Concession Trailer

Author
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 798
2007/01/21 12:08:55 (permalink)

Concession Trailer

Just bought my second trailer. This one will sit on a semi permanent basis at my location in Russellville KY. I will pull it to my two best events a year and use my small trailer for the other events. This one has a very neat feature it has an ice maker on the roof that feeds to the ice bin on my drink machine so I never have to haul ice.

New Trailer
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/hooversconcessions/photo/294928804191564427/1

Existing trailer
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/hooversconcessions/photo/294928804191564436/0

22 Replies Related Threads

carolinacooking
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/21 14:38:01 (permalink)
    Nice looking trailer! What kind of voltage do you have to plug into?

dw
    callmebruce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/21 15:10:44 (permalink)
    I like it!!! I noticed the Fried Pie sign on the trailer. Is that from the previous owner, or do you make fried pies? What do you serve? What sells well?
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/21 16:15:21 (permalink)
    The new one is 100amp service and the other one is 50amp service although I can run it on 110v if needed.
    quote:
    Originally posted by carolinacooking

Nice looking trailer! What kind of voltage do you have to plug into?

dw
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/21 16:18:40 (permalink)
    My orignal menu is Pork Chop Sandwich and Ribeye Steak Sandwich, Fresh Cut Fries, Sweet Potato Fries we also do a steakburger, 1/4 lb hot dog and a spicy grilled chicken sandwich. As far as the pies go the lady that I bought the trailer from is going to wholesale the pies to me, so I can keep selling them.
    quote:
    Originally posted by callmebruce

I like it!!! I noticed the Fried Pie sign on the trailer. Is that from the previous owner, or do you make fried pies? What do you serve? What sells well?
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/21 16:20:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by callmebruce

Number 1 seller for us is the Ribeye Steak Sandwich
    cowtown
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/21 16:44:41 (permalink)
    Ok I have the same question about the fried pies. Do you sell them if so what kind? I sell meat pies, crawfish pies etc.
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/21 21:31:30 (permalink)
    Fried Pies we sell Apple,Chocolate and Peach
    Freebird T Park
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/22 00:13:07 (permalink)
    PC Cool looking trailer. I'm just a po bot, slowly building my own. One small step at a time.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/22 00:59:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkchopexpress

So a couple of questions: Are you buying whole Ribeyes and slicing them your self? Are you using a meat slicer? How thick or how many ounces are you serving? How are you cooking them….char broiler? What are you paying for your ribeyes per Lb. What are you charging per sandwich? Are you ever pre cooking and holding them? If so how are you holding them, and for how long? I keep thinking about Ribeyes, I did them in my first venture into the food business and they make a great product/sandwich. But the price of the ribeyes has gone out of sight. Come on share all your secrets.LOLWhen you come up in March are you working an event or doing the tourist thing? Come see me and I’ll trade you a great recipe but you need to bring an equally great recipe with you. Sound good?
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/22 01:26:13 (permalink)
    Try to get the woman to make you sweet potato, lemon and berry pies..Mmmmm
    Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/22 15:09:59 (permalink)
    Never heard of fried pies? Are these like the Hostess apple pies but homade?
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/22 16:01:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hot Dog King

Never heard of fried pies? Are these like the Hostess apple pies but homade?

They are wonderful yes like the hostess only 1000X better
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/22 16:17:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

quote:

So a couple of questions: Are you buying whole Ribeyes and slicing them your self? Are you using a meat slicer? How thick or how many ounces are you serving? How are you cooking them….char broiler? What are you paying for your ribeyes per Lb. What are you charging per sandwich? Are you ever pre cooking and holding them? If so how are you holding them, and for how long? I keep thinking about Ribeyes, I did them in my first venture into the food business and they make a great product/sandwich. But the price of the ribeyes has gone out of sight. Come on share all your secrets.LOLWhen you come up in March are you working an event or doing the tourist thing? Come see me and I’ll trade you a great recipe but you need to bring an equally great recipe with you. Sound good?
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com

My father owns an IGA store so I get a great price for the ribeyes. Right now my cost is $2.29lb but in the dead of summer I'll pay $3.80 lb little more or less. We slice them fairly thin I would have to get the exact number on the slicer from my butcher. We sell anywhere from 4 to 6 1/3 deep steam pans a day. We cook them early around 9am and they will hold great. The juice off of them creates an Au-Jus in the pan. I sell them for $3.50 at my location. At events I'll go at least $4 and alot of time $5 all depends on the rent I pay. I cook them on a Charcoal grill but from time to time I cook them on my charbroiler (depends if my help shows or not). It's all in the seasoning and I've got an excellent sprikle on seasoning (before you grill) that I came up with. I'll bring you a bottle when I come up. My wife's family lives in Pekin so we are going to visit before my season starts up again.
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/22 20:41:26 (permalink)
    It would be enlighting if u could tell us how many to the pound do u create when cutting. That would give us the info we need to do calculations.
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/22 21:54:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by genewj

It would be enlighting if u could tell us how many to the pound do u create when cutting. That would give us the info we need to do calculations.

I'll do a cut test tomorrow and post the results.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/23 11:44:53 (permalink)
    quote:

how many to the pound do u create when cutting.

Pork Chop,
    Gene and I are just looking for another good idea for our stands and I promise not trying to harass you. LOL It's just that as you know the food business is a lot of hard work and if we can learn from someone else’s dedication and thoughtful planning that's a real free-bee that might make us the super success that we strive to be. So don't think for a moment we are not appreciative of any help you might be. If you ever feel uncomfortable about answering questions I might ask, just say so or send an answer in a private post. But I think this forum is a great tool for the people in the food business, or those that aspire to be to share and learn from others. By the way how many events do you do a year? Do you travel all over the country, or stick to one area? Now that gas prices are lower (for now) it’s going to make it a little easier expense wise to travel to events. Lets hope they remain low for the season.
    Jack@drofBBQ.com

PS For those of you that want to jump on the concession trail a couple of things to keep in mind:

High gas prices = increased expenses for travel and it’s the same for those that attend events so attendance can drop dramatically from year to year.

Higher up front fees (space rental) from the event committees = More hours or perhaps even a day or two of hard work before you even start to make a profit

It’s even harder every year to find good employees willing to be gone from they’re families for a weekend or an entire week to work events.

Customers taste change constantly and they jump from one new hot item (this years favorite) to another, which may require new equipment and or a whole new trailer.

Bad weather can kill attendance for a day or two or a whole week, and if it happens you just lost your opportunity to make a profit. You still have to pay travel, staff, hotel rooms, entry fees, and food cost. And it may take another event or two just to get back to even.

A poorly run event, no pre-promotion or advertising, or an event that draws only one age group will end up costing you just like the rainout event.

Waiting list to get into events may mean you don’t get into some of the bigger and better events for years.

It’s not all food = profit for vendors, but when it goes right it’s great.
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/23 12:22:41 (permalink)
    PorkChop as my friend Jack clearly pointed out to U, we are both always looking to improve our quality and profitability on our carts and stand. U awoke an interest in me, because i keep getting requests from my hispanic group, Bistec???
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/23 14:24:39 (permalink)
    From my Recipe Collection:

Steak, Cuban (Bistec)
    Serves: 6
    6 steaks, 4 to 6 ounces each
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    Juice of 2 limes
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped by hand
    3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped by hand

Pound the steaks on both sides, using a mallet, until 1/4" thick.
    Slice meat thin. Season with garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper, and allow to marinate at least 1 hour, refrigerated.
    Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry. In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat until very hot, and brown each steak for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
    Transfer the steaks to a serving platter and keep warm. Add the marinade and onion to the pan and cook until the onion is slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Garnish the steaks with the onion and parsley and serve immediately.

Steak With Onions (Bistec Encebollado)
    Ingredients
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
    1 tsp. Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning
    1/4 tsp. oregano
    1/4 cup Vinegar (or lemon juice)
    2 lbs. trimmed loin or fillet of beef (¼ inch thick
    slices)
    2 tablespoon. Oil
    4 large onions, sliced very thin

Directions
    1.Mix garlic, black pepper, adobo, oregano and vinegar together and rub into steak.
    2.Heat oil in Skillet on low, cook onions until barely cooked (keep crisp and white).
    3.Remove onions and drain on paper towels.
    4.On high fry steaks rapidly on each side until brown serve with onions.

Bistec Empanizado
    (Breaded Steak)
    4 steaks ¼ inch thick or cube steak
    1 chopped onion
    3 cloves minced fresh garlic
    ¼ cup sour orange or lime
    1 tbsp Adobo seasoning
    4 eggs
    1 cup finely ground cracker meal, salted to taste olive oil

Sprinkle steaks with chopped onion, garlic, juice, and salt.
    Rub garlic into meat. Marinate overnight.
    Beat the eggs in bowl and dip each steak in the egg first and then cracker meal, coating each steak completely.
    Fry steak in skillet on medium heat until golden brown and well done.

Breaded Steak (Bistec)
    4 steaks, 1/4 inch thick
    1 chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    ¼ cup orange juice, sour orange juice (or 1/8 cup orange juice & 1/16 cup lemon juice & 1/16 cup lime juice)
    1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon peppercorns, smashed
    1/8 teaspoon paprika, Spanish
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 eggs
    1 cup ground cracker meal, salted to taste and flour olive oil
    Breaded Steak (Bistec Empanizado)
    1.Sprinkle steaks with chopped onion, minced garlic, "sour" orange juice or alternative mix, and salt.
    2.Rub into meat and cover.
    3.Place in the refrigerator & allow to marinate overnight.
    4.In bowl, beat the eggs - place flour on a plate, & breadcrumbs on another plate.
    5.Season with the seasonings and dip the steaks into eggs, then roll into flour cover lightly, then back into egg mixture and then into breadcrumbs and cover both on sides.
    6.Heat oil in skillet on medium heat and fry steak on both sides, until golden brown - don't overcook.
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/23 15:42:21 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

how many to the pound do u create when cutting.

Pork Chop,
    Gene and I are just looking for another good idea for our stands and I promise not trying to harass you. LOL It's just that as you know the food business is a lot of hard work and if we can learn from someone else’s dedication and thoughtful planning that's a real free-bee that might make us the super success that we strive to be. So don't think for a moment we are not appreciative of any help you might be. If you ever feel uncomfortable about answering questions I might ask, just say so or send an answer in a private post. But I think this forum is a great tool for the people in the food business, or those that aspire to be to share and learn from others. By the way how many events do you do a year? Do you travel all over the country, or stick to one area? Now that gas prices are lower (for now) it’s going to make it a little easier expense wise to travel to events. Lets hope they remain low for the season.
    Jack@drofBBQ.com

PS For those of you that want to jump on the concession trail a couple of things to keep in mind:

High gas prices = increased expenses for travel and it’s the same for those that attend events so attendance can drop dramatically from year to year.

Higher up front fees (space rental) from the event committees = More hours or perhaps even a day or two of hard work before you even start to make a profit

It’s even harder every year to find good employees willing to be gone from they’re families for a weekend or an entire week to work events.

Customers taste change constantly and they jump from one new hot item (this years favorite) to another, which may require new equipment and or a whole new trailer.

Bad weather can kill attendance for a day or two or a whole week, and if it happens you just lost your opportunity to make a profit. You still have to pay travel, staff, hotel rooms, entry fees, and food cost. And it may take another event or two just to get back to even.

A poorly run event, no pre-promotion or advertising, or an event that draws only one age group will end up costing you just like the rainout event.

Waiting list to get into events may mean you don’t get into some of the bigger and better events for years.

It’s not all food = profit for vendors, but when it goes right it’s great.

I'll help anyone I can, In anyway I can. I love sharing ideas and picking up ideas as well. Today I got 15 steaks from 2lbs. So that's .31 cents each plus bun and seasoning, charcoal and condiments. What I do also is sell a combo with a large order of fresh cut fries (which is one 70ct potato) and sandwich and a 16oz fountain drink for $6. I figure I have 50 cents in the sandwich 30cents in the fries and a 25cents in the drink. My rent is fairly cheap for the spot I have. I have my own meter set so I have electric cost also. How is your rent set monthly or weekly.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/23 16:15:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    I love sharing ideas and picking up ideas as well. My rent is fairly cheap for the spot I have. I have my own meter set so I have electric cost also. How is your rent set monthly or weekly.

I get it (electric) free at KMart it's included in my rent which I pay monthly but I'm in the process of a move to a new location. So now I have to have a new meter set and I'll end up paying City Water Light and Power. In Springfield the city owns it's own utility company and our rates are reasonable cheap compared to others across the nation. I'm also going to have to spen about $800.00 for a new water service to be put in. But the move puts me on a island between two of the busiest streets in the capitol. I’ll post pictures as I go with this new set up..
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/23 20:41:05 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    I love sharing ideas and picking up ideas as well. My rent is fairly cheap for the spot I have. I have my own meter set so I have electric cost also. How is your rent set monthly or weekly.

I get it (electric) free at KMart it's included in my rent which I pay monthly but I'm in the process of a move to a new location. So now I have to have a new meter set and I'll end up paying City Water Light and Power. In Springfield the city owns it's own utility company and our rates are reasonable cheap compared to others across the nation. I'm also going to have to spen about $800.00 for a new water service to be put in. But the move puts me on a island between two of the busiest streets in the capitol. I’ll post pictures as I go with this new set up..

I could get my electric free but it's just 110v so I spent $595.00 to have my electric service put in so now I have 100amps 220v
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Concession Trailer 2007/01/23 20:44:41 (permalink)
    we work about 25 events a year. I really enjoy doing that part of it. It's very hard, all the setting up and tearing down. But meeting new vendors and the socializing with others in the business makes it fun.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1