Come to Cheese Days in Monroe!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Kirsby
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
2006/09/08 18:09:55 (permalink)

Come to Cheese Days in Monroe!

I thought I would take on the role of ambassador for my hometown of Monroe, Wisconsin and invite everyone to my favorite food festival, Cheese Days. It's being held next weekend Sept. 15-17. This fest is so big they only hold it every other year on even-numbered years. I've never missed one yet!

The event features a lot of local cheese and beer, ethnic (Swiss) entertainment such as yodeling, alphorns, and polka bands, plus a blues festival at the Huber Brewery, and a big parade on Sunday. Here's a link to their site with more details: www.cheesedays.com.

I will be working in the information trailer on the courthouse square from noon-3 on Saturday. If any of you fellow roadfooders decide to make the trip, stop by and say "hi"!

-Kris

83 Replies Related Threads

Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/08 18:16:43 (permalink)
    I got unduly excited. For a couple of seconds I thought that it may be planned for Monroe, NC. I love cheese but I'm a long way from Wisconsin. Too bad.
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/08 19:07:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scarlett

I got unduly excited. For a couple of seconds I thought that it may be planned for Monroe, NC. I love cheese but I'm a long way from Wisconsin. Too bad.

Likewise, for a brief moment, I thought that this might be an event held in Monroe, NY. Alas, this is a bit too far for me to venture right now. Enjoy the curds!
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1873
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/08 21:10:19 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

The Monroe NY Cheesefest is scheduled for tomorrow Sept 9th in Downtown Monroe from 10 am 6 pm

This may be the last one as merchants are complaining that they are not making any business that day . Can you figure that out ??

Benzee
    Kirsby
    Hamburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/09 00:29:09 (permalink)
    How interesting! I have read that some of the Swiss people in WI actually imigrated from the cheesemaking regions of NY, so I wonder if there is actually a tie here. NY boasted the largest cheese production of any state until WI took over the title in the early 1900's. Now CA is taking that title from WI, but we are still very proud of our cheese here. My high school mascot was the Cheesemakers (and I admit that!). Anyway, Cheese Days is a good time, and worth the trip. If you can't make it this year, there is always 2008!
    -Kris
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/09 03:25:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scarlett

At least, Kirsby got some attention for this post.
    I wish I lived near WI, but alas..
    South Carolina is a tad too far..
    Now, Kirsby needs to post some photos after going next weekend!
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/09 13:41:52 (permalink)
    I'll be there, Kirsby! My cousin went to the 2004 one on a whim, said she had a great time, so now me, my boyfriend and a couple of friends are going up, on Sunday. Sorry we'll miss the cheese factory tour- that's only on Friday and Saturday, right? I know there's the events, like the parade, what else is there to do? It sounds really great, but I've been burned before- Burlington, WI's "Chocolate Fest" (there's a Nestle plant there)- BIG disappointment- an excuse for a crappy carnival, no chocolate, not even mediocre nestle chocolate. I hope there's lots of cheese to eat!!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/09 14:17:42 (permalink)
    Should be there Sat.!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kirsby
    Hamburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/09 16:19:09 (permalink)
    Abe-

You will definitely get plenty of cheese to eat! The cheese curds they sell on the square are the cheddar type and a little too greasy for my taste. Some people swear by them though and there is usually a line down the block to get them. I like the ones the Lions Club sells better (they are the same ones we serve at our bar in New Glarus). They usually have a trailer set up either at the brewery or at the Suisse Haus, both of which are a block south of the square.

Saturday is definitely the better day to go, but there is still plenty to do on Sunday. It's not really worth watching all 2 hours of the parade. It's a small town parade, nothing spectacular. You definitely need to stop at Baumgartner's Cheese Store & Tavern on the square. Check out the murals, eat some cheese, have a Huber beer. During the parade might be a good time to do that to avoid the crowds. The other unique place to go is Turner Hall, two blocks south of the square. It's a historic building with lots of Swiss heritage. There's a bar and restaurant in the lower level.

If you get bored with the events on the square there are some other things to do in the area. The brewery tour is cool: http://www.huberbrewery.com/tour/. I'm pretty sure they have extended hours during Cheese Days. Also, there is a cheese factory on the north edge of Monroe called Roth Kase (or Alp & Dell) that does tours: http://www.rothkase.com/plant.html. Again, they will probably have extended hours for Cheese Days. Then there is the Historic Cheesemaking Center, right on Hwy 69 on the south side of town. Not sure how interesting that would be to you. Let me know if you have any more questions or need more info. I hope you have a great time!

-Kris
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/09 16:35:26 (permalink)
    Kris,

abe doesn't know it yet but her mother and I may be joining her on this mini trek (As a relative newby, you might not know that I'm abe's dad. Not only that, but abe is a woman! Go figure).

I have been to Baumgartner's several times and am looking forward to introducing it to the rest of the family. I am determined to make them believers in the Limburger with onion and brown mustard sandwich!

Also, I noted with great curiosity that you have a Turner Hall there in Monroe. My dad and I have been to the Turner Hall in Milwaukee many times. They have done a brilliant job of restoring it to past glory.

I know there were many Turner Hall locations throughout the state of Wisconsin, serving as athletic clubs for the local German youth. I am anxious to see your local, more rural Turner Hall to see how it differs from the more urban one near downtown Milwaukee.

Buddy
    Kirsby
    Hamburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/09 17:38:05 (permalink)
    Buddy-

I assumed Abe was a woman since she is coming with her boyfriend. I probably shouldn't assume ...

This is turning into a real Roadfood reunion! You may just run into me if you're at Turner Hall on Sunday afternoon. It is usually the last place I go with my family to enjoy one last drink before the weekend is over. Sunday is always so depressing, knowing that it will be two whole years until the next Cheese Days.

BTW, you should bring some of that bbq sauce along I've read so much about, just in case we do meet up.

-Kris
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 00:59:17 (permalink)
    May I suggest that anyone wishing to get information from the website, use this URL, as the one in Kirsby's first post above will not function due to the period at the end of it:

http://www.cheesedays.com
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 01:04:00 (permalink)
    From looking at the brochure, trust me, I'd rather be there Saturday, but I have to go to a baby shower :( Anyway, I doubt the parade will hold my interest for more than a few minutes, but I'm sure we'll find something else to do. I looked at the site for Roth Kase and it looks like their cheese store is open on Sundays, but it doesn't sound like they give tours on the weekends- maybe they make exceptions for the fest weekend though. I heard about the Cheese Days Song, and I can't wait!

Buddy, you're going to have to take a separate car, though!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 02:09:52 (permalink)
    Kirsby,

You are in luck! While I just might bring some sauce stashed in the trunk of my car, you can always purchase Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce at the Dick's Supermarket there in Monroe!

As for you abe, we will be happy to drive up in a separate car.

Buddy
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 08:08:02 (permalink)
    The Swiss Colony outlet store across from Brennan's near Hwy 69 is worth a visit. Last year they had one pound blocks of black wax encased sharp cheddar for $1. Because it had to be frozen so it wouldn't spoil, the excess production cheese no longer could be sliced as it would crumble instead. It was wonderful in omelets, grilled cheese sandwiches and cheese sauces, probably great for that beer cheese soup! We re-froze it and just ran out a few weeks ago so we're due for a return visit. We hope to go and it will be nice to see some familar Roadfood and Roadhouse folks again, not to mention some new meetings.
    Mike and Beth
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 08:54:52 (permalink)
    Gosh-I hope I run into all of you!!!
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 749
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 09:33:20 (permalink)
    I thought this was about Monroe NY! anyways....here is an article about the NY Cheese Festival:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060910/NEWS/609100345
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 10:43:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by abe_froeman

It sounds really great, but I've been burned before- Burlington, WI's "Chocolate Fest" (there's a Nestle plant there)- BIG disappointment- an excuse for a crappy carnival, no chocolate, not even mediocre nestle chocolate. I hope there's lots of cheese to eat!!

A chocolate festival with no chocolate? That's outrageous! Next thing you know, they'll be holding Country Ham festivals with no ham!
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 17:59:08 (permalink)
    It was ridiculous. Nothing but mass-produced corn dogs and funnel cake, and creepy carnies running the rides. No chocolate. Now Chocolate Fest in Long Grove, IL, that's a different story....http://www.longgroveonline.com/chocolate.html
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 18:40:43 (permalink)
    Kirsby, you mentioned before you have a place in New Glarus. I plan to be up that way in a week or so and hit Monroe, New Glarus, Mt. Horeb and Mineral Point. I love this area and it's beauriful rolling hills. We'd love to stop by.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 18:49:47 (permalink)
    I haven't been to New Glarus in awhile, but this is one of my favorite areas of Wisconsin- a few years ago, I went there with my mom- we stayed with relatives in Madison and did stuff there- the Capitol, Whaddya Know?, lots of shopping. Then we drove out to Mt. Horeb (the Mustard Museum, of course) and went to Cave in the Mounds. It was a really fun trip, especially in early October, when it's all autumn-y out.
    Kirsby
    Hamburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/10 22:33:38 (permalink)
    Our bar & grill in New Glarus is called Tofflers: www.tofflers.com. It is nothing fancy, just good food and a comfortable atmosphere. Most of our customers are locals. It's not the typical Swiss restaurant that this area is known for. Generally, the food is lighter and more American, which our customers like.

Abe-
    I just went to the Mustard Museum for the first time a few weeks ago. What a crazy place! I can't believe how much business they do there. Who would have thought?

-Kris
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/14 18:10:11 (permalink)
    Kris,
    Beth (Mrs.MFL) and I will try to stop in that information trailer and say hi; plus get directions to the family watering hole. See you then.
    Mike
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/14 20:02:28 (permalink)
    We were there on a drizzly weekday, so it was pretty dead, but I'd believe they get pretty busy- how else could a mustard museum stay in business? :)
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/17 12:42:15 (permalink)
    Kris, after stopping at the New Glarus Brewery, Bakery, and Ruef's next door, we made it to Monroe and found your information booth around 3:15. The woman I talked to did not know you or how you could be reached. We had a ball and I'm sorry we never ran into you, Abe, Buddy and Daddy Roadhouse. Next year. We did load up the cooler with a ton of great cheeses and did have some limburger. We spent quite a bit of time at the Huber brewery Berghoff Blues tent and we did have some of that great Lion's Club fried cheese curds.
    We found Toffler's easy enough on our way down and planned to grab a bite there around dinner time on our way back but somehow I stayed on 11 instead of 69 and realized that only when we found ourselves in Brodhead! We ended up having a fantastic Indonesian meal in Madison but that's another topic.
    Mike
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/17 13:57:38 (permalink)
    I am sorry I was unable to go-as my husband had to work-was really looking forward to it.But we will take a bike roadtrip there if the weather holds up.Sounds like a great town to visit even without a festval.Kris-will be in touch so we can meet up........glad to hear the milw.foodlovers had a good time!
    Kirsby
    Hamburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/18 21:56:50 (permalink)
    Hey Mike-

Sorry I missed you on Saturday. After 3 hours in that trailer I was ready to get out! Funny the lady there didn't know me though. Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time. Here's some pictures:

My view from inside the info trailer. The big white tent in the back is the cheese tent. The big building on the right is the courthouse:

The line for deep fried cheese curds. It actually got much longer than this at some times. The main stage is to the left of the tent, which is what the people in lawn chairs are watching:

Cheese Days isn't just about the cheese, it's also about the Swiss heritage of the cheesemakers in Green County. Here is Del Heins, a fixture at Cheese Days, doing what he does best:

Besides cheese, the Swiss are also known for their sausage. Here is a Swiss Shublig, with sauerkraut and potato salad, washed down with a Berghoff Oktoberfest:

Berghoff & Blues Festival runs in conjunction with Cheese Days. The building in this picture is the back side of the Huber brewery. To the left is the blues tent, to the right is the Lions Club food stand selling my favorite cheese curds, and in the middle are the tappers of Berghoff and Huber beer. Does life get any better than this?

Needless to say, I had a great time this weekend. Sorry I didn't meet up with any other Roadfooders. Maybe in 2008!

-Kris
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/18 23:18:43 (permalink)
    For some reason Buddy, in his advanced age, thought you were going to be at the information booth on Sunday, Kirsby. I was pretty sure you said Saturday, but I didn't want to burst his bubble. But we were there on Sunday, got some tiger cheese (a blend of colby jack and munster, two of my favorites), some really good authentic Swiss, some 10-year aged cheddar and this other stuff that comes pre-baked and you heat it up...I dodn't pick it out, but I'm guessing it's like saganaki without the flambe part.

We did make it to Turner Hall, though- we were disappointed to find out that they were serving a smaller menu, but we ate very well nonetheless and it's more reason to come up there when it's Cheese Days!
    DavidEMartin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2006/09/22 21:41:37 (permalink)
    Dang! It was last week!
    sigh.....
    Oh well, only 103 weeks until the next one.....
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6328
    RE: Come to Cheese Days in Monroe! 2007/08/01 13:54:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kirsby

Our bar & grill in New Glarus is called Tofflers: www.tofflers.com. It is nothing fancy, just good food and a comfortable atmosphere. Most of our customers are locals. It's not the typical Swiss restaurant that this area is known for. Generally, the food is lighter and more American, which our customers like.

Abe-
    I just went to the Mustard Museum for the first time a few weeks ago. What a crazy place! I can't believe how much business they do there. Who would have thought?

-Kris

Had I only known. We were in Toffler's Monday afternoon. There were no breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches on the menu but this Rueben with hush puppies and Wisconsin Brat with sweet potato fries washed down with Fat Squirrel were worthy substitutes.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1