Coke, Pepsi, RC or another?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
mistertawny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
2005/01/22 12:05:48 (permalink)

Coke, Pepsi, RC or another?

Well I was remembering something a waitress said to me a while back, and I say it yesterday getting a bite at a local foodery. Pepsi drinkers will drink Coke if it's the only thing available, but Coke drinkers will not consider another cola. I am a dedicated Coke drinker who firmly beleives that Pepsi is an evil plot by an ancient regime to corrupt the taste buds of youth.

I can say that in the south I find no conflict drinking RC, or some regional colas. But Pepsi just leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

My definition of the perfect cola:

I have a mid 50's Dole three pull outboard motor style Coca Cola dispenser. Gravity feed or pre mix if you will. I play with the settings (little washers) to get a bit less syrup than recommnded, and I run the carbonation up as high as is safe. It gives you a SUPER fizzy soda, that is light but with more flavor and *KICK* due to the extra carbonation. I also use crushed ice to get the residual "snow cone" effect. Man it sure is good.

130 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 12:26:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mistertawny

I am a dedicated Coke drinker who firmly beleives that Pepsi is an evil plot by an ancient regime to corrupt the taste buds of youth.

I am a PepsiCo stockholder who thinks "mistertawny" is actually Satan come up to destroy all happiness in this world.

But just so you know, I buy whichever "major" (Coke or Pepsi) brand is on sale cheapest. Pepsi doesn't really need my money. Sodas are just a sidelight for them in spite of the name. They make the REAL money on Gatorade, bottled water, OJ, and Frito-Lay salty snacks.

PS: They will use some of that money to destroy you "mistertawney"
    frankos72
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 12:42:08 (permalink)
    IMO It's just a matter of what your used to.

I used to only drink Coke and Mt. Dew. I forced myself to switch to Diet coke after watching a show on Tv that explained sodas as part of the reason 1 in 3 americans will be diabetic by 2050. Used to I couldn't stand Diet coke, now I think regualar coke tastes horrible! Go figure. I think it's really all about what your used to. Not to mention I think that the Aspertame in DC is bad for your brain ad now I'm trying to retrain my buds to unsweetened fresh brewed Iced Tea. Far as I can tell no one says it's bad for you yet.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 12:44:49 (permalink)
    Lol, like BT I buy Coke or Pepsi, whichever is on sale, will drink RC if I am in an area that has it!

The Lady
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 12:47:51 (permalink)
    I will not drink Pepsi for any reason. Many a waitress has been told "No, Pepsi is not ok, bring me a sweet tea". My wife can vouch for this as she can drink either and be happy.

Dennis in Cary
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 13:07:10 (permalink)
    i am a diet coke person all the way.. but sometimes if RC is on sale i'll buy it-- that's not too bad..but i do not like pepsi.. (but will drink it if that's all they've got-- diet though. not regular....)
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 13:07:26 (permalink)
    In reference to BT: I, too, am a PepsiCo stockholder. But, for me, it's Coke -- actually, Diet Coke. Won't drink Pepsi.

Used to like RC, but haven't had it in many years.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 13:11:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Spudnut

In reference to BT: I, too, am a PepsiCo stockholder. But, for me, it's Coke -- actually, Diet Coke. Won't drink Pepsi.

Used to like RC, but haven't had it in many years.

Actually, what I drink is the "caffeine-free" diet versions of either Coke or Pepsi. I prefer beverages that are entirely synthetic with no natural ingredients whatever.
    rhpenland
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 13:12:20 (permalink)
    While I'll suffer a Pepsi if nothing else is around, I *much* prefer Coke to Pepsi. Pepsi just tastes... well... too "fake". Not sure what I mean by that exactly as its hard to quantify, but it just doesn't taste like a cola should (with all apologies to Pepsi stockholders :) ). I like an occasional RC as a change of pace, as well. If only Pepsi products are on sale and coke packs are ridiculously high, I usually get myself some Dr. Pepper (around here Dr. Pepper is bottled by Pepsi bottlers and thus goes with the price of Pepsi - that should help the Pepsi stock :) ).

Rob
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 14:06:45 (permalink)
    anything BUT COLA!--usually either lemonade,limaid or tea---if its gonna be soda then i like lemon lime typs0or fruit--like orange soda!! I've got a "baby brother" that works for coke and gets upset if we buy a pepsi product--mostly because hes got stock in Coke--i keep telling him when he orders coke so his stock will go up that he will need to order about 12billion of them to raise his stock price a nickel!!! I do however like the ever growing collection of limeted edition bottles that he send me all the time and the six paick of Red Sox world series cans is cool!!--alon with my santa bottles---but i dont drink them!!!and havent since Mrs Beard--my 4th grade teacher--suspended a tooth in a coke and let us see how long it took for it to desolve!!!!--we did however use it to derust the chrome on my 51 Studebaker!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 14:42:45 (permalink)
    I am a Pepsi drinker drinking at least 2 cans every day (no diet, no caffeine-free, no BS). This is the major liquid I drink (no coffee, tea, beer, or wine, practically no milk, seldom a mixed drink, rarely any water, occasionally some fruit juice). If I am at a restaurant that doesn't have Pepsi, I will drink Coke, but unless the restaurant has really fantastic food, I probably won't eat there again. I think Coke just doesn't have enough taste to it, and RC is worse (sort of a diluted Coke). The worst cola I have ever had (I don't even know if they still make it) was HoJo Cola at Howard Johnson's many years ago. In my opinion, it was diluted RC, which means it was colored water with absolutely NO flavor.
    By the way, I don't have any stock in Pepsi, though I wish I had.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 14:53:59 (permalink)
    I am a 'coke' man(especially in bottles) but pepsi will do. Like TIKI,I also go for non-colas,specifically Mountain Dew or 7-up. All of these pale from my boyhood beverage of choice,that being Moxie,which as every 'Boston and points north'residence knows,is a drink either loved or loathed.
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 15:04:20 (permalink)
    I'll take Coke over Pepsi any day of the week. In fact, I dislike all Pepsi products. They are too sweet and taste terrible. RC is bland, but it's better than Pepsi.

If you want a really good cola, try a brand that contains pure cane surgar instead of high fructose corn syrup. They tend to be smoother and less acidic. Here's a brand I like:

http://www.whooppeesoda.com/
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 15:13:44 (permalink)
    I am a coke person, most decidedly! I really miss soda fountain cherry drinks! Can't stand that stuff they call cherry coke now. I have taken to buying gingerale and mixing it with grenadine(shirley temple) to get a cherry soda now. In the Stern's SQUARE MEALS they reccommend taking the juice from a bottle of marachino cherries and pouring it into a coke!! That is yummy but a bit expenisve if you drink it alot!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 15:21:05 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    I'll take Sundrop Golden Cola from Salisbury, North Carolina or Double Cola from Chattanooga, Tennessee anytime over any of the majors.
    Of the majors, RC is my hands-down favorite - and not because they're the "underdog" - because I actually prefer the product.
    What I reallllly love, though, is Cheerwine, Red Rock Ginger Ale, Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale, and/or Blenheim Ginger Ale. Unfortunately, not all of these come in sugarless versions, which I must drink (although I can backslide once in a blue moon).
    Ordinarily, if offered Maker's Mark Whiskey, I will drink it neat (with an ice water on the side), but a mistake was made at The Globe one night and Robert handed me a Maker's and Blenheim Old # 3. It was the likes of 90 degrees out at 11:00 P. M. and the local world was steamier than any production of Tennessee Williams' "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" has ever been. I have to say that Robert's "mistake" was one of the most refreshing things I've ever tasted; it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to finish it, I savored it that much. (I not only tipped him well, I hugged him besides.)
    Right now, however, my refrig contains Publix Diet Cola, which is as good or better than anything else locally findable, and for $1.99 a 12-pack, I'd be an idiot to drink anything else.
    Cola-terally, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Effervescent Athens, Georgia.
    ladytenor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 16:27:20 (permalink)
    I agree on the cola with pure cane sugar. Classic Coke (before they foisted New Coke on us) was made with pure cane sugar, then when they brought back Coke Classic they were using high fructose corn syrup, which is why Coke Classic didn't taste like "Old Coke".
    Speaking of colas that taste like colored water, don't waste your money on the Sam's Choice (Wal-mart) cola. That is the most horrible stuff I have had in my life.
    Diet drinks just haven't been the same since they banned cyclamates (am I showing my age)
    I'm not much of a cola drinker. My husband prefers Pepsi and RC over Coke. I'll drink unsweetened freshbrewed iced tea over anything else. I like the Diet Rite Tangerine and White Grape flavors, ginger ale, Sierra Mist, Cheerwine, Dr. Pepper, Sunkist Orange, Squirt, Fresca.
    I hate the Cherry Coke..it tastes like cough syrup to me. I do like Wild Cherry Pepsi and Cherry RC.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 16:31:40 (permalink)
    I love ORANGE CRUSH & HIRE'S ROOTBEER, unfortunately you can no longer find or buy either of these in Southwestern Michigan.

When it comes to Coke, Pepsi, or RC....I buy which ever one that is cheap!!!!
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 17:50:31 (permalink)
    I don't drink much cola, as I try to limit my caffeine intake to my chocolate addiction, but when I do, it's Classic coke or RC. I agree with Ort on Double Cola, but alas I can only get it when I journey south. My sody pops tend to be Cherry 7up, Schweppes Ginger Ales, Welch's or Grapette, and Sierra Mist. Sweet tea and Mint tea are favorites, but my true poison is a tall glass of icy cold milk.
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 18:05:23 (permalink)
    I live on the West Coast and it seems that Coke and Pepsi taste different out here than they do in other parts of the country. Has anyone else noticed this? The cola out here is less sweet, a little more acidic, and not as carbonated. When I have a coke or Pepsi in other parts of the country it tastes so good! But out here they taste really bad in comparison. Do the cola makers make different formulas for different regions of the country?
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 18:25:22 (permalink)

Maybe that's because of California's strict environmental statutes:

"CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS RULES

By Katie Eagan, Associate Editor

Sep 1, 2004 12:00 PM

EMAIL THIS ARTICLEE-mail this article

With everyone from scientists to politicians to manufacturers voicing opinions about emissions to the environment, it's almost enough to get lost in all of the noise. However, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has recently released a document....."

Hence the low carbonation in the sodas.....?

Frank

BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 20:34:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

Maybe that's because of California's strict environmental statutes:

"CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS RULES

By Katie Eagan, Associate Editor

Sep 1, 2004 12:00 PM

EMAIL THIS ARTICLEE-mail this article

With everyone from scientists to politicians to manufacturers voicing opinions about emissions to the environment, it's almost enough to get lost in all of the noise. However, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has recently released a document....."

Hence the low carbonation in the sodas.....?

Frank

Your winking smiley suggests you don't understand how close to the truth you may be. I'm not sure if the Air Quality Board has gone after soda pop yet, but they HAVE come down on bakeries. You may not have considered that the product of all that yeast rising all that dough is ALCOHOL which gets vaporised when the bread is baked, resulting in the wonderful smell of baking bread. In CA, this is considered AIR POLLUTION and a big no-no. Bakeries now have to control their emissions. So do restaurants that exhaust grease and smoke from cooking. For all I know, Coke and Pepsi bottlers do too.

But I must admit I have not noticed any difference in the taste of cola around the country. Like others here, I have drunk DIET colas for years and now prefer them. The regular stuff seems sickeningly sweet. But I do notice a big difference between a canned/bottled cola and one from a fountain machine, the latter being very much my preference. Best of all, of course, are places that put the machine out where you can help yourself to free refills.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 20:43:53 (permalink)
    The last time the Union Pacific ran their Steam locomotive pulling a special train into L A (through Cajon Pass) it took over 6 months...and a series of public hearings by the Air Quality Folks, to get all the permits to let them run that Locomotive ONE time Into and Out of the city.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 20:50:24 (permalink)
    Originally posted by garryd451

I love ORANGE CRUSH & HIRE'S ROOTBEER, unfortunately you can no longer find or buy either of these in Southwestern Michigan. "

yes you can get orange crush in southwestern michigan.. we stop at a mini mart/gas station on the way home from silver beach-- it's a gas station on old 31 in berrien springs (right at bypass entrance) and they sell grape crush and orange crush-- in glass bottles..and i think it's only like .99/bottle..

go get some.. :)

ps.. maybe see ya at the ice festival on the 5th.. we'll have to get in touch and see about meeting up somewhere.. if you want to?? ok??
    talk soon..
    ~~ jerseygirl~~

garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/22 21:54:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jerseygirl127

Originally posted by garryd451

I love ORANGE CRUSH & HIRE'S ROOTBEER, unfortunately you can no longer find or buy either of these in Southwestern Michigan. "

yes you can get orange crush in southwestern michigan.. we stop at a mini mart/gas station on the way home from silver beach-- it's a gas station on old 31 in berrien springs (right at bypass entrance) and they sell grape crush and orange crush-- in glass bottles..and i think it's only like .99/bottle..

go get some.. :)

ps.. maybe see ya at the ice festival on the 5th.. we'll have to get in touch and see about meeting up somewhere.. if you want to?? ok??
    talk soon..
    ~~ jerseygirl~~

Thanks for the tip on orange Crush, I know where that gas station is!
    I used to get it in single glass bottles around dowagaic and Niles at gas stations, but haven't seen it lately.

No, I won't be at the ice festival. My oldest boy has a wrestling meet that day and my younger boy has a basketball game. I wish we could go.

Have fun!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/23 01:05:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The last time the Union Pacific ran their Steam locomotive pulling a special train into L A (through Cajon Pass) it took over 6 months...and a series of public hearings by the Air Quality Folks, to get all the permits to let them run that Locomotive ONE time Into and Out of the city.

Considering how uninterested in passenger service their dispatchers are, I don't have much sympathy for the Union Pacific. Last year, when I was trying to get home, the Sunset Limited was amazingly on-time all the way from Orlando to Benson, AZ. Just west of Benson, the UP dispatchers put us on a siding for 6 HOURS and let 6 freights go by, so I was six hours late (9 PM--->3 AM) getting into Tucson which was probably in sight the whole time. And no telling how many people on that train said, "Never again" to taking AMTRAK after that.

I'd love to see that steam locomotive roll into town--I just wish somebody else owned it.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/23 16:13:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed
    my true poison is a tall glass of icy cold milk.

Redtressed,
    You're wonderful! I sincerely wish my arms reached far enough to hug you for that wonderful statement. This is the best I can do (((((U))))) for now.
    Unflirtingly Politely And Utterly Sincerely, Ort. in 30601.
    P. S. The next time I find canned Double Cola and/or Diet Double Cola, I'll make a note as to where... then I'l e-mail you and see which you want and how much... then I'll just go back there and glom it up and send it to you, by gum. Or maybe bring it in warmer weather.
    P. P. S. I like regular milk, too (not 2%) - but what I really crave is old-timey-style buttermilk, especially the variety with the butter flecks in it. It's getting impossible to find a product like that in these parts.
    P. P. P. S. A restaurant over west of here - Loganville, I think it is - has something on their menu called a Snellville Milkshake. That's a glass of buttermilk with crumbled-up homemade cornbread in it. Acording to my correspondent, the bulk of what the place has otherwise is lacklustre, but that's the standout. Suits me.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5216
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/24 13:29:13 (permalink)
    Growing up it was RC most of the time, Coke when it was on sale, and never Pepsi. After I moved out I went years without drinking RC but nowadays every so often I'll stash a few cans in my basement fridge.

Remember "Worms"? I think that was Pepsi's cherry cola back in the '70s...white can with a red label.

Ort., ginger ale is also excellent with Southern Comfort (the black neckband, not the low-octane stuff). I learned at least 1 useful thing in college...

Brad O.
    varelas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/24 15:11:17 (permalink)
    Because of the Atkins diet, it diet orange for now.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/24 15:34:19 (permalink)
    Dr. Pepper
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Coke, Pepsi, RC or another? 2005/01/24 15:37:06 (permalink)
    I drink ice tea most of the time, but with colas, I prefer Coke. I was one of the people who were upset when new Coke came out and happy when they brought back Coke Classic. I don't like Pepsi at all, it is just too sweet for my tastes and that was what I hated about New Coke.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1