Cob Smoked Ham

Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
2005/12/26 03:26:50 (permalink)

Cob Smoked Ham

I received an awesome 7.5lb Cob Smoked Spiral Cut Ham from Harringtons of Vermont for Christmas (one with the Maple Glaze).. Beyond awesome to say the least!

Now I'm curious about the Cob Smoking.. I've found very little info on it, and if I'm reading it right, it's 'Corn Cobs' that are used for smoking????? I find it hard to beleive since there's a hardwood taste (almost hickory like) throught the ham..

Anyone familiar with this style of smoking?

20 Replies Related Threads

peartree
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/26 07:09:23 (permalink)
    Oh Yes!!!!
    Old fashioned way of smoking hams here in Vermont. They use dried corn cobs during the smoking process which leads to an nice sweet tasting ham or bacon.

I make my own bacon and hams this way, after the curing process and they come out awesomme. Harringtons and Dakin farm products are the two biggies in this state that still do things the old way. Everybody should try them to see what a true New England treat they really are.

You were truly blessed in the food department this year.

peartree
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/26 12:24:40 (permalink)
    It is good! Plan on ordering a slab of bacon and maybe some pheasant from them now..
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/26 12:30:48 (permalink)
    Cob smoking is not unusual in Southern hams. For smoke, in addition to hardwood, a lot of Southern producers will use corn cobs.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/26 13:28:07 (permalink)
    I had never thought about smoking a ham with corn cobs. My grandfather had huge amounts of them left over after shelling corn. he had so much corn cobs left over from having the local miller make his corn meal. I wish he had know about doing that. His hams were salt and sugar cured in a smoke house. I never really understood why they called it a smoke house cause they did not smoke, they only cured with salt and sugar??? Go figure.

There was other things that he used fire and smoke for but this was mostly for a combination of corn, sugar, yeast and other neat flavors. That is another story. I am sure some of you can figure that out.

Corn cob sounds really good to me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/26 13:43:09 (permalink)
    We also had a Harrington's Ham this Xmas - we sliced it up thin forour tree trimming party on the 23rd- it was dekicious.

It is my understanding that the major wood used for smoking Harrington hams is maple and the corn cobs are an addition. We also have some harrington bacon and sausage - the bacon is very nice- very smokey. The sausage is OK, but needs more pepper and sage - it's kind of bland.

Please dont confuse the Harrington ham with cured and aged Smithfield and Southern Country hams - it is a different style entirely. It is not salty, but is quite smokey, moist, fine textured, and excellent for its type. It is a supermarket ham that has gone to college and learned some culture and taste.

BTW: Last year we had a ham from Broadbent's in Kentucky - it was an excellent country style ham and I'd happily order one again.

Cheers, John
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/26 17:33:54 (permalink)
    Anybody have a URL for Harrington ???
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18691
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/26 17:42:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Anybody have a URL for Harrington ???

www.harringtonham.com
    Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/26 18:41:01 (permalink)
    Harrington's of Vermont: http://www.harringtonham.com/

Hmm...looks interesting, I may give them a try. Compared to my favorite country ham producer, Col. Bill Newsom's Aged Kentucky Country Ham http://newsomscountryham.com/
    they seem expensive.

I did note Harrington's of Vermont claimed to guarantee their hams as the best you ever had.
    I sincerely doubt that, I have been ordering country hams from some of the best smokehouses in the country for many years now. I have found none so far that can compare to Newsom's.

If Harrington's wants to stand by their "guarantee," I would be very willing to do a side by side comparison. I just want the guarantee in writing though. I am fairly certain Harrington's would fall by the wayside as did all the other country hams I have tried.

You do have to hand it to Harrington's, though...if the guarantee is genuine, they really seem to have a lot of faith in their product. I think they are worth a try on that basis alone.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/26 21:17:48 (permalink)
    Greyghost, The Harrington, as I said previously, is NOT A COUNTRY HAM. it is more like a supermarket ham with a college education , so don't try to compare it to the Country hams you love - they are two different species of ham. And, yes, I'm gonna try the Newsom's Ham sometime this year, Im sure I'll like it

Cheers,
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2005/12/27 16:07:45 (permalink)
    I stopped at one of Harrington's stores in VT last summer, the samples alone were great. I spent more than $100.00 on a smoked ham, bacon, turkey and a few other items all of which were excellant. I highly recommend them. Just thinking about it makes me think that I am going to be ordering from them shortly.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2006/12/02 16:08:35 (permalink)
    Sounds like my sister may send another one this Xmas!!! Drooling already thinking about it!
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2724
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2006/12/11 21:08:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Sounds like my sister may send another one this Xmas!!! Drooling already thinking about it!

Vic - Thanks for reviving this thread. I had completely forgotten about corn cob smoked meats. I had ordered from Harrington's a long time ago and really enjoyed the hams I received.

But what really has me excited is using corn cobs the next time I make bacon and experimenting with it for other cuts of pork.

Jim
    tomrod
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2006/12/22 16:16:08 (permalink)
    I have recently discovered the cob smoked bacon from the North Country Smokehouse in New Hampshire. While it was baking it had a delicious aroma of smokiness!!! I definately enjoyed it. Can someone tell me why a Smithfield ham is so revered? I've never tried one before and I would like to. Also is a ham better with a bone or without? Thanks for your help.

North Country Smokehouse bacon
    http://ncsmokehouse.com/products.php?ProductCategoryID=2
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2006/12/22 17:14:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JRPfeff

quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Vic - Thanks for reviving this thread. I had completely forgotten about corn cob smoked meats. I had ordered from Harrington's a long time ago and really enjoyed the hams I received.

But what really has me excited is using corn cobs the next time I make bacon and experimenting with it for other cuts of pork.

Jim

Let me know how it turns out... I was plotting in the back of mind of doing something similar (though Cob mixed with hardwood).
    Received the ham on Tuesday! And sis was kind enough to toss in a cob smoked duck also!! Pulled the ham out of the freezer yesterday, and thawing out Daffy for next weekends festivites..
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2006/12/22 19:27:29 (permalink)
    Tomrod: Smithfield is rvered because it is the dry cured ham against which all other hams of that type are measured. To your or my taste a particular smithfield may not be better than some other country ham, but that is the standard. Personally, we bought a Kentucky country ham from Harmons this year are we are delighted with it - we chose the mild cure and it is closer to what those of us brought up in the northeast are used to in a ham- but better!

Ham, to me, always tastes better with the bone in. However, for a party a boneless ham is a lot more convenient to slice and serve and is still a special treat if from a good producer.

cheers, John
    mollydingle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2007/01/13 14:59:56 (permalink)
    B.S. and I are fans of both Harrington's and Dakin farm. A few years back we camped near Dakin's retail store and ended up going daily to get bacon, canadian bacon, sausage, etc. Our food budget that trip was completely blown but worth every penny. Nothing like sitting around a campfire with good food and drink.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2007/01/17 10:43:32 (permalink)
    I use cobs and hickory to smoke my bacon. Sometimes a bit of grape vine and apple wood get added.
    tomrod
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2007/11/04 19:47:12 (permalink)
    seafarer john,

Where is Harmons ham located? I can't seem to find them. Thanks for your help.

Tom
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2007/11/04 20:40:41 (permalink)
    Newsom's is someplace in Kentucky. See Greyghost's message above. I havn't tried one yet, but am considering it for Xmas this year. So many graet hams, so few years...

Cheers, john
    Seamist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Cob Smoked Ham 2008/03/26 11:49:13 (permalink)
    Harrington's and Dakin Farm hams are fantastic! Sorry I can't agree they are a supermarket ham that went to college however ! lol Please give them the credit they deserve. They have an all natural taste, unsalty, pure and tender. A totaly different texture and flavor than a supermarket ham, which often throws off the processed foods type person. Agreed, coutry ham is a whole 'nother ball game! You might also try the bacon ends. Delish! Perfect for tomato season for tomato sandwices or along side those morning eggs. We prefer Dakins, but they are not always available. Cheese lovers, go for the Vt cheddar in the waxed wheel. Fabulous with crackers and superb for mac and cheese delmonico potatoes etc! I cut some up in small pieces to freeze for cooking later.It is best eaten at room temperature.vt is known for fresh and natural. Try a fresh turkey or a fresh leg of lamb! Enjoy :)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1