Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
scubaguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
Flagged as Spam (1)
2011/02/21 11:27:14 (permalink)

Concession Trailer Dealers

Hello everyone!  I'm new to the forum area here but wanted to throw this out and see if anyone has had any dealings with a Concession Trailer Dealer in Augusta, Georgia (Chasony's Concession Trailer Sales).  After several months of researching (even made trips to Miami, Tampa and Mobile, AL) and talking with some less-than-motivated dealers I settled in with the particular dealer above.  Initially he seemed very willing to help me and I walked away feeling reasonably secure that I had found a reputable dealer that checked out with the BBB.  My deal wasn't the best (he came back with a cheaper offer online after I paid my deposit) but I still felt ok with them however I was never able to contact any previous customers.  (seems this is a protected thing in this industry....no one wants to provide a satisfied customer list or comment board)   Since I signed my purchase agreement and paid my deposit of 15k, all communication has become one-sided....meaning me to them rather than them to me.  I had hoped to get periodic updates on the progress but thus far nothing much more than an email reply back to me stating they'll get back with me.  This morning I decided to call the plant myself and was told that my order had been cancelled (Continental Cargo) and that I should check across the street (Cargo South).  After a momentary cardiac arrest / collapse, I called Cargo South and they wasn't sure they had my order either.  I immediately called the dealer and like one might expect, HE WAS OUT OF THE OFFICE at the moment but the secretary assured me that they would get back and let me know.  Trying not to think the worst here (they did check out with an A rating at BBB but have only been up and running since October of last year or so it seems) I was wondering if any subcribers on here have done business with them and if so do I have anything to worry about?  In my opinion these concession trailer dealers need to clean up their act if they're gonna take 50 percent of our money up front and then go silent for 8 weeks!  We, the operators and purchasers, get nothing up front except a piece of paper and a promise!  I hope my situation is nothing more than a lack of communication on this dealers part but as it stands right now neither manufacturing plant has my order (or so they're telling me) and I'm 2 weeks away from my expected delivery date with events booked shortly thereafter.  Thanks, Scubaguy in Georgia
One more question....should I be upset that he changed trailer manufacturers and didn't inform me? 
Thanks again!

42 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1991
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/21 11:59:23 (permalink)
    Keep hounding them until you are satisfied! They should make no changes until you are consulted.

When my trailer was built, I recieved weekly updates and photos of the progress. One week they were behind because of walk in repairs, they worked on it over the weekend to get back on schedule.
    I was notified when they ordered equipment and when it was installed. Sent photos of the equipment in their shop sitting next to my trailer.
     Trailer was delivered to my driveway about a week ahead of schedule from 1000 miles away.

Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/21 14:57:47 (permalink)
    Stuff like this is why I decided to build my own from a standard trailer. My dealer was jerking me around for 4 weeks and could not get the basic stripped layout correct. I just ordered another trailer myself and will pick it up within 2 weeks. Good thing I have lot's of tools.
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/21 18:13:24 (permalink)
    Thanks chefbuba & chicnscoop!!  After a long meeting today at the plant where my trailer order is actually at (Cargo South), I've now learned that it will be an additional 8 weeks before the trailer even rolls off the assembly line.  This came out of the plant manager's mouth but after raising hell with my dealer (who mysteriously came BACK into the office when I started telling his secretary how I felt about this whole mess) he informed me that I misunderstood the plant manager and it would only be 5 weeks until completion BEFORE kitchen install.  So the long and short of this is that my order was moved over to another trailer manufacturer without my knowledge and my delivery date has now been pushed back 5 additional weeks which brings the total time of using my deposit money to 15 weeks...again without my knowledge and not until I started digging on my own!!  At least I do know that he is there (it took me raising heck with his secretary before he would talk w/ me) and I did get an apology for not informing me about the changes in trailer manufacturer and delivery date!  This is so discouraging....what has happened to customer service in our world today?  I'm so very disappointed as I thought I had done my homework doing research on solid, reputable dealers!  This 50 percent-up-front crap favors the dealer totally more than us operators....and believe it or not, I really do understand why this is a standard because of the risk associated with the build of a custom trailer.  It's sad that we, as purchasers, bear all the risk when it comes to the dealer / manufacturer in the concession trailer world!  I'm sure there will be more as we go along here.......
    Scubaguy    
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/21 21:52:39 (permalink)
    Chasony's Concession Trailer Sales I thought was a very repital dealer too!but I guess there's crap in every operation .. as far as customer service it does seem that more and more places are losing site of this. i f in our bizz if we used customers that way we would be out of bizz soon. just the other day a customer came to me with his regular order and one for his wife which included kraut for his wives dog, he informed me that on his previous order I forgot the kraut for his wife, he was very understanding and was joking about it but I made sure I apologized over and over again and his wifes purchase was free this time around. he left fully satisfied and left a 3 dollar tip went he left.
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/21 22:05:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the insight Buck & Vi's!  I still want to believe that Chasony's is ok and will eventually come through for me in the end but the darn "strikes against" seem to be growing!  A good line of TWO way communication from the this dealer would have more than likely prevented all this anxiety or least helped me (the PAYING customer) understand what the issues were with the trailer build timeline.  I know this is gonna end up being a valuable lesson learned by me but what in the heck do we as concessionaires do when it comes time to purchase a rig and have to pony up half the money and then wait 8-10-20-to who knows when before completed delivery?  To your point about OUR customers, they are so precious and it's so easy for them to walk on down to next trailer if they don't like what they see, smell, taste or even hear at our trailer or tent!  I'm kicking myself for not investing my money in a Concession Trailer DEALER business.......man, based on what I'm seeing at present I could literally make a good living just by taking good care of my current trailer customers who will tell others who will then tell others and they will tell others who will tell even more and even more!!  Something good travels almost as fast something bad!  Thanks again......your comments may help me sleep a bit more tonight!  Scubaguy   
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 03:14:33 (permalink)
    I will put my two cents in about Cargo South. If your trailer people switched to them, you are in perfect hands. My trailer came from Cargo South Inc outta Ocilla Ga.  All you have to do is get in contact with someone from Cargo South,  I think her name is Michelle. She will help you out, find out who your rep is for that area, Give her your info.  As for the other company, once you get your trailer, i'd ream some serious ass. I'd be on the doorstep in the morning.
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 07:18:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Wild Dog and I agree with you about Cargo South based on how they handled my concerns yesterday both on the phone AND when I went up to the plant in person after we figured out that my order had actually been switched over to them.  Their facility is smaller than the other "brand" but from what I have learned thus far, their quality is pretty good.  They're committment to me yesterday was to keep me posted along the construction timeline which is what I had hoped my dealer would have done.  My frustration again is that now after 6 weeks of waiting on an 8 week construction timeline, we're back to zero and it will take them 5-8 weeks from this point to complete the trailer BEFORE my kitchen is installed!  So my deposit money is now being stretched from 8 weeks to 13 possibly 16 weeks and I will lose out on the events I've already booked after the 8 week build time.  The irony in all of this.....the manufacturer doesn't get paid until the trailer rolls off the assembly line and the dealer picks up for the kitchen install!  I'm beginning to wonder if the "other brand" might have increased their price and the dealer yanked the order in mid-stream (regardless of his time committment to me) to keep more money in his pocket.........I'm sure I'll see a price reduction on my final invoice for all this inconvenience!!
    Thanks again for the reaasurance on Cargo South!  Scubaguy
    JodyP
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 09:05:14 (permalink)
    We are happy that you got it resolved. We originally talked with them when we where looking for a trailer. Since we didn't want any cooking apparatus installed we found the Horton to be a good choice for us.
    moosefish
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 10:06:57 (permalink)
    i have a lot of time in the same stories you guys have had. call or write me and i i will give you my insight of the the last 16 months looking, buying and now trying to sell my concession trailer. you may not want my trailer but i "learned" a bunch driving 25k miles in 4 months looking at trailer builders, dealers and trailers last year and will be glad to share if anyone wants.

ps- what i have to sell is a 28' wells cargo fully loaded concession that i paid $67k for last april 1st. (used for 4 hours so far) and now need to sell for 33k to 48k depending how you want equipped. everything is on wheels and can be customized as you wish. have many pics and will deliver FREE anywhere!!!

thanks,

mark

Attached Image(s)

scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 14:36:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Jody P!  Been on the phone several times again this morning with Cargo South and they seem truly committed to getting my trailer out in 6 weeks from today which will put me over due by 5 weeks considering whatever time the dealer needs to install the kitchen equipmenty.  If nothing else, they (Cargo South) made me feel as if my business was important and they were truly sorry that this had ended up in such a confusing mess!  Just another interesting point to add, as of right now........no word at all from the dealer!!  I would be all over my customer literally begging to give me a chance to make this right and to not give up on me as a dealer!  Guess my version of customer service is different than theirs or either they have enough business that my little 29k trailer doesn't even matter!  Thanks again Jody!
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 14:38:49 (permalink)
    Hi moosefish!  I'm on lunch hour right now but would love to chat with you.  Perhaps I can call you later this afternoon or early evening!  Look forward to chatting if you're available!  Sincerely,
    Scubaguy
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 21:22:58 (permalink)
    I'm thinking that the only solution may be like some of the construction people do or get done... In some instances if they get a particular job done ahead of time they get a bonus but if they fall short and take to long and miss a dead line they are charged big time for that !
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 22:03:04 (permalink)
    I agree 100% and wouldn't even mind paying the "bonus" to a dealer who did their darndest to get my order to me on time and couldn't for reasons beyond their control.  The sad part is how in the heck do we charge them back when they come up short or when they don't even try to communicate or let us know what's up?  In reality they'll have our money AND our trailer....all we'll have is a piece of paper!  I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to but wouldn't it be neat if we could start up a forum....sort of like an Angie's List and let other prospective buyers see how well these perform!  Accountability and a competitive spirit are a few of the key ingredients in any successful business or industry......I think what's missing in my situation is accountability and zero competition in this dealer's region.  Has anyone ever considered posting their research, negotiating and overall service experience when making a trailer purchase online?  If I was a dealer I would certainly hustle my butt off to make top honors on this list and show all the prospective buyers here that you could count on me to deliver.  I had a similar experience with another dealer in Tampa earlier in January, prior to this one and it boiled down to a below average salesperson who failed to even send me a quote nor bother to call me back to see if I was satisfied with the quote that he never sent.  Of course I moved on (after I drove all the way down to Tampa, FL from my home in Georgia just to talk face to face with this guy.....it really ticked me off) but the bright spot in all this is that the owner of the company got wind of this "miss" and has literally been knocking on my door, calling and emailing; apologizing over and over and hoping that I will give his company another chance!  Because of this he has turned a bad situation for me into a situation of promise and I'm now willing to give him a second chance later again this year when we add our second trailer.  I do believe there are good ones out there but I want (no....I / we should demand) these people to work hard for my money and treat with me the upmost respect by not distorting the truth and keeping me totally in the know about the progress of my build......especially if they're gonna take 50 percent of my money up front!  Our industry / business is better than this....or so I hope!
    Scuba     
    chefbuba
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 22:17:32 (permalink)
    When I was shopping, I could not even get a quote from the two big builders in Florida, I guess 40-50 grand is no big deal to them.....The company that ended up building my trailer was sure happy that I spent my money with them!
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/02/22 23:25:20 (permalink)
    Doesn't that just floor you???  Letting 40-50 grand slip away would drive me insane crazy!!!  And even in my case of 28-29k, it is soooo hard for me to even remotely comprehend WHY it's not important enough to keep me (the up-front paying customer) posted....even when changing trailer manufacturers without so much of a word of what was going on!!!  When customers line up at our tent / booth it just eats me alive knowing that people may have to wait and that we could miss their sales........every penny is so darn precious!  I tried to cancel my contract yesterday afternoon after being so totally exhausted of fighting all day just to find out where my rig (or piece of paper that indicates what my rig WILL be) was after 6 weeks.....of course the dealer said he would gladly cancel the contract AFTER the trailer was built and then he would sell it. THEN I could be reimbursed the amount it would sale for....so from here we would tack on another 5 maybe 6 weeks if I were to go this route before I would get my money back!!  Can you imagine that?.....and I was sitting in the plant manager's office where the trailer was NOT being built yet when this conversation took place!  My business philosophy is a heck of a lot different especially when it comes to taking care of my customers. 
    Thanks again for weighing in ChefBuba!
    Sincerely,
    Scubaguy  
    Bobby G's Good Eats
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/10 16:05:06 (permalink)
    I feel the pain on this thread... I gave my deposit on December 9th and I finally got my "empty" trailer on March 1st...now I am adding the components in and this is going to take probably another month or 6... they sure do take their time don't they...

Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/10 19:28:18 (permalink)
    I ordered my trailer (car hauler) on a Monday 2/21 from Pro-line trailers in VA and it was ready to pick up on thursday the same week. Left for VA on Sunday after - had my trailer home Monday 2/28. I have stripped out the original plywood, rough wired it, cut out for the concession window and welded in a frame, cut and welded in a frame for a generator box, insulated it, and now building the concession window and generator door, and half plywooded the ceiling by this afternoon. I wanted to document and would have posted the pics but that is too much of a pita here.

I hate waiting for people to neglect you. At this rate I am going to have my trailer together by the end of the month if all goes well. - which is when I was supposed to get my stripped custom trailer with the window and gen. door.
    post edited by Chicnscoop - 2011/03/10 19:31:41
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/10 22:24:39 (permalink)
    Hi Bobby G's Good Eats!  Sounds like you're on the same track that I am......16 weeks maybe with a little luck!  I wouldn't be so chapped if my "dealer" would at least "talk" with me about the progress of my unit AND offer an apology, but instead he's as silent as a dead person!!  My contract (or should I say the worthless piece of paper I got the day I spent 15k) stated an 8 week build time with some "fine print" stating that the build could take longer in some cases.  Of course on this particular dealers web-site, he proudly boasts that he's NEVER missed a construction / delivery deadline!  Boy has this ever turned out to be a flat out lie!!  This whole mess sounds more and more fishy by the day....especially the "silence" part but all I can do at this point is wait it out until the NEW deadline and then (if I don't get my trailer) I'm gonna pursue legal actions to recover my money and start over!  No telling at this point when or if I'll ever see my rig......and every day I continue to miss one event / sales opportunity after the next!  We need to keep the chant going........these darn 50 percent deposits are for the birds!  I would be ok if this was in an escrow account or some protected, third party account because this dealer does not pay the factory until the trailer rolls off the floor which means the delay plays right into his pocket.  As it stands now he has absolutely zero investment in me as a customer.....he website is filled with statements he will not honor which means his advertising is worthless, his time investment is no more than about 4 hours (at the most) thus far and he continues to use my money (interest free) for lord only knows what!  Good luck with your rig and keep us posted on your progress!
    Scubaguy 
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/10 22:31:11 (permalink)
    Hi Chicnscoop!  Wish I had spent my hard earned dollars with your dealer / company Pro-Line Trailers!  Sounds like you're almost there with your rig.......it's good to know that "good ones" are out there and will deliver and do what they say they will!  Good luck with everything
    scubaguy
    chefbuba
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/10 22:34:33 (permalink)
    Call that SOB 20 times a day!.... Every time the secretary answers the phone, ask to speak to him!..They will get tired of it at some point.
    You are being too nice....You need to get into the "where the F is my trailer mode"
    Call the president.....His name & # are in the BBB report

post edited by chefbuba - 2011/03/10 22:41:37
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/10 22:44:29 (permalink)
    Good advice chefbuba!  I've been calling about every other day (both to the factory and to the dealer) and at least the factory will talk to me!  The factory appears to be doing everything they can at this point but he's promised me one date and they say it can't be done!  Tomorrow I'll start at 7:59 am and keep calling until I get him.......his secretary is doing a good job of keeping me off his butt right now but I got other people who can call!  Thanks again for the advice! 
    Scubaguy
    Bobby G's Good Eats
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/11 13:44:30 (permalink)
    what's killing me is the fact that if you all knew what my budget was and what this guy is doing for me... you... as I am doing... is... let him work on it and beg, plead, cry, not talk back, etc, etc...just so he finishes it before I yell, scream, push him, etc, etc...

you see, I am building a 7k trailer for about 3k... so for me it's a rock and hard place situation ...
    I am in full appreciation of what this man is doing for me and my daughter (I am a single parent of a 4 yr. old girl)...lost my job in nov 2010, going this new route for my livelihood and he knows my situation... so for me I cannot tell him to get the f--- going... but when I go there and see him working on other trailers it just makes me think, why isn't he at least started on mine... I mean, it's not like he has to do a whole heck of alot to it...I'm not putting in alot of stuff... just enough to cook a burger or dog...

I am just frustrated regarding not keeping me informed on the progress...

scuba...the mere fact you knew it might take longer tells me you just need to hang in there... knowing that was in the contract should have told you not to set any jobs up ... but like you I rely on people's word too much...I need income right now but since I am not getting my trailer today, I just do my homework on what other stuff I have to do in this business...I just got my location secured which took me about 2 months to find...no rent to be paid as it's road side vending in the last open spot palm beach county had left... the other spots were on inclines and some flower vendors got those and the one I really wanted was way too far to work...

so with the time I have I need to figure out where I am going to store my trailer... which is going to be tough since I will need electricity (I think) for the fridge...unless I take out all the food every day and store it in my coolers...
    Good Luck...
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/14 08:35:48 (permalink)
    I don't think calling your builder constantly will help. The more you complain, the more of a screw him attitude your builder will have when working on your trailer. Trust me I am a contractor and it is difficult to resist giving back the attitude you get from a difficult customer in the quality. Bother him too much and he may string you out longer then reject your job all together just to spite you. Be professional when dealing with him. Ther emust be a reason you hired someone to do the build. If it is so easy to do - build it yourself - like I am. Now I know it is not easy but I want it without waiting for anyone else.
    chocolategypsy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/14 11:25:22 (permalink)
    The problem is you are dealing with a 'dealer' who is the middleman. The obvious reason why the build took so long to start, and why it was switched to a different manufacturer, was he was putting the hustle on the builders trying to squeeze a better deal - and the whole time sitting on your money!
    I bet he probably contacted LOTS of manufacturers, said "look, here's a signed contract, what's your best price?" and just sat back waiting for the numbers to come in - very common in lots of industries.

When he got the new builder to go with it, they had no idea he had been spending your money all that time with no results - probably was rolling in booze and hookers the whole time.

We had a guy like that once, wouldn't return calls, never in the office. We waited for a three-day holiday, went to his office Friday after they closed, and scattered about 50 pounds of fish guts in the crawl space under his building, then nailed the cover back in place...by Monday morning when they all came back to work, you could REALLY TELL that customers were unhappy....I say show no mercy, period.
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/03/14 15:02:31 (permalink)
    Fish guts - I love it.

Now that's back woods revenge.
    yotphix
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/05/28 23:42:03 (permalink)
    If scubaguy is around anywhere still, I'd really like to hear the end of this story.  I've been shopping around for a trailer builder lately.  His builder is on my short list and I'd like to know how the situation was resolved.  I'm also curious about that 28' trailer for sale.
    cracker75
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/05/29 04:07:55 (permalink)
    Not related to trailers, but I had a similar experience with some boutique music gear from a small builder, who was backlogged indefinitely on custom equipment, and had dropped the "cone of silence" on his existing clients who had paid up front. I thought that if I bought some gear listed as "in-stock", I would be less at-risk for getting screwed.... turned out to still be a torturous process of a 1001 phone calls (from different numbers so he wouldn't know it was me), and in the end, it took forever and, my gear sucked big time. 

I swear he only shipped it because I used a credit card and threatened to reverse the charge. 

I say don't even bother. Start court proceedings now, get your $ back (including court fees), and go give your money to someone who deserves it. 
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/05/29 14:17:58 (permalink)
    My dilema is still not over!!!  If you would like to call me, I'll be more than happy to update you and offer some advice before you spend your money!  I've learned some painful lessons in this ordeal!  Email me at and I'll provide you with my number. 
    Scubaguy
    scubaguy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Concession Trailer Dealers 2011/05/29 14:19:10 (permalink)
    scubaguy4u2002atyahoodotcom

sorry
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1