Columbus, Oh

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 12:57:52 (permalink)
joerogo

Hey TaraDoodleRoossyBug, Nice to hear from you.  Ten bucks if you get us a picture of Michael Hoffman!

ALas, I cannot divulge a portrait of the mysterious Mr. Hoffman...
roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 13:00:31 (permalink)
mayor al

Tara,
Nice to see you back on the boards. Keep track of the places you eat on the north side of Columbus, please. We'll be heading that way this fall to do some genealogy research in Delaware, Licking, Knox and Morrow county court houses. Probably will stay in Sunbury.

Hey Al, thanks for the kind words... I would be the worst one to ask about dining out.... as usual, I am working so much, but my schedule has changed as of this week, and will have time in the day again to check out places on my list, and on Mr .Hoffmans list as well......But it seems others here have some great ideas....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18874
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 13:03:49 (permalink)
roossy90

Michael Hoffman

Al, I have just returned from making a huge sacrifice just for you. It is exactly 11 miles up U.S. 23 from Delaware to the G&R Tavern in Waldo. The fried bologna sandwiches are still available.

And on my way to make this sacrifice for you I passed a restaurant I'd forgotten to mention just outside of Delaware on 36-37. It's the Corner Cafe and it is just before the split of 36 and 37 when coming from Sunbury. I've had good breakfasts there, and if memory serves, the meatloaf is very good, too.

You didnt have to go far for the fried Bologna sandwich, an ex coworker of mine now works at Oties, in Hilliard, which claim to have the best friend bologna sandwich.... Havent been there yet to find out for myself....maybe a trip is in order over to the west side...???

I've had the fried bologna sandwich at Otie's, as well as the one at the Red Door on West 5th in Columbus. They are both good. But the G&R Tavern's version is the best I've ever had -- most likely because they have their bologna custom made from their own recipe.
roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 13:03:51 (permalink)
Now, if someone can explain how to post a photo from my pictures on my computer?.. I used to be able to, but using the photo button asks me for a link.... I know I have been gone a long time, but still blonde here, yanno

(and this is what I get when I use the attach a file to this message button)-----> ""RadUpload Ajax callback error. Source url returned invalid content: ""--file not uploadable

roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 13:07:10 (permalink)
mr chips

Tara, it is great to hear from you again . You have been missed.

I just want to say thank you to EVERYONE that welcomed me back...... I missed everyone also..... I have had a rough couple years financially, and now seem to be back on track.....{{fingers crossed here}... OH and the lack of a computer didnt help either.... But now have a new laptop, internet service and finally a little bit of time.....

Gigi says hello also...

Attached Image(s)

roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 13:11:36 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

roossy90

Michael Hoffman

Al, I have just returned from making a huge sacrifice just for you. It is exactly 11 miles up U.S. 23 from Delaware to the G&R Tavern in Waldo. The fried bologna sandwiches are still available.

And on my way to make this sacrifice for you I passed a restaurant I'd forgotten to mention just outside of Delaware on 36-37. It's the Corner Cafe and it is just before the split of 36 and 37 when coming from Sunbury. I've had good breakfasts there, and if memory serves, the meatloaf is very good, too.

You didnt have to go far for the fried Bologna sandwich, an ex coworker of mine now works at Oties, in Hilliard, which claim to have the best friend bologna sandwich.... Havent been there yet to find out for myself....maybe a trip is in order over to the west side...???

I've had the fried bologna sandwich at Otie's, as well as the one at the Red Door on West 5th in Columbus. They are both good. But the G&R Tavern's version is the best I've ever had -- most likely because they have their bologna custom made from their own recipe.

Custom Bologna.. I guess that would make a BIG difference.....
TacoDrew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 15:29:14 (permalink)
roossy90
There are so many restaurants here and I have been working so much, I just cannot find time to get out... Its terrible!--But the one thing that I did notice here, is that pizza is served, not in pie slices, but the whole thing is cut into small squares, and I find that grates on my nerves..... I mean you can request pie cut's, but I just dont get it?... I actually have not found a pizza joint yet......But Taco Drew surely has a wonderful list of places that I have seen and wondered about, in fact, I  now work very close to El Michocana, and his post has spurred me to stop in there.....

The (more or less) Ohio way of cutting pizza is called 'tavern cut', and it's almost guaranteed to irritate almost anyone who isn't from around here. I suspect it's done that way because it's great for kids, but it bothers me that there are so many pieces without crust.

Might be worth knowing that there are a lot of La Michoacanas, but they're not all the same.  The first one, at 7370 Sawmill Rd, is in my humble opinion, by far the best.  The owners of that one started all of the rest of them, but sold them off.  The rest of them just aren't operating at the same level anymore.

post edited by TacoDrew - 2010/07/10 15:30:42
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4305
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 02:02:20 (permalink)
A lot of thin crust pizzas in Chicago (yes, we have 'em!) are cut in squares; they call it a "party cut".  The idea being that by cutting it in squares the pizza goes further, and the smaller squares are easier to handle than a wedge when you're standing around at a party with a beer in one hand and a hunk of pizza in the other.

The "party cut" is is one of the reasons I don't care for thin crust pizza in my hometown.

Buddy
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 10:02:04 (permalink)
Not only is the 'Party-Cut' one of the Major annoyances of the Pizza World... but at least one 'major' chain of Pizza shops shapes it's pizza's in a SQUARE to facilitate maximum cutting ease into those 'party-cut' pieces.  I won't name the chain for fear of bringing the wrath of pie-slicers everywhere .
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4305
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 14:03:26 (permalink)
A major local chain in Detroit, Buddy's (no relation), serves up a square pizza.  It's better than the average chain pizza, but doesn't even approach the quality of those made by most small, independent operators.

Buddy (not the Detroit pizza chain)
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 14:10:00 (permalink)
I know I've seen pictures here of pizza from some part of the country where they cut it up in what looks like a crazy, random zig-zag.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 15:00:48 (permalink)
The ohio way of cutting is almost as stupid as the Pizza they serve here. They do it over the entire state also. Ohio is the worst state for Pizza i have ever been in when it comes to pizza. Terrible ingredients and crust make almost every pie worthless. Columbus has 2 places worth eating. Dewey's and Bono to go. I went to Yellow Brick Pizza once which I have heard is excellent. I got there at 6:30 on a friday night and they were actually out of dough. Thats kind of like The Home Depot being out of 2 x 4s or McDonalds not having French Fries. I haven't been back yet....Russ
TacoDrew
Junior Burger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 16:34:42 (permalink)
I do like Yellow Brick's pizza.  They were taught how to make crust by Bill from Bono, and I think it shows.  I'd still pick Bono over them, but they're a solid option.

Odd that they didn't have crust when you were there.  I've been there maybe 3 times (GF goes somewhat more often than that), no such problems for either of us.

They're relatively new, I'd suggest giving them another chance.

roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 17:49:39 (permalink)
Wintem01

Hello Tara,

I can suggest some places over my way around Hilliard such as Johnnies, Starliner Diner, Otie's, Sparano's pizza, Spuds on Henderson Rd., Mel's Cafe, Olive Tree, etc. I have more if you are interested. Also, you have listed as occupation "the boss at times of a kitchen." Any particular one or is that referring to your home kitchen?

Haha, yeah, boss of my own kitchen, I just recently was kitchen manager of a local place here.. But have left them and am searching for another position at the moment.. But in the meantime, I am cooking at a local sports bar.....
roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 17:56:08 (permalink)
TacoDrew

I do like Yellow Brick's pizza.  They were taught how to make crust by Bill from Bono, and I think it shows.  I'd still pick Bono over them, but they're a solid option.

Odd that they didn't have crust when you were there.  I've been there maybe 3 times (GF goes somewhat more often than that), no such problems for either of us.

Not to get off the pizza subject, Chinese is anothercuisine, and  I cant find decent Hot and Sour soup.. I did find a little place near me, called Asian Kitchen-the owners look Vietnamese, actually, near easton, that has some pretty good hot and sour soup and the REAL type of chinese wings, not the stupid half wings like a regular wing joint would serve.....I have had some crappy food from about 4 places near me and am tired of wasting my money on stuff I take one bite of and throw away......
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 17:56:35 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

The ohio way of cutting is almost as stupid as the Pizza they serve here. They do it over the entire state also. Ohio is the worst state for Pizza i have ever been in when it comes to pizza. Terrible ingredients and crust make almost every pie worthless. Columbus has 2 places worth eating. Dewey's and Bono to go. I went to Yellow Brick Pizza once which I have heard is excellent. I got there at 6:30 on a friday night and they were actually out of dough. Thats kind of like The Home Depot being out of 2 x 4s or McDonalds not having French Fries. I haven't been back yet....Russ
I will have to agree with you on that although probably Alabama rivals Ohio in pizza ineptitude.

roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 17:57:46 (permalink)
mayor al

Not only is the 'Party-Cut' one of the Major annoyances of the Pizza World... but at least one 'major' chain of Pizza shops shapes it's pizza's in a SQUARE to facilitate maximum cutting ease into those 'party-cut' pieces.  I won't name the chain for fear of bringing the wrath of pie-slicers everywhere .

No doubt minimizing waste and maximizing  profit.. I just will not eat chain pizza.. Period.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 18:37:23 (permalink)
Eating chain pizza is like slow death.
TacoDrew
Junior Burger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 19:05:30 (permalink)
roossy90

TacoDrew

Not to get off the pizza subject, Chinese is anothercuisine, and  I cant find decent Hot and Sour soup.. I did find a little place near me, called Asian Kitchen-the owners look Vietnamese, actually, near easton, that has some pretty good hot and sour soup and the REAL type of chinese wings, not the stupid half wings like a regular wing joint would serve.....I have had some crappy food from about 4 places near me and am tired of wasting my money on stuff I take one bite of and throw away......

Never heard of Asian Kitchen - any chance you know the address?

For Chinese, I like Sunflower (Sawmill Rd., N of 270), Lee's Garden (Sawmill, N of 161), and Poong Mei (near corner of Reed & Henderson).  Can't say I've tried their hot & sour soup, though - not a big fan.

TacoDrew
Junior Burger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/11 19:09:59 (permalink)
Back to the pizza thing - anyone been to Clever Crow pizza (Short North, in the Circus bar)? They're going to be featured on 'No Reservations' tomorrow night.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1102
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 09:55:44 (permalink)
roossy90

I prefer the Hunan House on Dublin-Granville Rd (rt 161) for Chinese/Thai.  I have not tried their hot and sour soup but most things I have gotten there have been good.

I don't share the opinion of my obviously much higher class than me fellow residents that there is no good pizza here.  And I don't get the ire over the way it is cut.  if it is that big of a deal ask them not to cut it.  I like Rotolo's on 5th avenue,  Adriatico's deep dish near campus,  Rubino's in Bexley (they cut theirs in long strips instead of squares by the way) and Johnny's on Parsons.

There is also a really good take and bake option around - Mama Mimi's.  Everything I've had there is great and you can cut it any way you like.

post edited by hatteras04 - 2010/07/12 10:01:08
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 10:21:21 (permalink)
TacoDrew

roossy90

TacoDrew

Never heard of Asian Kitchen - any chance you know the address?

For Chinese, I like Sunflower (Sawmill Rd., N of 270), Lee's Garden (Sawmill, N of 161), and Poong Mei (near corner of Reed & Henderson).  Can't say I've tried their hot & sour soup, though - not a big fan.

TD, if you are up around the Sawmill/270 area, try out Thai Orchid. I believe the original chef went to their new location in Powell so it may be worth going up that way, too. Never eaten at the one in Powell yet. Had never had hot and sour soup at Thai Orchid but everything else was excellent. My wife LOVES hot and sour soup and frequently gets it from a little place near us on Trabue/Wilson Rd. called Twin Sunlight. Anyone know of anywhere else that has good hot and sour soup, preferrably not too far from Hilliard area?
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 10:28:11 (permalink)
hatteras04

roossy90

I prefer the Hunan House on Dublin-Granville Rd (rt 161) for Chinese/Thai.  I have not tried their hot and sour soup but most things I have gotten there have been good.

I don't share the opinion of my obviously much higher class than me fellow residents that there is no good pizza here.  And I don't get the ire over the way it is cut.  if it is that big of a deal ask them not to cut it.  I like Rotolo's on 5th avenue,  Adriatico's deep dish near campus,  Rubino's in Bexley (they cut theirs in long strips instead of squares by the way) and Johnny's on Parsons.

There is also a really good take and bake option around - Mama Mimi's.  Everything I've had there is great and you can cut it any way you like.

I love Mama Mimi's for take and bake. Very nice people and accomidating. I will try Rubino's in Bexley. There is also another very good Itallian place in Bexley called http://giuseppesritrovo.com/ which is excellent. Is Adriatico's an authentic Chicago Style? While I agree that most places will cut it anyway you want, the Pizza is still substandard. There is place on Lane ave called Tai's Asian Bistro in an old Taco Bell that is very good and fresh made. I get the Mushroom Beef Special. http://www.taisasianbistro.com/...Russ
hatteras04
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 11:40:37 (permalink)
Russ Jackson 

I love Mama Mimi's for take and bake. Very nice people and accomidating. I will try Rubino's in Bexley. There is also another very good Itallian place in Bexley called http://giuseppesritrovo.com/ which is excellent. Is Adriatico's an authentic Chicago Style? While I agree that most places will cut it anyway you want, the Pizza is still substandard. There is place on Lane ave called Tai's Asian Bistro in an old Taco Bell that is very good and fresh made. I get the Mushroom Beef Special. http://www.taisasianbistro.com/...Russ

No Adriatico's is not Chicago Style deep dish.  They call themselves New York style which I assume they are basing that on the Sicilian style you can find in New York.   I'm not sure I haven't had that in New York and their thin crust is not New York style at all but I never get that anyways.  You have to order a large or buckeye size to get the rectangular deep dish and that is what is good.  The crust is very garlicky which I like.

By the way, the place in the old Taco Bell on Lane is the Pho Noodle House.  Tai's is across the street in a strip mall.  Both are good but I prefer Phos as it is a little cheaper and they have some different dishes.

roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 12:54:34 (permalink)
Taco Drew, to avoid long posts, I am commenting directly w/o the OP.... Asian Kitchen is on Stelzer, just south of Easton, corner of McCutcheon and Stelzer, newer strip mall, and Giant Eagle is there, and a Sonic in the outparcel.
They also did a custom dinner for me my first time there, as I was craving pineapple chicken and he said "no problem", and made it.. It looked like Moo Goo Gai Pan with pineapple, but it worked for me... 

I have driven past the above mentioned Thai Orchid for the last 7  months, 5 days a week.. Too bad  it was mentioned today.. Since I no longer work in that area.....

And yes, welcome to roadfood, and we dont bite that hard...... I have been abused ( j/k)  for almost 5 years now and still come back for more... ""wink wink""....I just have been out of touch for quite some time.. 
marence
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 13:05:16 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Eating chain pizza is like slow death.

We were out driving over the weekend of the 4th, and somewhere (Elyria? Toledo? we can't remember) all the Marco's Pizza chains had signs saying they were rated the #1 pizza in town. That's really sad.

TacoDrew
Junior Burger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 13:39:53 (permalink)
Thanks for that, roossy.

...changing topics...

...I'm a little surprised that the Columbus locals here aren't more interested in the pizza place (Clever Crow) that is being featured on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations episode tonight!

There's even a nice video preview of it out there on the interwebz, I'd post it if I could.

I've been to Clever Crow twice, and they do some really interesting things.  Cornmeal in the crust (this has been very controversial among my friends...), and the cook makes his own sausage.  He does both traditional toppings (pep & sausage w/red sauce), and some far out stuff (corn & smoked gouda, ham grapes & brie).  

Love some of their pies, much less enthusiastic about others.  Would be curious to see if any others here have tried (or will try) them.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18874
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 13:50:04 (permalink)
roossy90

And yes, welcome to roadfood, and we dont bite that hard...... I have been abused ( j/k)  for almost 5 years now and still come back for more... ""wink wink""....I just have been out of touch for quite some time.. 

Abused? Of course you've been abused. Anone who makes purple runza deserves abuse.

hatteras04
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 14:02:21 (permalink)
TacoDrew

...I'm a little surprised that the Columbus locals here aren't more interested in the pizza place (Clever Crow) that is being featured on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations episode tonight!

There's even a nice video preview of it out there on the interwebz, I'd post it if I could.

I've been to Clever Crow twice, and they do some really interesting things.  Cornmeal in the crust (this has been very controversial among my friends...), and the cook makes his own sausage.  He does both traditional toppings (pep & sausage w/red sauce), and some far out stuff (corn & smoked gouda, ham grapes & brie).  

Love some of their pies, much less enthusiastic about others.  Would be curious to see if any others here have tried (or will try) them.

Well I haven't been there yet but I am interested in trying it.  I think that fact that it is located inside a nightclub in the Short North has something to do with me not going there yet.  I generally don't hang out in nightclubs.  But I do go to the Short North for dinner sometimes and will likely try it in the futre.  I will defintiely watch the show tonight and check it out. 
TacoDrew
Junior Burger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/12 14:19:22 (permalink)
Totally understand, hatteras04, about the nightclub thing.  It's not too bad (before, say, 9:00pm the nightclub crowd isn't even there, it's almost empty), but isn't the greatest atmosphere.

I've eaten in once, and done takeout once.  Because the pizzas are so freakin' thick, they take like 45 min from when you order.  That's why I do takeout now.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1