The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!!

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 4 of 6, messages 91 to 120 of 179
Grillnut

• Total Posts: 147
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 11/21/08 3:30 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

This is my favorite slaw recipe. I got it from this thread and have used it ever since.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23657
MR. C's FAMOUS YELLOW SLAW (copycat)...

Enjoy...Russ

I made this slaw a couple of days ago, let it sit in the refrigerator a while, and used it to make slaw dogs with chili today. Now, that was one heck of a good hot dog! Thanks for posting the recipe.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
    RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 11/21/08 4:19 PM (permalink)
    Cole Slaw and Chips
    With mayo, mustard and ketchup.
    Almost like a Venezuelan Hot Dog.

Diamond

• Total Posts: 8
      RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 11/27/08 11:31 AM (permalink)
      About a year ago I ate at the Penguin in Charlotte N.C. I had a foot long with chili and slaw that they called the dragon or something like that. The slaw was kind of sweet but the twist was a hot sauce kind of like Tobasco between the slaw and chili. I liked it alot and have tried to reproduce it at home a few times.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6083
        RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 11/28/08 11:29 AM (permalink)
        As I said earlier,my kids often request what we call a "Burnsville Hotdog" just like you describe above...I just don't find any footlongs around here...so we use a quality large dog, a bit smaller!!!They are a taste treat,aren't they!!!

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
          RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 11/28/08 12:40 PM (permalink)
          Will give it a try today

leethebard

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 11/28/08 1:45 PM (permalink)
            Enjoy...don't forget Slaw goes last, on top of the chili!!!!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
              RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 11/28/08 1:50 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Rick F. A hot dog without slaw? Except for a Chicago style dog, such a thing is as abominable a notion as a Memphis BBQ without it!
              I'd like to know if Lucky's (on Clark Street a little more than a block from Wrigley Field) serves these. They serve sandwiches with slaw and french fries incorporated in the actual sandwich, which I love after Cubs games.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
                RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sat, 11/29/08 9:56 AM (permalink)
                I make my cole slaw without mayo. Anybody else?

Hambonemalone

• Total Posts: 23
                  RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Tue, 12/2/08 5:05 PM (permalink)
                  Being from Long Isand, I never heard of slaw on a dog untill I moved down here to NC and tried a "Carolina" dog. Not bad, just different than the Nathans with mustard back home. They put the same fixin's on a hambergure down here too!

Williamsburger

• Total Posts: 395
                    RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sat, 12/6/08 1:10 PM (permalink)
                    I'm amazed with all this talk about cole slaw on a hot dog (which I love, btw) no one has mentioned a "Venezuelan Hot Dog". They use unadorned raw cabbage, but since I'm lazy I buy cole slaw. They also top their dogs with onions, crushed potato chips, and a mix of ketchup (no thanks!), mustard and mayo! I wasn't sure about the mayo, but when I tried it I really liked it. Ok, not for everyday use (I shouldn't be eating hot dogs everyday, anyway), but fun and messy to try.

Cathy, expecting many reactions to this one

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
                      RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sun, 12/7/08 7:49 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Williamsburger

I'm amazed with all this talk about cole slaw on a hot dog (which I love, btw) no one has mentioned a "Venezuelan Hot Dog". They use unadorned raw cabbage, but since I'm lazy I buy cole slaw. They also top their dogs with onions, crushed potato chips, and a mix of ketchup (no thanks!), mustard and mayo! I wasn't sure about the mayo, but when I tried it I really liked it. Ok, not for everyday use (I shouldn't be eating hot dogs everyday, anyway), but fun and messy to try.

Cathy, expecting many reactions to this one

Mayo is a big topping and slaw/chili, would not believe everything that is asked for. Their stomachs not mine.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                        RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sun, 12/7/08 8:12 AM (permalink)
                        Just give me a nice grilled dog with plenty of diced onions and some good mustard. Maybe a bit of relish also; but not much.

A2Mich

• Total Posts: 31
                          RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sun, 12/7/08 9:59 AM (permalink)
                          Actually, I like mayo on hot dogs as well, but not when I have chili or slaw. Mayo, mustard, onion, cheese is a fine combo.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                            RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Mon, 12/8/08 8:19 PM (permalink)
                            I have never been one to make waves here at Roodfood... but why is the "ketchup on a hotdog" thread in the "lighter fare" section... and this is still in the "hot dog" section?

Don't get me wrong... I think this thread is just where it needs to be. I just think the "ketchup" thread is not where it should be.

Or??? This should should moved to the LRF section/

Is that a wave??? Mods... please don't bar me. I'm just saying what I think.
                            Joe

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                              RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Tue, 12/9/08 4:49 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by PapaJoe8

I have never been one to make waves here at Roodfood... but why is the "ketchup on a hotdog" thread in the "lighter fare" section... and this is still in the "hot dog" section?

Don't get me wrong... I think this thread is just where it needs to be. I just think the "ketchup" thread is not where it should be.

Joe

Welcome back my friend I have missed you.

WORLDS BEST COLESLAW RECIPE FOR HOT DOGS

1 CUP KETCHUP
                              2 CUPS SHREDDED CABBAGE
                              1 CUP MIRACLE WHIP
                              1 CUP SHREDDED SWISS CHEESE
                              1 CUP CREAMED BAY CORN
                              SALT TO TASTE
                              PEPPER TO TASTE

ENJOY...Russ

leethebard

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Wed, 12/10/08 12:45 AM (permalink)
                                Wow...that' almost more like a side dish than a topping!!!

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
                                  RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Wed, 12/10/08 10:24 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Joe

Hey PapaJoe - good to see you again. I'll try to answer your question.

The forum descriptions have been modified. In the past the description may have read...Discuss HotDogs Here..

Now it says: Where did you have your favorite hot dogs, sausages & bratwursts, and where can others go to find similar treats?

The change is designed to keep the specific food areas clear of any conversation other then roadfood establishments. When I scan a thread (whether new or old), I let the general content decide if the thread should be moved. In the case of the ketchup thread, the bulk of the conversation is opinion about ketchup on dogs..not roadfood places. When I scanned this thread, many of the posts on the first page discussed specific restaurants or areas of the country that served dogs in this fashion.

So, this thread stayed in HotDogs and the other went south (in more ways then one )

Hope that answers your question.

DougS

• Total Posts: 475
                                    RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Tue, 12/16/08 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                    Welcome back to one of my favourite posters- Papa Joe.
                                    I concur, you were missed.

I had my first ever slaw dog at Dudes in Christiansburg, Va.
                                    Seemed strange, and I think, I lost most of it trying to open my mouth wide enough.
                                    I have been searching for a decent slaw recipe ever since. Not all slaw's work.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                      RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sun, 12/21/08 8:05 PM (permalink)
                                      John A

Next time I do cole slaw I'll save some for a slaw & chili dog

A little late to the thread here, but John, if you do, take pic's!

lucys hot dogs

• Total Posts: 15
                                        Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Wed, 01/7/09 11:09 PM (permalink)
                                        spicy coleslaw is by far my favorite topping!

WICristie

• Total Posts: 2
                                          Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 01/8/09 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                          I like coleslaw with or without the hot dog. To me, the best brats have kraut and mustard, but maybe that's because I'm from Wisconsin.

RoyalDogs

• Total Posts: 95
                                            Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Tue, 01/13/09 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                            Looks funny, Salad dog..

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                              Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 01/30/09 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                              My head hangs in shame as I admit to all that I've never had slaw on a hot dog ( boo, hiss! ) I've eaten at the Stewart's hot dog stand on the east side of Huntington WV many times, but I've never ordered anything but a BBQ pork sandwich ( with slaw! ) I'll be back there in about three months, and this time I'll definitely get a chili / slaw dog along with my BBQ sandwich. Years of eating pork chop sandwiches at Snappy Lunch taught me long ago to appreciate the joys of chili and sweet slaw together on a sandwich. Here's a website devoted to WV hot dogs: www.wvhotdogblog.blogspot.com I've read that in the upper one-third of WV, slaw on a dog is almost unheard of, while in the rest of the state, a slaw dog ( with chili ) is the norm. 

Wabbit

• Total Posts: 477
                                                Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 01/30/09 11:40 PM (permalink)
                                                nocarolina

My head hangs in shame as I admit to all that I've never had slaw on a hot dog ( boo, hiss! ) I've eaten at the Stewart's hot dog stand on the east side of Huntington WV many times, but I've never ordered anything but a BBQ pork sandwich ( with slaw! ) I'll be back there in about three months, and this time I'll definitely get a chili / slaw dog along with my BBQ sandwich. Years of eating pork chop sandwiches at Snappy Lunch taught me long ago to appreciate the joys of chili and sweet slaw together on a sandwich. Here's a website devoted to WV hot dogs: www.wvhotdogblog.blogspot.com I've read that in the upper one-third of WV, slaw on a dog is almost unheard of, while in the rest of the state, a slaw dog ( with chili ) is the norm. 

Kind Sir, the eating habits you have speak to my heart, Snappy's for a pork chop sandwich, Biscuitville, etc.. Have you never had the glorious pleasure of a "Carolia dog" On your next visit to NC please try a Dog ALW . For those of you not native to NC, that stands for all the way. onions, mustard,chili and slaw.. it is a bit of heaven on earth. enjoy :>)

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                                  Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sat, 01/31/09 1:30 AM (permalink)
                                                  Wabbit, I appreciate the kind words, and when I'm down in NC in the spring, I'll make a point of having an ATW NC dog. Will I find one at the Cook-Out chain? Their Carolina Q is a waste of time, but if they have dogs, I'll give 'em a try. If you check out the WV hot dog site, you'll see that fully-dressed NC dogs and WV dogs are virtually identical ( mustard, chili, slaw and onions. ) I've gotta try both. And, as I'm sure you've noticed, I LOVE Biscuitville! Sure wish we had them up here in Blago-land.... excuse me, FORMERLY Blago-land.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1935
                                                    RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sat, 01/31/09 1:35 AM (permalink)
                                                    I may be incapable of eating a hot dog without chili and coleslaw!

Actually, I enjoy most all regional variations, but a "chili slaw dog" is # 1 !

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
                                                      • Location: Burlington, NC
                                                      RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sat, 01/31/09 9:08 AM (permalink)
                                                      Although I am an equal opportunity hot dog consumer and will enjoy them with just mustard and relish or with mustard and sauerkraut, as a Southern gal, I love a good hot dog all-the-way with mustard, chili, slaw and onions. An earlier poster mentioned that the slaw must go on top and that is correct! But the onions do not go on top because they will start to tumble off with your very first bite - an onion avalanche as it were.

In my area of the central Piedmont of North Carolina, most slaw sold on hot dogs is of the creamy/mayo variety. Now I will be on the quest to try a dog with BBQ slaw or a vinegar type slaw. My "beef" is that so many hot dog joints use inferior brands of hot dogs - that puts me off them and enforces my belief that if I want a good dog, I'm better off making my own chili and slaw and buying a good brand of hot dogs to fix at home.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                        • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                        RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sat, 01/31/09 11:56 AM (permalink)
                                                        Thanks RibRater and DougS! It's good to be back. But... be carefull what you wish for. I knew about the change in thread purposes and think it's for the best.

My sweety will not eat a chili dog if does not have sauerkraut. I like slaw also, but can't get her to try it. She does insist on slaw, and hushpuppies, w/ her fried catfish. Weird how some folks must have some things a certain way. Oh... I might be that way about some things>@$^*)
                                                        Joe

leethebard

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sat, 01/31/09 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                                          Yup, that's called taste...we all have our tastes...and there's no accounting for taste!!!!!

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                                            • Joined: 12/13/2005
                                                            • Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
                                                            RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Sat, 01/31/09 2:56 PM (permalink)
                                                            Carolina dogs could conquer the world like Godzilla.
                                                            They can not be stopped.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 4 of 6, messages 91 to 120 of 179

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com