well worth it.
    You'll want to miove back to New England after looking through their web site.
    Agawam Brad
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/09/04 17:03:11 (permalink)
    Try this website www.ipswichfishmarket.com

They have a fried clam kit they will send you with the famous "Clam Box" secret receipe. I saw the advertisement in Yankee Magazine.

good luck
    lisamnorth
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2003/09/04 17:51:04 (permalink)
    You Can Order a clam frying kit from Ipswich Seafood

http://www.ipswichshellfish.com/ipshellfish/product.asp?id=0015&dept=110&parent=100&mscssid=N7S1CL79Q8V09J81L8KF0GSRU2WS3RL1

Includes corn flour mix, a 2-part plastic sifter, tartar sauce and 1 quart container of shucked clams. It isn't cheap - $99.95 but that includes shipping. You can also just order quarts of clams.

Hope this helps!
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2004/04/02 09:54:54 (permalink)
    If a place serves/sells strips, what do they do with the bellies?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2004/04/02 13:05:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by angelfood

If a place serves/sells strips, what do they do with the bellies?

actually the ones with the bellies are a specific type of clam that is traditional in New England for steamers and fried clams--a softer shell then alot of clams and usually dug on the beach in sand---the strips are often cut from deep water clams---larger and tougher and hard shelled.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2004/04/02 13:30:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lisamnorth

http://www.ipswichshellfish.com/ipshellfish/product.asp?id=0015&dept=110&parent=100&mscssid=N7S1CL79Q8V09J81L8KF0GSRU2WS3RL1

Includes corn flour mix, a 2-part plastic sifter, tartar sauce and 1 quart container of shucked clams. It isn't cheap - $99.95 but that includes shipping. You can also just order quarts of clams.

Hope this helps!

So how many people could you feed with one quart of shucked clams?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18269
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2004/04/02 14:21:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:
    Originally posted by lisamnorth

Hope this helps!

So how many people could you feed with one quart of shucked clams?

Oh, I'd say none. I mean, one quart wouldn't even take the edge off.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2004/04/02 17:46:01 (permalink)
    At $99 i,d say your better off flying to New England!!I,d eat a quart by myself and be looking for more!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Clams---realones-with BELLIES 2004/04/02 19:54:26 (permalink)
    Tiki,
    Right you are ! Been there and a typical order for 2 would be 2 quarts, one pint of scallops, one quart of Onion Rings and some fries too. For years the standard size order was a 'small=pint and a large was a Quart. Remember that is not the "Raw Quantity" that was the size of the paper container that held the finished breaded fried product. Last Clams I bought was a few years back and If I remember correctly they were $12 for a large order. (Woodman's in Essex,MA)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1