Columbia, Maryland

Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2011/04/27 12:14:54 (permalink)

Columbia, Maryland

Pity me for while I am the transport of four teenagers to a concert this weekend,
said event is in the Panera-esque planned community of Columbia, Maryland (not that
there's anything wrong with that). Any RoadFood-worthy places in said vicinity?

Greymo? signman? Bueller?

11 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/04/27 13:12:33 (permalink)
    Columbia, chain city, that said, Clyde's of Columbia is pretty decent, mini chain based around the DC area, fairly upscale but not ridiculous. Good luck, when first developed, Columbia was fantastic, over the years it's taken on more of an International flavor!
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/04/27 14:55:58 (permalink)
    Kloby's BBQ isn't too far from (I'm presuming) Merriwether Post Pavillion.

http://klobysbbq.com/

G & M  and Timbuktu for crabcakes are a bit further but probably do-able.

http://www.gandmrestaurant.com/

http://timbukturestaurant.com/

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/04/27 16:10:20 (permalink)
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Columbia the land of chains and chain loving people! My first suggestion would be to pack a picnic.

However , a blcok away from the pavillion, on the lake and next door to Clyde's, there is another "Clyde's place"  called The Tomato Palace. They serve some outstanding pastas and good pizza. They normally offer good service. and the teen agers would enjoy sitting outdoors by the water if the weather is right. If you decided to go there, I would suggest that you find a good parking spot for your car at concert site and then walk on over to the restaurant.............it is about a five minute walk.
    Another place that we like but it would be 7 miles away from the pavillion is
    [<font]http://www.coalfireonline.com/index.php Best pizza in our area.........not cheap but good. Do not order the sweet and spicy sauce if you do go there.................it is like eating red sugar!  It would be about 8 miles from the pavillion.
    i95
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/04/27 20:12:55 (permalink)
    Good suggestions for making lemonade out of the lemon that is, yes, Merriwether Post Pavillion. That said, I'm actually dropping-off said teen concert-goers so sought lunch options are for the transporting adults. (Translation: Screw the kids.) Will let you know where we land. Again, thanks!
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/04/28 12:11:30 (permalink)
    Come on up US 29 to US 40 and try one of the many Korean comfort-food restaurants in Ellicott City.  My faves are Kimco Seafood (bento, bibimbop [beef, rice & vegetable hot pot] & sushi), Lighthouse Tofu for soondooboo (tofu stew) & pajeon (savory korean pancake) and Han Sung for tempura and hwaedupbop (sashimi rice salad).  Many more to choose from: 
      http://howchow.blogspot.com/search/label/Cuisine%20-%20Korean
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2011/04/28 13:46:08
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/04/28 13:53:16 (permalink)
    A long as you are going out to lunch  after dropping offf the kids,  I have a wonderful suggestion for a real Roadfood adventure with  wonderful food.  You will have to sit outside to eat but you will have the best pit beef that you have ever tasted.  I am thinking of  Pioneer Pit Beef  at the corner of No. Rolling Road and Johhnycake Lane in Catonsville.............no more than 10 miles away.

You take  29 north and then get on  Route 40  (National Naltimore Turnpike)  You will then drive  4 1/2 miles until you get to  Rolling Hill Road and you will turn  left  (A Double T Diner is right on the corner.)  About  two miles down  Rolling Road, you will see the  1-70 overpass and just before that, to your left is Johnnycake Lane.  Pioneer Pit Beef is right there on corner on hill behind a bar (I believe)  You cannot miss it as the name of the place is in bright letters painted on the roof.

I forgot to add that it is cash only! 

You will love it!  They also make their own fries and when you order your meat,  they slice you off a sample.  The tiger sauce  (a creamy horeeradish sauce)  is great!
    post edited by Greymo - 2011/04/28 13:56:57
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/04/28 14:24:41 (permalink)
    Pioneer Pit Beef is the bomb-diggity of all pit beef stands in Baltimore but it will (sadly) be closed if they are going to the Sweetlife Festival concert at MPP on Sunday.   The Canopy pit beef joint on US 40 West in Ellicott City would be open, but it is just OK, not great, IMHO.  Oakey's Pit Beef on Frederick Road at St. John's Lane is pretty good, but not a good as Pioneer.  Oakey's is next to a Rita's, though, so that is a plus.
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2011/04/28 14:41:56
    i95
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/05/09 09:49:56 (permalink)
    BTW and to close-out this thread on a downer note, Mrs. i95 took said teens to Merriweather Post Pavilion at noon last weekend while I drew the short straw of picking them up at 11:00 pm later that day. Translation: Zippy road food options exercised in Columbia that late on a Sunday evening.

I will, however, use these recs for future Maryland travels especially Greymo's suggestion of Pioneer Pit Beef (which would've been perfect had I had the noon leg of the trip last weekend). Thanks!
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/05/10 19:12:06 (permalink)
    i95

BTW and to close-out this thread on a downer note, Mrs. i95 took said teens to Merriweather Post Pavilion at noon last weekend while I drew the short straw of picking them up at 11:00 pm later that day. Translation: Zippy road food options exercised in Columbia that late on a Sunday evening.

I will, however, use these recs for future Maryland travels especially Greymo's suggestion of Pioneer Pit Beef (which would've been perfect had I had the noon leg of the trip last weekend). Thanks!

Concur.  But I will drive AROUND Columbia if I have to.  I really dislike that place for a bunch of reasons.  I think mostly it is the burms that make it seem like parts of columbia are about to wage war on other parts. 
    schulerconsult
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/06/23 17:07:18 (permalink)
    Granted it's a chain but there is a Fatburger and there aren't many of them on the East Coast.  I agree about G&M and Timbuktu (same owners).  Timbuktu is between Columbia and BWI.  They're gone now, but ask the old timers if they remember Henkel's and watch them tear up.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4200
    Re:Columbia, Maryland 2011/06/23 17:15:59 (permalink)
    Not many good places in Columbia except a place you know for really good crabcakes:  http://timbukturestaurant.com/
    On the other hand, do you need a massage?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1