Concession trailer or hot dog cart?

Author
jrod31
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/07/03 19:20:28 (permalink)

Concession trailer or hot dog cart?

I was thinking in buying a Hot Dog cart and add a grill, but now I started to see Concession trailers. i know that a concession trailers is better. I am just starting this business, buying a hat dog cart is not a big investment in the other hand a trailer is over 10k. Also here in Florida the law doesn't permit for you to fry in the public or sell non cook food, does anynody knows if using a concession trailer you are able to sell non cook food and fry?

2 Replies Related Threads

doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Concession trailer or hot dog cart? 2006/07/05 11:06:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jrod31

I was thinking in buying a Hot Dog cart and add a grill, but now I started to see Concession trailers. i know that a concession trailers is better. I am just starting this business, buying a hat dog cart is not a big investment in the other hand a trailer is over 10k. Also here in Florida the law doesn't permit for you to fry in the public or sell non cook food, does anybody knows if using a concession trailer you are able to sell non cook food and fry?

This is one of my future ideas for what I want to do. Over here is a truck that has a six burner stove, three row steam table, full sized fridge and it seems to be more. They do their frying in a large cast iron pot on top of the stove. I do not know how they transport the oil afterwards. I asked the owner about how much he paid for the truck and he said it cost him about $18,000. I have seen used trucks that cost much more but feature dish-washing systems and more fridge/ cold storage.

What I like is that they serve Spanish/Cuban style foods and to a gringo like me -some- dishes fall into the "What is it?" category when I read the menu board. They do serve some incredible looking and tasting food. One dish is sauteed shrimp on green rice, and they do make the fried chicken inside the parked truck. I think that the idea is important for me to consider; selling something besides the traditional stuff found on a concession truck. No hot dogs please....

So what are my ideas? I am inspired by my time in Hawaii where plate lunches are popular. Grilled chicken, fish or teriyaki beef served together with rice and macaroni salad. Meat and two...? Going further, I am aware of these two women who make upscale lunches of sauteed shrimp on rice and things like that.

Upscale burritos and other Mexican style foods could work.

I also think about a BBQ truck that would pull a smoker behind it. You just park the truck and grill away. The problem here is just like your oil question as how does one deal with the embers?

As much as I would like to get feedback from folks here on their experiences doing this, I guess I would be better served to find out if there are any trucks that are unique to their region. Is there anything that would or does make you stop and pull over?

Anyone here owned or worked on one of these trucks?

mark

EddyBees Dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Concession trailer or hot dog cart? 2006/07/10 01:36:44 (permalink)
    Trucks are great, but you might be limited size wise at some locations or events. I have a great cart, and some of my gigs I couldnt do if I had a big truck. Sometimes smaller is better.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1