"Classic American Sandwich Favorites"

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/10/04 23:54:07 (permalink)

"Classic American Sandwich Favorites"

A new diner opened near us in NYC. Part of the typically huge menu includes a section: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites":

It lists:
Tuna Fish Salad
BLT
Chicken Salad
Egg Salad
Shrimp Salad
Roast Beef
White Meat Turkey
Lean Corned Beef
Pastrami
Grilled Cheese
Fried Egg
Bacon & Egg

This sounded a tad New York Centric to me, but what do you you all think? Are these THE classics? What would you add and/or subtract from the list??

25 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 06:31:51 (permalink)
    There is a few I can think of that aren't listed.

The Club sandwich
    Ruben
    Monte Cristo
    Also didn't see any Ham listed or fish, a Friday favorite.

Chow Jim
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 07:29:30 (permalink)
    Yes, would definitely add the Club, Reuben, ham and cheese - the South doesn't know
    much about Monte Cristo, but we might add fried bologna on white w/ mustard only. I question shrimp salad....on a sandwich? The fish sandwich is a maybe also. But maybe fried pork tenderloin or pork chop sandwich should be on there?

Teresa in North Carolina, home of Snappy Lunch
    sftreat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 07:33:59 (permalink)
    What about the American original, PBJ!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 07:59:13 (permalink)
    Definately a classic club-complete with the frilly toothpicks! Reubens, ham and swiss and a patty melt...yum
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 08:38:06 (permalink)
    I like these ideas, and they confirm my thought that "classic American" is regional, e.g, Yes for PBJ, classic club, ham or ham/cheese, but Reuben, Monte Cristo are known in NY but not that common, and as for pork chop/tenderloin? I've never eaten one or seen one on a menu at all. Fried bolonga? I still wonder too if the Corned-Beef-Pastami thing is mostly a Jewish deli/NY/urban offering.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 08:48:34 (permalink)
    To all,

Do hamburgers, cheesburgers, patty melts count as sandwiches? If not I would give a nod to the Club, PBJ and the quintessential BLT. They are not regional nor ethnocentric. My favorite would be the Reuben. By the by I had my first Monte Cristo in Maryland.

BB
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 08:59:29 (permalink)
    A tomatoe sandwich on white bread with mayo and a slice of cheese.
    Terry
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 09:14:44 (permalink)
    What!? No Fluffernutter!!!?

As a comparison you might want to look at the reviews here for the All Star Sandwich Bar in Cambridge. http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4282
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6429
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 09:27:19 (permalink)
    No breaded pork tenderloin sandwich?
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 09:57:06 (permalink)
    It does appear that this may be regional listing- but in Dallas we know what a Monte Cristo is, so I don't think that one is just a NY sandwich. For MSO you could just add the fried bologna to the fried egg and serve it on a real hard roll- that is his fave! Mine is the Reuben.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 10:10:38 (permalink)
    Agreed. Add a club. Possibly add something with sprouts and avocado and call it a californian.
    jettababs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/05 10:12:47 (permalink)
    I'll second or third the lack of the pork tenderloin, and there's also no egg salad sandwich. That's a comfort food classic.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/06 02:48:06 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Shrimp salad sandwich gives me the willeys.
    Lately, I've just enjoyed sandwiches with a variety of
    meats, rather than just a ham sandwich or turkey, or whatever.
    And I am so aware that a sandwich is not just meat, but
    the extras like tomato, lettuce, and sauces.
    Divefl, I love adding things like sprouts and avocado.
    I love any establishment that has the "lowly" sandwich on its
    menu. Sometimes, you just want a sandwich.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/06 13:33:02 (permalink)
    Bologna and american cheese on white, speaking of which, the beef bologna at superwally is really good AND inexpensive
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/06 19:34:26 (permalink)
    OK as a Born & bred Baltimorean I have to defend the shrimp salad sandwich. In Baltimore it is second only to the crab cake. Think diced steamed shrimo, celery, mayo & Old Bay on bread of your choice. Next time you are at Lexington Market looking for Faidly's check out Mary Mervis's for her shrimp salad sandwich, yum!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/06 19:42:02 (permalink)
    I can't believe they omitted the liverwurst sandwich. It was a lunch staple for me growing up in the NYC area.
    Liverwurst (in the natural casing) and American cheese with mustard on a New York hard roll. Double yummy! And, don't forget the sour garlic dill pickle.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/06 20:40:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

I can't believe they omitted the liverwurst sandwich. It was a lunch staple for me growing up in the NYC area.
    Liverwurst (in the natural casing) and American cheese with mustard on a New York hard roll. Double yummy! And, don't forget the sour garlic dill pickle.

Ya know, growing up in NYC too, I remember liverwurst! (no cheese). Also the choice between liverwurst slices or those sorts of cellophane tubes or rolls that had little metal staples on the end that you would cut to get the softer liverwurst out. But I suspect that liverwurst is extinct, a victim of the lower fat (haha) diet of Americans. Whadaya think?
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/06 21:17:33 (permalink)
    The liverwurst sandwich is alive and well, at least for some of us. Boars Head makes an excellent liverwurst. On a hard roll, an onion roll, rye or pumpernickel with sliced onion, yellow mustard and a pickle on the side. Oh yeah, don't forget a cold Sam Adams lager.
    Rando
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/07 12:33:40 (permalink)
    pimento cheese sammich!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/07 13:11:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ciaoman

The liverwurst sandwich is alive and well, at least for some of us. Boars Head makes an excellent liverwurst. On a hard roll, an onion roll, rye or pumpernickel with sliced onion, yellow mustard and a pickle on the side. Oh yeah, don't forget a cold Sam Adams lager.

Here in Dallas at Central Market, they sell a lot of deli products from the NYC area. Including Ehmer's (brand) liverwurst. other brands are repesented as well. I can buy liverwurst there in both the natural casing and the plastic casing.
    And, I do!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/07 13:23:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

Ya know, growing up in NYC too, I remember liverwurst! (no cheese). Also the choice between liverwurst slices or those sorts of cellophane tubes or rolls that had little metal staples on the end that you would cut to get the softer liverwurst out. But I suspect that liverwurst is extinct, a victim of the lower fat (haha) diet of Americans. Whadaya think?

Wholefoods, sells a natural, no nitrates TURKEY liverwurst that is much, much lower in fat and calories than pork liverwurst. And, I defy anyone to tell the difference. I can't recall the name but, I'll post it later.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2464
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/07 22:00:30 (permalink)
    quote:

A new diner opened near us in NYC. Part of the typically huge menu includes a section: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites":

It lists:
    Tuna Fish Salad
    BLT
    Chicken Salad
    Egg Salad
    Shrimp Salad
    Roast Beef
    White Meat Turkey
    Lean Corned Beef
    Pastrami
    Grilled Cheese
    Fried Egg
    Bacon & Egg

This sounded a tad New York Centric to me, but what do you you all think? Are these THE classics? What would you add and/or subtract from the list??

Where is this diner? I'm curious to check it out. I've been to a lot of diners in NYc and it seems a lot of their menus have a sandwich section and also a mini section for clubs/triple deckers, hamburgers too. I think the phrase "American Classics" seems to refer to sandwiches that almost anyone can relate to having had growing up as opposed to regional specialties (which are great in their own right). The sandwiches on that list are probably classics for some, but not for others. I doubt that any single restaurant/diner will ever be able to serve enough of the sandwiches that everyone considers "classics". It wouldn't make good business sense. Just for the record, I've never even been close enough to a pork tenderloin sandwich to smell it, let alone eat it, but the pictures on this site are droolworthy!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/08 00:23:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

AWhere is this diner? I'm curious to check it out. I've been to a lot of diners in NYc and it seems a lot of their menus have a sandwich section and also a mini section for clubs/triple deckers, hamburgers too.

Aside from also not selling pork tenderloin I recommend checking out this new diner: It's called "Good Stuff" and is on W. 14th St, between 6th & 7th Ave, a few stores down from the McBurney Y. It opened about a week or two ago, but had been being designed for months. It is a rather interesting place on a rather middling block: it's very shiny, fresh, "moderne" with lots of colorful tiles, very upscale look (for 14th St??? But I think this block is "in transition" - in a "good way.")

I haven't eaten there but it is a bit pricey. It's getting crowded and the genre is still a "Greek Diner". Maybe you'll check it out and report on it first!! (PS Order a Sandwich!~_)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/08 01:04:32 (permalink)
    This opens up a whole can of worms, when put between 2 slices of bread could be called a sandwich. I refer you to http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/SandwichHistory.htm

Referring back to the ORIGINAL QUESTION, what qualifies as a true "Classic American Sandwich Favorite"? To my way of thinking it should be a sandwich that is recognized and eaten in ALL 50 STATES, like PBJ, Grilled Cheese. Things like Shrimp Salad, Beef on Wick, Philly Cheese Steaks, Pork Tenderloins, Tomato Sandwiches, BBQ etc, while great sandwiches, are REGIONAL in nature and not found or eaten in all 50 states. So, let's break it down into NATIONAL and REGIONAL favorites. This also raises the question, should Hamburgers and Hot Dogs be included in this category, or they a separate Category???? Technically, they are a sandwich.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "Classic American Sandwich Favorites" 2007/10/08 10:18:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

This opens up a whole can of worms, when put between 2 slices of bread could be called a sandwich. I refer you to http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/SandwichHistory.htm

Can of worms sandwich???

However, I like your return to (my) original question....I agree that it should be in all 50 states, not regional. I am surprised that shrimp salad is considered regional, but that's how you understand regional: someone else tells you!!! (you are so in touch with it you don't realize it - does a fish know about water, a bird about air??)

And (for some reason, I wonder what) burgers and hot dogs are not "sandwiches", at least by menu standards, since they are usually on another part of the menu. Maybe because they are grilled? (but what about grilled cheese?)Meat? (no of course not). I know: square bread!!! That's it, all other Classic American sandwiches come on white sliced bread (usually), while burgers and dogs have their own special clothing - buns!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1