Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066

6 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4193
    Re:Clean Your Plate, OR Else 2013/02/14 19:10:22 (permalink)
    That's only fair.  Once I had a guy (he worked with my GF) as one of six guests at my CC's A.Y.C.E. "lobster fest".  This dumb, rude a$$ went through 8 or 9 whole lobsters, ate only the tails, and threw the rest away.  And, fueled by the A.Y.C.D. beer & wine, he was not exactly doing so with any subtlety.  Yikes! 
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3539
    Re:Clean Your Plate, OR Else 2013/02/14 22:38:33 (permalink)
    I get it...if you ask for more. But what if what comes in the original portion is too much? Are you supposed to stuff yourself miserable?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4193
    Re:Clean Your Plate, OR Else 2013/02/15 07:16:04 (permalink)
    felix4067

I get it...if you ask for more. But what if what comes in the original portion is too much? Are you supposed to stuff yourself miserable?

It appears that one is served rice, then one is free to add their own salmon roe.  Seems that it's o.k. to leave rice, but not to leave a huge pile of unconsumed roe.  

In my experience related above, that inconsiderate a$$ went through 8 or 9 whole lobsters, eating only the tails.  Needless to say, the price of this 'festivity' is based on the Club's past experience.  So, aside from the spectacle of throwing away 18 wonderful claws and nine jam-filled bodies, having a conspicuous 'waster' like that jacka$$ increases the future price for everyone. 

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Clean Your Plate, OR Else 2013/02/15 08:23:45 (permalink)
    In Japanese culture mottainai is an important philosophical principle.

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3539
    Re:Clean Your Plate, OR Else 2013/02/15 12:06:09 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

felix4067

It appears that one is served rice, then one is free to add their own salmon roe.  Seems that it's o.k. to leave rice, but not to leave a huge pile of unconsumed roe.  

In my experience related above, that inconsiderate a$$ went through 8 or 9 whole lobsters, eating only the tails.  Needless to say, the price of this 'festivity' is based on the Club's past experience.  So, aside from the spectacle of throwing away 18 wonderful claws and nine jam-filled bodies, having a conspicuous 'waster' like that jacka$$ increases the future price for everyone. 

All of which makes sense, when it comes to the lobsters. The place in the article, though, says you are not allowed to leave so much as one single grain of rice in your bowl or you have to pay a fine. One of the articles linked in the one above states "They are famous for their ikura -- salty salmon roe -- and the overflowing bowls that they serve. Order a 'tsukko meshi', a bowl of rice piled high with as much salmon roe as you want -- only if you agree to leave not even one grain of rice in your bowl." Overflowing bowls. Which implies a great deal of food.

I totally get where they're coming from as far as the working conditions of the fishermen...but then maybe they could agree to pay them more to compensate rather than forcing people who eat there to pay a fine if they leave three grains of rice in their bowls. Just a thought.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Clean Your Plate, OR Else 2013/02/15 16:15:26 (permalink)
    Restaurant owner said it's been so successful that he's able to open a second restaurant. So, if the ~$20 is going to the fishermen, then really, the concept is gaining attention and customers, which means it's a gimmick employed to raise sales rather than honor the fisherman. I have no problem, since everyone who dines there, knows this ahead of time. I doubt anyone gets the surcharge unsuspectingly.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1