Cold pop in a glass bottle

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
corabeth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
2005/01/09 15:39:10 (permalink)

Cold pop in a glass bottle

I know I am showing my age, but I would love to have a cold Nehi orange in a glass bottle. I loved the coolers that would be filled with ice. You would dig down to the bottom of the cooler to get the coldest bottle. The best time to have one was when you were traveling on vacation in the summer time. Of course, I am talking about the days before air conditioning in cars. I grew up in West Virginia & all of our traveling was to the south & it would get really HOT!! We would stop for gas & get a cold pop. We never has pop at home(too expensive), so this was a real treat. A Neih orange was my favorite.

60 Replies Related Threads

DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 15:44:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by corabeth

A Neih orange was my favorite.

One of mine too corabeth.

I also liked an ice cold Coca-Cola in a glass bottle. I haven't seen Coke in glass bottles since I moved to California 20 years ago. Do they still have glass bottled Coke back east?

Dino
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 15:56:05 (permalink)
    You know what I used to hate about soda in glass bottles? I used to hate it when using a straw and after the first sip the straw would always sink into the bottle.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 16:09:35 (permalink)
    I miss Mountain Dew back when they had it in bottles... Flavor was so much better, especially in the late 60's and 70's. Todays taste don't even come close to what it used to be...
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 613
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 16:34:38 (permalink)

Dino, they still have Coke in glass bottles/sixpacks: a lot of them are
    also collector's items since they commemorate something such as NASCAR, Florida
    State football, etc.....
    It's the drink of choice at two of the South's well-known hot dog
    establishments: Nu-Way Wieners in Macon and Skin Thrasher's in Anderson, SC
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 16:42:22 (permalink)
    When I was very young my dad's second job was driving a sand truck. Sometime I would get to go on one of those hot trips with him and he would stop at a little cafe for a 'couple o' dogs' and coffee. I would always get a hot dog with either a Nehi orange or a Nu Grape. The best hot dogs ever made. The paper the hot dog was wrapped in was full of orange-colored grease from the chili. I had to get a fork or spoon to eat the chili, slaw and onions that fell off the dog.
    That was real roadfood.
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 16:50:22 (permalink)
    When I was very young my dad's second job was driving a sand truck. Sometime I would get to go on one of those hot trips with him and he would stop at a little cafe for a 'couple o' dogs' and coffee. I would always get a hot dog with either a Nehi orange or a Nu Grape. The best hot dogs ever made. The paper the hot dog was wrapped in was full of orange-colored grease from the chili. I had to get a fork or spoon to eat the chili, slaw and onions that fell off the dog.
    That was real roadfood.
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 16:54:36 (permalink)
    quote:

I know I am showing my age, but I would love to have a cold Nehi orange in a glass bottle. I loved the coolers that would be filled with ice. You would dig down to the bottom of the cooler to get the coldest bottle. The best time to have one was when you were traveling on vacation in the summer time. Of course, I am talking about the days before air conditioning in cars. I grew up in West Virginia & all of our traveling was to the south & it would get really HOT!! We would stop for gas & get a cold pop. We never has pop at home(too expensive), so this was a real treat. A Neih orange was my favorite.

You can order Orange Nehi in a bottle from Galcos Soda Pop Stop:

http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/flavors/browse.cfm?link=33&s=15
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 16:57:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I miss Mountain Dew back when they had it in bottles... Flavor was so much better, especially in the late 60's and 70's. Todays taste don't even come close to what it used to be...

You can still get Mountain Dew in a bottle:
    http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=13
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 17:17:57 (permalink)
    Check with chain liqour stores to find more soda in bottles. I have seen the Nehi Orange at Beverages & More here in CA, as well as many other great sodas, like Green River. Please try Faygo's Black Raspberry soda in the pint bottle if you see it. Nothing but sugar, blackberry juice and water in there!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 17:34:23 (permalink)
    I buy Coca-Cola in 8 oz. bottles at BJ's down here, the only catch being you must purchase a case at the time. The taste can't be beat. As for Ne-hi, I haven't seen it in a long time.

Dennis in Cary

nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 18:28:48 (permalink)
    My favorite was Grapette. Anyone remember that they sold it syrup form to be mixed with water? It came in a few different shaped bottles (clown, elephant and cat) and was a bank when empty. I guess liking it so much is why I became a collector many years later.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 19:28:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

You know what I used to hate about soda in glass bottles? I used to hate it when using a straw and after the first sip the straw would always sink into the bottle.

The straw was too short.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 19:30:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

quote:

The straw was too short.

I don't know about your glass bottles, but the ones I'm talking about were taller than any straws.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 19:39:42 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

The straw was too short.

I don't know about your glass bottles, but the ones I'm talking about were taller than any straws.

Perzackly...
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 20:13:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Slick

My favorite was Grapette.
    It came in a few different shaped bottles (clown, elephant and cat) and was a bank when empty.

Slick,
    So THAT'S why all the old Grapette bottles I run across are broken! - Kids used them for banks, then broke in and grabbed their money....
    Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Unfizzy Athens, Georgia.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 20:17:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
    Originally posted by Slick

My favorite was Grapette.
    It came in a few different shaped bottles (clown, elephant and cat) and was a bank when empty.

Slick,
    So THAT'S why all the old Grapette bottles I run across are broken! - Kids used them for banks, then broke in and grabbed their money....

I'm sure I wrote this in the Regional Soda thread, but I'll say it here again. I collect old painted label soda bottles. I have a fully intact six pack of Grapette from the late 1940's/early 1950's.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 20:19:03 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    At least ten or eleven sodas are available here in old-fashioned glass bottles - Nehi, R. C., Cheerwine, Sundrop, and several more. Not all large supermarkets carry the package, but most remaining independent grocers do, as well as smaller accounts. The main place I see them on a day-to-day basis here in Athens is Barnett's News Stand on College Square downtown.
    Come to think of it, Nehi Peach is back on the market, along with three or four others. These come from Columbus, Georgia, where they are ubiquitously found; Cheerwine and Sundrop hail from Salisbury, North Carolina, where they, too, are everywhere.
    Good luck in your quest.
    Noncarbonatedly, Ort. Carlton in Burpless Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I'd join you in a toast, but since I am hypoglycaemic, I can only drink "diet" sodas! Those don't appear to be available in the old-timey bottles, so I have to make do with other packaging.
    J. Wellington Wimpy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 20:19:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DinoS

quote:

A Neih orange was my favorite.

One of mine too corabeth.

I also liked an ice cold Coca-Cola in a glass bottle. I haven't seen Coke in glass bottles since I moved to California 20 years ago. Do they still have glass bottled Coke back east?

Dino

I'm a Coca-Cola Merchandiser, and yes, we still do have the glass bottles, with no screw off top. They're the best. I just wish they made'em in 12 oz instead of 8 oz.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 20:25:55 (permalink)
    Just before the screw-top came into the market, The ultimate "Pop-Top" bottle was the main seller...the 16 0z (returnable) tall ones. All the major brands used them. I loved the feel and the way it held in the cold ! I think Bubble-Up was the first brand to use them, but in the early 80's they were everywhere. Then came the short-fat 16 oz screwtops and now the 20oz plastic screwtop. The taste of the product is completely different that what we used to get in Glass. Thank Heaven the Beer-Folks seem to be avoiding the Plastic containers.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 21:19:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Thank Heaven the Beer-Folks seem to be avoiding the Plastic containers.

Shhhhh... Dont give them any ideas... Actually Coors put out their Coors and Coors light in plastic containers... Not sure if they still do it or not...
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/09 21:40:04 (permalink)
    At Christmas here, they sell (8 oz?) bottles of Coke in 6 packs of glass bottles for $3.50.

As respondents to this thread have demonstrated, soda in a glass bottle seems to be preferred to what the beverage industry is giving us today.

Plastic bottle = petroleum product

Glass bottle = sand/silicon (an unlimited resource)

Man, we're really off the track. IMHO.

Dino

J. Wellington Wimpy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/10 00:16:36 (permalink)
    quote:

Just before the screw-top came into the market, The ultimate "Pop-Top" bottle was the main seller...the 16 0z (returnable) tall ones. All the major brands used them. I loved the feel and the way it held in the cold !

Yeah, it does hold in the cold. I wish they sold 16 oz glass bottles now. People would buy those like mad! I like how when you open them when they're ice-cold, a kind of smoke hovers at the top of the bottle, and then swirls out.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3449
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/10 02:31:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

Thank Heaven the Beer-Folks seem to be avoiding the Plastic containers.

Shhhhh... Dont give them any ideas... Actually Coors put out their Coors and Coors light in plastic containers... Not sure if they still do it or not...

Also Budweiser, and a couple others. They're primarily sold to clubs that don't want broken glass all over their dance floors (think the Orbit Room).
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/10 07:46:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Slick,

Probably not. The banks have screw on lids.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/10 08:47:25 (permalink)
    My favorite cold drink in a bottle was Orange Crush. It was in a brown bottle and the drink was sorta amber colored. We used to go to our favorite drive in and they served drinks in bottles. A good hot dog all the way and a cold orange crush was wonderful. Now, we can get Orange Crush at Wal Mart, but in clear glass bottles.
    I remember something else we used to do. After my friends and I finished drinking a coke , we would look on the bottom of the bottle to see which city the drink was bottled in and the person with the bottle from the city the longest distance away was the winner.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/10 09:19:04 (permalink)
    Corabeth, I can see that you're another "pop" person (see "soda" vs. "pop" thread at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6080). My favorite soda as a child (and I'm dating myself, too) was Tru-Ade. It was non-carbonated and came in grape and orange flavors in, of course, glass bottles. I don't know if this was a regional soda (I live in Washington, DC) or if it was available nationally. Does anyone else remember this brand? Whatever became of it? Is it still available somewhere?
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/10 09:54:31 (permalink)
    One of my earliest soda pop memories goes back to the late 50's in Inglewood, CA. (I was born in 55, so do the math) My Dad would be in the yard of a hot summer Saturday, cutting the grass while Vin Scully announced the Dodger game from the old Philco roll top portable radio. I can still smell the tang of the fresh cut grass mixed with the smoke from his Kents. He'd say "jump in the car", we'd load up the 1959 powder blue Ford station wagon and take the short trip down Yukon and across Imperial Ave to Haney's Market. I always had him pick a Nesbitts orange soda for me from inside the big cooler. Mr Haney would uncap it and leave the bottle cap partially on the bottle. I always pulled off the cap and tasted the underside of it, for back then the inside seal was of cork, and the orange soaked cork liner had a pleasant heady aroma and taste.

To this day, when I'm broiling under the relentless heat of a Fontana summer, there isn't anything that refreshes me like a cold, orange soda from a glass bottle. I'm SOL on the cork lined bottle caps though.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/10 10:05:05 (permalink)
    In Maine,we had a 'mom and pop' little store in which the owner had one of those ancient coca-cola coolers with circulationg ice water(a big chunk of ice would be put in this beginning each day). Memories of coke,nehi,orange crush and,of course,Moxie still linger, boy that was cold soda
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Cold pop in a glass bottle 2005/01/10 10:19:00 (permalink)
    quote:

[quotePerzackly...

So, it was not a case of short straw, but long bottle.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1