Coca - Cola : What happened???

Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2004/05/31 13:55:04 (permalink)

Coca - Cola : What happened???

I have always loved Coke as my soda of choice but started noticing awhile back ( 2-3 years or more ) that it tasted different sometimes. Then I noticed the taste was just different period. I mentioned this to a friend who was employeed in the soft drink field and he let me in on a little secret.... they don't use sugar anymore in the soda.

Sure enough if you look at the ingredients sugar is not listed. You will find "high fructose corn syrup" followed by "and or sucrose". Ok, I have problems with this, then he told me that Coke manufactured in Mexico is still made with sugar. I asked "WHY"? His reply was that sugar costs more so most bottlers now use the other stuff, but once in awhile will use some sugar depending on the market price.

I refuse to drink Pepsi because I just don't like the taste, to each his own, but most sodas are "sugarfree", literally. I need to get some Coke from Mexico and I don't mean the powdery kind that USED to be in Coca-Cola either.

I do know that Coke from a fountain tastes different, as do cans and glass bottles, but the plastic bottles are the pits.

Dennis in the Triangle

22 Replies Related Threads

zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/05/31 15:15:14 (permalink)
    I am a huge Coke drinker and this news more than slightly irritates me. They should not mess with the taste of Coke!! Haven't they learned their lesson?
    prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/05/31 16:14:23 (permalink)
    The Mexican coke doesn't taste any better to me. As with most people, the small glass bottles taste better and seem to have more fizz....I'm sure it's in my head.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/05/31 16:26:23 (permalink)
    I'm a Coca-Cola freak...And my favorite way to drink it is unmixed from the fountain...where you get a glass of half soda, half seltzer and just mix it up yourself.

I HATE Coke in plastic anything.
    FoodBully
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/05/31 16:40:29 (permalink)
    If you want to get Coca-Cola with real sugar visit the following website: http://soda-pop.site.yahoo.net/soda-pop/

Not only do the have Coke from Mexico, but also Holland and France. Plus you can get Dr. Pepper with real sugar that I believe is still bottled somewhere in Texas.

Phil 3
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/05/31 16:50:16 (permalink)
    Sugar is a major crop here in Florida. We, meaning the citizens of the USA pay a $.25 premium on every pound of sugar to help the BIG sugar growers rape the Everglades. Of course corn syrup is cheaper. Don't blame Coke.

Keep this in mind if Kerry picks Bob Graham to be his running mate, Graham's family made its fortune destroying the Everglades.
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/05/31 17:43:17 (permalink)
    In 1984, Coke and Pepsi changed from cane sugar to "high fructose corn syrup"
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/05/31 20:12:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shewmaker

If you want to get Coca-Cola with real sugar visit the following website: http://soda-pop.site.yahoo.net/soda-pop/

Not only do the have Coke from Mexico, but also Holland and France. Plus you can get Dr. Pepper with real sugar that I believe is still bottled somewhere in Texas.

Phil 3

Oh nirvana............ Am going to place an order tonight. So much to chose from I see.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 749
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/05/31 21:01:36 (permalink)
    lucky us- we have a fairly large Mexican population in my town with the requisite number of bodegas..one large one [a small supermarket actually] carries the MexicanCoca-Cola AND Mexican Orange Crush [:P] COLD.... for a BUCK...
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 749
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/05/31 21:58:22 (permalink)
    I have heard rumors that certain kinds of fountain dispensers need to have real sugar for some reason,as the corn syrup tends to have shorter shelf life than the sugar in the post-mix canisters....also REAL Coca-Cola syrup can be found at the SLURPEE machine at your local 7-11 store**,for the same reasons as above- the corn syrup clogs up the Slurpee machines too easily,and doesnt have the shelf life..the Coke syrup in the Slurpee is definitely different [and better!] than the Coke 7-11 serves for its Big Gulps....

** and of course any place that has Coca-Cola ICEES
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/06/01 00:45:23 (permalink)
    The switchover to corn syrup in Cokes happened over two decades ago. The fact that you're only "noticing" it now suggests that it's not actually as big a change as it's made out to be.

Having lived in New Mexico for 13 years, where it's not at all hard to find bottled-in-Mexico Cokes, I occasionally held blind taste tests to see if I could honestly tell the difference. I couldn't, and neither could most of the other people I tried this with. I think it's mostly a case of wishful thinking.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/06/01 09:46:22 (permalink)
    If you are looking for Coke made with sugar instead of corn syrup, and live in a area with jewish population, I would suggest getting Kosher for Passover Coke. Corn syrup is not Kosher for passover for most Jews so Coke runs a special bottling of their product that uses sugar. You missed it this year, but there is always next.

I know a lot of people that dont celebrate the holiday by stock up during this time.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/06/01 11:27:50 (permalink)
    I just bought some six packs of Dr. Pepper in Hico, Tx that is bottled in Dublin. Tx where they still use sugar.

Depending on the size town you live in, some stores will have the Mexico Coke. Even some places that import furniture and food stuffs like World Market sell soft drinks from distant shores.

And of course as mentioned before, there's always on-line internet buying of exotic sodas.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/06/01 13:36:37 (permalink)
    I have noticed the difference in Cokes just in what area of the country I am in. I guess it has to do with the bottler? I don't know, but I know when I lived in NYC metro area, the Cokes weren't nearly as fizzy as the ones I got back home in PA. And I can tell you, Coke just tastes the best when you have one in the Atlanta area. Am I the only one who has noticed this phenomenon?

Speaking of Coke with sugar and Coke with corn syrup: When I met my husband, I thought it was odd that he had a six pack of Coke displayed proudly in his house. When I asked him about it, he said that it would become a collector's item some day because it was one of the last made with real sugar. We met in 1989 so this would have made the soda about 5 years old. Well when we moved in together a little over a year later, the neck of one bottle broke in transit. He saved what he could from the broken bottle in a cup. He tasted it and it was foul! It was flat and almost pure syrup.

Coca-Cola does not age like fine wine!!!
    Map Maven
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/06/28 17:02:57 (permalink)
    Related question: Why does Coke taste so different in cans than it does in bottles (or from a fountain)? I'm not talking about the typical can aftertaste. I think there's something in the Coke formula that reacts to the can and significantly changes the flavor. I've never perceived this difference with other sodas.
    MikoEats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/06/28 20:32:14 (permalink)
    Well, Coke is a fairly strong acid. It will leach comounds out of whatever container it's in, and you can taste them. Glass is the better prepared-Coke packaging as it's the most corrosion resistant. I find that both plastic and aluminum leave a distinct taste. But the only way a Coke is the Real Thing for me is fountain-mixed; that can mean either mixed automatically (as with fast-food dispensers) or hand-mixed at an old-time soda counter (these beat all!)
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/06/28 21:26:22 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Since I am ensconced in Georgia, virtually all my available Coke products come from Atlanta. We can obtain Mexican Coca-Cola, but not the Diet version, which I must drink because I can't take sugar in quantity.
    The answer to your question is to search out the remaining independent Coke bottlers across the nation. One is in Elizabethtown, Kentucky; another in DuQuoin, Illinois... both of these still use 100% cane sugar, or so I am informed by a purist who drinks nothing but 6-ounce bottles of the stuff.
    There is a network of people who can supply you with information. It is partly maintained by bottlers. The Elizabethtown plant is owned by the Schaefer family, who have had it since the likes of 1907 and are not about to sell at any price. There are still a few independents in small towns in the South (one in Alabama, if I remember correctly), but none in my area.
    I still remember how good the 6-ounce bottles of Coke were that were filled in Wauchula, Florida by a now-defunct (no family to carry it on) independent. Their fountain Cokes were amazingly good. The plant only filled 6-ouncers and produced draft for the local market.
    I hope this helps you. I'll be interested to see what you turn up, even if I can't drink it anymore.
    Fizzily, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. The plants in Dothan, Alabama and Quincy, Florida may well still be independents. The Coca-Cola company is slow to give out this information because they want people to buy their corporately-produced product!
    Outinc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/10/01 20:04:33 (permalink)
    There is a big taste difference between U.S. Coke and Pepsi compared with Mexican Coke and Pepsi. The sugar makes the difference.

Mexican Coke and Pepsi can be bought online at: www.MexicanCola.com

I've bought from them before and the service is great.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/10/01 22:16:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Outinc

There is a big taste difference between U.S. Coke and Pepsi compared with Mexican Coke and Pepsi. The sugar makes the difference.

Whewww Outrageous prices on that site! Then if that dont kill your wallet, the shipping charges will!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3284
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/10/05 23:06:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:
    Originally posted by Outinc

Whewww Outrageous prices on that site! Then if that dont kill your wallet, the shipping charges will!

UncleVic,

Let your fingers do the walking! You live close to Grand Rapids. Find a Hispanic grocery or produce store. Most will stock that sweet Coke product and it will probably be very reasonably priced. Every Hispanic grocery store I shopped in southeastern carries the stuff.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/10/06 08:57:05 (permalink)
    Well, I don't know how useful this will be for you in North Carolina, but at Passover time (usually in April, around Easter), if you can find Kosher for Passover Coke (it will be marked with either a Kosher for Passover mark, or a K with a P next to it) it will be made with sugar, not corn syrup, because corn is not Kosher for Passover. So find a Jewish neighborhood and buy some Kosher for Passover coke. This is also true of preserves and other things that manufacturers having been making with the cheaper, sweeter corn syrup.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/10/06 09:07:01 (permalink)
    This article ran in the local newspaper here as well in the past week or so
    http://www.beverageworld.com/beverageworld/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000632881

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3284
    RE: Coca - Cola : What happened??? 2004/10/08 12:42:49 (permalink)
    Today's Chicacago Tribune ran an article entitled "Savoring the sweet taste of home." In a Chicago's Mexican-American neighborhoods, residents prefer Coke made in their home country. They say there's no substitution for their home grown product which uses cane sugar.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1