Columbus, Oh

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1097
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/13 12:06:02 (permalink)
TacoDrew

Totally understand, hatteras04, about the nightclub thing.  It's not too bad (before, say, 9:00pm the nightclub crowd isn't even there, it's almost empty), but isn't the greatest atmosphere.

I've eaten in once, and done takeout once.  Because the pizzas are so freakin' thick, they take like 45 min from when you order.  That's why I do takeout now.

I watched the episode and I will definitely have to give it a try, though it was pretty apparent that Bourdain didn't as they never actually showed him there.  I was not crazy about the Columbus segment as the impression was that Columbus is a culinary wasteland of chains and strip malls and the only expert he could find to eat with was a chef from Cleveland.  Don't get me wrong we have a ton of chains and strip malls but there are plenty of good to great restaurants and interesting ethnic spots beyond the two they highlighted.
TacoDrew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/13 12:15:03 (permalink)
hatteras04 - Yes, that episode absolutely made me cringe.  Both Clever Crow and Kihachi (the Japanese place they never mentioned by name!!!) should be more or less happy with the exposure, but man... what a hatchet job on Columbus as a food town.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/17 14:35:23 (permalink)
TacoDrew

hatteras04 - Yes, that episode absolutely made me cringe.  Both Clever Crow and Kihachi (the Japanese place they never mentioned by name!!!) should be more or less happy with the exposure, but man... what a hatchet job on Columbus as a food town.

And, I love Bourdain.... ah well......... Hoping to get to a few of these places sooner or later.... I have to  be in the mood for pizza and I prefer a thin crust, so looks like the CC wont be an option for me, and will post others as I get to them..............time and money is a factor.......
Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/19 15:39:18 (permalink)
Don't forget about Eagles Pizza in New Albany and Benny's Pizza in Marysville. Eagles is very family friendly with great friendly service and Benny's has a great huge patio in the back with live music for the whole family as well.
Clear back to the beginning when hamburgers were mentioned in this tread....a great hamburger can be found at "Third and Hollywood" in Grandview. It's $13.00 but I assure you it's worth the money, sourced locally and the whole staff there is great.
hatteras04
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/19 16:49:38 (permalink)
Mrs.Crunch

Don't forget about Eagles Pizza in New Albany and Benny's Pizza in Marysville. Eagles is very family friendly with great friendly service and Benny's has a great huge patio in the back with live music for the whole family as well.
Clear back to the beginning when hamburgers were mentioned in this tread....a great hamburger can be found at "Third and Hollywood" in Grandview. It's $13.00 but I assure you it's worth the money, sourced locally and the whole staff there is great.

I was very impressed by Third and Hollywood.  I did not realize it was an offshoot off Northstar cafe when we went but I can totally see it.  I did get the burger which I would place as one of the tops in town.  My father got a really good steak and my wife got a very impressive meatloaf.  I think the meatloaf was even better than cap city.  We also got some skillet cheddar biscuits for an appetizer and the pimento cheese spread/guacamole appetizer.  My dad hasn't been able to eat pimento spread since my mom did blender demo's at Lazarus back in the 70s but even he couldn't stop eating it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18637
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/19 18:27:39 (permalink)
I found Eagles Pizza to be pedestrian at best. Bad crust, bad sauce -- and much to much of it -- and seemingly fake cheese. Additionally, the service was unfriendly. I went there twice, just in case my first visit had been on an off night. Granted, it's been several years since my last visit -- before Les Wexner bought New Albany.
Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/19 19:20:27 (permalink)

Hatteras04,
That's great to hear! I did see that Meatloaf on the menu and almost ordered it..... but the Cheddar hamburger won out  :) Have you tried the Pecan Sundae Dessert?? Enough for two people & totally fabulous!

Mr. Hoffman,
Yes, do please give Eagles Pizza another go around, it really is one of my favorites in town even though I don't go there often since it's not exactly close to my house.
post edited by Mrs.Crunch - 2010/07/19 19:27:31
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/19 20:24:20 (permalink)
I've heard good things about Dewey's pizza on 5th (maybe Grandview). Anyone been there?
post edited by Wintem01 - 2010/07/19 20:25:21
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18637
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/19 21:06:23 (permalink)
hatteras04

Mrs.Crunch

I was very impressed by Third and Hollywood.  I did not realize it was an offshoot off Northstar cafe when we went but I can totally see it.  I did get the burger which I would place as one of the tops in town.  My father got a really good steak and my wife got a very impressive meatloaf.  I think the meatloaf was even better than cap city.  We also got some skillet cheddar biscuits for an appetizer and the pimento cheese spread/guacamole appetizer.  My dad hasn't been able to eat pimento spread since my mom did blender demo's at Lazarus back in the 70s but even he couldn't stop eating it.

You do realize, of course, that the meatloaf at Cap City contains poison. That is, the meatloaf contains mushrooms, and those who are allergic to them, such as myself, cannot eat it. By the way, the same is true of the Wednesday-special liver and onions at Cap City. The vegetable demi-glace used to make the sauce contains carmelized mushrooms. At least with the meatloaf the menu mentions that there are mushrooms, although it does not say they are actually mixed in with the meat. There is no such word when it comes to the liver and onions.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/07/19 21:09:35
hatteras04
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/20 09:35:39 (permalink)
Mrs.Crunch

Hatteras04,
That's great to hear! I did see that Meatloaf on the menu and almost ordered it..... but the Cheddar hamburger won out  :) Have you tried the Pecan Sundae Dessert?? Enough for two people & totally fabulous!

No.  One of the main reasons we went is so we could valet park, eat dinner and then walk over to Jeni's without having to find a new parking spot.  Ok maybe it wasn't the main reason but it was at least one of the reasons we went there.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/20 09:46:18 (permalink)
Wintem01

I've heard good things about Dewey's pizza on 5th (maybe Grandview). Anyone been there?

I am going to be at Dewey's Pizza today - none better in Cincinnati - all their locations use identical recipes.

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/20 09:51:57 (permalink)
Wintem01

Super clean place. Excellent pizza. Cute College Girls as servers. Cold Beer with a good variety. Window to watch the Pizza Makers. Great Salads try the Candied Walnut and Grape. The Edgar Allen Poe is a good one to order if you like full roasted cloves of garlic. My wife loves it. I always get the pepperoni. You will not be dissappointed...Russ
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/30 15:27:37 (permalink)
Looks like we will do a 3-4 day exploration of the counties I mentioned earlier, adding some miles into the Amish country to the east of my birth-heritage land within the next couple of weeks (early August).
I will list the places from page one of this report, but will be skipping the Pizza and Weiner Shops (no Offense intended) as we really don't target them often.

So Add in any places to the NorthEast of Columbus that could be of interest...but not as far as Akron-Youngstown and the Metro Cleveland area. we will make a circle tour of the Delaware-Knox-Morrow-Licking county area plus the Amish area fairly near that (on the east side)

Looking for Cafes, Restaurants, Ice Cream, Specialty Markets and Stores, BBQ if any, and of course Bakeries and of course Farmer's Markets !

Thanks for the feedback so far...Hope we can gather some more tips shortly..
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/30 15:30:28 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

Wintem01

Super clean place. Excellent pizza. Cute College Girls as servers. Cold Beer with a good variety. Window to watch the Pizza Makers. Great Salads try the Candied Walnut and Grape. The Edgar Allen Poe is a good one to order if you like full roasted cloves of garlic. My wife loves it. I always get the pepperoni. You will not be dissappointed...Russ
I thought you were the Poe fan.....

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/30 22:02:46 (permalink)
OK the plan is set... Thursday  August 5th, up the Indiana side of the River and around Cincinnati with a stop at Jungle Jims in order. Then up to Delaware, Ohio for a couple of afternoon hours of research at the Genealogy Library run by the County Historical Society there.

Stay the night in Delaware/Sunbury. Friday morning do our Graveyard/headstone photos in Sunbury, Condit, and Centerburg. (and maybe a couple of nearby rural graveyards . Friday afternoon NorthEast from Centerburg, thru Mt Vernon to Amish Country..locations open to suggestions.

Friday night - somewhere east of the communities mentioned above.

Saturday-  scout out places named by you guys...especially food stops in the Amish tradition...Produce, Meats, Baked and preserved goods.   Yard sales and Farmers markets will be the priority for this day.

Hit the Interstate Saturday evening to return home late Saturday night.

Now I need valid suggestions to help fill Friday and Saturday with shopping, and eating pleasure in time to organize the itinerary for the coming weekend trip.
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/08/02 13:02:59 (permalink)
Not sure where in Columbus you'll be, but Easton (by the airport) is almost a city unto itself with lots of stores and dining options, although not your family owned variety. The North Market is a farmer's market that runs each saturday morning in the summer. I believe it's on Front Street near the Greek Orthodox chuch which can be seen from the highway (670?). If you come near by the west side at all I would meet you for lunch if you like.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/08/02 13:17:38 (permalink)
Thanks for the feedback and offer to meet. We will be zipping thru town to get to Delaware for the afternoon at the genealogy library Thursday (it is closed Fridays). Dinner and Motel in Delaware that night... Then a cemetery search and photo expedition Friday, from Delaware thru Sunbury, Condit,Centerburg to Mt Vernon. Friday afternoon down thru Utica (Velvet Ice Cream a mandatory stop) to Newark and Zanesville. Saturday will be a circle ride that will include Millerburg, Berlin, and as much of Holmes county as time will permit. We will hit the interstate at dark and do a straight shot home Saturday night.
Thanks for the meet-up offer. I hope you'll take a rain-check for this fall, when we will be back, but in the Columbus Sunbury area only !!
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/08/02 17:06:15 (permalink)
No problem. Maybe we will get to meet in the fall. NO BUCKEYE SATURDAYS THOUGH, unless you don't mind hitting some place with the game on. Sorry I am not too familiar with Delaware. Grandville Inn(near Newark) is a good place, but perhaps more expensive than the typical Roadfood stop. Beautiful small town in the hills, however. Have a good trip.
TacoDrew
Junior Burger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/08/09 23:01:46 (permalink)
Have any of the Columbus area Roadfooders done a meetup in town?  Didn't find anything using the search function, might be fun, no?

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/08/10 01:02:57 (permalink)
Taco Drew, Tara, and any other interested parties,

The eastern Ohio leg of the Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2010 has been set as follows:

Thursday and Friday, August 26th and 27th in Canton, and Saturday and Sunday, August 28th and 29th in Columbus.  We'll be trying to get out of town and on the road back to Chicago on Sunday, but we're ready to hang out with you locals on Saturday night.

As of right now, I'm planning to make a stop at The Gahanna Grill for burgers and then a run down the road to Graeter's for dessert.  Anyone who wishes to join the group is welcome to do so.  In fact, in spite of certain recent events, I'm hoping there will be a couple of pounds of bratwurst from Bucyrus waiting for us on Saturday night.

More info regarding specific stores where we'll be sampling as that itinerary firms up.

See you at the end of the month.

Buddy
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/08/12 19:37:07 (permalink)
I say let's do a Columbus get together. I am not a HUGE barbeque fan, meaning if given the choice, I would choose otherwise but still love good ribs. (if that makes any sense) Please post later if anything is decided upon and I will be a contributor.
TacoDrew
Junior Burger
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/09/01 17:43:09 (permalink)
Here's a fairly exhaustive trip report done by a Minnesotan visitor to Columbus:

http://heavytable.com/sho...self-in-columbus-ohio/

Loads of great stops, but I particularly like the newcomer Knead and also Foodie Cart.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6442
Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/09/02 22:00:16 (permalink)
ROOOOOOOOOOOSY!!!!
My long lost friend, between your disappearance and my disappearance what did these folks do??

It is good to see you back posting again

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1