Condiments

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1509
RE: Condiments 2003/05/05 00:04:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rumbelly

I've spent a decent amount of time in Jamaica. A common snack is a patty enclosed in coco bread or a butterflap. They are like a tortilla with yeast, baked then brushed with copious amounts of butter whilst still hot. Put the patty in and fold. Very filling. Vinelady, you mention ackees. Great things, too bad they are banned in all forms in the USA.

I have heard of ackees..are they banned because of their sometime toxicity, or am i thinking of something else?
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: Condiments 2003/05/05 09:31:32 (permalink)
Ackees look like peppers on a tree and are poisinous until they ripen. They naturally crack open to reveal stuff that looks like scrambled eggs. A place I used to stay at had the greatest cook Edna. She made ackee patties, the best. In true Jamaican style you would order them in the morning and they would be ready for your afternoon snack. Serious roadfood in J.A.
vinelady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 162
RE: Condiments 2003/05/05 12:50:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rumbelly

I've spent a decent amount of time in Jamaica. A common snack is a patty enclosed in coco bread or a butterflap. They are like a tortilla with yeast, baked then brushed with copious amounts of butter whilst still hot. Put the patty in and fold. Very filling. Vinelady, you mention ackees. Great things, too bad they are banned in all forms in the USA.

There may be banned in the US, But a quick trip to Canada can fix that. Since it is canned most border guys will not stop you.
vinelady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 162
RE: Condiments 2003/05/05 15:51:54 (permalink)
One other condiment that I love is a Green Tomato relish that my grandmother makes. I have been known to eat just that on a piece of good bread.
jvb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Condiments 2003/05/06 07:26:46 (permalink)
I have been able to find canned ackee in a local Tropical Foods store in the Atlanta area. Haven't gotten the nerve to try it yet though.
Richard Brooks Alba
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Condiments 2003/05/06 17:44:07 (permalink)
Sisters & brothers,
I can't believe I'm baring my fridge to all y'all, but here's what I can remember of it:

vinegars - seasoned rice, malt, balsamic, red wine w/ garlic;
mayos (+) - plain, Mexican w/ lime juice [McCormick?], Miracle Whip, leftover homemade aioli (w/ black & white pepper & lime juice);
mustards - Grey Poupon, Gator Cajun, Philippe's Original, some generic hot honey stuff;
ketchup (+) - a bowl of packets, Jufran
soy sauce - ditto
BBQ sauces - KC Masterpiece, Arthur Bryant regular
hot sauces - Tabasco regular, green, & chipotle; Bufalo chipotle; Cholula; Crystal; Chinese red chili oil; Sriracha; Thai sweet red chili sauce
other sauces - "wasabi" in the tube,* horseradish cream, leftover mole poblano, olive salad
salad dressings - a whole mess of 'em - at least one each poppyseed, 1000 Island, Roquefort, vinaigrette, Ranch, Caesar [Cardini?], etc.

I think that's all I can think of - and it mostly all fits in the fridge door!

About Jufran [banana sauce]: it rocks on fried lumpia! (I'm more inclined to use something lighter on/with fresh lumpia - maybe a little seasoned rice vinegar with some basil or mint.) Or try it on potstickers, or siu mai, or even pierogi!

I have SUCH a sandwich jones now!....
Buen provecho,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

* I know it's not real (THAT I have to score with an old boss of mine who's deep into real wasabi along with his anime obsession), but I LUV the color & the bite.

P.S. I've seen canned ackee in some store here in the Bay Area (darned if I can remember where, though) - is it illegally imported? Or is the ban only on fresh ackees or ackee plants?
ali b
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Condiments 2003/05/07 11:14:44 (permalink)
heinz ketchup, several mustards, mayo, sambal, and national brand mango and plum chutney...can never keep enuff of any of these in the fridge
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1509
RE: Condiments 2003/05/07 16:43:19 (permalink)
Thanks to newcomers Richard and Ali for baring their fridges to us! Richard, don't you agree that of all the 'standard' supermarket bbq sauces, KC Masterpiece is the best? and Jufran banana sauce was born to be a lumpia dip!
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Condiments 2003/06/09 22:55:36 (permalink)
Was talking with St. Louis friends this evening who were telling of having attended this weekend a horseradish festival in Collinsville, IL, some 20 or so miles northeast of St.Louis. Collinsville claims to be the horseradish capital of the world. I've driven through there when the horseradish fields were at their peak or during the harvest season and the odor of horseradish just permeates the air (not as pleasant as the odor of peaches perfuming the air as one drives through the Clarksville, AR, area during the height of peach harvest). This horseradish discussion, however, reminded me of a fairly new (to me) homemade condiment, Jezebel Sauce, but which is apparently a long time standard condiment in the Greenville, MS, area. It is certainly delicious with any meat, particularly ham and wildlife, and makes a great spread to use on meat sandwiches in lieu of mustard and/or mayo. In case some of you are unfamiliar with it, as I was until recently, here are two two recipes which I obtained for it.

Jezebel Sauce I
1 5 oz. jar horseradish, 1 1.2 oz. can dry mustard,
1 18 oz. jar pineapple preserves, 1 18 oz. jar apple jelly,
2 T. coarsely ground black pepper

Mix horseradish & mustard well. Combine with remaining ingredients. Keeps in refrigerator forever. Great with all meats, especially ham.

Jezebel Sauce II
1 16 oz. jar pineapple preserves, 1 16 oz. jar apple jelly,
1 fresh jar moist prepared horseradish, 1 can Coleman's dry mustard

Mix all ingredients together a day before first needed so flavors can meld and texture can reestablish. Refrigerates indefinitely. This is a Mississippi Delta "must". Great with all meats; a favorite to use on all sandwiches instead of mayonnaise and mustard.

Although the two versions are nearly identical, the version I've had and have made is Jezebel Sauce II. It is surely good.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Condiments 2003/06/10 09:50:11 (permalink)
a traditional southern quick apetizer is jezebel sauce poured over a block of cream cheese & served with crackers. a newer variation on this is using pepper jelly (at Christmas you use both red & green)
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Condiments 2003/06/10 11:40:46 (permalink)
ocdreamr, I've had the pepper jellies (and also Pickapepper sauce, believe its called) over cream cheese as appetizers for years, but somehow the Jezebel sauce seems to have just missed out getting to this corner of the south. I was totally unfamiliar with it until learning of it from Greenville, MS, friends several years ago and was still unaware of its use as the cream cheese appetizer topping. That sounds delicious, I'm anxious to try it, but though it was an old, traditional thing with my friends, believe they just used it as a condiment.
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
RE: Condiments 2003/06/10 21:55:32 (permalink)
You can sure learn alot from you folks here. I've never even heard of ackees, but the Jamaican patties sound good enough to eat.

I've got the usual in my fridge: soy sauce, oyster sauce, hot chile oil with garlic, chutney, about 5 kinds of mustard, mayo, ketchup, hoisen sauce, Texas Pete, Tobasco, and the new kid on the door, Cholula sauce. Y'all are right, there is more flavor in it than the others. Plus, Pickapeppa sauce, Kraft's Original BBQ sauce, several relishes and chow chow's, and lastly, but not leastly, Mr. Yoshida's Sauce - sort of a teriyaki/marinade/dip sauce. I never run out of it. You can find it a Sam's Club and Walmart.
Julia I
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Condiments 2003/06/11 00:42:14 (permalink)
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Hot Gardeniera, which is a must have around our house for eating on spaghetti with tomato sauce or sliced beef or Italian sausage in an Italian roll.

Other than that, our refrig has the usual sorts of things mentioned by other posters, notable only for the large assortment of mustards. (I have pretty much never met a mustard that I didn't like.)
Matchstick Man
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Condiments 2003/06/11 21:48:08 (permalink)
My condiments are butter, 3 types of mustard (one of which is always Chinese -- best hot mustard I've found so far, unless someone knows of some better? Jalapeño mustard and horseradish mustard aren't hot enough), horseradish, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, "Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce - Suicidal" (I use it instead of hot ketchup), Pace Picante (red top), Kraft's Roka Blue Cheese salad dressing (I use it as a condiment, not just for salads). You will NOT find mayo...only time I use mayo is when I make some potato salad, then I buy the smallest size jar. If I buy anything larger, it'd just get thrown away. I have no other use for the stuff. Very rarely do I make tuna salad and I never make chicken or egg salad. What do I use on sandwiches instead of mayo? Depending on the type of sandwich, I use either mustard or butter.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1