Condensation

Author
Senor Steve
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2014/01/11 12:43:56 (permalink)

Condensation

Hi, 

I am in the process of installing my wall and roof panels in my P30 step van.  I installed 1.5" R7.5 Foamular between all the I beams (sidewalls & roof).  I also taped off all the joints with the red tape used to seal the Foamular joints.  My concern is now that I have installed my plywood and FRP, I'm noticing condensation lines where the plywood/FRP panels are touching the aluminum I beams.  Is the condensation only on the FRP side of the wood or will it get behind it and saturate the wood too?  I'm hoping this is only happening because it's winter and it is usually 30 degrees or colder outside and inside the van.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  

....and if it matters the truck does have about 1-2" of snow on the roof when I noticed.
post edited by Senor Steve - 2014/01/11 12:46:34

1 Reply Related Threads

RichardFla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Condensation 2014/01/19 12:09:28 (permalink)
    I notice insulating the walls seems popular,but if you take an aluminum outer skin and insulate and ply the interior then FRP the plywood can no longer breath.
    Warm inside,cold outside with no air movement will cause condensation and corrosion.
    If you do not insulate you have a air gap between the plywood and outer skin which in itself is an insulation factor and still allows the wall to breath,also when installing the plywood leave a small gap between the pieces of plywood ends so it has room to expand and contract.

From the factory most roof's are insulated with loose fitted fiberglass matting and really has worked well through the years. 
    It is kinda late now but you could maybe get some 1 to 2 inch round soffit vents that are used in homes,Home Depot carries them and others,then using a size matching hole saw,find the roughly center of the wall beams (measure the rivets on the exterior) and a few inches above the floor line cut the hole through the FRP,plywood,and insulation and pop the vents in,then the walls can breath and dry out in between the sweating process,quick,cheap and easy.

There are probably other ways but this should be user friendly.
    post edited by RichardFla - 2014/01/19 12:13:57
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1