Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change

Author
tooslimnc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2007/09/26 22:18:11 (permalink)

Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change

The Sterns made a visit and posted a review of the Coffee Cup in Charlotte NC with the warning that it was being threatened with a possible closure due to urban redevelopment. That has taken place. The original location is now closed, but they have opened two new locations. One at Cameron Building 301 S McDowell , and the University City area 9311 JW Clay Blvd . Heard they salvaged the historic sign and have hung it at one of the locations.

18 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10445
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/09/27 07:53:12 (permalink)
    tooslimnc-
    Thanks for the info. This is timely since I plan on visiting Charlotte soon and I most certainly would have tried eating at The Coffee Cup and would have wondered what happened. If you find out which location received the old sign, please let us know. I will probably go to that location.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7921
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/09/27 08:18:36 (permalink)
    Oddly enough the website www.coffeecupsoul.com
    still lists the original address
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/09/27 17:05:44 (permalink)
    WJ-
    That does seem odd. I just tried calling and I got the answering machine. So I sent an email instead. I will let you know what they reply.
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/18 10:52:21 (permalink)
    I will be off to Charlotte after Thanksgiving and have three burning questions:
    (a) Any update on the status of the Coffee Cup?
    (b) If the Coffee Cup is still open somewhere and you could only eat only one breakfast in Charlotte, would you go there or John's Country Kitchen?
    (c) Does the Bar B Q King have any seating or are you of out luck if you don't bring your own?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/18 11:37:24 (permalink)
    Kenny Joe-
    I did not receive a reply to the email I sent, which is a little disappointing. You might have to call. If you go, please let us know what you found out.

I don't remember any indoor or outdoor seating at BBQ King, but I haven't been there in four years. You will most likely be eating in your car.

Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/18 19:54:57 (permalink)
    There has been no "my car" for many years, so I will probably check out Lupie's and the Penguin Drive-In instead, unless someone else has another suggestion. I was interested in the perch sandwich offered by Bar B Q King, though. It doesn't look like I'll find a fish sandwich of any kind at the other two joints.
    OtterSammich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/21 20:38:02 (permalink)
    the coffee cup moved out to university place, near unc charlotte. not far from i-85, harris blvd exit.
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/22 17:45:48 (permalink)
    Thanks, Otter. Following BB's suggestion, I called and found out the telephone number on the website has been disconnected. I was gonna give up until I got your message. I'll assume that the Coffee Cup is now open at the University City address listed in the first post of this thread, despite the information on the website and the email and telephone issues.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/27 00:01:44 (permalink)
    Kenny Joe-
    I would appreciate if you could report back what you found out about the Coffee Cup's current situation. I am planning on a trip to Charlotte in December and I am very curious about the place.
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/27 00:14:21 (permalink)
    The Coffee Cup is indeed open at 9311 JW Clay Blvd. I was in Charlotte Saturday and headed to the Coffee Cup for lunch. As I got farther and farther out Tryon St, I became less and less confident of finding a spot worthy of a Roadfood review. The development that far out is the kind that favors chains, and indeed is sometimes restricted to national chains. Nonetheless, I found the Coffee Cup nestled in a new unremarkable brick building much like its chain store neighbors. Although the physical ambiance may not have been Roadfood quality, the human ambiance and the food fit the bill. I had the croaker with greens and yams. The croaker wasn't that great, but it would have been hard to improve on the yams and greens. If I ever get back here, I might be tempted to go with a vegetable plate.

Despite the fact that I have no car, I had dinner at the Penguin Drive-In. I was lucky to find a single stool at a counter; the place gets very crowded on a Saturday night. Taking my cue from the big BBQ sign, I ordered a BBQ plate. I have not had Carolina style BBQ in years, and it took a few bites for my mouth to accept that it was not going to be filled with thick, sweet, spicy BBQ sauce. That was a good thing, because such a sauce would have killed the fine subtle smoky flavor of the tender pork. The hush puppies and beans that came with it were also very good, but I could have passed on the slaw.

Unfortunately, the third place I wanted to visit, John's Country Kitchen, was closed for Thanksgiving weekend.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/27 08:04:23 (permalink)
    Kenny Joe-
    Thanks for getting back to us with the info on Coffee Cup's new location. And I'm glad to hear that for the most part, the food is still good. It has been mixed reviews at best on here lately. Did they hang old classic Roadfood sign at this location?

For not having a car, you sure did get around!
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/27 20:06:29 (permalink)
    I remembered reading about the old sign, so I looked around for it but did not see it.
    This was my first visit to the Coffee Cup, so it may well be that although I enjoyed my meal, the quality of the food has declined. If that is the case, it would confirm my opinion about the odds of finding anything worthwhile in sterile developments such as the one the Coffee Cup now calls home. And I am certainly no expert in soul food. In fact, one of the reasons I picked the Coffee Cup is because, as you know, opportunities to eat this fine cuisine in Pittsburgh are limited. In any case, I hope you visit the Coffee Cup and share your opinion. Also, if you haven't found it, you should check out the Carolina Thanksgiving/BBQ Bonanza thread before heading to Charlotte
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/11/28 08:25:21 (permalink)
    Kenny Joe-
    You are right that soul food in Pittsburgh is practically non-existent. But you may want to check out a new place in the Strip (on Penn Avenue right at the base of the 16the Street Bridge) called Big Mama's House of Soul. I have been there there once and while the service was slow (everything is take-out), the food was actually pretty good. I know that many of the Steelers who grew up in the South have become regulars.

Thanks again for all the info on Coffee Cup. Once I make it there, I will give you a report back and let you know what I think.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/12/11 14:49:29 (permalink)
    Apparently the new uptown location of the Coffee Cup has just openened
    http://www.charlotte.com/274/story/387748.html
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/12/11 15:28:51 (permalink)
    I'm happy to see that there's an uptown location. It was a long bus ride out to the wilds of University Place. The article also explains why the owner ended up in University Place: "Wilson was able to open quickly at University Place by moving into a recently closed restaurant building and getting a temporary certificate of occupancy."
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2007/12/11 15:31:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kenny Joe

I'm happy to see that there's an uptown location. It was a long bus ride out to the wilds of University Place. The article also explains why the owner ended up in University Place: "Wilson was able to open quickly at University Place by moving into a recently closed restaurant building and getting a temporary certificate of occupancy."

I'm going to be in Charlotte for a few days in February- I look forward to checking out the Coffee Cup's new location as well as Price's Chicken Coop and Hopefully Spoon's BBQ as well.
    BullyBreeder
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2008/01/15 15:22:41 (permalink)
    I recommend Price's 100%!!!!!!!!!!! Have you seen that Feb 8 on FN Bobby Flay is doing his taste of Charlotte and he visits the Coffee Cup!
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    RE: Coffee Cup, Charlotte NC---Address Change 2008/01/15 15:35:48 (permalink)
    WJ, thanks for the tip that you're heading for Spoon's BBQ...an extra large fire has been lit underneath me to get that review posted!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1