The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!!

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 179
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 8:33 AM (permalink)
When I used to spend summers in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina, I noticed when I ordered a hot dog in so many places, it came with coleslaw("slaw") on it...the first time I was asked if I wanted it,I thought I had heard "Kraut" and said yes...boy was I surprised...pleasantly so...it's delicious.....I especially enjoyed a dog with the works...they put that slaw right on top of the chili...looked strange but tasted great.....mustard ,onions, chili, then slaw....to this day..almost forty years later,my family loves them...we call them "Burnsville Hotdogs" in honor of the mountain town in Yancey County where I first had that taste treat on a great footlong served at Lil' Smoky's...
Been back to Yancey County twice, and we always enjoy a "Burnsville Hotdog" to celebrate.
I've never seen "slaw" served on a dog up here in Jersey or vacinity....how many of you have ever enjoyed this treat...ever had anything like the "Burnsville Hotdog"? If not give it a try!!!!!!!

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
    RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 8:36 AM (permalink)
    Slaw on a dog is very good. Odd, for me because I am not one who likes slaw on barbecue.

buffetbuster

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 8:45 AM (permalink)
      Slaw on dogs is also very popular in West Virginia. Personally, I love them! This is from the late, great Hocutt's of Moundsville, WV.

I believe I have also had them in Alabama.

Sundancer7

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 9:01 AM (permalink)
        Slawdogs are very common in East Tennessee. I was ordering them 40 years ago and they are still very prevalent. Generally creamy sweet slaw is used around Knoxville.

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
          RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 9:34 AM (permalink)
          I have not had slaw on a dog, but in Colorado, I was pleasantly surprised with slaw and chili on a burger. It was outstanding! I bet it would be good on a chili dog too!

John Sagi

• Total Posts: 146
            RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 9:53 AM (permalink)
            Lee
            If you want to try a place where you can make a slaw dog, You may want to try Broadway Bar and Grill in Point Pleasant, NJ. They are near the inlet across the street from the charter boats. They serve the hot dog with or without fries and they always have cole slaw. There slaw is creamy. This is as close as I've gotten to a slaw dog.

John

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
              RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 9:57 AM (permalink)
              Next time I do cole slaw I'll save some for a slaw & chili dog

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17853
                RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 9:57 AM (permalink)
                I was served a hot dog covered with slaw once in Charleston, West Virginia. I'd never heard of such a thing before. I tried it. Didn't care for it. Reminded me of the time I ordered a hamburger in Amarillo, Texas and the thing came covered with lettuce, tomato and onion. I said I hadn't ordered any lettuce, tomato or onion and the guy said that's the only way they made a hamburger. I was just 17 and where I grew up if you wanted a garden on a hamburger you had to order a "Deluxe," and it cost extra. I still don't eat burgers with gardens.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                  RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 10:31 AM (permalink)
                  We just had a Hot Dog joint open right in the city I live in (Xenia Ohio) about a month ago Called Vergie's Home of the West Virginia Slaw Dog. I am waiting until they get settled in before I do a formal review. They serve a steamed Nathans Dog with Homemade Chili and Slaw. Not a bad combination and he says it is his biggest seller so far...Russ

Luvthemdogs

• Total Posts: 16
                    RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 11:01 AM (permalink)
                    Rosco's big dog in Hartford, CT serves homemade chili and homemade slaw on a dog as well.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 11:01 AM (permalink)
                      The only steamed hot dog I ever liked was Lum's steamed in beer hot dog.

leethebard

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 11:34 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by John Sagi

Lee
                        If you want to try a place where you can make a slaw dog, You may want to try Broadway Bar and Grill in Point Pleasant, NJ. They are near the inlet across the street from the charter boats. They serve the hot dog with or without fries and they always have cole slaw. There slaw is creamy. This is as close as I've gotten to a slaw dog.

John

Thanks John, I'll try to get over there...meanwhile all this talk...I think I'll wip up some "Burnsville Footlongs for dinner!!!

Tony Bad

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 1:02 PM (permalink)
                          Another option is Crifdog in NYCity...

The top one is a "BLT", which is a Bacon Wrapped Dog with Lettuce, Tomato & Mayo, bottom is a "Spicy Redneck", which is a house dog, Bacon Wrapped, with Chili, Cole Slaw, and Jalapenos.

They'll also just do chili and slaw if you want.

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
                            RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 1:07 PM (permalink)
                            I don't like it because its different.

leethebard

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 1:12 PM (permalink)

KonaErnie

• Total Posts: 356
                                RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                I love a good slaw dog. You can't find any out here so I have to make them at home. I make the slaw with Maui onion dressing and add lots of red onions to the mix. 2 Nathan's doggies cooked on the grill with slaw & plenty of whole grain mustard and I'm good to go.

leethebard

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                  Does anyone make them with footlongs????

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                                    RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 1:26 PM (permalink)
                                    Lenny's sandwich shops have grilled footlongs. I would think slaw would be an accepted condiment.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Thu, 10/23/08 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                      I don't run into them very often.

I'd enjoy trying on at a place that calls it a specialty, where they have honed the specialty.

leethebard

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 1:49 AM (permalink)
                                        Then drive to the mountains of western North Carolina...go down mainstreet in Burnsville NC, to Li'l Smoky's and order two footlongs with the works...and prepare for a quick assent to heaven....the best....!!!!!

WVCitySlicker

• Total Posts: 90
                                          RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 2:01 AM (permalink)
                                          It's a sin not to have eaten a hot dog with slaw if you live in WV. - down right Un-American

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
                                            RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 6:14 AM (permalink)
                                            In Dothan , we love hot dogs . We love chili dogs , but slaw dogs are a very close second !

MiamiDon

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 7:38 AM (permalink)
                                              [id=quote font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by leethebard

Does anyone make them with footlongs????

Long Dogger's in Daytona Beach does. Scroll down to the hot dog menu.
                                              <message edited by MiamiDon on Mon, 03/1/10 7:11 AM>

Michael Hoffman

RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 9:10 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by WVCitySlicker

It's a sin not to have eaten a hot dog with slaw if you live in WV. - down right Un-American

I lived in Charleston. Hated the slaw dog.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                                  In Raleigh, I had a slaw dog at a stand named Snoopys.As I recall it was slaw, raw onions and mustard.Pretty good, and different from what we have here in Wisconsin, but it isnt anything I would seek out.Give me a good Chicago style dog anyday...

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                                    • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                    RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 11:01 AM (permalink)
                                                    A hot dog without slaw? Except for a Chicago style dog, such a thing is as abominable a notion as a Memphis BBQ without it!

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1792
                                                      RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                                      A slaw dog is about the only variation in which I just can't put on a little ketchup. The slaw demands the stage alone.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2016
                                                        RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                                        Dairy Queen use to serve the "Suicide Dog". It was a foot long with onions, relish, chill and slaw. Humm, those were good even though the wiener wasn't the best.

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
                                                          • Location: new york city, NY
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 11:29 AM (permalink)
                                                          My friend Barry turned me on to cole slaw on a bow wow way back when, I'd never heard of it before, always went with kraut or onions but I tried it and I've been a fan ever since.

wmceaton

• Total Posts: 313
                                                            • Location: Boston, MA
                                                            RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! Fri, 10/24/08 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                                            Love slaw dogs...especially with some Texas Pete's on top.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 179

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com