Concentrated Tomato Juice ?

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2012/02/25 03:11:16 (permalink)

Concentrated Tomato Juice ?

In old, vintage bar recipes for Bloody Marys, concentrated tomato juice is sometimes called for. I've seen this several times and searching on the net, several folks have posed the same question in other forums. Was this a product that was sold in years past? The concentrates still exist in bulk amounts for food processing, but nothing I've seen as an institutional or retail product. I have come across posting that suggest substituting tomato juices that are known to be thicker such as Sacremento brand or making a thick mix of tomato paste and water.

What was this product?

6 Replies Related Threads

RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 398
    Re:Concentrated Tomato Juice ? 2012/02/25 04:29:25 (permalink)
    Can't help with the product, but we make a veggy juice similar to V8 and use tomato paste for it.  Easier to maintain flavor consistency with the paste, when we used juice, it seemed the juices varied widely with respect to concentration, some were almost water and others were thicker.  By using paste we can control consistency quite easily, we still see some variation in sweetness.  If we were to do a BM mix I'd probably use paste for that also.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Concentrated Tomato Juice ? 2012/02/25 09:17:53 (permalink)
    Depending on the amount called for in a vintage recipe I would say that would mean one of two ways labels were written or read back in the day...

Tomato juice from concentrate and they just dropped the from in the description because back then it was often labeled in that manner.

Tomato paste aka concentrate aka the base for tomato juice from concentrate. There are still brands from Europe that use concentrate as the descriptor vs. "paste"

fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 793
    Re:Concentrated Tomato Juice ? 2012/02/25 10:02:06 (permalink)
    DawnT

In old, vintage bar recipes for Bloody Marys, concentrated tomato juice is sometimes called for. I've seen this several times and searching on the net, several folks have posed the same question in other forums. Was this a product that was sold in years past? The concentrates still exist in bulk amounts for food processing, but nothing I've seen as an institutional or retail product. I have come across posting that suggest substituting tomato juices that are known to be thicker such as Sacremento brand or making a thick mix of tomato paste and water.

What was this product?

Sacramento Brand. Love that stuff, just cannot find it around here.

post edited by fishtaco - 2012/02/25 11:49:46
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:Concentrated Tomato Juice ? 2012/02/25 11:11:19 (permalink)
    I think your old bar recipe is referring to using a concentrate to reconstitute tomato juice. Tomato puree or paste (maybe sauce too, if not seasoned) can do this.

What you have not indicated is if the old recipe calls for "in-the-glass" reconstitution; a measure of juice from a concentrate recipe; or an off the shelf re-constituted juice from concentrate (Campbell's).

Straight tomato juices varied greatly.  The only way to have a consistent quality juice is to concentrate it, then re-blend it to a standard.  Even concentrates by different manufactures has a different flavor changes due to their methods and will taste different when re-constituted.   ... so what brand & type (?) of concentrate was called for in the Bar recipe?

I think you will just have to use a juice that you like and works well in the recipe. Many old recipes relies on the Cook's knowledge of the 'times' and don't not give complete details of the recipe.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Concentrated Tomato Juice ? 2012/02/25 11:39:14 (permalink)
    It's a great topic!!

Then there are the old Pillsbury books that call for using "frosting mix" which was available in the 50s & 60s but discontinued in the early 70s.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:Concentrated Tomato Juice ? 2012/02/25 18:22:22 (permalink)
    exactly   ...   old recipes that calls for butter the size of an egg.   ...   huh, is that the size of small, medium or large egg ... assuming it refers to a chicken egg and not a quail egg.    .... hahaha  ... cook's knowledge
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/02/25 18:23:29
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1