The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Columbia's Steakhouse Diego Salad

Jellyfish Fields

• Total Posts: 1
Columbia's Steakhouse Diego Salad Sun, 07/10/05 9:26 AM (permalink)
Does anyone know the recipe for Columbia's Steakhouse (located in Lexington, KY) Diego Salad? I can guess the major ingredients (finely chopped lettuce, tomatoes, celery, onions, and radishes), but do not know the spice or spices that are added. This salad is very good! Thanks!

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
    RE: Columbia's Steakhouse Diego Salad Mon, 07/11/05 2:18 AM (permalink)
    I stopped at one of the Columbia Steakhouse stores tonight (there are three) and talked with a manager about the Diego Salad. She didn't mind sharing what she knew with me.

Here's the recipe she recited:

chopped lettuce
    chopped tomatoes
    celery
    onions
    radishes
    "special seasoning salt"

The takeout menu lists the same ingredients.

The lettuce is chopped iceberg and the manager says there's not much onion in the salad (On the way over I was wondering if the Diego contained any onion). When I think of the Diego - which I've enjoyed many times - I think of all that chopped celery. The fresh celery flavor always seems to dominate. The manager says the "special seasoning salt" is not a commercial blend, but something they make up themselves.

Customers order their choice of dressings. I've nearly always ordered the house dressing, which is just oil and vinegar. It seems perfect for the ingredients and I associate it with the Diego.

I asked if there was a chance of obtaining the special seasoning salt recipe, and the manager smiled, nodding her head in a "I don't think so" manner.

Since I'm acquainted with one of the company's managers, I'll see if they can share the recipe or its ingredients and let you know what I learn. If you want to take a shot yourself, the number for the Limestone location is 859-253-3135. The main office/commisary number is 859-231-0008.

When I next visit Columbia's, I'll order the Diego with dressing on the side. That might allow me to identify some of the ingredients in the seasoning salt. We'll do our best to eventually answer your query.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 889
      RE: Columbia's Steakhouse Diego Salad Mon, 07/11/05 1:45 PM (permalink)
      Wow, a JimInKY sighting! Hi Jim!!!

jatman

• Total Posts: 1
        RE: Columbia's Steakhouse Diego Salad Thu, 05/4/06 12:01 PM (permalink)
        I worked there a LONG time ago but if I recall correctly the 'special seasoning salt' was celery salt.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
          RE: Columbia's Steakhouse Diego Salad Sat, 05/13/06 5:53 PM (permalink)
          I always thought the "special seasoning" was a combo of celery salt and ground black pepper. I love the Diego Salad!

Andrea

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com