Coke Tastes Different in White Cans?????

Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6474
2011/12/01 19:02:51 (permalink)

Coke Tastes Different in White Cans?????

I had to reread this article

http://finance.yahoo.com/...te-christmas-cans.html

I knew coke drinkers were a strange group but....

COME ON..... Really Coke tastes different in white cans??

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!

I have bought several cases and will save them to list on eBay 

18 Replies Related Threads

sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/01 21:11:03 (permalink)
    Cokes is my choice for colas. but you can't tell me the ink on the outside of the can affects the taste of whats inside.
    its in your mind people!!!!!!
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/01 23:05:12 (permalink)
    Diet coke isn't my first choice and I almost never buy cans, but the last one I had a couple of days ago from a vending machine was silver. How does one confuse silver and white? Hard to imagine when you usually buy them by the box,vending machine, or served one. I'd think a waitstaff would know the difference.

So, if white cans alter the taste, how about clear bottles? This is just as abusrd as customers getting confused with low fat products packaged in containers without the predominance of the color green on the package or a bright patch of red to denote low salt. What's the point of printing nutrition facts if customers nowdays expect container color coding to clue them in if it's low fat, sugar free, or low salt.
    whatnameisnottaken
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/01 23:08:52 (permalink)
    Well, my grandfather drank 2-3 Cokes a day until his death in his mid 80's. He 100% believed that it tasted entirely different (and better) in 10oz bottles than any other way. Who am I to argue? ;)
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 00:32:40 (permalink)
    I can tell you the 24pk white cans do taste different than the 30pk red cans bought about 2 weeks ago...   Don't know why in the same spot in the fridge, it seems the white cans don't get as cold and seem "thicker".   I thought i was just crazy.

As far as bottles/cans, yes they have different carbonation/flavor.   As an employee of mine says in regards to Mt. Dew in a can versus bottle (which he refuses to drink)   "the tin makes it taste better"    (and don't dare try to correct him that the cans have been aluminum for 20 years, lol)
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1565
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 03:56:36 (permalink)
    I don't taste any difference whatsoever, and my guess is that if you served Coke without people seeing the cans they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  As far as being being confused by the cans, it's not so much red vs. white, but dark vs. light.  Additionally, the older diet coke cans were white at one point, and differences in perception can certainly affect taste.
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 433
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 07:07:09 (permalink)
    Goes to show how much of taste is altered by what you see.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1365
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 07:46:11 (permalink)
    DawnT

Diet coke isn't my first choice and I almost never buy cans, but the last one I had a couple of days ago from a vending machine was silver. How does one confuse silver and white? Hard to imagine when you usually buy them by the box,vending machine, or served one. I'd think a waitstaff would know the difference.

So, if white cans alter the taste, how about clear bottles? This is just as abusrd as customers getting confused with low fat products packaged in containers without the predominance of the color green on the package or a bright patch of red to denote low salt. What's the point of printing nutrition facts if customers nowdays expect container color coding to clue them in if it's low fat, sugar free, or low salt.

The white cans are part of an effort by the WWF to "save the polar bears" even though the real data shows that the polar bears aren't endangered.  Coca Cola has bought into this for the purpose of showing they are a "caring company".  It's more about selling Cokes than it is about saving polar bears.
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 07:51:13 (permalink)
    jman
    The white cans are part of an effort by the WWF to "save the polar bears" even though the real data shows that the polar bears aren't endangered.  Coca Cola has bought into this for the purpose of showing they are a "caring company".  It's more about selling Cokes than it is about saving polar bears.

OOps, so I shouldn't be drinking them alongside my polarbear steak for dinner? 
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1070
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 10:15:52 (permalink)
    I am a daily Coca-Cola "Classic" consumer.  I have been drinking out of the white/silver cans (first had them on Delta, but now have them in the big cartons) and I can detect no difference from the product in the red cans.

Unfortunately, many consumers (or naysayers who may not even drink Coke) have decided to turn Coca-Cola's charitable gesture into a political statement with which they disagree.  That's their free speech right, of course, but I personally thought it was both clever (given the Coca-Cola Polar Bears, who have been immensely popular as a marketing tool) and appealing.  I'm sorry Coke is retiring the white cans due to backlash.  But that's just me.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about the difference between the taste of Coke in glass bottles versus plastic bottles versus cans, that's a different matter entirely (and probably not directly relevant to this thread).  I much prefer Coke in glass bottles, especially the ones that used to be 6.5 ounces and are now, I believe, 8 -- even though they are very expensive to buy that way.  The best Coca-Cola I've had lately is from an independent bottler in Winona, MN who offers Coke in RETURNABLE glass bottles.   http://www.glassbottlesoda.org/bottlers/cokewinona.shtml    

Cans are my second choice.  Plastic bottles are a distant third, with the liter or larger plastic bottles being the ones I like least.  I'll only buy them during "Kosher Coke" season, and then only if cans aren't available.  The silliest thing I think Coke came up with was aluminum bottles.  Tried it once, when it was on sale at the student union here. Won't bother with it again -- even if they are still making them, which I'm not sure they are. 

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4233
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 10:57:27 (permalink)
    Of course it "tastes different".

"Taste" is a function of more than just "tastebuds" - smell, appearance, texture, etc. also play a role. 

That is why the French are so particular about "presentation". 

That is also why Coke puts a "tasteless" caramel-color additive to its otherwise clear beverage. 

That is why I get so P.O.'d at Five Guys for wrapping (thereby "smushing it") my burger in foil.

The other day Mrs. Metro brought home a packet of RickBayless/Frontera "Chipotle Garlic" cooking sauce for tacos.  I thanked he for getting it but commented that I would never have putchased it as the dominant color of the packaging was this, a color which I do not associate with "tasty tacos".
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5093
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 11:00:18 (permalink)
    Silliest thing since the ill fated Coke II begat Coke Classic. Glad I don't drink Coke or any soft drinks anymore. Except for an occasional diet root beer or cream soda made with Splenda. Although as a kid, I loved drinking a Coke at a soda fountain in a candy or drug store. I remember A little Coke syrup was poured in a small "Coke" glass that contained small, "clear as glass" chunks of ice and then filled with plain soda. It was sweet, great tasting and refreshing. 5 cents!
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 11:32:03 (permalink)
    jman

Maybe they should assemble a few hundred young people of different nationalities
    on a hilltop in Italy and shoot a commercial from a helicopter lip synching a song about peace, love, harmony, and buying someone a coke and run it ad nauseum throught the Christmas season.

Crazy idea, huh?

People would love it so much they would buy lots more coke and beg for the commercial to be released on a recording and get additional airplay as requested music. It would be about peace and love, not selling more coke.

Right?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5165
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 12:10:13 (permalink)
    rumaki

The best Coca-Cola I've had lately is from an independent bottler in Winona, MN who offers Coke in RETURNABLE glass bottles.   http://www.glassbottlesoda.org/bottlers/cokewinona.shtml    

And the local Winona IGA sells Coke in returnable bottles which can then be taken back to the plant for refill/exchange.  Too bad it's a little far for me...if the Hot Fish Shoppe was still around it might make a road trip worthwhile!

When I was younger I was convinced that the soda in older returnable bottles (identified by superceded logos and/or typefaces) tasted better than the soda in the current bottles.  In fact, I might still believe that...

Brad
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1365
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 13:05:02 (permalink)
    DawnT

jman

Maybe they should assemble a few hundred young people of different nationalities
    on a hilltop in Italy and shoot a commercial from a helicopter lip synching a song about peace, love, harmony, and buying someone a coke and run it ad nauseum throught the Christmas season.

Crazy idea, huh?

People would love it so much they would buy lots more coke and beg for the commercial to be released on a recording and get additional airplay as requested music. It would be about peace and love, not selling more coke.

Right?

SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1027
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 14:22:16 (permalink)
    DawnT

Crazy idea, huh?

Right?

Now I can't get that song out of my head.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10329
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 18:08:45 (permalink)
    Seems like every time Coke gets a new marketing director on board they think they must do something different to the product to earn that new big salary they just gave him/her. When are companies gonna learn---IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!! I worked for Sears back when they got tired of being Sears and wanted to be like JC Penney or Macys. Took over 20 years to recover from that Fiasco and they never regained their market share.

We had a bunch of people here for Thanksgiving so I put both Diet in the silver can and Regular Cokes in the new can in a cooler out on the patio. People were REALLY confused and several people wound up picking up the wrong one from the one they wanted. I ended up pouring out 8-9 cans of partially consumed cans as people discovered they had grabbed the wrong one! 
    My Coke-a-holic wife sees a silver lining in all the confusion! Coke is going back to the traditional red can so all the new cans need to be closed out ASAP since they do have expiration dates on them. Rexam Corp makes the cans. They must have a ton of them in surplus. She's thinking there's gonna be some terrific sales on the new canned stuff pretty soon to liquidate the inventory. She only buys Coke when it's on sale. I envision a garage full of silver cans!" />
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/12/02 18:21:01
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8512
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/02 19:07:25 (permalink)
    According to an article I read, Coke Is closing out the "new" can as fast as they can.
    GotBaddog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Coke Tastes Different in White Cans????? 2011/12/04 19:40:42 (permalink)
    You should try it in blue. Simply amazing.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1