Cold Weather Vending

Author
Southernsmoke
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
2011/09/18 09:42:17 (permalink)

Cold Weather Vending

Well it's starting to cool down here now. Wondering what type of lp heater  would be good to use to extend the season into the winter? I vend from a 7 x 16 ft trailer approx 700 sq ft.
post edited by Southernsmoke - 2011/09/18 12:05:47

20 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1980
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 11:38:34 (permalink)
    Don't understand the question......
    7x16= 112
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 11:38:46 (permalink)
    What is your question? If your asking about how to heat your trailer buy one of these. I use two and run them 24 hours a day and they do a good job.

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/09/18 12:00:43
    Southernsmoke
    Hamburger
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 12:09:08 (permalink)
    Sorry guys I left out the word heater..

Dr. I have been eyeng those  
     do you use the canisters or connect to larger bottle??
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 12:18:43 (permalink)
    We use a small Mr Buddy Heater. Similar to the one pictured but smaller (the size we have is no longer made by the company). We run it off the 20# BBQ tank that is mounted on the front of our little cart. It heats a 6X5 uninsulated cart. David's only complaint is that his feet stay cold, so we may mount it closed to the floor this winter. Last winter,it was about 36" from the floor and the wind blowing thru the order window kept blowing it out.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 12:37:39 (permalink)
    Southernsmoke

Dr. I have been eyeng those  do you use the canisters or connect to larger bottle??

I use a 30 lb tank. The Mr Heater has a built in switched fan that runs on batteries. But it burns up a set of batteries in no time so go to radio shack and get a power source cut the plug off the end and wire it direct to your heater, then just plug it in and your fan will run all the time, unless you turn off the switch. Two of these use  a 30 lb propane tank in about a week in really cold weather and Lorna is right they won't keep your floor warm. But sit them on the floor and use the fan and you'll keep plenty warm in the worst weather. If you don't have to move your trailer all the time a trailer skirt will help because it's the wind blowing under the trailer that keeps the metal floor very cold. In really cold weather if we spill water on the floor it'll freeze in a heart beat. LOL  Keep your windows and door closed and don't use the exhaust fan any more than you have to and your good to go.
    Southernsmoke
    Hamburger
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 13:36:27 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Southernsmoke

Dr. I have been eyeng those  do you use the canisters or connect to larger bottle??

I use a 30 lb tank. The Mr Heater has a built in switched fan that runs on batteries. But it burns up a set of batteries in no time so go to radio shack and get a power source cut the plug off the end and wire it direct to your heater, then just plug it in and your fan will run all the time, unless you turn off the switch. Two of these use  a 30 lb propane tank in about a week in really cold weather and Lorna is right they won't keep your floor warm. But sit them on the floor and use the fan and you'll keep plenty warm in the worst weather. If you don't have to move your trailer all the time a trailer skirt will help because it's the wind blowing under the trailer that keeps the metal floor very cold. In really cold weather if we spill water on the floor it'll freeze in a heart beat. LOL  Keep your windows and door closed and don't use the exhaust fan any more than you have to and your good to go.

Thanks...never thought about the dang exhaust fan, that will suck the heat out pretty quick..

Southernsmoke
    Hamburger
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 13:37:18 (permalink)
    lornaschinske

We use a small Mr Buddy Heater. Similar to the one pictured but smaller (the size we have is no longer made by the company). We run it off the 20# BBQ tank that is mounted on the front of our little cart. It heats a 6X5 uninsulated cart. David's only complaint is that his feet stay cold, so we may mount it closed to the floor this winter. Last winter,it was about 36" from the floor and the wind blowing thru the order window kept blowing it out.

thanks

Barry Digman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 18:06:30 (permalink)
    Our trailer has an exterior mounted instant water heater. I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep that system warm enough 24/7 to avoid freezing. I think a heat lamp will handle the interior fresh water, grey water, and plumbing.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 19:15:24 (permalink)
    In NM you may get away with that. LOL

In the last 5 years I have replaced 2 instant hot water heaters because they froze up when I ran out of propane to heat the trailer in the middle of the night. And I'd be the 1st to admit I knew I was low on LP just didn't want to stand in the 12 degree weather to wait for the guy to fill them, thinking I'll wait until tomorrow when it's 34 degrees. Bad idea.
    lornaschinske
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 19:42:11 (permalink)
    Barry Digman

Our trailer has an exterior mounted instant water heater. I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep that system warm enough 24/7 to avoid freezing. I think a heat lamp will handle the interior fresh water, grey water, and plumbing.

Build a "box" out of rigid insulation sheathing (the pink or blue stuff). It needs to be big enough that it will fit over all of the heater and the connections that are exposed and allow you to place a 60 watt incandescent light bulb in the bottom of the box. Screw a couple of eye hooks into the siding of the trailer.  Place the box cover over the heater with the electric light inside. Use bungie cords to hold the box tight against the wall of the trailer. Remove the box when underway OR Use a wood cover over the insulation and secure it a bit better to hold up to traveling down the road. Remove when you are operating the heater.

We use a 60 watt incandescent bulb to keep our water thawed. The area under the sinks is lined with Reflectix  and we have a sheet of the stuff that we prop up against the open are to hold the heat in with. Our tankless water heater is inside our cart and we will have it vented outside. Too many mods to do this weekend. Installed the 12vDC hood vent this weekend.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/09/18 19:45:14
    Barry Digman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 20:11:13 (permalink)
    Actually my part of NM is not that much warmer than Springfield. Average monthly lows for Farmington and Springfield respectively according to weather.com are:

Nov - 27, 34
    Dec - 19, 23
    Jan - 18, 17
    Feb - 23, 22
    Mar -28, 32

Were the heaters inside the trailer? Mine is outside which makes it even more problematic. Even during operating hours there's the risk of frozen lines.

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/18 21:03:26 (permalink)
    Barry Digman

Actually my part of NM is not that much warmer than Springfield. Average monthly lows for Farmington and Springfield respectively according to weather.com are:

Nov - 27, 34
    Dec - 19, 23
    Jan - 18, 17
    Feb - 23, 22
    Mar -28, 32

Were the heaters inside the trailer? Mine is outside which makes it even more problematic. Even during operating hours there's the risk of frozen lines.

Wow didn't expect that they would be that close.

And first  those are I assume average temperatures and they as average will have lower lows and higher highs. And the other thing you have to keep in mind is the wind blowing on anything metal will add to the damage the cold will do and  dramatically effect the transfer of the cold, from one metal part to another. I have had stainless steel water lines freeze because they were attached to a metal wall that was on the wind side of the trailer, while those SS lines on the adjacent wall didn't freeze.

I know this at first doesn't make sense but hot water will freeze faster than cold water it's called the Mpemba effect. And sorry for the long answer, my heaters are inside the trailer.

Oh and watch your drain lines on your waste water tank, they will freeze in a heartbeat also. One thing I know for sure is plumbers bills go up as the temperature goes down. And I don't blame them. LOL So get your rig buttoned up and ready before the first cold front moves through.

Good luck
    Jack
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/09/18 21:09:37
    Barry Digman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/19 00:57:15 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

It's the elevation that has such an impact. We're sitting at 5,300 feet above sea level.
    Barry Digman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/19 01:38:20 (permalink)
    lornaschinskeBuild a "box" out of rigid insulation sheathing (the pink or blue stuff). It needs to be big enough that it will fit over all of the heater and the connections that are exposed and allow you to place a 60 watt incandescent light bulb in the bottom of the box.

I like the idea of the box. I was thinking of an insulated hinged cover or box with some sort of heating element in it. It could stay on all the time and just be opened up when operating. You can see the heater here with the propane line attached. I'll have to have a stainless cover fabricated to match the trailer.

lornaschinske
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/19 16:05:29 (permalink)
    Looks like our Eccotemp L5.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/19 17:03:38 (permalink)
    Barry Digman

I like the idea of the box. I was thinking of an insulated hinged cover or box with some sort of heating element in it. It could stay on all the time and just be opened up when operating. You can see the heater here with the propane line attached. I'll have to have a stainless cover fabricated to match the trailer.

nice looking rig, when you get your cover done post another picture.
    Barry Digman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/19 20:09:32 (permalink)
    lornaschinske

Looks like our Eccotemp L5.

Good eye! That's exactly what it is.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/19 21:29:24 (permalink)
    Barry Digman

Dr of BBQ

It's the elevation that has such an impact. We're sitting at 5,300 feet above sea level.

LOL - my son's math homework tonight was to work out temp differences using LAT and Elevation changes.  NM and IL were two of the questions.

lornaschinske
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/20 00:00:06 (permalink)
    Barry Digman

Dr of BBQ

In Socorro, we are only 4680Ft above sea level so we have slightly warmer daytime temps than Farmington. Roswell is 3670 ft so it's even warmer but still freezing temps during the winter nights. And of course we have the everlasting wind to deal with.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Cold Weather Vending 2011/09/20 00:31:26 (permalink)
    CajunKing LOL - my son's math homework tonight was to work out temp differences using LAT and Elevation changes.  NM and IL were two of the questions.

That's funny so we were a homework assignment? LMAO
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1