Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to?

Author
djdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 439
2013/03/21 23:09:43 (permalink)

Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to?

So since September I've been using my pop up tent/awning almost daily and have had to put it away when it was wet after rainy days.  It needs cleaning as it's white and it doesn't take much to get it dirty and I see some little spots of mold due it not being able to dry before being put away. 

It was a nice day today so I pulled it out and used some Greased Lightening and a brush and was able to get some stuff off...then I noticed that the mold dots were in the inside of the material and I wasn't about to scrub it on the inside.

At any rate - before I do this - has anyone been able to take the poly awning part off and fit it in a commercial washer? 

9 Replies Related Threads

Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to? 2013/03/22 20:13:01 (permalink)
    From my days as a pro power washer dude- The only good way to really remove mold is with bleach. I would, rinse it with water, in a spray bottle or a pump up sprayer put 1/10 th bleach, the rest water and a couple good squeezes of dawn. Spray it down, let it set a couple minutes, maybe a LIGHT scrub with a SOFT bristle brush (truck/car wash brush from HD). If that doesn't  get the mold increase the concentration/dwell time for bleach. Rinse. More bleach/dwell=more deterioration. Should be OK but be careful. Let the bleach do the work, scrubbing will wreck it.    
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to? 2013/03/22 21:11:05 (permalink)
    Thanks Tristan...if I can fit it in a commercial washer would you not recommend that?  It's extremely heavy duty polyester....

Tristan225

From my days as a pro power washer dude- The only good way to really remove mold is with bleach. I would, rinse it with water, in a spray bottle or a pump up sprayer put 1/10 th bleach, the rest water and a couple good squeezes of dawn. Spray it down, let it set a couple minutes, maybe a LIGHT scrub with a SOFT bristle brush (truck/car wash brush from HD). If that doesn't  get the mold increase the concentration/dwell time for bleach. Rinse. More bleach/dwell=more deterioration. Should be OK but be careful. Let the bleach do the work, scrubbing will wreck it.    

FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to? 2013/03/22 21:46:22 (permalink)
    OK, I`ve got 3 E-Z Up tents. I`ve tried everything to bring them back to life. The last time I took one to the laundry mat, stuffed in their biggest washer they had, poured about a gallon of bleach and 2 cups of Oxiclean. It helped out, but I don`t think you can absolutely return them to normal. It would be nice if e-z up would sell their replacements tops at a reasonable price rather than the price of a whole new tent. Good luck.
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to? 2013/03/22 22:17:32 (permalink)
    No - No pressure. The new thinking is to hardly ever use pressure on anything except concrete. The big washers are pushing gallons not pressure for a faster rinse. Almost everything now days is let the chemical do the work, you should be able to comfortably hold your hand over the spray. If you ever have your house washed and he wants to use high pressure, a ladder or a super long wand tell him to take a hike. 
    In the washer the bleach is to diluted, that's why I recommend a sprayer. The formula I gave you is probably to weak actually. You may want to start 1/3 bleach, 2/3 water dawn. The bleach will take care of the mold. You said your fabric is pretty strong, maybe test a small area first. If its OK spray and watch to see if mold disappears within a couple minutes, if not you need a stronger mix. You have to find the balance.  
    slammin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to? 2013/03/26 20:00:18 (permalink)
    EZ Up recommends Simple Green for cleaning the cover. I've used it on mine with some success. Never put the tent away wet. Mold can be impossible to remove. Unlike dirt, it is a living thing and actually eats the fabric. Bleach is the only cure and you need to get at it as soon as you notice the mold. I live in western Colorado, high desert. Humidity during the summer is single digits. On the rare occasion we get rain, as soon as I get home, I open the tent so it can dry.
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to? 2013/03/26 23:16:00 (permalink)
    here in maine i found this stuff made locally called Incredible Pink

it is a degreaser but works really well on metal and vinyl surfaces.

no endorsements or anything, someone turned me on to it and i use the stuff all over.

it's also non toxic and HD approved here in maine.

agmccall
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to? 2013/04/13 10:44:09 (permalink)
    Go to any place that sells campers, or Walmart Auto section has a section for campers and get the awning cleaner.  It works great on my camper awning so I would imagine it would be good for popup shelters
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to? 2013/04/13 16:42:46 (permalink)
    AKA diluted form of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner, (or really strong bleach)
    hella good tacos

no endorsements or anything, someone turned me on to it and i use the stuff all over.

hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:Cleaning EZ up/pop up tent awnings - how to? 2013/04/13 22:38:58 (permalink)
    Tristan225

AKA diluted form of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner, (or really strong bleach)
    hella good tacos

i don't see your connection of incredible Pink to Mr. Muscle.

i'd never heard of mr. muscle before so i had to look it up, but it looks to be a petroleum derived product, and pink is not.  I also see they are chemically different.

Mr Muscle is primarily MEA or monoethanolamine.  

Incredible Pink is made of butoxy ethanol and  sodium hydroxide or Lye.

Also neither muscle or pink contain any chlorine, and i don't believe chlorine is effective on grease, but maybe i am wrong about that.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1