Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
Grillnut
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/29 17:37:05 (permalink)
I tried my first slaw dog yesterday. Since I'm nowhere near slaw dog territory, I had to make it myself.

It was...okay. Not bad, not great. The slaw was the problem; I think I need a better slaw recipe. Any suggestions?
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/29 17:43:23 (permalink)
Allyk , hey from a fellow Alabamian ! The slaw that we use on our dogs down here in S.E. AL. is a sweet mayonnaise-based slaw ... Sooooo Good !
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 512
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/29 18:03:40 (permalink)
interesting to note the type of slaw....for hot dogs in
North Carolina, you'll find more sweet creamy slaws with
larger pieces of cabbage,

BUUTTT,

for barbecue, you'll find more finely chopped vinegary slaw.

Exceptions abound, of course, but I can dig the difference and
how each works with it's respective meat.
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/29 18:08:19 (permalink)
This is my favorite slaw recipe. I got it from this thread and have used it ever since.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23657
MR. C's FAMOUS YELLOW SLAW (copycat)

2 1/2 to 3 lb head of cabbage, shredded fine (squeeze out excess juice if too moist).
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper

Let set overnight in refregerator

The hot dog sauce recipe was give to me by a lady that ran a bar and grill in 50's and 60's in Kanawha City (East Charleston,WV)

The slaw recipe I duplicated through trial and error, it was used by Mr C's. Hotdogs located in North Charleston, downtown Charleston and Kanawha City (East Charleston, WV), it is also the same type of slaw that was used by The Dairy Post located in Marmet, WV

The Cole Slaw recipe is fantastic.I put a little salt on the shredded cabbage to draw out some moisture and let it sit in a colinder for about an hour. I also used some raw course light brown cane sugar instead of the white granulated. And finally I added a teaspoon of dried Jalapeno peppers for some heat. Great recipe was excellent on some grilled Koegles hot dogs with and without sauce. Guests loved it as a side dish also. Thanks alot it is now in my recipe book. Best sweet slaw recipe I have seen! Russ

Enjoy...Russ
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6321
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 02:14:10 (permalink)
thanks for the recipe..like the cider vinegar!!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13525
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 03:15:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

Allyk , hey from a fellow Alabamian ! The slaw that we use on our dogs down here in S.E. AL. is a sweet mayonnaise-based slaw ... Sooooo Good !

That is by far my favorite.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3916
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 03:57:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

That is by far my favorite.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Will transform your eating habits after Sat, Mustard Slaw only.
Yes have tryed the rest but the bite of a good Mustard Slaw on a dog, good or mediocre is Unreal. Compliments the product. Never experienced this till we moved here. Just our area at this point in life.
Now if I can only get half hots here, as in DC O MY
Off topic as usual,sorry.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 09:48:56 (permalink)
Ok, you sold me...got to try this mustard slaw!!!Recipe????
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 11:24:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Do not have a recipe, close to what Mr. Jackson has but everyone uses something different, Hot sauce, horseradish,or cayenne, always buy mine. Here is a link to a AL hot slaw, which is close but better. And if you google Bunyans BBQ this is what they use. Sat there one time for lunch and the crowd's for slaw dogs and BBq with the slaw was to say the least unreal. Changed my thinking. Tn calls it mustard slaw,AL hot slaw
Oh forgot link:
http://www.13wham.com/guides/recipe/story.aspx?content_id=1A3222EE-EEEB-42B9-ADD7-E5DDD7504AEF
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 11:49:01 (permalink)
Ok when going to restaurants/Dog Houses/BBQ they always have 3 slaws: Mustard,vinegar, or sweet, some sweet is cole slaw and some sweet is sweet vinegar based. Have to ask,cole slaw or vinegar. So many visitors, they try and please all regions. Mustard is warm to hot,depends on the place.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 12:02:21 (permalink)
quote:

Here are 2 recipes of the Memphis type:

This delicious slaw recipe can be served as a side dish or on pulled pork sandwiches. You can add more or less cayenne to adjust the spiciness of this dish.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients:
1 green cabbage, shredded
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
Preparation:
In a large mixing bowl combine cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, onion, and sugar. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan mix together remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, remove from heat, and pour over vegetables. Allow slaw to chill before
Memphis Mustard Coleslaw Tangy and Hot!
This is a very tangy slaw from "Raichlen on Ribs'' by Steve Raichlen.
20 min | 15 min prep

3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar (or more)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Texas Pete
coarse salt (kosher or sea)
fresh ground black pepper
1/2 large green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces (for about 4 cups finely chopped)
1 medium carrot, peeled
Place mustard and sugar in a non-reactive mixing bowl and whisk to mix. Gradually whisk in vinegar, oil and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste; the dressing should be highly seasoned. Set dressing aside.
Finely chop cabbage in a food processor fitted with a metal chopping blade, running the machine in short bursts; this is a chopped, not a shredded, slaw. Work in several batches so as not to overcrowd processor bowl.
Finely grate carrot by hand or use shredding disk of food processor.
Add cabbage and carrot to dressing and toss to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and vinegar as necessary.
The slaw tastes best served within a few hours of being made but can be refrigerated, covered, for a day or two.
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 12:30:07 (permalink)
Now I need to go to the local BBQ place for a hot dog! Living in NC hot dogs come "all the way" That would be Mustard,Chili,Onion and Slaw. Yum lunch time.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 13:02:07 (permalink)
Thanks so much,Porkbeaks!!! Will give it a try.
Lee
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 17:49:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

It tastes even better on a great tasting hotdog...the taste of the hot dog DOES come through and the slaw and chili adds to the whole experience!!!

gonna disagree there, LeetheBard. High quality dogs need no toppings and indeed the taste buds are distracted from the hotdog when chili is put on top. Chili, which I love, is full of spices and heat, and will mask any hotdog. No way around it. Chili is too spicy NOT to cover up meat.

Like Scorereader, I agree that the measure of a hot dog is the quality of the meat. Most of the time I enjoy my hot dog with just mustard. But I do have dogs with chili (and slaw ) from time to time. I also enjoy the unique relish at Rutt's Hut.

Although it is common in the South to use a cheaper, blander dog, here in N.J. many places use a top notch dog and offer toppings. I've found that sometimes the taste of the hot dog does come through and sometimes it is masked.At Tony's Truck in Newark, they use a flavorful beef dog that you can taste despite the chili, which is tomatoey and not overly spicy. At Father & Son, they also use a flavorful beef dog, but the flavor is indeed somewhat masked by the very spicy chili.

I like chili on both beef and beef/pork dogs. Probably more so on the milder (but high quality) beef/pork dogs. Thanks to this thread, I ran out and got some chili and coleslaw and will be having chili slaw dogs later this evening.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 20:11:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

quote:

quote:

It tastes even better on a great tasting hotdog...the taste of the hot dog DOES come through and the slaw and chili adds to the whole experience!!!

gonna disagree there, LeetheBard. High quality dogs need no toppings and indeed the taste buds are distracted from the hotdog when chili is put on top. Chili, which I love, is full of spices and heat, and will mask any hotdog. No way around it. Chili is too spicy NOT to cover up meat.

Like Scorereader, I agree that the measure of a hot dog is the quality of the meat. Most of the time I enjoy my hot dog with just mustard. But I do have dogs with chili (and slaw ) from time to time. I also enjoy the unique relish at Rutt's Hut.

Although it is common in the South to use a cheaper, blander dog, here in N.J. many places use a top notch dog and offer toppings. I've found that sometimes the taste of the hot dog does come through and sometimes it is masked.At Tony's Truck in Newark, they use a flavorful beef dog that you can taste despite the chili, which is tomatoey and not overly spicy. At Father & Son, they also use a flavorful beef dog, but the flavor is indeed somewhat masked by the very spicy chili.

I like chili on both beef and beef/pork dogs. Probably more so on the milder (but high quality) beef/pork dogs. Thanks to this thread, I ran out and got some chili and coleslaw and will be having chili slaw dogs later this evening.

We had our Burnsville hotdogs tonight also...on Hebrew National(the Jumbos they sell at Costco)..the dog has a pretty intense flavor...and it did come through....chili and slaw,I feel, is no reason to use a cheap dog...almost always,you can taste that dog...a cheap bland dog might get lost in the chili...my Shickhaus or (like tonight) the Hebrew National shined thriugh!!!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 20:14:35 (permalink)
I'm surprised no one has written a novel about a guy who puts coleslaw on his hot dog.

The Bear
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 20:25:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
Dearfolk, I would be really happy to find a place that did up their slaw dogs with a mustardy slaw, so there would be no need for extra mustard on the dog. Methinks I need to try this at Allen's Hamburgers one sunny day by adding mustard to their cole slaw and schlumping it onto a poor unsuspecting dog, awaiting my devour from its hiding place inside two slices of Luna Bakery Marbled Rye Bread.

Dearfolk,
I most certainly did try it at Allen's Hamburgers here in lovely Athens. I ate the first half of the dog with a good adding of standard slaw, then added mustard to the slaw and splopped it on half number two. The verdict? I LOVED it both ways, but really preferred the mustardy slaw version... I could've eaten two or three of 'em!
Dearhearts, I'll try to find time Sunday to post about my Atlanta trip and the eats I've found there, as well as what I've had lately in and around Athens. We're Georgia-Florida game crazy in these parts, so the entire town is attempting a shutdown so the game will be adequately attended (I won't be there, natch). The library is on skeletal hours, at best. And I STILL don't have a home computer!
UnobliGatorially, Ort. Carlton in Almost Empty Athens, Georgia.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18700
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 20:32:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

I'm surprised no one has written a novel about a guy who puts coleslaw on his hot dog.

The Bear

I understand Stephen King has been too busy with other horror stories.
nysharks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/30 20:57:45 (permalink)
Payne's in Scottsboro, Alabama has a hot dog served with red slaw on top. I could be mistaken but I think it had ketchup in the slaw. Being from the old school of mustard, the dog was not to my liking. But the place itself was quite interesting as it was an old style soda shop that dates back to 1869.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 06:44:51 (permalink)
Never had cole slaw with ketchup in it...mayo and ketchup???????
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 08:43:18 (permalink)
quote:

Never had cole slaw with ketchup in it...mayo and ketchup???????

How 'bout cole slaw made with thousand island dressing? pb
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 09:56:27 (permalink)
1000 island slaw

1 cup shredded Grn cabbage
1 cup shredded Red cabbage
1/3 cup mayo
2 Tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons relish
Mix the dressing to taste and mix with shredded cabbage.

Never made this but was given to me.
flyseye
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 470
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 10:09:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by uncledaveyo

I don't like it because its different.

I love sarcastic humor. Thanks for a good laugh !
nysharks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 10:11:07 (permalink)
Payne's wasn't a creamy slaw, more on the vinegar side.
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 10:31:58 (permalink)
Here is a Southern Ketchup Slaw ...

SOUTHERN KETCHUP SLAW :

4 c Cabbage, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 c Sugar
1/3 c Heinz catsup
2 tb White vinegar
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Black pepper, or more
Dash cayenne

Mix all ingredients except cabbage and onion . Mix well and add to the finely chopped cabbage and onion . Mix well and chill.

Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 13:42:48 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

quote:

quote:

We had our Burnsville hotdogs tonight also...on Hebrew National(the Jumbos they sell at Costco)..the dog has a pretty intense flavor...and it did come through....chili and slaw,I feel, is no reason to use a cheap dog...almost always,you can taste that dog...a cheap bland dog might get lost in the chili...my Shickhaus or (like tonight) the Hebrew National shined thriugh!!!

I can still "taste" even the blandest hotdog topped with the hottest chili. Admittedly, "cover up" was a bad term to use. What I meant was, "interfere with." I don't want all that spice interfering with my high quality hotdog.

We have a thing in DC called half-smokes. The best I can describe them, is as a spicy kielbasa the size of a jumbo hotdog. They have enough spice that you can pile the chili on high and still taste the meat. IMO, if a hotdog is spiced that much, then chili can't cover it up. Hebrew National, to me, is that way. They pile the spices so high that, of course, chili won't "cover up" their spice.

I prefer high quality german hotdogs (franks) from my hometown of Syracuse, NY Hofmann Franks. The flavor, on the spice meter, is more mild than the spiced up Hebrew Nationals or Nathans hotdogs. the texture is smooth. no grit. Sort of like a high quality bologna. When grilled right, the flavor pops out and intensified, sort of like fried bologna gets more intense.

Then there's my beloved Coney. Also called a white snappy. (not to be confused with a "coney" that is a hotdog with chili on it) The coney (or white snappy) is an upstate NY favorite. It's a white hotdog made with veal and pork. It's a bit spicier than its german frank cousin, but the texture is smooth (not gritty like a brat). So it snaps on the outside, but is soft and silky on the inside. It's got a spice that is unique to itself and blends well with a thin line of brown mustard.

Can these dogs stand up to chili? heck yes. But, IMO, they don't need the distraction.

With all that in mind, I still love chili dogs and the all the way NC style, with chili and slaw. I don't think I'd do that to my favorite german franks (mostly, because I don't get to have them all that often), but I don't mind the distraction of the toppings on any other dog. In fact, when in NC, I prefer it - even with high quality dogs. I guess it's the "when in Rome" adage. I can't help myself but to say yes to the "all the way?" question.

At Ben's Chili Bowl here in DC, I almost always get chili on the hotdog or half-smoke. It's impossible for me to go to a place called Ben's Chili bowl, and NOT get my dog topped with chili. Do their dogs need it? no. But sometimes, more is, well...more!

What does all this mean? Well, it means I like my favorite hotdogs the way I like my favorite hotdogs. But, you'll get no complaints from me if the toppings are piled on any other hotdog. Heck, those Vienna Beefs piled with a salad are great! And perhaps the reason some folks use a cheap hotdog when serving an all the way NC style dog, is because they don't want the hotdog to interfere with the flavor of the chili and slaw!
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 20:18:57 (permalink)
I like a fried Nathans footlong hotdog topped with chili, slaw which is not sweet or a vinegar based slaw, a dab of mustard and some onion.
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 20:28:29 (permalink)
Easy Marinated Slaw

1 bag coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
1/4 cup white onion, chopped
salt
pepper
1/2 can petite diced tomatoes ( or more if you like)
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 bottle Old Dutch sweet and sour salad dressing (if you cannot find it, use a mild plain Italian salad dressing)

Combine ingredients, place in refrigerator and let flavors blend for a day. Stir, add more salad dressing if needed.

This is a Speechpeach (Laurie) creation that I devised when I needed to take a salad to a cookout and combined what I found at hand. It is good on top of a hot dog or a burger, also good with grilled chicken or fish.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 21:04:05 (permalink)
I like New York in June, and if there happens to
be some slaw around, that's good, too,
How about you?

The Bear
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2008/10/31 21:10:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

I like New York in June, and if there happens to
be some slaw around, that's good, too,
How about you?

The Bear

Oh...rhyme time!!!

New York IS the place

The end of the race

Cole slaw is good

When you are in the hood!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6