Hot!Come to Cheese Days in Monroe!

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5168
RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2014/08/02 15:16:37 (permalink)
JRPfeff
The thread that never ends ...
When it's about Buddy coming to WI it's more like the threat that never ends.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4276
RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2014/08/03 02:24:01 (permalink)
Hide your wives and daughters...and your Barbecue too.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2014/09/19 11:47:27 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
We've set aside Sunday, September 21st as our day to visit, arriving around 1-1:30p.  Anyone care to join us?
Mrs. C and I have nothing going on and Monroe's not that far away, so we've decided to check things out.  If you're still making the trip give me a time and location and we'll meet you there.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4276
RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2014/09/19 15:29:58 (permalink)
The trip is definitely a go.  The time (big surprise) is in flux.  Best case scenario will be an early afternoon arrival.  The best thing might be to exchange cellphone numbers in a PM and stay in touch.

Meeting in front of Baumgartner's has worked well for us in the past.  Nothing like starting your day with a fresh Limburger and onion sandwich!

Buddy
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2726
RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2014/09/19 16:10:53 (permalink)
Mr. C,

You may want to prepare yourself for the Cheese Days experience before you arrive. I suggest filling your TV viewing room with bad smelling cheese and a pile of old dirty gym clothes.  Then fast forward through Animal House to the parade scene. Start watching at the point when Flounder dumps the marbles. You are now ready for Monroe Cheese Days.

jrp
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2014/09/19 16:22:41 (permalink)
After giving our newspaper full credit I included a link to an article they did last Sunday on Monroe Cheese Days. Evidently I broke some rule as the post is gone. They talked also about Tony the owner of Alp and Dell Cheese store on Hwy 69 being from Switzerland and that he yodeled. He broke out in a yodel on my recent visit there earlier this month.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2014/09/22 08:37:25 (permalink)
We really didn't eat all that much and I was surprised at the amount of cuisine de faire (corn dogs, funnel cakes, etc.) that was available, but Mrs. Chicken still did a little bit of cheese sampling.  My favorite item was probably the slow cooker filled with melted butter that was being used for a grilled cheese sandwich assembly line; if I'd only had a straw...

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology we didn't meet up with the Roadhouses (using the louse/mouse example, why wouldn't it be Roadhice?) until after we'd been there for a couple of hours but we managed to catch up with them for a little while.

The actual title of the event is "Green County Cheese Days" and it did seem like everyone in Green County was there, with an equal number of flatlanders based on an informal license plate count.  I figured there'd be a crowd but didn't expect it to be as large as it was; Buddy theorized that the parade (all 3+ hours of it) might've had something to do with it and that Saturday might be a little less packed.  And apparently this year Saturday came with some bonus entertainment, as I heard on the radio this morning that some 22-year-old idjit from Illinois got locked up Saturday night for punching a police officer who was investigating a disturbance at a bar (there's beer at Cheese Days...surprise, surprise).

Now that we know roughly what to expect I think our next visit (2016) will be more enjoyable.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2014/09/22 08:45:58
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2014/10/05 10:21:27 (permalink)
Some random observations.

Chocolate-covered cheesecake on a stick.  Not mine.

A grilled/griddled baby swiss-on-rye.  Definitely mine, and really good even after being wrapped in foil and sitting around for a bit.

Butterflied pork chop sandwiches were $5, ribeye sandwiches were $8.  I'm cheap.

Cheese on a stick is a great idea but I don't want any part of those gross sauces.

There's no doubt that Cheese Days doesn't happen without lots of hard work by lots of volunteers.  But who wouldn't volunteer when given the opportunity to eat enough cheese to turn one's colon into the gastrointestinal equivalent of the Holland Tunnel at rush hour?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1