Conch Chowder

Author
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
2004/08/06 09:03:15 (permalink)

Conch Chowder

Do any of you like Conch Chowder. I had some last night at a South Florida themed Restaurant. It was really good- just enough spice and a sort of tomato /cream mixture-like a Manhatten, New England mixture.

5 Replies Related Threads

renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Conch Chowder 2004/08/06 09:20:43 (permalink)
    I like it a lot. I had this caribbean one made with some nice dark rum that was really good recently. I have to find the recipe so i can make it again and post.

What I like more than conch chowder though, are conch fritters. Pretty hard to find conch up here in Boston though.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Conch Chowder 2004/08/06 09:38:31 (permalink)
    My favorite place for Conch Chowder is at Ernie's BBQ on Federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale, just north of the airport. Nice and spicy, served with thick slices of Bimini Bread. You'll think you're in Key West.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Conch Chowder 2004/08/06 09:55:47 (permalink)
    Bimini bread. I haven't thought of Bimini bread in years. The first time I had some was with a ham sandwich at a bar on Bimini. The same bread, by the way, was the local bread in the Virgin Islands.
    Blower
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Conch Chowder 2004/08/07 17:13:52 (permalink)
    Yum Conch chowder. I swear I must have had that every day for 2 weeks when I was down in the keys. Conch fritters were great too...

I dont want to hear too much complaining from the Bostonian. I know you cant get them in boston but my childhood beach favorites were clam fritters that are every bit as good!!!
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 518
    RE: Conch Chowder 2004/08/07 20:05:56 (permalink)
    Ernie's is great. When ever I visit my sister in Fort Lauderdale, I have to go several times during my stay. They have great conch chowder, fritters, and a killer conch salad. Sort of like a ceviche with conch, tomato, green pepper, garlic, spices, etc. soaked in a lemon or lime vinegar based dressing. Also killer pork BBQ sandwiches on Bimini bread and real key lime pie.

The place has an eclectic clientle - from locals who may be a bit down on their luck, to business people, to kids going for a pre or post prom meal, to wedding receptions, law enforcement, etc.

For those who may want to try conch chowder, it can be ordered on line from: The Green Turtle Cannery - also have turtle soup/chowder, turtle consomme and canned key lime pie filling. As a disclaimer, I do not have, nor do any of my family members, nor any of our frieds, at lest that I know of, have any fiduciary connection with this company, well except for the fact that I order from them and pay them for their product. Enjoy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1