The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Cold Plate Refrigerator advice????????

Vic Cardenas

• Total Posts: 177
Cold Plate Refrigerator advice???????? Mon, 04/16/12 5:25 PM (permalink)
So, I just got my fridge up and running, finally. I dumped about $1800 I parts into the damn thing and paid some refrigeration techs $600 to come out and hook it all up and charge it. I knew it would've been way cheaper just to buy a new true fridge and run a generator all day, but I didn't have the room to cut the fridge out and replace it with an even wider unit. My problem is... the cold plate gets really cold, subfreezing. The bottom of the fridge is always cold enough. Most of the time the middle section is too. I can never get the sandwich top pans, or the top shelf of the fridge, to be cold enough.  Over night I can get it into proper temp and on colder days I can too. The problem is on warm days (and I know it's going to get wayyyy hotter this year) it slowly creeps up to almost 50 degrees in the unit. I'll keep the compressor running constantly to try and pull it down but it can't keep up with mother nature. I shouldn't even have to do this because the point of a cold plate is to plug in over night and keep a steady temp for several hours during the day unplugged.

Now, I've insulated just about all I can without tearing the entire unit out completely. I've sealed it as good as I can. I'm wondering if anybody has any advice on supplementing a cold plate. Maybe with a "Cool Tube" unit? Maybe I just need fans in there? Will fans make a big difference?

mikejames533

• Total Posts: 99
    Re:Cold Plate Refrigerator advice???????? Mon, 04/16/12 6:18 PM (permalink)
    Not for sure if this will help but I know pop machines have a cold plate and they stay plugged in 24/7. It sounds like you are dealing with a sandwich make table?  If so I'll bet it has to stay plugged in all the time.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1949
      Re:Cold Plate Refrigerator advice???????? Mon, 04/16/12 10:50 PM (permalink)
      When I was doing the movie thing in the 90's, all the trucks had cold plate fridges, we had fans installed at the top of the boxes to help circulate the cold air, all the older trucks eventually ended up having the cold plates removed and replaced with mechanical refrigeration.
      There is no good way to regulate a cold plate.

Vic Cardenas

• Total Posts: 177
        Re:Cold Plate Refrigerator advice???????? Mon, 04/16/12 11:21 PM (permalink)
        Thanks guys! Chefbuba: Did you have the same problems as me? It creeping up to 50 during the day and the compressor staying on all day fighting it?

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1949
          Re:Cold Plate Refrigerator advice???????? Tue, 04/17/12 12:34 AM (permalink)
          We did not run the fridges when on generator, the cold plates had several inches of ice on them, partially melt during the day, regenerate overnight when docked at the commissary.
          We just kept all the perishables in the bottom half of the fridges, produce, etc in the top.

Bistro a go-go

• Total Posts: 171
            Re:Cold Plate Refrigerator advice???????? Wed, 05/9/12 12:54 PM (permalink)
            i just took out a 3' deep x 7' wide step in freezer/cooler w/ cold plate because it was not accesable to rear of my truck and really cut into my trucks realestate. i have one more coming out of the 2nd truck and im going to put it on a trailer down the road. i may change out plate system but mine holds temps great. 25 below as freezer and 42 as a cooler. the fans make a difference but i just used it as a cooler for caters.  that was a decision that wasnt easy because onboard step ins were a huge reason i bought the trucks in the first place.

oqanani

• Total Posts: 69
              Re:Cold Plate Refrigerator advice???????? Tue, 09/11/12 11:09 PM (permalink)
              did u ever find a solution to this problem I am planning my refrigeration now and wanted to go cold plate.  I am contacting cold plate manufacturers and am getting different answers from everyone.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com