The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Cold pop in a glass bottle

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 61
Author Message
fcbaldwin

  • Total Posts: 388
  • Joined: 3/8/2004
  • Location: Powhatan, VA
RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 10:38 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by fcbaldwin

[quotePerzackly...

So, it was not a case of short straw, but long bottle.


Well, er, yes,... I mean no,....I mean your straw wouldn't have sunk outta sight in one of those little Coke bottles, right?
 
#31
    Michael Hoffman

    • Total Posts: 17801
    • Joined: 7/1/2000
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 11:40 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

    [quoteWell, er, yes,... I mean no,....I mean your straw wouldn't have sunk outta sight in one of those little Coke bottles, right? [/size=2]

    Right. Maybe
     
    #32
      tiki

      • Total Posts: 4135
      • Joined: 7/7/2003
      • Location: Rentiesville, OK
      RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 11:51 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

      Just before the screw-top came into the market, The ultimate "Pop-Top" bottle was the main seller...the 16 0z (returnable) tall ones. All the major brands used them. I loved the feel and the way it held in the cold ! I think Bubble-Up was the first brand to use them, but in the early 80's they were everywhere. Then came the short-fat 16 oz screwtops and now the 20oz plastic screwtop. The taste of the product is completely different that what we used to get in Glass. Thank Heaven the Beer-Folks seem to be avoiding the Plastic containers.


      All the Big boys of Beer already market in plastic bottles---they use them in stadium venue cincerts all the time and i beleive at a few sports events--parks also will allow them but not glass.
       
      #33
        chicagostyledog

        • Total Posts: 3217
        • Joined: 9/10/2003
        • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
        RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 2:03 PM (permalink)
        Kayo chocolate drink in the glass bottle was my favorite.
         
        #34
          Lone Star

          • Total Posts: 1730
          • Joined: 5/22/2003
          • Location: Houston, TX
          RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 2:21 PM (permalink)
          A few months ago I went to the Farmer's Market on Airline. It was hot and terribly humid and we were just about to fall out by the time we got to the register. Over to the side at the little concession stand, I saw a lady take a big drink out of a big (not the little one - the big ones you used to get in the machines) Coke. It looked so good, I just had to have one despite the fact that I only drink Diet Coke.

          She pulled the bottle out of a bin of crushed ice, popped it open and I tell you, that was the best drink I have ever had! I sometimes think about going over there just for a coke!
           
          #35
            emsmom

            • Total Posts: 955
            • Joined: 3/23/2004
            • Location: Gastonia, NC
            RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 2:22 PM (permalink)
            This is a little off the subject, but I remember when we used to have milk delivered to our house. My Mom would order us special treats of chocolate milk in the bottles. All that sealed the bottle was a little cardboard cap. Oh, the taste of the cold milk out of a glass bottle was hard to beat
            quote:
            Originally posted by chicagostyledog

            Kayo chocolate drink in the glass bottle was my favorite.
             
            #36
              CheeseWit

              • Total Posts: 1393
              • Joined: 4/10/2003
              • Location: West Chester, PA
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 2:29 PM (permalink)
              Just a reminder that much of the discussion here has already been covered (or should be posted to)in the Regional Soda (or Pop) thread.
               
              #37
                Rusty246

                • Total Posts: 2413
                • Joined: 7/15/2003
                • Location: Newberry, FL
                RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 3:23 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by tiki

                quote:
                Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

                Just before the screw-top came into the market, The ultimate "Pop-Top" bottle was the main seller...the 16 0z (returnable) tall ones. All the major brands used them. I loved the feel and the way it held in the cold ! I think Bubble-Up was the first brand to use them, but in the early 80's they were everywhere. Then came the short-fat 16 oz screwtops and now the 20oz plastic screwtop. The taste of the product is completely different that what we used to get in Glass. Thank Heaven the Beer-Folks seem to be avoiding the Plastic containers.


                All the Big boys of Beer already market in plastic bottles---they use them in stadium venue cincerts all the time and i beleive at a few sports events--parks also will allow them but not glass.

                Add Miller Lite. Some of the Nascar tracks are beginning to allow only plastic or cans. I think that it's a great idea for events but I would not bring them into my home..ever.
                 
                #38
                  CarolinaBill

                  • Total Posts: 207
                  • Joined: 10/18/2004
                  • Location: Columbia, SC
                  RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 3:32 PM (permalink)
                  If you ever find yourself in East Tennessee, try a little local beverage that I believe comes ONLY in bottles. It is called Dr. Enuf - and it is PERFECT morning soda! Basically tastes like a cleaner Sprite or 7-Up as they use only cane sugar, not corn syrup. Bonus is a healthy kick of caffeine (they do offer decaffeinated variety, I believe) and a large dose of several vitamins. Have not found it yet outside Eastern Tennessee or extreme Southwestern Virginia.
                   
                  #39
                    Rusty246

                    • Total Posts: 2413
                    • Joined: 7/15/2003
                    • Location: Newberry, FL
                    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 3:42 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Saint Matt

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by corabeth

                    I know I am showing my age, but I would love to have a cold Nehi orange in a glass bottle. I loved the coolers that would be filled with ice. You would dig down to the bottom of the cooler to get the coldest bottle. The best time to have one was when you were traveling on vacation in the summer time. Of course, I am talking about the days before air conditioning in cars. I grew up in West Virginia & all of our traveling was to the south & it would get really HOT!! We would stop for gas & get a cold pop. We never has pop at home(too expensive), so this was a real treat. A Neih orange was my favorite.



                    You can order Orange Nehi in a bottle from Galcos Soda Pop Stop:

                    http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/flavors/browse.cfm?link=33&s=15


                    I loved the strawberry and peach Nehi as well. At these prices you may want to hide in your room when you drink it. I could NEVER allow my kid's to know it's in the house. Maybe I'll buy a few of the Mountain Dew for them as gifts they will freak out. "A GLASS BOTTLE?!?!?"
                     
                    #40
                      tsores

                      • Total Posts: 653
                      • Joined: 8/27/2001
                      • Location: Evanston, IL
                      RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 4:03 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                      You know what I used to hate about soda in glass bottles? I used to hate it when using a straw and after the first sip the straw would always sink into the bottle.


                      The opposite used to happen to me. I used to order 7Up in a bottle as a kid at the local drugstore soda fountain. Carbonation bubbles would form on the 2 paper straws and lift it out of the bottle. This used to annoy the poop out of me.
                       
                      #41
                        Pogo

                        • Total Posts: 269
                        • Joined: 8/14/2004
                        • Location: East Podunk, GA
                        RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 4:40 PM (permalink)
                        emsmom, when I was a teenager I worked at the local IGA as a bag boy. We had a map back in the produce room next to the Coke Machine, it had a pin stuck in the map at Harriman and then there was a thread tied to the pin. Everyone layed their dollar on the table, purchased a 61/2oz Coke and looked at the bottom to see where the bottle originated. If there was any disagreement in whose was farthest away you just took the thread and measured. We called the game "Far Away". BTW, I once drew a bottle from Hilo, Hawaii LOL.

                        I too, remember the drink coolers with the ice water circulating in them. Also, they made a cooler that the drinks hung from their cap. You put your money in and then pulled the pop bottle around till it went through a little gate. Some interprising teenagers were known to take a straw and a bottle opener with them and get "free drinks".

                        Do y'all remember paper straws? They floated in your pop bottle.
                         
                        #42
                          Michael Hoffman

                          • Total Posts: 17801
                          • Joined: 7/1/2000
                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                          RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 4:48 PM (permalink)
                          When I was in the Air Force we'd always do the farthest-away thing with the Coke bottles. The guy whose bottle came from the closest bottler had to buy all the Cokes. I'd forgotten all abouot that.
                           
                          #43
                            Hiram Callahan

                            • Total Posts: 116
                            • Joined: 8/16/2000
                            • Location: New York, NY
                            RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 7:54 PM (permalink)
                            I know it's a little nutty, but I keep a glass Coke bottle in the freezer and when I splurge and have a real Coke, I pour it in there first. The first bit in freezes and the whole is cold and tastes wonderful.
                             
                            #44
                              michaelgemmell

                              • Total Posts: 673
                              • Joined: 3/17/2004
                              • Location: San Francisco, CA
                              RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 01/10/05 7:59 PM (permalink)
                              Enginecapt, I hadn't thought about licking the insides of the bottlecaps for over 40 years, but I, too, now remember the taste of the cork!

                              More important that the straws were paper was the paper wrapper. My dad sold appliances at Sears and had Wednesday as his day off. Every Wednesday he'd pick us up after school (no crummy school bus that day) and take us to Leighton's Sundries in Galesburg IL, where they had a real soda fountain. Dad then taught us how to prepare the paper cover for shooting at the soda jerk by blowing into the straw. The "Soda jerk" was actually Mrs. Leighton, who announced, "Joe Gemmell, you could have avoided teaching your sons how to do that!" She wasn't upset, not really. A few years after that the domestic manufacturers put tiny holes in the covers so it wouldn't work. In recent years, however, I have noticed that someone forgot the holes, and you can once again blow the covers off. Tear off one end of the cover, then bunch the cover away from the open end, then aim and BLOW!

                              Thanks for reminding me so completely today what it was like growing up in the 1960s!
                               
                              #45
                                shanklemsw

                                • Total Posts: 169
                                • Joined: 5/10/2004
                                • Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
                                RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Thu, 01/13/05 7:04 AM (permalink)
                                My treat as a little kid was when my daddy got me a little Co Cola and put in a bag of peanuts. That's my actual roadfood today. Lunch in a bottle! Followed of course by bbq somwhere good...
                                 
                                #46
                                  ScreamingChicken

                                  • Total Posts: 4710
                                  • Joined: 11/5/2004
                                  • Location: Stoughton, WI
                                  RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Thu, 01/13/05 9:17 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by michaelgemmell

                                  Dad then taught us how to prepare the paper cover for shooting at the soda jerk by blowing into the straw. The "Soda jerk" was actually Mrs. Leighton, who announced, "Joe Gemmell, you could have avoided teaching your sons how to do that!" She wasn't upset, not really. A few years after that the domestic manufacturers put tiny holes in the covers so it wouldn't work. In recent years, however, I have noticed that someone forgot the holes, and you can once again blow the covers off. Tear off one end of the cover, then bunch the cover away from the open end, then aim and BLOW!
                                  My wife has nothing but undying gratitude for me teaching our daughters this important skill. Haven't taught them the art of ketchup-packet warfare yet, though...

                                  I too remember the 16-oz returnable bottles with the crimped-on caps (and the cork liners from my childhood); they were still in common use at least into the early '80s. What I find interesting is that the returnable represents the ultimate in recycling but without the re-refining needed for the plastic bottles - just wash, refill, and resell! And so many states nowadays are charging a 5 or 10-cent deposit on aluminum cans and plastic bottles - just like the deposit on the returnable.

                                  When I was in school and living in a non-airconditioned dorm, one of my floormates dropped a glass 16-oz Mountain Dew bottle on the tile floor. It was September, it was hot, and the bottle was full and unopened. IIRC he had to go to the hospital to have glass shards removed from his leg...

                                  Brad
                                   
                                  #47
                                    UncleVic

                                    • Total Posts: 6025
                                    • Joined: 10/14/2003
                                    • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Thu, 01/13/05 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by emsmom

                                    This is a little off the subject, but I remember when we used to have milk delivered to our house. My Mom would order us special treats of chocolate milk in the bottles. All that sealed the bottle was a little cardboard cap. Oh, the taste of the cold milk out of a glass bottle was hard to beat.
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

                                    Kayo chocolate drink in the glass bottle was my favorite.



                                    Talk about a flashback! I remember them gray galvanized boxs with a flip top that used to sit by everyones front door (to keep the milk cool after delivery, and for your empties)..
                                     
                                    #48
                                      Michael Hoffman

                                      • Total Posts: 17801
                                      • Joined: 7/1/2000
                                      • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                      RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Thu, 01/13/05 7:41 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by UncleVic
                                      [br


                                      Talk about a flashback! I remember them gray galvanized boxs with a flip top that used to sit by everyones front door (to keep the milk cool after delivery, and for your empties)..


                                      I sure do remember them. We had a four-bottle box.
                                       
                                      #49
                                        felix4067

                                        • Total Posts: 3289
                                        • Joined: 12/13/2003
                                        • Location: Near Grand Rapids, MI
                                        RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Thu, 01/13/05 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                        We never had a box on the porch (although some of the neighbours did), but until I was in 7th grade (when they closed for good) we used to drive over to the dairy and get our milk. Came in the glass bottles with the foil lids, in a six-bottle crate (metal and wood crate, not the plastic ones), and you paid a hefty deposit on the bottles so you'd bring them back for reuse.

                                        Man, I miss the dairy.
                                         
                                        #50
                                          michaelgemmell

                                          • Total Posts: 673
                                          • Joined: 3/17/2004
                                          • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                          RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Thu, 01/13/05 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                          Now, Brad, remember, paper doesn't stain. Ketchup is our childhood "fake blood," remember, so think before you act. If I am too late, spot colored clothes with Spray 'n Wash or Shout and then drizzle Dawn dishwashing liquid on top of that. For white garments, use a "gel" type dishwasher product with Dawn on top and wash in hot. If the spot is not yet lifted, air-dry only as the dryer will set the stain. This works for so many other things.

                                          Dream on with the Soda Dreams of your youth, but find good sodas you can buy now, and wait 'til they're on sale to give the makers of the fancy-priced goods the message. Right now I'm drinking a Jones Soda lemon drop soda from the glass. It's good!
                                           
                                          #51
                                            Gizmolito

                                            • Total Posts: 312
                                            • Joined: 10/18/2004
                                            • Location: New Whiteland, IN
                                            RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Sun, 07/3/05 10:21 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                                            When I was in the Air Force we'd always do the farthest-away thing with the Coke bottles. The guy whose bottle came from the closest bottler had to buy all the Cokes. I'd forgotten all abouot that.


                                            I remember playing the same game, checking the bottom of coke bottles to see how far away they had been bottled.

                                            So it was disappointing to me when I toured a glass making plant in Gas City, Indiana in the 1970...in the glass etching section of the plant, the workers simply took random molds from a big bin that had cities from around the country on them.

                                            No connection at all to where they were bottled.
                                             
                                            #52
                                              tomj63

                                              • Total Posts: 1
                                              • Joined: 7/23/2005
                                              • Location: Santa Fe, NM
                                              RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Sat, 07/23/05 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                              I have a way to get my hands on some 16 oz glass bottles of Coke (pop). I could sell to anybody who is intrested.
                                              If intrested please send a E-mail to me at
                                              tomj63@yahoo.com
                                              with Coke in the subject line.

                                              Tomj63
                                               
                                              #53
                                                Greyghost

                                                • Total Posts: 1336
                                                • Joined: 8/19/2004
                                                • Location: Albany, NY
                                                RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Sat, 07/23/05 6:58 PM (permalink)
                                                Goya puts out an interesting line of sodas in many flavors. The 12 ounce bottle with crimped cap may seem very retro, but is a Goya standard.

                                                These are not your standard sodas, however. Most of the flavors are fruit based, with the notable exception of Goya's Jamaican Ginger Beer. I am a fan of this concoction, although I have seen humorous references to it as the Ginger Beer from Hell on the web:

                                                http://triangelwings.journalspace.com/?entryid=383

                                                I find Goya's Jamaican Ginger Beer quite good and do not care if it might originate from Hell. So much of what we consume today originates from Hell anyway, one soda more or less will make little difference.

                                                Actually what sets this soda apart is that it has full ginger flavor combined with a little hot pepper. Those adverse to hot pepper will not like this soda and will send it straight back to Hell. I like strong ginger and hot pepper so I consider it Heaven sent.


                                                 
                                                #54
                                                  beacupcake

                                                  • Total Posts: 29
                                                  • Joined: 3/29/2005
                                                  • Location: Chandler, AZ
                                                  RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 07/25/05 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                                  In Scottsdale, AZ, there is a little shop that specializes in Soda pop and glass bottled soda and things related to soda. You can buy on-line as well...if he can't get it, I doubt anyone can.

                                                  He does sell Nehi Orange soda too!

                                                  http://www.popsoda.com/

                                                  Enjoy :-)
                                                   
                                                  #55
                                                    Tony Bad

                                                    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Mon, 07/25/05 10:05 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

                                                    Enginecapt, I hadn't thought about licking the insides of the bottlecaps for over 40 years, but I, too, now remember the taste of the cork!

                                                    More important that the straws were paper was the paper wrapper. My dad sold appliances at Sears and had Wednesday as his day off. Every Wednesday he'd pick us up after school (no crummy school bus that day) and take us to Leighton's Sundries in Galesburg IL, where they had a real soda fountain. Dad then taught us how to prepare the paper cover for shooting at the soda jerk by blowing into the straw. The "Soda jerk" was actually Mrs. Leighton, who announced, "Joe Gemmell, you could have avoided teaching your sons how to do that!" She wasn't upset, not really. A few years after that the domestic manufacturers put tiny holes in the covers so it wouldn't work. In recent years, however, I have noticed that someone forgot the holes, and you can once again blow the covers off. Tear off one end of the cover, then bunch the cover away from the open end, then aim and BLOW!

                                                    Thanks for reminding me so completely today what it was like growing up in the 1960s!


                                                    I know this an old post, but I had to tell you it made me laugh this morning when I came across it...and you will be happy to know I have passed this skill on to my kids! You are right, they have forgotten the holes!!
                                                     
                                                    #56
                                                      Zman

                                                      • Total Posts: 93
                                                      • Joined: 5/26/2003
                                                      • Location: Anchorage, AK
                                                      RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Tue, 07/26/05 2:09 AM (permalink)
                                                      I remember riding my bike the 1/2 mile from the farmhouse down the road to the Milnerville store. (NW Iowa) There was a 90 yr old man named Albert who always was patient with the "penny candy" jar,and the old wooden floor creaked with every step. There was an old beverage cooler with rows of bottles neck-deep in ice water locked in galvanized metal rows that you had to push along to a gate that allowed you to lift the bottle out AFTER you deposited your quarter.
                                                      Then he would use a big handled opener to open it for you,and you were on your way!
                                                      The Post Office closed in 1967 because there were only 3 people left living there, but I sure had a good time visiting that old general store as a kid!
                                                       
                                                      #57
                                                        DinoS

                                                        • Total Posts: 128
                                                        • Joined: 8/7/2003
                                                        • Location: Pacific Grove, CA
                                                        RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle Tue, 07/26/05 2:35 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Zman

                                                        There was an old beverage cooler with rows of bottles neck-deep in ice water locked in galvanized metal rows that you had to push along to a gate that allowed you to lift the bottle out AFTER you deposited your quarter.


                                                        Thanks for the good memory Zman. We had the same type of cooler when I was in grade school in the '50's. Cost .05 cents as I remember.

                                                        A young lady, a classmate, once offered to buy me a 'pop' every day if I agreed to be her boyfriend. I made a big mistake and declined.


                                                        Dino
                                                         
                                                        #58
                                                          Rusty246

                                                          • Total Posts: 2413
                                                          • Joined: 7/15/2003
                                                          • Location: Newberry, FL
                                                          Re:Cold pop in a glass bottle Tue, 05/24/11 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                                          We finally have have Nehi in TWO stores in my area.  Grape, Orange, Peach.  NO STRAWBERRY! Is it gone for good?  Can't find it on line either.
                                                           
                                                          #59
                                                            chewingthefat

                                                            • Total Posts: 6093
                                                            • Joined: 11/22/2007
                                                            • Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                            Re:Cold pop in a glass bottle Tue, 05/24/11 5:34 PM (permalink)
                                                            Rusty246


                                                            We finally have have Nehi in TWO stores in my area.  Grape, Orange, Peach.  NO STRAWBERRY! Is it gone for good?  Can't find it on line either.

                                                            Try www.sodapopstop.com, if it ain't there, it ain't!
                                                             
                                                            #60
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 61

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com