Concession Trailer construction questions

Author
fraz627
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
2011/12/10 19:58:56 (permalink)

Concession Trailer construction questions

I am in the Early planning stages of buying, building a concession trailer.  My research in regarding the construction shows that serving windows and windows in general are quite expensive, especially when you add the flip up awnings. I have seen where others have used standard home windows with sliders for this purpose, which would save a quite a bit of cash than can go to other items.
My main question is once you cut the hole for the window, how do you goes about beefing up around the opening, to prevent the roof from sagging?
What is physical make up of a standard cargo trailer wall? I know this will vary by manufacturer.
How would you go about converting to a removable tounge?
I have also seen where the custom built units have a lower floor, to compensate for serving height.

I am looking to do mostly fairs and festivbles, so FLASH is the key. The FLASH type trailers even used are quite expensive.

Any advice, critism or such is helpful.

Jim

10 Replies Related Threads

THE WILD DOG
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/10 22:55:37 (permalink)
    chasendad
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/11 00:40:40 (permalink)
    We bought a trailer last month and bought a truck today, After researching building a trailer it was going to cost more to build it than buy one already built.. You need to think ahead about resale..  my trailer will probobly be for sale in a month or so after I get the truck up to snuff.. Its Lime green with a removable tongue..
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2111
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/11 08:51:59 (permalink)
    You install a 'header' beam with sufficient strength to transfer the roof load to the window jack-studs at the jambs and/or un-cut trailer studs.      ... cut the existing framing at a the required height, then install the header beam to the bottom of the existing (cut) framing.

For a trailer, I think, a beam with a cap. of 100 lbs per ft loading would be sufficient.   You need to check the weight (dead loading) for that section of the roof to make sure.     Double 2x6 or 4" deep steel tube  ???
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/11 13:18:37 (permalink)
    Double 2x6 or 4" deep steel tube???????????

There isn't a trailer anywhere that uses anything close to those specs. Heck I used a one inch steel square tube stock to do my 6 foot by 4 foot service window header and after 6 years it's fine. You engineers always over build everything. LOL Heck motor-homes use two by two wood, and it's junk wood to boot. .
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2111
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/11 16:48:07 (permalink)
    I or we have no idea of what the OP will be attaching to the ceiling in that area or putting on top of of the roof at that point.     ... Two 2x6's may be over kill, but they are cheap and easy to work.   ... The steel tubing depends on wall thickness, I was assuming a light gage tube.   But even a small tube can be used and if any sagging is observed, diagonals can be installed to strengthen the header.    ... Yes most enclosed cargo trailers are framed with 1X stl tube and the loading to a header is about 2 lb per ft.  without anything attached to the ceiling or walls.
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/11 17:11:30 (permalink)
    When I had my concession trailer, it had either 1" or 1 1/4" steel tubing up the sides. I cut holes in the walls on both sides of trailer for windows. Never had a problem. Walked all over top of trailer all the time. Roof never sagged, and windows always slide when I asked them to. Of course, I live down here in New Mexico where sleet and snow is almost obsolete anymore to accumulate on a roof.
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/11 23:17:09 (permalink)
    FriedTater
    ... I live down here in New Mexico where sleet and snow is almost obsolete anymore to accumulate on a roof.

Oh yeah. Right... snow is almost obsolete. This picture was taken on Monday!
    We STILL had snow on the roof when we pulled into Roswell this morning.

THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/12 01:27:43 (permalink)
    lornaschinske

FriedTater
    ... I live down here in New Mexico where sleet and snow is almost obsolete anymore to accumulate on a roof.

Oh yeah. Right... snow is almost obsolete. This picture was taken on Monday!
    We STILL had snow on the roof when we pulled into Roswell this morning.

FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/12 09:41:24 (permalink)
    Looks fake to me!
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Concession Trailer construction questions 2011/12/12 12:01:34 (permalink)
    FriedTater

Looks fake to me!

I wish! There was still snow all over Valley of Fires (looked neat against all the lava.. I took pics), Socorro, Carrizozo, Capitan and Hondo. It was 31 when we woke up in Hondo on Sunday morning. Brrrr!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1