Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
LauraB706
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/04/08 03:15:42 (permalink)

Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product

Pros
Feel like a kid in a candy store. Fun toppings & combo ideas.

Cons
Artificially tasting "ice cream", strange GUMMY texture. Overpriced for what you get.

The Bottom Line
Don't bother. Poor quality ingredients.

Great concept.
Bad delivery of the end product.

When I walked into the store, I "thought" I came across a real gem. Approx 15 choices of ice cream, almost every topping/garnish imaginable. Creative combinations. Hand-mixed as you watch.

The first clue this wasn't all it was cracked up to be is when they gave me a taste of their base 'ice cream'. Odd gummy texture, didn't have the mouth feel of real ice cream, with strange artificially butter flavoring. (Was this their way of disguising there was very little REAL butterfat/cream in their product?) I quickly tried to dismiss this, since I REALLY wanted to treat myself. But alas, if you start with an inferior base product, and add artificially tasting chocolate chips and cheap caramel sauce and cookie dough, you going to get a mish-mash of inferior flavors and an unsatisfying dessert. Their concept of "trying" to doctor it up with all the garnishes, just failed.

I'd put this in the same catagory with the Cheese Cake Factory and the Olive Garden. They try to win you over with all the decadent choices, but use inferior ingredients. End result =GIGO (Garbage in, Garbage Out).

Very disappointing. I do not recommend this to anyone with above average tastebuds.

Recommended
No

30 Replies Related Threads

jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/08 04:03:38 (permalink)
    One opened down the street here, a block from a 30 y/o Baskin Robbins. Guess who won?
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/08 13:42:01 (permalink)
    I agree, we've gone to 2-3 in our area and the impressions are the same as above. I prefer the roadfood-type ice cream stands. If none are nearby then Baskin-Robbins or Kilwin's are acceptable stand-bys.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/08 13:48:18 (permalink)
    Marble Slab is the same concept, with great ice cream. Their sweet cream tastes just like whipped cream.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/09 00:38:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LauraB706

Pros
    Feel like a kid in a candy store. Fun toppings & combo ideas.

Cons
    Artificially tasting "ice cream", strange GUMMY texture. Overpriced for what you get.

The Bottom Line
    Don't bother. Poor quality ingredients.

Great concept.
    Bad delivery of the end product.

When I walked into the store, I "thought" I came across a real gem. Approx 15 choices of ice cream, almost every topping/garnish imaginable. Creative combinations. Hand-mixed as you watch.

The first clue this wasn't all it was cracked up to be is when they gave me a taste of their base 'ice cream'. Odd gummy texture, didn't have the mouth feel of real ice cream, with strange artificially butter flavoring. (Was this their way of disguising there was very little REAL butterfat/cream in their product?) I quickly tried to dismiss this, since I REALLY wanted to treat myself. But alas, if you start with an inferior base product, and add artificially tasting chocolate chips and cheap caramel sauce and cookie dough, you going to get a mish-mash of inferior flavors and an unsatisfying dessert. Their concept of "trying" to doctor it up with all the garnishes, just failed.

I'd put this in the same catagory with the Cheese Cake Factory and the Olive Garden. They try to win you over with all the decadent choices, but use inferior ingredients. End result =GIGO (Garbage in, Garbage Out).

Very disappointing. I do not recommend this to anyone with above average tastebuds.

Recommended
    No

Laura:

Your are a 100% correct, in fact, I had the same impression, you did, when I walked into the store. I thought I died and gone to heaven! Until I tasted the ice cream, boy, was I suprised! What a let down!

Also I have to agree that it is very overpriced and Baskin Robbins is much better, unfortunately, most BR in the area has close. Of Course we still have Ritter's Custard and it is better than Coldstone, Baskin Robbins and Culvers, all combine together!

garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/09 10:01:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

It is a hot franchise right now. There always seems to be a new hot franchise being sold to eager early retirees who have some equity to invest. If you are a "bought out" vp who is not ready to retire, I suggest that you talk to somebody who bought a Kincade gallery in the 90s or a KK just a few years ago, before you invest in any franchise. Look at same store sales for stores open for over a year. My local Coldstone franchisee is a friend of a friend, and he is said to be doing very, very well about 2 months after opening. He has not even enjoyed his first summer yet. If he is still happy a year or two from now, he made a good investment. I like my local CS, but I like Ronnies in Auburn Mass. better, and Ronnies is 1/2 the money.

I guess, my problem is, I like plain GOOD ice cream, I never met a flavor I didn't eat!

Coldstone is more compicated than the ice cream, with Coldstone You gotta love the whole concept of what, they are and what they sell.

Give me a premium Butter pecn on a waffle cone and I ill think I ied and gone to Heaven
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8079
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/17 19:10:19 (permalink)
    There is a Coldstone almost directly across the street from my shop.

The Baskin and Robbins is down the street.

I only go to Coldstone when I don't want to get into the car.

Blah tasting ice cream to say the least.

So, how do we get Baskin and Robbins to bring back Espresso Coffee?

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/29 03:32:51 (permalink)
    The first time I went to Coldstone Creamery I id n ot know it was a chain. The toppings were okay but the ice cream was not very good. The Ben and Jerry's chain store is nearby and I liked it better.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/29 09:28:20 (permalink)
    In Northampton, Massachusetts, a Cold Stone opened on the very same block as Herrell's -- a store run by the guy who just about invented the smoosh-in concept.

http://www.herrells.com/design/?int=1

I can't imagine anyone not strolling the extra few hundred feet to go to the original Herrell's -- which is really good to this day. I can't speak for the franchised Herrel's locations about which I've heard reports of inconsistancies.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/29 09:48:45 (permalink)
    A couple of months ago, Consumer Reports magazine panned Cold Stone Creamery, saying almost exactly the same things that were said in this thread. They declared it to be of mediocre quality and not a very good value, in terms of the quality that is offered for the price that is charged.

I think that the people in this forum are quite perceptive, and if everyone "votes with their feet", then perhaps the quality will improve.
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/29 10:05:48 (permalink)
    A location opened here locally about two weeks ago. I went Tuesday night for the first time. It was OK, but I think once the newness and excitement of it wears off, people will realize that it is overpriced. Our last local ice cream shop just closed. Now we've got DQ and Coldstone. Sad indeed.

Cindy
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/29 10:44:28 (permalink)
    We have both Cold Stone and Marble Slab here in Melbourne now. I was out with a group of folks who insisted that we go to Marble Slab the other night. I know the place is new (not first day new, but new enough), but what I discovered is what is wrong with a lot of chain places. I guess with a new place, every employee is new and untrained, but it was particularly evident here. I ordered a vanilla oreo shake and the young man behind the counter looked absolutely dumbfounded. He had to consult the manual to find out how this was done. Apparently, neither he nor any of the other teenagers entrusted to run this place were knowledgeable enough to operate the blender, pour in the pre-measured amount of vanilla ice cream (which did have a bit of an industrial taste to it) and add the requisite amount of oreo cookies and some milk. Could be too much to ask, I suppose.

Give me the old fashioned Del's Freeze out on US 1 any day.

Oh...and there is a place that I discovered in Austin, TX that does the same concept but much better -- I think their name is Amy's -- but I am not sure!

Steve
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/29 10:52:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

We have both Cold Stone and Marble Slab here in Melbourne now. I was out with a group of folks who insisted that we go to Marble Slab the other night. I know the place is new (not first day new, but new enough), but what I discovered is what is wrong with a lot of chain places. I guess with a new place, every employee is new and untrained, but it was particularly evident here. I ordered a vanilla oreo shake and the young man behind the counter looked absolutely dumbfounded. He had to consult the manual to find out how this was done. Apparently, neither he nor any of the other teenagers entrusted to run this place were knowledgeable enough to operate the blender, pour in the pre-measured amount of vanilla ice cream (which did have a bit of an industrial taste to it) and add the requisite amount of oreo cookies and some milk. Could be too much to ask, I suppose.

Give me the old fashioned Del's Freeze out on US 1 any day.

Oh...and there is a place that I discovered in Austin, TX that does the same concept but much better -- I think their name is Amy's -- but I am not sure!

Steve

Yep, alot of food chains forget that this is their teenage employee FIRST job!

Some chains bring in vetran employees and managers for the first couple of months of being open, so that they always have experience people working when they are open.

The only time I ever been to Cold Stone, that Store was abut 6 months old, I noticed that almost all employees were going to the same 2 people and asking them how to do things!
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/04/29 11:57:41 (permalink)
    Cold Stone opened in Highland Park, IL, last summer. We went one time and have nothing good to say about it. The ice cream has a glue-ish texture. I am not impressed in mixing in a bunch of toppings. The smallest portion is enough to feed a family of four.

Now we have Cold Stone, Ben & Jerry's, Dairy Queen, a local frozen yogurt shop, and Baskin-Robbin within a 2 block radius.

Or should I say had. BR just closed their doors after at 30+ years in the same location. Very sad.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/05/26 09:39:49 (permalink)
    Ours is doing well, and it is just starting it's first summer season. I didn't think that our locals would be willing to pay that kind of $$$ for ice cream, but they are. They have done it without coupons or ads. They do have a great location in a new shopping center. Interesting. Unlike the experience (above) of tsores, I find the portions to be small and expensive, but of very high quality. Maybe different locations don't "follow the book". IMO if you buy a franchise, you should follow the formula, or just do it on your own and save the franchise fee.
    jevmass
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/05/26 10:00:29 (permalink)
    All I have eaten is their sweet cream flavor and I thought it was excellent. A bit pricey, though, to say the least. I also emailed the Stern's and told them to try it out.

The best ice cream in our area is Kimball Farm:

http://www.kimballfarm.com
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/05/26 10:20:14 (permalink)
    Dittos to most of the posters here. Mediocre, overpriced. They "mix in" all of that garbage to hide the fact that the ice cream itself is of questionable quality and taste. Agree also about the texture - gummy is the word most often heard.
    And, despite that, the two Coldstone's here in Levittown and Massapequa always have lines out to the door. There really is a market for poor products with good promotion. Sad.
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/05/26 10:41:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe
    ...Apparently, neither he nor any of the other teenagers entrusted to run this place were knowledgeable enough to operate the blender, pour in the pre-measured amount of vanilla ice cream (which did have a bit of an industrial taste to it) and add the requisite amount of oreo cookies and some milk. Could be too much to ask, I suppose.

The truly frightening part about Cold Stone is that these teenagers are entrusted to make the Ice Cream! How in the world can you have any kind of quality control? When I tried Cold Stone I had them mix macadamia nuts into banana ice cream, and the nuts were the only thing I could taste.

And, by the way, these days I avoid the good ol' stand by Baskin Robbins. A few years ago the corporation decided to stop manufacturing their own Ice Cream. The "suits" figured that most folks couldn't tell the difference in quality ice cream, and wouldn't recognize things like butterfat content and "mouth-feel".
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/06/08 12:11:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

A couple of months ago, Consumer Reports magazine panned Cold Stone Creamery, saying almost exactly the same things that were said in this thread. They declared it to be of mediocre quality and not a very good value, in terms of the quality that is offered for the price that is charged.

I think that the people in this forum are quite perceptive, and if everyone "votes with their feet", then perhaps the quality will improve.

Good to hear. I tried ColdStone recently and found it overpriced and fake tasting. Too bad Baskin Robbins has become so hard to find. The BR in my town closed last year, but guess what - ColdStone Creamery opened nearby. Guess I'll have to find another BR somewhere else, because there's no way I'm going back to ColdStone.
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/06/08 13:11:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

A couple of months ago, Consumer Reports magazine panned Cold Stone Creamery, saying almost exactly the same things that were said in this thread.

I think that's the article posted on the wall of Mack's in Millburn, NJ. They put it there in response to the Cold Stone that's coming in about a block north. I think that Mack's is a bit overpriced but it's darned good ice cream, as opposed to Cold Stone which is *way* overpriced for mediocre ice cream. I hope the new arrival doesn't hurt Mack's.

-Hugh
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/06/08 14:06:38 (permalink)

I would have said we don't have these in Boston yet, but I just checked and there are several now open and a few more on the way. As an original (early '70's) denizen of Steve's Ice Cream in Davis Sq. Somerville, and based on what I'm hearing here, I'll probably avoid this place. I don't know that Steve (Herrell) invented this style of ice cream, but their ice cream has always been really good and not that expensive for what it is. The only problem with Steve's was there was only one of them at first and it was always really crowded.

db
    BernieG
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/06/08 14:43:12 (permalink)
    I would agree. They just opened one up in Wilton CT. Overpriced and of average quality. Plenty of other (better) options in the area.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/06/27 09:15:45 (permalink)
    Our local store was very busy Saturday. The owner was on site, but in the background. He has done an outstanding job in the training of the dozen or so teenagers who were working there. The line was long but moved fast. It IS expensive, but I would give it an A plus. I know that some of you don't want to hear that but that is what I saw, at least at this store. It looks to me like Cold Stone HQ has to get the poor stores up to snuff, or the good stores will pay the price.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1098
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/06/27 10:46:41 (permalink)
    I agree with everyone who rated Coldstone as being very medicore. We had an ice cream cake from there last weekend for Father's day and it was almost tasteless. The only thing you could taste were the big chunks of Snickers on top of the cake. I think we paid like $30 for it and most of it was thrown away.
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2005/06/27 14:23:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LauraB706

I'd put this in the same catagory with the Cheese Cake Factory... They try to win you over with all the decadent choices, but use inferior ingredients. End result =GIGO (Garbage in, Garbage Out)

When I travel to Phoenix to visit my elderly mother, she always wants to go to the Cheese Cake Factory. I've found it quite good and I enjoy taking her there.

I live in an area noted for its many fine restaurants and if we had a Cheese Cake Factory it would certainly be rated very high in this area. Hardly GIGO.

Dino
    cougartonyusa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2006/06/24 21:54:19 (permalink)
    Coldstone just annoys me. The ice cream is gummy. Marble Slab coconut ice cream tastes rich and natural, the Cold Stone coconut reeks of coconut syrup. Calorie count for a large serving at Cold Stone is almost 1000. That alone is discouraging. Eight ounces of Marble Slab is about 650-700. The inside of Cold Stone looks more like a funeral palor than an ice cream shop. I don't want gimmacks. Just give me good ice cream.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2006/06/25 07:54:02 (permalink)
    There's three CCs in my area--I went to one last fall when I was sick and just wanted ice cream. I wanted peach but it was this disgusting bright fluorescent orange, so I went for cake batter. It wasn't bad ... but it wasn't great, and I haven't been back since.
    ertyu
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2006/06/30 00:49:17 (permalink)
    i actually liked the coldstone ice cream I had that opened up just a couple blocks away from home but the ice cream was very overpriced and I will probably never go there again unless I get some coupon or other deal where they reduce the price of their ice cream substantially

i wonder how they just popped out of nowhere all of a sudden while baskin robbins goes bye bye
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2440
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2006/07/01 03:33:30 (permalink)
    Why am I not surprised by this thread? I walk by a Coldstone every day to and from work in Manhattan and tried it once. First: its the heaviest ice cream I've ever tasted. Too thick and the flavors were boring. Second: expensive. Third: they had a recall a while back on the cake batter flavor due to a salmonella scare. Check out the link: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/108/108792.htm. Just paste in your browser. Fourth: they don't "hire" "employees", they "audition" "actors". The day I went in (mind you this store is tiny), the staff was singing the Cold Stone theme song to the beat of Michael Jackson's "Beat It" and various other pop songs. It was like being stuck on the "It's a Small World Ride" in Disneyworld. No ice cream is worth that.
    NeilS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Cold Stone- VERY disappointing product 2006/07/02 22:18:37 (permalink)
    I have never EVER thrown away ice cream, except for the first (and last) time I went into a Coldstone. I ordered a small size to try it out and it just didn't taste good at all. I threw it in the garbage after it was half gone. Can you imagine tossing out any Baskin or Carvel? Never again.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1