Columbus Bakery in Syracuse to Add Deli, Start Serving Sandwiches

Author
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
2009/01/24 13:56:43 (permalink)

Columbus Bakery in Syracuse to Add Deli, Start Serving Sandwiches

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/2009/01/columbus_to_add_sandwich_fixin.html

This of course is mostly good news to me, as I work about four blocks away. Many Syracusans, current and displaced, know the quality of Columbus bread, rolls and pizza dough. I can't wait to see what they do with the deli.

I have been enjoying my sandwiches from the Italian Chef on Butternut St. since they recently switched back to using  DiLauro's bread (from that generic New York Bakery stuff). It will be great to compare the two. I promise to post an update for fellow Central New Yorkers.

6 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2442
    Re:Columbus Bakery in Syracuse to Add Deli, Start Serving Sandwiches 2009/01/24 14:40:35 (permalink)
    Sounds good, man.  I've got Columbus on my master list of CNY places to check out.  I should be back up again in April for 3-4 days.  
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:Columbus Bakery in Syracuse to Add Deli, Start Serving Sandwiches 2009/02/06 17:39:36 (permalink)
    I had a very nice Boars Head roast beef and provolone sandwich on Columbus bread Tuesday. I will return again in a few weeks...I think they still have to really establish their deli in their minds. They have coolers with drinks, sauces (for the pizza dough you get next door), and cheeses. They also have barrels of olives and big hunks of cheese for bulk sales

The sandwich counter was apparently devastated by the weekend opening traffic (which is good for them ) as their Italian cuts were all gone, salami, cappoccolo, etc..They also weren't carrying lettuce and tomato, I heard several customers ahead of me asking for it, and telling them to have it the next time.

They obviously had a lot of support at their opening, and lets face it, the combination of Boars Head products and fresh Columbus bread is hard to beat. I'll be back to see if they pick-up the effort a bit more...
    NAAMikey
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Columbus Bakery in Syracuse to Add Deli, Start Serving Sandwiches 2009/03/15 19:19:51 (permalink)
    I suppose this is good news....everytime I go up to visit relatives in Syracuse, my last stop is Columbus Bakery. I usually pick up 4 or 5 Loaves and always keep one in the car to eat on the ride home.
    MD
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Columbus Bakery in Syracuse to Add Deli, Start Serving Sandwiches 2009/03/16 13:05:23 (permalink)
    It sounds disappointing to me. Why choose Boar's Head? There are several local Italian (and German) meat markets in Syracuse. Why use a national brand? 
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Columbus Bakery in Syracuse to Add Deli, Start Serving Sandwiches 2009/03/16 13:59:59 (permalink)

I like Ferlo's in Rome better.
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Columbus Bakery in Syracuse to Add Deli, Start Serving Sandwiches 2009/03/16 14:08:00 (permalink)
    Btw, Did you see tha Doc's Little Gem's diner is closing. The smoking ban killed his business, most of his customers were smokers. Many a late night in Syracuse, we ended up there.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1