Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 45 of 45
MsDiPesto

• Total Posts: 31
RE: Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Mon, 03/9/09 12:05 AM (permalink)
I haven't heard of Cocoa Marsh in ages, I used to see advertisements for it as a kid watching WRGB from Schectady, NY. I remember the pump was a big deal. Never had it though, like an earlier poster, Nestle Quik was the additive that ended up in the grocery cart. Not sure if I even saw it in the stores in the Mid Hudson Valley, but remember one of those syrup products that was called a "milk amplifier" which tickled me as I was starting to play electric guitar.

Linny25

• Total Posts: 3
    cocoa marsh Tue, 06/23/09 9:32 PM (permalink)
    I remember cocoa marsh very well, does anyone out there remember when they had a tall metal cap on it, and when you took it off there was a prize inside!!

albinoni

• Total Posts: 149
      Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Mon, 07/27/09 12:32 PM (permalink)
      I remember Cocoa Marsh being the sponsor of a kid's show I used to watch with Claude Kirshner and Clownie.  Can anyone remember the name of the show? I can't remember a single thing about that show other than the Cocoa Marsh ads.

Jamie638

• Total Posts: 7
        Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Mon, 07/27/09 12:46 PM (permalink)
        albinoni

I remember Cocoa Marsh being the sponsor of a kid's show I used to watch with Claude Kirshner and Clownie.  Can anyone remember the name of the show? I can't remember a single thing about that show other than the Cocoa Marsh ads.

The show was called Super Circus and Claude Kirschner was the ringmaster.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
          Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Mon, 07/27/09 7:12 PM (permalink)
          Jamie638

albinoni

The show was called Super Circus and Claude Kirschner was the ringmaster.

I think that's an earlier show. The one broadcast by WOR (Ch. 9) out of NYC was called Terrytoons Circus.

crazybob

• Total Posts: 55
            Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Sun, 08/16/09 12:14 PM (permalink)
            In Phila. & the Delaware Valley, Cocoa Marsh was advertised on "Popeye Theatre" with "Our Gal Sal", Sally Starr. WFIL channel six. Sally did live spots between the cartoons. She is now 86, & lives in Atco, NJ.

Bigapetite

• Total Posts: 54
              Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Sun, 08/16/09 4:59 PM (permalink)
              Cocoa Marsh also brings back memories for me with kids singing Marsh, Marsh, Cocoa Marsh.
              It was Bosco and Fox's U bet in my house because the big turn off for me was that I always associated Cocoa Marsh with Marshmallows and I never cared for them.
              Seems I missed out.

Thanks all for bringing back a bit of my childhood

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Thu, 08/12/10 2:47 PM (permalink)
                Just looked at this old thread...I remember Cocoa Marsh was a sponsor on a very old kids show from the early 50's: Pat Michael's Magic Cottage...I think that's where I first heard of that great chocolate syrup..We're using Bosco again, since it is carried by all supermarkets around here...MUCH thiicker tan Hershey's!

tbroido

• Total Posts: 1
                  Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Tue, 03/22/11 10:57 AM (permalink)
                  The show was on WOR in NY (Channel 9). It was called, I believe "Claude Kirshner's Cartoon Circus. Clownie was a hand puppet with an incredibly irritating voice.  Cocoa Marsh was the first of the major syrups to have a pump so I wanted my mother to get it but she refused because we were a Nestle's Quick family. Soon after that Bosco, which sponsored Officer Joe Bolton's Three Stooges show on Channel 5 (WNEW?), also came out with a pump. My mother did buy that a couple of times.  Thinking back to the Kirshner show, I imagine it might have been the cheapest set in television history. He was basically in a telephone booth with one stationary camera and the circus ring was about 18" in diameter.

leethebard

Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Tue, 03/22/11 2:43 PM (permalink)
                    Channel 5 was WNEW and I ermember both shows and loved both Cocoa Marsh and Bosco..or Hershey's in a can...no powdered chocolate in my family!!!

butch michael

• Total Posts: 4
                      Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Thu, 08/15/13 8:05 PM (permalink)
                      LEETHEBARD, you hit on a good one in Cocoa Marsh ! It was the only way I drank milk as a kid since I hated white milk. It's too bad that the Taylor - Reed company didn't keep this product going, it was superior to the other brands. From what I have read, the company just didn't want to modernize and keep up  with the complications of advertising and merchandising. I also e-mailed Kellog's about the possibility of bringing back Kellog's Concentrate cereal but they said consumer demand does not warrant its production. 

leethebard

Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Thu, 08/15/13 10:39 PM (permalink)
                        This old thread never dies...I only wish Cocoa Marsh would have lived as long. I still buy Bosco, but my taste buds don't remember if today's Bosco is the same formula. I hope it is. I just hate it when a new concotion tries to pass as a classic brand...Today's coke with corn syrup...today's KFC chicken...rtc...etc.
                             At least we have our memories of Cocoa Marsh.
                        <message edited by leethebard on Thu, 08/15/13 10:40 PM>

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                          Re:Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Thu, 08/15/13 10:41 PM (permalink)
                          Don't think I ever tried Cocoa Marsh.  I liked Nesquik as a kid when they were still just calling it Nestle's "Quik".  I bought some last week and it had a really artificial flavor to it.  

I tried Bosco a few times after hearing George Costanza talk about it on "Seinfeld" and just never liked it.  

Have loved Hershey's since I was a kid and still do though I am currently mourning the loss of their WHOPPERS line of malted chocolate syrup.  A friend of mine who works for Hershey's confirmed to me that it is no longer in production.  

My all-time favorite has to be Fox's U-Bet.  The grocery store in my building sells it for $4.99 but Economy Candy on the Lower East Side has it for $2.99.  Score!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                            RE: Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Fri, 08/16/13 6:10 PM (permalink)
                            David_NYC

They also made 'E-Z Pop" popcorn, if that will jog anybody's memory.

Jogs mine:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbn-P7KCOGg

But Cocoa Marsh must have been an NE "thing"; it never made it as far west as Pittsburgh.  And I'd certainly know as I had to have chocolate in my milk - Hershey's, Bosco, Nesquick, or, in a pinch, Ovaltine. 

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                              RE: Cocoa Marsh Chocolate syrup Mon, 09/2/13 4:25 PM (permalink)
                              Bosco was more popular, and we would occasionally buy Hershey's in the little can or Nestle's Quik, but our regular was Cocoa Marsh. I loved the pump as it reminded me of soda fountains.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 45 of 45

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com