Condensed Milk

Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2126
2003/10/05 15:00:35 (permalink)

Condensed Milk

If anyone has ever tried shaved ice in New Orleans they can appreciate the condensed milk topping that adds so much flavor. Does anyone else have a favorite treat that is complemented with the syrup?

10 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/05 17:10:06 (permalink)
    I believe i may have mentioned this in another forum,but my favorite use for condenced milk is a delighful Jamaican concotion called--"Dragon's Milk"---Dragon Stout---(Jamaican stout that may of maynot be available here in the USA)mixed with condenced milk and served over ice----amazingly easy to drink on a hot summer day!!---My wife on the other hand is perfectly satisfied just lick it off her fingers right out of the can!She claims its because she is not only Austrian--but Viennese--"where they have food you dont have to grow up to appreciate!" i like to drizzle it over warm ginger bread too, and in a good strong coffee with little splash of Irish or brandy!
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/05 17:50:33 (permalink)
    Vietnamese coffee (usually New Orleans' Cafe du Monde chickory/coffee blend in most places I frequent) dripped over sweetened condensed milk makes a great finish to a spicy Oriental meal.
    emmymom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/05 22:15:15 (permalink)
    Condensed milk makes the best and easiest Flan (caramel custard, common in Spanish-speaking cultures - the French call it Creme Caramel.) Took this from a Burt Wolff program. Just put one can of condensed milk in a blender, add one can water, 6 eggs and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. Whiz till well combined. Line a baking dish with caramel (melt 1/2 cup of sugar in a dry frying pan over medium heat until melted and light brown. DON'T touch it, it's molten-hot--I still have a scar on my arm where a bit dropped on me over twenty years ago. Pour into bottom of baking dish and tilt till bottom is covered) and pour the egg-milk mixture over the caramel. Bake at 325 degrees in a water bath until congealed but still a little jiggly in the middle (45 minutes to an hour.) Serve chilled. Easy, easy, easy! And REALLY good.

Condensed milk is used to make a lot of desserts in Caribbean and Latin American countries -- I guess it has something to do with the climate and perishability.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/06 02:02:47 (permalink)
    I've actually been known to eat the stuff straight out of the can, unadulturated.

This fact creeps my wife out severely.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/06 05:21:54 (permalink)
    Umm, it explicitely says not to do this on the can...but I have never blown myself up. Cover UNOPENED can with plenty of water, and boil for about an hour. When all cooled off, you have dulce de leche...so gooooood.

I also bake some cookie bars with it and put it in coffee.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/06 10:28:17 (permalink)
    Agree with Mrs. tiki and Lucky Bishop that condensed milk is fine just straight out of the can; in fact, that's about my favorite way to enjoy it. However, ElsieT's recipe above reminds me of one given to me a number of years ago and which I've used, but can't find now. Anyway, it called for boiling two unopened cans of condensed milk for two hours (adding water as necessary to keep cans covered). Open cans when partially cooled (safely handle with oven mitt) and half fill baked pie shell with "caramelized" condensed milk; top with toasted pecans. Fill remainder of pie shell with "caramelized" condensed milk and decoratively top with toasted pecan halves. I can't remember if the two cans of milk were required for one pie (believe so) or if each can made a pie. If can't find recipe, I'll contact Jackie to see what her recipe stated. Remember pie was surprisingly good and easy. I, too, worried about blowing up the place, but it never happened the several times tried this. Do, however, take care when handling the caramelized condensed milk; don't spill any on yourself.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6801
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/06 18:15:06 (permalink)
    When I was in Brazil, they used a lot of condensed milk. My favorite way of consuming such was on a beach in Cabo Frio at a concession stand that was making tropical drinks.........mix in a blender, 1/2 ripe mango, a little condensed milk, spoon of sugar, shot of vodka and some ice. Blend, pour in tall glass with staw. Sip and enjoy the sunshine!!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4008
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/06 20:36:56 (permalink)
    The Vietnamese coffee with sweetened condensed milk is really hard to beat. Right on Howard!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/06 22:39:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

When I was in Brazil, they used a lot of condensed milk. My favorite way of consuming such was on a beach in Cabo Frio at a concession stand that was making tropical drinks.........mix in a blender, 1/2 ripe mango, a little condensed milk, spoon of sugar, shot of vodka and some ice. Blend, pour in tall glass with staw. Sip and enjoy the sunshine!!
    I am actually in Brazil right now! I had a wonderful popcorn a few hours ago with condensed milk sprinkled on top and I have to say it can rival caramel corn
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6801
    RE: Condensed Milk 2003/10/07 03:59:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

I am actually in Brazil right now! I had a wonderful popcorn a few hours ago with condensed milk sprinkled on top and I have to say it can rival caramel corn
    Oh I am so jealous, I can't go again until January and then we spend the entire month. May I ask, where in Brazil are you???
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1