Club Sandwich

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/04 17:59:09 (permalink)
Yep, Building Clubs and hand-doing the double-dip batter for onion rings was the messiest and most time consumming part of my tasks as a 'grill-man'. Clams, Scallops, Flounder fillets, were all 'single dip into the canned milk, then dumped into the season flour mix, then the fryer. Onion Rings required two cycles thru that routine, before going into the shortening. No way to get it done without really coating your hands. Try that while catching the multiple toast slices and prepping that damn sandwich for it's cocktail toothpick decorations !!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/04 19:12:10 (permalink)
Oh man. Wheat or white or whatever; those look good. Supper SOLVED for tomorrow night!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/05 14:48:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Oh man. Wheat or white or whatever; those look good. Supper SOLVED for tomorrow night!

I just made myself a ham club here at work.. I couldnt stand it after looking at those pics.
(I would much rather someone else make one for me though!)
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/05 18:11:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Wow! Look at you Roossy! Using all that fruit stuff as a garnish and what not! That's the healthiest darn lookin' thing I've ever seen on this site!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/05 20:25:21 (permalink)
As she puts down her chicken wing and shakes her head in agreement!
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/06 23:10:33 (permalink)
I love club sandwiches. If I see one on the menu, I will usually order it. I grew up on Cincinnati double and triple deckers. If I find a good one, I will go back.

Until I read this forum, I never realized what a hardship it was to put one together. Maybe I shouldn't order them anymore. Gee, I wouldn't want to piss off the kitchen staff. Maybe they should come out and let me know what I should order, so I can be easy on them.

It is a classic sandwich that I happen to think is delicious when made properly. To all the past, present and future kitchen staff, deal with it. That's what you are getting paid for and what I am paying for. It IS on your menu.

Boy, I really hope that no ever one knows where I eat or I REALLY will have to stop ordering my favorite Club Sandwiches.<g>
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/07 00:08:30 (permalink)
Gee whiz don't do that! If everyone who ordered one was as great an affectionado of the Classic Club it would be a pleasure all the time! Well maybe not at 7:00am.
Hmmm by chance have you had the triple beef-ham-turkey at JJ's or perhaps Price Hill Chili?
Best in the 'Nati!
PepperPhil
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/07 03:36:53 (permalink)
Oh those pictures bring back memories, just wish there was a place around here that would serve em that way.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/09 07:52:45 (permalink)
====They sure ain't a joy to make. Especially when your getting slammed and you get four or more clubs going to different tables.
The worse is working an all day menu and you get multiple clubs while your doing omlette's, pancakes, and eggs every which way. Hopefully you have a dishwasher that at least knows how to do toast.==

Pat T Hat....

There seems to be two camps here. Those who have to and hate to make Clubs, and those that love to eat them.

I understand and sympathize with your problem. The kitchen here has two, four slice toasters. What is unusual about this is that they actually work properly!!!! This compares to a previous restaurant where in the basement was the crypt of dead toasters.
If anyone has seen the toaster at Louis Lunchbox, that is a toaster that I want. I have never seen a conveyor belt toaster like theirs.

Your comments about a dishwasher does not apply to this place as we have these high school kids who do that job. There is something about these kids that if I was their father, I would have to give them a 'dope-slap'....

When you say that a dishwasher can help, you are basing this on how it was when a dishwaher would use that job as a stepping stone to a prep job, up to pantry and eventually a line position. What I have is a bunch of kids who are killing time until they get their parents to send them to college where they can continue to have no clue as to what to do with themselves and their future. Why should they care? They are inheritence kids... ....(end of rant).

mark

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/09 09:55:53 (permalink)

I didn't "Hate" to make them, they just took me out of the motion-study routine associated with burgers and fried foods. Those extra steps were not a big deal, but in the middle of a 'Noon-Rush' they would cause a bit of a comotion! Our Bacon was precooked, and the turkey slices (and Ham) were all done by a prep-Guy using a pretty tight portion control, so that part was ok. It was the assembly and presentation that needed more than the average amount of care, and usually received it. The Sandwich- when done right- is certainly "Pretty"!
PepperPhil
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/09 19:33:44 (permalink)
Ah, I still like em.....
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/09 21:05:31 (permalink)
The Club sandwiches at Reilly's at the north end of Hilton Head have been very good in the past. The one's I like best are the ones I make myself right after Thanksgiving or Xmas with leftover turkey breast. Oh, man! That roasted turkey with some Hormel Cure 81 ham, thin-sliced cheddar, and thick-sliced peppered bacon from the Fresh Market is "ALMOST" better than sex. Did I mention that I like Club sandwiches? It isn't as pretty as the one's in a restaurant, but who cares, as long as it tastes great. I do cut it into quarters and use toothpicks.

To answer a prior question. I haven't had the Price Hill Chili double deckers. I left Cinci in the early 70's. Back then we subsisted on clubs and triples from Century Inn, Acropolis chili and some places on Clifton Ave. that I no longer remember. My favorite triple decker has always been ham, beef and egg. La Rosa's was also a winner.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/09 21:29:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PepperPhil

Oh those pictures bring back memories, just wish there was a place around here that would serve em that way.

Amen. Also. Would you people believe that NO local grocery store in my area (INCLUDING a Super Wally's), sells sprouts??? Did in past; but no one (besides me, I guess) ever bought them. If you ever wanted to visit the Twilight Zone**, book a room in MY town.

** Yet, lard is available around here in both 5 and 10 gallon containers...
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/09 21:36:02 (permalink)
My grandmother used to take me to the lunch counter at the "Five in Ten" in Lewistown, PA...we'd always get the Turkey Club and a Cherry Coke....a real Cherry Coke made at the fountain by the Jerk (Soda Jerk, that is) behind the counter.......good memories!
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/10 16:01:24 (permalink)
I have a club sandwich every Sunday at the country club after church. The usual is all I say...no ham, no mayo, whole wheat, major extra veggies and mayo on the side for the fries.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/10 16:19:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

I have a club sandwich every Sunday at the country club after church. The usual is all I say...no ham, no mayo, whole wheat, major extra veggies and mayo on the side for the fries.

I bet they just love you!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/10 17:06:56 (permalink)
I can remember that the only thing I'd ever order when stiuck eating at a Holiday Inn was the club sandwich. Even they couldn't wreck a club sandwich.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 11:41:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

quote:
Originally posted by V960

I bet they just love you!

They better at least appear to love me...I'm on the board.
robonrex
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 12:19:40 (permalink)
A local restaurant here in los angeles called the pioneer takeout next to circuit city on sunset across from kcet television presents an interesting club.

It is different because its on a sub roll and it has mayo on the top and bottom of the bread which is kinda thick and sort of like ciabatta bread.

They put two slices of cold ham, thicker than usual, 2 slices of cheese, usually provolone, 2 thinner slices of turkey, and a couple of slices of roast beef from a cold beef roast medium well.

Everytime I go in I order this same version of an old favorite. There is something special about it, perhaps that it comes from deli meats kept in the fridge. And of course toothpicks, several.

YOu should try it if you are in the area just east of vermont, on sunset boulevard. I'll bet you'll like it too.
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 12:51:13 (permalink)
robonrex - sounds like a good sandwich, but if it's on a roll it ain't no Club.

My Dad would make clubs for us with leftovers from holiday turkeys. He'd done a little short-order cooking, and a lot more short-order eating. He insisted that a traditional Club was made with square Pullman bread. This made it easier to stack and resulted in uniform triangles. I'm not sure where you would find a Pullman loaf these days.

As for being one of the costlier items on the menu, that sometimes seems to be the case. However, when I was poor in NYC and at a coffee shop (what many NYC folks call a "diner") and didn't want another cheeseburger deluxe (always the best value on the menu, next to breakfast specials) the Club was my choice. Clubs were usually the only sandwich on the menu other than the burger deluxe that came with fries and slaw. Typically a tuna san with fries cost more than the full club platter. So the club was my splurge.
caratzas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 14:06:25 (permalink)
As a Northeasterner I'm horrified that there are places in this country where you can't get a real club sandwich. They're on the menu in just about every diner here, and, apologies to the staff that has to assemble them but they're a big favorite of mine. Two more tasty variations: egg salad club and cheeseburger club. And those sandwiches on rolls sound good but I'm sorry, if it ain't on toast (3 slices, preferably white, quartered and with toothpicks) it ain't a club. The next thing you know they'll be making cocktails with vodka and calling them martinis (Oh, they are? Well, that's it - the end times are here...)

Jimeats: How does a club loaf differ from a regular loaf of bread? Is it the thickness of the slices?

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 14:36:01 (permalink)
The squared off loaf of white bread has been called a "Sandwich Loaf" in most places i've lived. Slightly thinner slices than a regular loaf.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 18:21:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I can remember that the only thing I'd ever order when stiuck eating at a Holiday Inn was the club sandwich. Even they couldn't wreck a club sandwich.

The Holiday Inn -Portland West (Maine), where I worked before moving here, made the BEST club sandwiches.....
They use FRESH roasted turkey breast. Not that deli crapola!
I used to have one 3 times a week!
But I did always ask the cook if he minded making me one (again!)..
He never did!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 18:27:04 (permalink)
I do not mean to be rude but can anyone tell me the real definition of a club sandwich. To me it appears that it is just meat and whatever on toasted bread several layers high?

I have had club sandwiches many times and I always enjoyed them but they were never far out.

I just want to know?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
caratzas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 18:43:38 (permalink)
To me the original club is two layers separated by a slice of bread: 1st layer is turkey & mayo. 2nd layer is bacon, lettuce and tomato. All on white toast, quartered with toothpicks holding it all together. Variations substitute for turkey but the BLT layer stays the same.

Wikipedia says cheese is a traditional ingredient, so you might want to consider that, too (anybody can edit Wikipedia, so it's not necessarily the final word on anything): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_sandwich
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 19:53:46 (permalink)
The O'Charley's restaurant chain makes a pretty good club. Purists might cringe that they serve it with honey mustard rather than mayo. Not liking mayo it's fine with me, though.
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 20:02:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ctfrasier

The O'Charley's restaurant chain makes a pretty good club. Purists might cringe that they serve it with honey mustard rather than mayo. Not liking mayo it's fine with me, though.

Nah, you want the mayo on the sandwich and the Honey Mustard on the side to dip the sandwich in....mmmmmmmm. Houston's Restaurant style.
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 22:19:37 (permalink)
There seems to be a recent trend to replacing bacon on the club sandwich with ham.Dont know where this started,but I think it doesnt work because the crunch of the bacon is pretty much a critical component.If somebody thinks that ham is a viable replacement for bacon simply because its porky,their thinking has gone astray.My guess is its a cost consideration,which as usual results in inferior product.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 22:36:56 (permalink)
No bacon, no club. They have just made a ham and turkey double decker. They should call it that. Who knows maybe it'll catch on!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8652
RE: Club Sandwich 2007/01/18 23:26:35 (permalink)
I am not at all a fan of a club made with ham instead of bacon.All my life a club at every restaurant I ate at(up until now)was turkey and blt makings.Period.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1