Cold Stone Creamery

Author
1Cosmo1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2007/04/25 14:01:25 (permalink)

Cold Stone Creamery

I'm can't understand why so many rave about "cold Stone".
I tried it for the first time this weekend. I got plain vanilla first so I could really judge the quality.
It was good, but it sure wasn't great. I guess the big attraction is being able to mix in your own additions.
Oh well, doesn't hold a candle to Graeter's, Aglamisis or UDF.
Someone also mentioned Young's in Springfield, OH. Yep, that's also one of the good one's.
There's also a very good dairy south of Pittsburgh but I can't remember the name.

26 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10474
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 14:22:27 (permalink)
    1Cosmo1-
    I agree with just about everything you wrote. I am not a fan of Cold Stone Creamery, really like Young's Jersey Dairy and absolutely LOVE Graeter's.

As for the dairy south of Pittsburgh, the only one I can think of is Spring House in Eighty-Four, Pa.

http://www.springhousemarket.com/

The only other dairy close to Pittsburgh I know of is Kerber's in Westmoreland County, east of the city.

http://www.kerbers.com/
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 15:02:13 (permalink)
    The king of the smoosh-ins is Herrell's in Northampton, Massachusetts.
    http://herrells.com/design/index.php?lv=6
    ... they pretty much started the genre.

I was astonished to see a Cold Stone open ON THE SAME BLOCK as Herrell's.

Not surprisingly the "Cold Stone" sign is now "For Rent" ... What were they thinking.

Happily no chain, beyond Starbuck's, has ever done well in this town's Main Street.
    apremerson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 15:43:25 (permalink)
    I agree that the novelty of Cold Stone is that you can get stuff mixed into your ice cream. But all the serious ice cream eaters I know think if you need to mix stuff into it, the ice cream itself must be lacking something.

essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 16:27:01 (permalink)
    Greg, I must mention that Steve Herrell first invented the smoosh-in and gained fame with his Steve's franchise, originally started in Boston. After much success, he sold out and moved to Northampton to open Herrell's. It's been many years since I've been, but I always bypassed the smoosh-ins for straight up Chocolate Pudding, Malted Vanilla, or Lemon Custard. The best I've tasted.

stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 16:52:08 (permalink)
    One just opened in our area, haven't been there yet. I hear it's "good, but expensive". We have lots of good local dairies that I'd rather support, but one of these days, I'll give it a try.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 16:53:23 (permalink)
    Viva Northampton!!! Kick those chains out...LOVE IT!
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 18:56:10 (permalink)
    The one in my neighborhood just closed. They blamed it on high rent and low foot traffic. I'd say having to park your car in a public garage didn't help either. As much as i like ice cream i never even entered their bulding. They did pack the place on warm summer nights.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 20:17:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

The one in my neighborhood just closed. They blamed it on high rent and low foot traffic. I'd say having to park your car in a public garage didn't help either. As much as i like ice cream i never even entered their bulding. They did pack the place on warm summer nights.

High rent ... and nobody came into the store!

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 20:20:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Thanks.

Come visit.

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/04/25 20:22:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by essvee

Greg, I must mention that Steve Herrell first invented the smoosh-in and gained fame with his Steve's franchise, originally started in Boston. After much success, he sold out and moved to Northampton to open Herrell's. It's been many years since I've been, but I always bypassed the smoosh-ins for straight up Chocolate Pudding, Malted Vanilla, or Lemon Custard. The best I've tasted.

He is (was?) a pioneer ... I'll take your direction and do some exploring.

Space
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/05/02 00:15:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

The Coldstone a few miles from my place is in a relatively crummy location, but I've never driven by the joint when it wasn't slammed. Their ice cream is just OK, but if I want really good ice cream, I'll drive a few miles up the road to Tyler's Ice Cream......that's on Cortez Road just before you hit Bradenton Beach for those of you near Tampa Bay.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5107
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/05/02 01:01:59 (permalink)
    I'm kinda, a plain vanilla or, pistachio guy with maybe, just hot fudge and whipped cream on my ice cream. I've been to a Cold Stone Creamery and must say, I'm not impressed. Although, I can see the novelty for some folks and kids.
    Especially, kids.
    TwoJays
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/05/02 17:17:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Thanks.

Come visit.

We do, on occasion. Mmmm, I love the Smokey Buffalo Wings at Smokin' Lil's.

http://www.smokinlilsbbq.com/site/index.php?page=menu

JJ
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/05/02 18:01:37 (permalink)
    My son is currently crazy about the comedian John Pinette. He does a routine about people browsing too much in line at a food place, keeping him from getting to the food. He talks about Cold Stone, and how they smoosh lots of stuff into the ice cream, then snarls, "Very browsy!" as if it is an affront.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/05/02 18:59:39 (permalink)
    Count me as another not impressed with Cold Stone.. I love our local brands, especially Fresno State University dairy.. they do some awesome flavors..at much less cost!
    Sera B
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/05/20 16:23:16 (permalink)
    I love cold stone, although I always get a size bigger than I need.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/05/23 18:33:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by essvee

Yes, I remember Steve's: we had some here in NYC a while ago. In fact, I was never impressed with Cold Stone's "novelty" because of Steve's - which I also think was great. I think Steve's invented "cookies'n'creme" since they used to mash Oreo's right into the vanilla on the stone counter.
    Fajuea
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/06/03 17:22:44 (permalink)
    I've been there. They may be good, but their ice cream propotions are too big. You pratically need two or three people to eat all of it.
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/06/03 17:54:25 (permalink)
    Looks like this is becoming a Steve's thread. Unfortunately by the time Steve's made it out of Davis Sq., Somerville, and opened the store in Harvard Square, they were a shadow of their former selves. And when they started selling pints in supermarkets? Fuhgeddaboudit. Steve Herrell was right to bail (though maybe all that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't, who knows).

Makes me so nostalgic, though... I was a grade-schooler living in Cambridge when Steve's was at its prime. I think a cone was 35 cents - the price of ice cream (and maybe candy bars) was always my primary economic indicator. Lines out the door even in winter. They had this great hot fudge that got all chewy on the cold ice cream. Sigh.

It occurs to me that, like pizza and deli, ice cream is one of those things that just doesn't translate to this part of the world.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1076
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/06/19 10:15:31 (permalink)
    There is a Cold Stone Creamery across from the Live Oak Cinema in Live Oak I'll have to try sometime.
    Is it real expensive? Had a Duh!Homer moment at Basken Robbins in the Olympia Forum.I got a waffle cone with 2 scoops of ice cream and it was $4.00.Would have been cheaper to get a two scoop sundae.Oh yeah,I'm off from my part time job at TJMAXX Wendsday,so I can get one of their sundae specials that day.
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/06/19 10:24:31 (permalink)
    I don't enjoy Cold Stone that much. The few ice cream flavors I have tried are ok, but I don't want that much extra stuff in my ice cream, so the concept of a lot of add-ins is wasted on me. In their ads some of their cakes look good, but I have never tried them.

I lived in Dallas for a couple of years in the early 90's and they had a similar chain of stores called Marble Slab. Don't know if they are still in operation.
    UrbanSpaceman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/06/19 12:40:43 (permalink)
    This brings up a small annoyance of mine: can anyone tell me any real difference(s) between Cold Stone and Marble Slab Creamery? As far as I can tell, both have the same concepts and tastes - not to mention they're both too expensive for what they are, in my honest opinion. And both of them are in my neighborhood, walking distance from each other! Sorry if any of that has been brought up in any previous postings/threads.

For my money, give me Graeter's, Gifford's, Jeni's (another Ohio ice creamery), or Ben & Jerry's any day. (Yes, I admit to still liking Ben & Jerry's even though they're a chain. Good is good.)
    chickenwingking
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/08/18 10:52:51 (permalink)
    I've been to Cold Stone twice, I'd say it is good but fairly overpriced. The ones I frequented were both in high rent retail areas.
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/08/20 18:41:34 (permalink)
    I'd rather mix my own at home. Just another franchise that will suck a lot of money in before the chain collapses into bankruptcy like we've seen so many times before.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2007/08/27 12:32:49 (permalink)
    Too expensive, but I acually do like chunky icecream. I thought CS would be great. They mashed the toppings I chose into sawdust with a smile. I'll stick to my own home.
    Bearadise
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Cold Stone Creamery 2010/06/14 18:40:27 (permalink)
    stanpnepa

Stanpnepa,

It's not so much that they were "kicked out" and unlike some other places, we didn't pass a law to keep "undesirable" businesses out. We believe in free expression, free will and free enterprise, we express our support (or lack of) with our feet, and our wallets.

Rich

Who lives in HAMP, not NOHO!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1