Combination Sandwich

Author
Cornbread
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
2005/12/13 19:04:31 (permalink)

Combination Sandwich

A conversation with an old chef buddy of mine the other day arose a question I thought ya'll might be able to answer.

Several years ago he and I dinned at a little hole in the wall motel in West Virgina and they had a sandwich called a "Combination Sandwich" which was a club sandwich with a hard fried egg in between the three layers it also had some wonderful country ham on it instead of the old pressed deli ham.

Anyway I have never seen this sandwich on any menus anywhere else except for in West Virgina. Is this a regional based sandwich or have any of you ever had it anywhere else?

6 Replies Related Threads

Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Combination Sandwich 2005/12/20 11:09:52 (permalink)
    Cornbread. Sorry no info here on that Combination Sandwich but a question. Where does ham fit into a Club Sandwich?

I've always had, and the recipes I find describe, a Club as a double decker with turkey (chicken in the old days) on one level and a BLT on the other. Always on toast (white or wheat, flat-topped pullman loaf preferred) cut diagonally in quarters and held together with toothpicks or plastic spears.

Some variations substitute for the turkey (tuna salad, roast beef, hamburger are common).

So is your club using ham instead of bacon, or is it something else entirely? And is this Combination therefore turkey/chicken, fried egg instead of center slice of bread, and country ham or do I miss the point entirely?
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Combination Sandwich 2005/12/20 11:13:19 (permalink)
    Ashphalt, many diners here have a list of club sandwiches in the menu with diffrent meat choices. They are all as you described, the meat on one half and a BLT on the other, and turkey always seems to be at the top of the list, but ham and roast beef are also included.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Combination Sandwich 2005/12/20 11:26:09 (permalink)
    Damn, and I thought this thread was about the Jewish Deli Combination sandwiches. MMM Triple Decker combination with brisket, turkey and tongue with russian and coleslaw.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Combination Sandwich 2005/12/20 12:04:57 (permalink)
    Club sandwich's around here typically have the 3 slices of toast, the blt part along with both ham and turkey. Never realized there where so many variations out there...
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Combination Sandwich 2005/12/20 12:10:16 (permalink)
    I've seen that sandwich called a "Clubhouse."
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Combination Sandwich 2005/12/22 23:46:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Cornbread. Sorry no info here on that Combination Sandwich but a question. Where does ham fit into a Club Sandwich?

I've always had, and the recipes I find describe, a Club as a double decker with turkey (chicken in the old days) on one level and a BLT on the other. Always on toast (white or wheat, flat-topped pullman loaf preferred) cut diagonally in quarters and held together with toothpicks or plastic spears.

Some variations substitute for the turkey (tuna salad, roast beef, hamburger are common).

So is your club using ham instead of bacon, or is it something else entirely? And is this Combination therefore turkey/chicken, fried egg instead of center slice of bread, and country ham or do I miss the point entirely?

Most menu's that I see for a Club Sammich, offers a choice of Turkey, Ham or Roast Beef. I have even seen cheeseburger clubs. I just think the "club" refers to a triple decker of some sort, as long as there is a BLT on one side. The sky is the limit for the other side.
    As for me?.. I only order a Ham and Swiss Club.
    Tara
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1