Concession Trailer Build with intro

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/05/28 10:12:30 (permalink)
BelCibo

That looks fantastic!

Thank you very much!
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/05/28 10:16:35 (permalink)
Dgaviolac

where did you get the stuff that goes over the wires for the lights on the ceiling

Your asking about the conduit I used. It's called wiremold and I got it from Menards. I would imagine they sell it at Homedepot and Lowes as well. It's in the electrical section. Wire mold can also be used for 120 volt wiring as well. Gives it a better look than running 1/2 round metallic conduit on the surface of walls and ceilings in my opinion. You can also get the light switch boxes that match the wiremold conduit as well.
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/05/28 10:26:43 (permalink)

kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/05/28 10:27:44 (permalink)

Chef JR
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/06/17 15:40:04 (permalink)
Thanks for the nice details. I was wondering how you install the window and the door to cover it. How do you trim it to prevent leaking. I have been looking for alumimun extrusions to use but I have not found any.
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/06/19 08:29:04 (permalink)
Chef JR

Thanks for the nice details. I was wondering how you install the window and the door to cover it. How do you trim it to prevent leaking. I have been looking for alumimun extrusions to use but I have not found any.

The place I used for my aluminum extrusions was speedymetals.com and my sheeting was from a local sheet metal shop.
You will have to figure how thick your plywood/aluminum/frp 'sandwich' will be to determine the channel dimensions for your aluminum. I think I explained this process a littler earlier in the thread. I don't have time to go through it right now. Pretty busy right now.

the window was mounted with it's own flange with the flange on the inside of the trailer. The awning window was mounted with a piano hinge on the top with gas shocks mounted to the inside window jam and on the awning. This has worked very good so far and I have had 0 issues as of yet. I do around 14 events annually and have been in rain and wind as well and everything works good. As far as leaking, you'lll want to use high grade 100% silicone and use it liberally but neatly. Put it in the channel before you slide the channel over your 'sandwich' and also use it on all seams and edges where water could penetrate. If you have an unsteady hand and cant get good even caulk lines use masking tape where you want a nice cosmetic appearance.

daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/06/21 06:29:37 (permalink)
KOC: how do you measure for the gas shocks?I have the mounts for them on my awning but no shocks.do I measure with the awning up or closed?
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/06/21 08:44:30 (permalink)
daddywoofdawg

KOC: how do you measure for the gas shocks?I have the mounts for them on my awning but no shocks.do I measure with the awning up or closed?

Dawg,

Measure the distance with the awning open. First though figure how far you want the awning to open when measuring. I had mine open so that the awning was at a slight downward pitch(1/4" per foot would be pretty good) so rain doesn't flow back at my trailer and I am glad I did!! For me the diameter of the shock was vital cause I didn't have much clearance in between my awning and window when closed. R and P carriages (ebay store) has a wide selection. I got the 5300-60 (60 lbs of force) but those werent enough to keep my awning up firmly so I exchanged for the 5300-100 (100 lbs of force) and those have worked perfectly.  You may need stronger ones I don't know. They are cheap though and R and P exchanges items very quickly. I am going to order a spare soon because I already know that one of these days I'll be all set up for an event and out of no where one of them will fail and I'll have to prop up my awning with a broom stick or something and risk some one knocking it down causing injury. THey only take seconds to replace one once you install them.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1982
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/06/21 13:22:57 (permalink)
A pair of vice grips works well to keep a shock up until you get a replacement. Been there. Just pinch it tight at the base in the fully open position.
thesecurityeagle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/07/03 08:53:46 (permalink)
KingofCreams,

Your post was outstanding. I am considering building my own trailer for a shaved ice/drink/cotton candy service (no cooking). Your information was very helpful. I am obviously new to the board. I am actually a cybersecurity expert by day and sometimes night and am interested in an alternate income stream that has little to do with computer security. On that note, after running for a while, how is business. What are the items that you would or have done differntly now that you have been out there with the trailer for a while. Thanks so much.

Dan - thesecurityeagle
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro 2013/07/03 09:40:19 (permalink)
thesecurityeagle

KingofCreams,

Your post was outstanding. I am considering building my own trailer for a shaved ice/drink/cotton candy service (no cooking). Your information was very helpful. I am obviously new to the board. I am actually a cybersecurity expert by day and sometimes night and am interested in an alternate income stream that has little to do with computer security. On that note, after running for a while, how is business. What are the items that you would or have done differntly now that you have been out there with the trailer for a while. Thanks so much.

Dan - thesecurityeagle

Dan,
Thanks for the complement. To answer your questions. This year business is actually better than it has ever been. Our new website, logo and vehicle graphics were the best investment we have made. Obviously a fantastic product is key but a clean, fun and attractive look has excelled our business to what we hoped it would. As far as product, our staple product is ice cream obviously. Since having the trailer I have tried various different foods. Some went ok and some didn't. My main food products are (products I want to be known for) philly style cheesesteaks, burgers and deep fried pickles. We have had many many compliments on our pickles. I can tell you items that I have eliminated that I was all gung ho to do and actually got nice banners for: buffalo wings, deep fried potato chips and grilled cheese sandwiches ( i do grilled cheese at a couple events but not all the time.) The thing is is working on a 24" flat top doesn't give you much space to cook on and the wings are expensive so you have to charge so much and it just doesn't work. The potato chips would be much better suited for a brick and mortor with multiple fryers and bigger kitchen where vapor doesn't encompass your being. Lol. Plus do you know how hot it gets in mobile food trailers in the summer while running a fryer and keeping a griddle at 400 degrees?! Watch out now! ;) So after a years worth of trial and error, and donating lots of food to the local soup kitchen because storage space is an issue we have things pretty well tweaked now I think and things are going good.

Good luck on your endeavor
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1