Commissary Help

Author
Dogmatic1NYC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/07/05 11:41:21 (permalink)

Commissary Help

Hi All. Looking for some help in the world of NYC Commissaries-even the DOH wouldn't supply me with a list and my cart will be delivered to me in 14 days. Anyone have any NYC contacts that can help or know if I in fact need to even use one (as opposed to parking the cart in a lot or something...most of our prep for our gourmet concept is happening in a restaurant kitchen so I only need the commissary to store the cart...).

8 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Commissary Help 2006/07/06 07:08:08 (permalink)
    Forgive the uninformed but I was under the impression that the commisary was where the food is to be prepared, which seems to be covered here.
    Truckin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Commissary Help 2006/07/06 07:10:14 (permalink)
    It seems to me that you've got the restaurant, so what else do you need? In Pennsylvania, the function of my commissary is to fill and empty my water tanks, wash utensils in a three basin sink, and store supplies. I have a lot of storage on my truck, so I don't store things there. The water and the sink is what comes up over and over, when I work in different areas. Can't the restaurant satisy these requirements?
    Dogmatic1NYC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Commissary Help 2006/07/06 12:18:04 (permalink)
    Cart and supply storage are the primary issues, and it seems like in some places carts are required to have a commissary...but I may be wrong. I am very new to this, but considering the restaurant is open until 4am and the cart is not storing it there is not an option and Manhattan restauarants are tight on space to store their daily needs so having them store our beverages and paper goods really isn't an option.

Is anyone familiar with NYC rules (DOH has been pretty useless)? If I don't need to have a licensed commissary I would happily get a storeage unit for the supplies and a parking spot for the cart...
    beerbattersausage
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Commissary Help 2006/07/06 12:57:05 (permalink)
    My advice would have been to find all of the particulars out BEFORE ordering a cart???!!!
    Dogmatic1NYC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Commissary Help 2006/07/06 13:07:41 (permalink)
    I agree! I was brought on well after that was done to operate the company and now have to hash it all out! :)
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Commissary Help 2006/07/07 07:34:53 (permalink)
    go out and ask the compatition what they do...
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Commissary Help 2006/07/07 08:21:11 (permalink)
    there are tons of helpful sites on this matter, like this one:
    http://www.highbeam.com/library/docFree.asp?DOCID=1G1:21267635

i have spent the better part of the morning, reading various publications. i feel i should move to new york, now.
    just let your sarch engine do the work, sit down with a pot of java, and read. you will find everything you want to know. like there is a union of some sort, of venders in ny. mostly, neighborhood groups.
    and, the doh in ny is actually dohmh. dept of health and mental hygiene. i didnt know that one......
    from what i read, you are correct that storage is controlled. there are various places where many carts store together. you will have to probably chat with a vender close to your spot, and see if you can get in on their storage facility
    Dogmatic1NYC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Commissary Help 2006/07/10 17:24:58 (permalink)
    Alas I have decoded the rules and regs and believe that if you are storing the cart w/o any food you do not need a licensed facility. Since our group is working with a restaurant kitchen we may have to get them licensed as a non-retail processing establishment in addition to their existing license as a food service establishment, however we are now trying to decode if that is necessary since the food service establishment is the most in depth license assigned in NYC when it comes to food.

We have also found that in NYC commissaries are not the best places to store carts for a slew of reasons, including that they make you purchase sodas, etc. from them, but why pay $.50 for a can of soda you can only sell for $1 when you can easily procure your own soda for half that if you have a place for it to be delivered (in our case, the restaurant). They are also highly run by groups with religious affiliations that prevent you from serving certain foods if you use their facility and they may limit your business hours...we will be in a big nightlife area in Manhattan and using any of the existing places would have meant closing at 8pm when we should do brisk business from 9-10pm as people head to clubs and we sell just the variety of trendy gourmet food they will be in to.

Thanks for the insight everyone.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1