Columbus, Oh

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
2010/06/29 16:22:29 (permalink)

Columbus, Oh

HI!.. Yes, its Me... Long lost but now found......

I have been living in the Columbus area for about 6 months now, discovering some great places to eat, with what little time I have to do so.

Today's restaurant of choice and by recommendation by long time poster and friend,  Mr. Michael Hoffman, is the Gahanna Grill, in where else, but Gahanna!

First off let me tell you the famous Beanie Burger has no beans, and no is not a veggie burger, as one may assume from the name. It is a messy, 4 napkin beast
of a burger....
Sloppy, messy, and really good.
I normally dont opt for a bunch of accoutremen'ts on my burger, but as they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do, so I just had to get it and "suffer"....I mean
YOU just cannot go to the Gahanna grill for the first time and order a hamburger.. You must order what they are known for...

Let's start off bottom to the top....10 oz burger, topped with American cheese, grilled onions, bacon, a fan of leaf lettuce, coleslaw and finished off with a huge slice of tomato-- and oh yeah, a huge roll...

Let me tell you, this is a two handed burger, and ladies, if your hands are small, you will have issues trying to hold it. Un-cut-able, so you must bite the bullet and jump right into it.. there is no dignified way to eat this monster!
My  mouth wouldn't even open big enough to bite the whole thing!---""like I said, there is nothing dignified about this burger, but the looks of it"
Good burger.....
I spotted a Philly steak on the menu and I will be going back to try that.. they also offer prime rib, steaks and a nice selection of menu items for everyone's palate.

I have a couple hot dog joints to check out, (everyone knows my love for beef dogs, Ya hear that Capt Morgan?)--I have to do a dog tour without you it seems.

I also have been to the Cap City diner, which has also been discussed here, and had the meatloaf which is not a normal item I would order out, but the Cap city Diner is not your basic diner.. It is upscale with some of the nicest presentation of food on a plate that I have ever seen.
The meatloaf was perfect, as was the gravy, which I had to get extra of, it was so delicious.. Has a tad of their homemade BBQ sauce in it, and I wish I had a photo to show you, but it was layered with the mashed (home made) potatoes on the bottom, with the meatloaf in the middle and onion straws on the top, ...
I will be back and promise I will take photos....

http://www.gahannagrill.com/Files/Full_Menu.pdf

http://www.capcityfinediner.com/cmr/files/content/Cap2-Lunch510.pdf

In the meantime, feast your eyes on the "World famous Beanie Burger"....
..well, maybe not.............
A little help here please.....
OK, who changed the way you add a photo?.. Have I been gone THAT long?... Hmmmmm

post edited by roossy90 - 2010/06/29 16:45:03

82 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18371
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/29 19:09:28 (permalink)
    Would I steer you wrong?

By the way, the liver and onions, a wednesday special at Cap City Diner is the second best plate of liver and onions I've ever had in my life.
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/29 19:16:44 (permalink)
    Great to hear from you again!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/29 19:27:29 (permalink)
    Hot Dogs? Try Dirty Frank's in downtown Columbus.

http://dirtyfrankscolumbus.com/
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15240
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/29 19:42:17 (permalink)
    Tara,
    Nice to see you back on the boards. Keep track of the places you eat on the north side of Columbus, please. We'll be heading that way this fall to do some genealogy research in Delaware, Licking, Knox and Morrow county court houses. Probably will stay in Sunbury.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 02:55:51 (permalink)
    Tara, it is great to hear from you again . You have been missed.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 12:18:00 (permalink)
    mayor al

Tara,
    Nice to see you back on the boards. Keep track of the places you eat on the north side of Columbus, please. We'll be heading that way this fall to do some genealogy research in Delaware, Licking, Knox and Morrow county court houses. Probably will stay in Sunbury.

Al, you already know about the Sunbury Grill, and I think about the Cooker at the Flying J. Here are a few that might interest you:

Southside Diner, just across the river about three quarters of a mile south of the square in Mount Vernon, is pretty darned good. And Fiesta Mexicana offers decent Mexican food. In Delaware be sure to get to Bun's, and I always like the Hamburger Inn there.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 13:31:40 (permalink)
    Thanks  Michael, Will let you know when the trip plan is set.
    Wintem01
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 13:51:10 (permalink)
    Hello Tara,

I can suggest some places over my way around Hilliard such as Johnnies, Starliner Diner, Otie's, Sparano's pizza, Spuds on Henderson Rd., Mel's Cafe, Olive Tree, etc. I have more if you are interested. Also, you have listed as occupation "the boss at times of a kitchen." Any particular one or is that referring to your home kitchen?
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1087
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 15:43:44 (permalink)
    This is a fairly new and really good blog about off the beaten path and ethnic restuarants in Columbus if that interests you.  She has another blog devoted entirely to taco trucks as well.

http://alteatscolumbus.com/
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 16:45:13 (permalink)

I knew it, I just knew it----Florida is not the same. 

We'all miss Y'all --------best of everything in Oh-High-Oh

And watch those huge portions, they create hugh waistlines.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 16:46:54 (permalink)
    mayor al

Thanks  Michael, Will let you know when the trip plan is set.

Al, I forgot to mention the Nutcracker Family Restaurant in Pataskala, in Licking County.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 20:31:23 (permalink)
    Tara, I was just thinking about you the other day; wondering where you'd been lately.  Now I know.  That's a big leap from the deep south to central Ohio.  Hope you managed the winter okay.

Oddly enough, we'll be visiting your new hometown in August, spreading the gospel of Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce to the locals.  We're counting on a meet and greet with mr. Hoffman at the Gahanna Grill while we're in town.  Maybe you'd care to join us as well.  The exact dates escape me at the moment, but I'll give you a fair heads up as the dates approach.

Welcome back kiddo.  Hope we'll see you in August!

Buddy
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 20:42:31 (permalink)
    Hey TaraDoodleRoossyBug, Nice to hear from you.  Ten bucks if you get us a picture of Michael Hoffman!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 21:20:37 (permalink)
    Photographs of Michael Hoffman explode, killing all those who want to see them.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/06/30 21:44:38 (permalink)
    Michael, I can assure you, any meeting we might have at the Gahanna Grill will be camera-free.

Buddy
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/01 13:14:00 (permalink)
    Al, I have just returned from making a huge sacrifice just for you. It is exactly 11 miles up U.S. 23 from Delaware to the G&R Tavern in Waldo. The fried bologna sandwiches are still available.

And on my way to make this sacrifice for you I passed a restaurant I'd forgotten to mention just outside of Delaware on 36-37. It's the Corner Cafe and it is just before the split of 36 and 37 when coming from Sunbury. I've had good breakfasts there, and if memory serves, the meatloaf is very good, too.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/01 13:15:02 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Michael, I can assure you, any meeting we might have at the Gahanna Grill will be camera-free.

Buddy

Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/01 13:56:58 (permalink)
    http://www.tensukemarket.com/ Great Sushi and the Noodle shop attached to it is excellent.
    bono to go pizza is a must. Here is my review http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=564640
    Great Mexican Food can be found at La Plaza Tapatia @ 4233 Shoppers Lane
    Columbus, OH 43228-2037
    (614) 276-0333
    Authentic and you might be the only non-mexican there. Very nice and excellent food. And if you like Mexican Backed Goods the Market attached has a great variety.
    Starliner Diner is a must.
    This old school Steak House is worth seeing and the decor is straight out of the day.
    http://www.thetopsteakhouse.com/
    ...Russ
    http://www.thethurmancafe.com/ has an excellent Burger
    Happy hour deals on Tapis @ http://www.burgundyroom.net/ If you like Mussel's this is a great deal before 8pm and several other Tapis Specials at 1/2 price.
    http://www.northmarket.com/meet-the-market 
    Dewey's Pizza is the best in town as far as a New York Style Pizza.
    If you haven't been to Crabills in Urbana get rolling.
    http://giuseppesritrovo.com/ in Bexley has great Itallian.

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4563
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/01 14:42:39 (permalink)
    we want more reports on that new-ish pizza place next to a dumpster in the back of a liquor store

help us out, Roossy.......
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/01 18:30:20 (permalink)
    Keep those reports on cafes etc coming in, MH and others. You can skip the pizza and weinie stops for us, as we don't often consider those when traveling.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4563
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/01 21:43:57 (permalink)
    ok, ok, I guess you can help Al out with his wild bizarre request as well :-)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/07 15:19:52 (permalink)
    mayor al

Keep those reports on cafes etc coming in, MH and others. You can skip the pizza and weinie stops for us, as we don't often consider those when traveling.

When you're in Licking County you might want to drive to Granville, which is a really pretty town and the home of Denison University. A couple of places to eat there are Aladdin Restaurant, a family run diner-type place, and Victoria's Parlor, which offers food as well as ice cream.

In Newark, itself, which is the Licking County seat, I've heard good things about Manna, a medium-end (as opposed to high-end) restaurant.

Still in Licking County, try Lancers in Hebron -- that's where National Trail Raceway is located. And in Kirkersville, just east of Hebron on U.S. 40, is the Village tavern. It's a real tavern, but they have good burgers. And the stuffed cabbage when they have it on special -- they did yesterday and I loved it -- is really good. So's the meatloaf.

It's too bad that Clark's Dining Room in Jacksontown shut down, because everyone loved their fried chicken. Everyone but me, of course. I can't stand fried chicken.
    TacoDrew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/08 13:51:08 (permalink)

Hi, all.  Long time Columbusite, first time poster here.

TJ Jackson

we want more reports on that new-ish pizza place next to a dumpster in the back of a liquor store

You're talking about Bono Pizza, right?  I absolutely love the place.  

First, though, let's get all of the reasons someone might not love the place out of the way.  1) it's cramped! It might seat 12 people, but tight tight tight.  Ambience is charming, in a quirky sort of way, but it's definitely not equal to the quality of their pizza. 2) Beverages are generally limited to what the adjacent convenience store sells.

The upside: exceptional wood-fire oven pizzas using terrific quality ingredients for crusts and toppings.  Their menu is fairly extensive - I think I recall around 18 different pizzas - and it seems like it'd have something for most anyone's tastes.

My favorite pie is the Napoli, but a big part of that is my addiction to anchovies.  The carbonara - topped with ham, bacon, carmelized onions, asiago and mozzarella cheese - is another favorite.  It's almost too rich to eat the whole pizza (all pizzas are on the large side of personal size) but awesome nonetheless.

After talking with the owner, Bill, I came to find out that he lived in Italy for years before opening Bono.  It shows in his product. Also, in talking with him, I came to realize that he's a hilarious and somewhat subversive dude.  Lots of fun if you're up for that vibe.

It's been a month or so since I've been there... think I'll pop in tonight.

Russ Jackson
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/08 13:58:55 (permalink)
    TacoDrew

Hi, all.  Long time Columbusite, first time poster here.

TJ Jackson

You're talking about Bono Pizza, right?  I absolutely love the place.  

First, though, let's get all of the reasons someone might not love the place out of the way.  1) it's cramped! It might seat 12 people, but tight tight tight.  Ambience is charming, in a quirky sort of way, but it's definitely not equal to the quality of their pizza. 2) Beverages are generally limited to what the adjacent convenience store sells.

The upside: exceptional wood-fire oven pizzas using terrific quality ingredients for crusts and toppings.  Their menu is fairly extensive - I think I recall around 18 different pizzas - and it seems like it'd have something for most anyone's tastes.

My favorite pie is the Napoli, but a big part of that is my addiction to anchovies.  The carbonara - topped with ham, bacon, carmelized onions, asiago and mozzarella cheese - is another favorite.  It's almost too rich to eat the whole pizza (all pizzas are on the large side of personal size) but awesome nonetheless.

After talking with the owner, Bill, I came to find out that he lived in Italy for years before opening Bono.  It shows in his product. Also, in talking with him, I came to realize that he's a hilarious and somewhat subversive dude.  Lots of fun if you're up for that vibe.

It's been a month or so since I've been there... think I'll pop in tonight.

TacoDrew,
    Welcome to the site. Do you have other favorites in Columbus? If you like bono to go I am sure you have others.
    Here is my review to the place.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=564640

...Russ
    TacoDrew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/08 15:01:42 (permalink)
    Russ - 

Thanks for the warm welcome. You captured Bono perfectly in your review!

As to my Columbus favorites... the only difficulty is in narrowing it down!  I'll just list a few spots for starters, and my favorite dish at each place. I'm a big fan of international cuisines:

Inexpensive Bites ($10 or less):

Mi Li Cafe (Vietnamese) - Banh Mi sandwich
    Jeddo Kebab (Persian) - Bahktiari (chicken kebab and ground beef skewer plate)
    Creole Kitchen (Creole) - Creole Fettuccine or Crawfish Etouffee
    Luc's Asian Market (Thai & Vietnamese) - Bun Thit Nuong (noodle bowl with pork) and fresh sugarcane juice
    La Michoacana #1 (Mexican) - Tortas (Mexican sandwiches) and their Carnitas (slow cooked pork) plate
    Restaurant Karla (Mexican) - Molcajete dish (for two - chicken, beef, chorizo, shrimp & cactus with beans, rice, & tortillas)
    Mecca Market (Pakastani) - Tandoori Quail
    Arirang (Korean) - Bi Bim Bap (hot rice bowl with eggs and various other toppings)
    Lalibela (Ethiopian) - Spicy Lamb
    Lee Garden (Chinese) - Dim Sum 
    Dominics (Jamaican) - Curry Goat 
    Bangkok (Thai) - Pad Gra Pow Moo (basil pork), and just about everything else, really  

Mid Range ($10-$25)

Nida's Thai on High - Yum Nuea (beef salad)
    Basi (Italian) - Zucchini app
    Bono Pizza (Italian) - Napoli or Carbonara pizza
    Restaurant Silla (Korean) - Kalbi (beef short ribs)

High End ($25 and up)

Alana's (unclassifiable!) - Menu changes daily. Chef worked with Emeril Lagasse, it's almost all good.
    Refectory (classic French) - Dover Sole
    Kihachi (Japanese) - Omakase (chef's choice, usually 10-12 courses) it's expensive, but it's an experience like none other

OK, so I listed more than just a few.  If anyone would like me to expand on any of 'em, just ask.

post edited by TacoDrew - 2010/07/08 15:11:26
    Russ Jackson
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/08 15:12:38 (permalink)
    TacoDrew I think you are going to fit in here. Great list. I have tried a few and will try...Russ
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 12:49:15 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Al, I have just returned from making a huge sacrifice just for you. It is exactly 11 miles up U.S. 23 from Delaware to the G&R Tavern in Waldo. The fried bologna sandwiches are still available.

And on my way to make this sacrifice for you I passed a restaurant I'd forgotten to mention just outside of Delaware on 36-37. It's the Corner Cafe and it is just before the split of 36 and 37 when coming from Sunbury. I've had good breakfasts there, and if memory serves, the meatloaf is very good, too.

You didnt have to go far for the fried Bologna sandwich, an ex coworker of mine now works at Oties, in Hilliard, which claim to have the best friend bologna sandwich.... Havent been there yet to find out for myself....maybe a trip is in order over to the west side...???
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 12:51:34 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Tara, I was just thinking about you the other day; wondering where you'd been lately.  Now I know.  That's a big leap from the deep south to central Ohio.  Hope you managed the winter okay.

Oddly enough, we'll be visiting your new hometown in August, spreading the gospel of Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce to the locals.  We're counting on a meet and greet with mr. Hoffman at the Gahanna Grill while we're in town.  Maybe you'd care to join us as well.  The exact dates escape me at the moment, but I'll give you a fair heads up as the dates approach.

Welcome back kiddo.  Hope we'll see you in August!

Buddy

Yeah Buddy!---- as it turns out, I am all out of your sauces....... Just let me know when the meet up is, and I surely will be there..... I cant wait!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    Re:Columbus, Oh 2010/07/10 12:55:00 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

There are so many restaurants here and I have been working so much, I just cannot find time to get out... Its terrible!--But the one thing that I did notice here, is that pizza is served, not in pie slices, but the whole thing is cut into small squares, and I find that grates on my nerves..... I mean you can request pie cut's, but I just dont get it?... I actually have not found a pizza joint yet......But Taco Drew surely has a wonderful list of places that I have seen and wondered about, in fact, I  now work very close to El Michocana, and his post has spurred me to stop in there.....
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1