• Total Posts : 5066
2013/11/16 06:32:51 (permalink)

Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens

How do you cook 'em?

6 Replies Related Threads

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens 2013/11/16 08:01:38 (permalink)
    My specialty if I may be so bold....ALWAYS get fresh bunches and rinse thoroughly, although I rarely find any sand or dirt in mine from the grocery. I sometimes combine collards and turnips, but my favorite is just plain collards. Another thing, they really cook "down", so buy at least two bunches. I then saute one large chopped Vidalia in a little butter, a little hot sauce, and a ltttle sugar in a large stock pot and add two large SMOKED pork hocks. Then stuff all the greens into the pot and add about one cup chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cut to a low simmer (covered) for two hours stirring occasionally. Prior to serving pull out the hocks and remove as much meat as possible. Add back to greens. Serve with some pepper sauce and fresh hot cornbread to absorb the pot liquor. Great eating....I think I'll make a bunch of collards today.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8498
    Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens 2013/11/16 08:07:55 (permalink)
    Pretty much how my southern father in law makes them, Pancho. Yum!
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens 2013/11/16 08:11:16 (permalink)
    ann peeples

Pretty much how my southern father in law makes them, Pancho. Yum!
    Yeah, I've lived all over the South and a wonderful woman in Greenville, Mississippi made them this way. Also, collards are supposedly better after they have been nipped by the first frost.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens 2013/11/16 15:57:38 (permalink)
    Fry some onion, add to the pot with the collards and a few smoked ham hocks, and a little sugar. A staple recipe in Georgia!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens 2013/11/16 17:04:59 (permalink)
    Pancho

My specialty if I may be so bold....ALWAYS get fresh bunches and rinse thoroughly, although I rarely find any sand or dirt in mine from the grocery. I sometimes combine collards and turnips, but my favorite is just plain collards. Another thing, they really cook "down", so buy at least two bunches. I then saute one large chopped Vidalia in a little butter, a little hot sauce, and a ltttle sugar in a large stock pot and add two large SMOKED pork hocks. Then stuff all the greens into the pot and add about one cup chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cut to a low simmer (covered) for two hours stirring occasionally. Prior to serving pull out the hocks and remove as much meat as possible. Add back to greens. Serve with some pepper sauce and fresh hot cornbread to absorb the pot liquor. Great eating....I think I'll make a bunch of collards today.

This is pretty much how I make my cornbread, except I use buttermilk instead of milk and bacon grease instead of oil.  I also use two eggs and add a stick of melted butter to the batter.
    http://www.deltablues.net/cbread.html
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens 2013/11/16 18:00:17 (permalink)
    Adjudicator

Pancho

This is pretty much how I make my cornbread, except I use buttermilk instead of milk and bacon grease instead of oil.  I also use two eggs and add a stick of melted butter to the batter.
    http://www.deltablues.net/cbread.html
    Same here except I use lard instead of bacon drippings and cut back on the milk a scosh, add one small can of creamed corn, and a squirt of honey. Makes it very moist and better flavor.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1