Condiments

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
2003/04/21 17:54:59 (permalink)

Condiments

What kind of condiments do you all keep in your fridge on a regular basis? I consider myself a condiment nut, since I love filling up my fridge with all sorts of condiments..I usually keep 1 kind of mayo, 4 types of mustard, a couple kinds of ketchup, some salsa, hot sauce, soy sauce, 2 kinds of vinegar, assorted chinese hot and sweet sauces, cocktail sauce, bbq sauce, several salad dressings (used as everything)..and those are just the must haves!
What about you folks?

43 Replies Related Threads

yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/21 18:17:50 (permalink)
    All of the above, plus horseradish and Chinese Oyster Sauce. I used to have some Thai fish sauce, but it started to get stinky and I was having a hard time coming up with ways to use it. I've become fond of that low-salt Ketchup.

My wife calls me the Condiment King, and you do not want to mess with the Condiment King's condiment.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/21 18:58:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

All of the above, plus horseradish and Chinese Oyster Sauce. I used to have some Thai fish sauce, but it started to get stinky and I was having a hard time coming up with ways to use it. I've become fond of that low-salt Ketchup.

My wife calls me the Condiment King, and you do not want to mess with the Condiment King's condiment.

Horseradish! I knew I was forgetting something! How do you feel about wasabi? I love it in small doses.. people incorrectly describe it as hot..I would say its danger lies more in its overly aromatic qualities..kind of like pouring lemon juice and salt up your nose.
    I also just discovered Banana Sauce.. kind of like ketchup with an odd undertone.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/21 21:59:59 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Not in the refrigerator specifically, but I try to keep some Old Bay Seasoning around. It goes well on most anything, but I especially like a gentle dusting of it on a Philly cheese steak (remember, I'm in Georgia, so I have to do with fey imitations of da real thing, folks! - Mama's Pizzaria in Bala Cynwyd is only about 637 miles from my door.).
    By Dead Weckoning, Ort. Carlton - The Travelling (when possible) Trencherman.
    P. S. I wouldn't recommend Old Bay on a beef-on-weck... it's too overpowering. That'd be about like putting a gush of Tabasco in egg drop soup. No, no, no-z'ldy, no!
    kdiammond
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/22 00:48:42 (permalink)
    I have mayo, homemade mustard (whole grain), fish sauce (try it in crab cakes -- awsome as it really enhances the sweetness), tom yum ( a blend of lemon grass and chiles), Texas Pete hot sauce (better than Crystal and good for all purposes), wine fermented bean curd (indespensible if you like Chinese roast pork), anchovies, and about a million vinegars!
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/22 02:51:27 (permalink)

How do you feel about wasabi?

I have wasabi, but I prefer to buy it powder form, so it's not in the 'frige. The paste that comes in the tube seems a little too green. Like DAY GLO green.

Years ago I was showing an Italian friend of mine (Italian Italian, mind you) some of my favorite sushi haunts in San Francisco. I told him jokingly that the green stuff was a Japanese after dinner mint. Before I could stop him he popped the whole glob into his mouth.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/22 05:09:47 (permalink)
    Oh my Yumbo! Remember, it's only funny til someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/22 07:45:10 (permalink)
    I keep Mayo, two types of mustard (spicey and yellow) and horseradish in the fridge ! I keep hot sauce, green tabasco sauce, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, worcestershire sauce, old bay, cajun seasoning and greek seasnoning in the pantry !
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/22 12:33:36 (permalink)

I also just discovered Banana Sauce.. kind of like ketchup with an odd undertone.

What is banana sauce? Does it come from some South American locale?
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/22 13:17:20 (permalink)
    The usuals in our fridge, Mayo, brown mustard, creole mustard, ketchup, anchovie paste, thai chili-garlic sauce, olivada (black and green), horseradish, a variety of hot sauces, and of course Dinosaur BBQ Sensuous Slathering Sauce, (often used in lieu of ketchup).
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/22 16:15:39 (permalink)
    Re: Wasabi, this is only a quess, but I am thinking that what many people are buying in supermarkets,believing it is wasabi,is actually dried horseradish that has green coloring added. This is also made into a paste,by adding water to the dried horseradish and adding coloring and preservitives, which comes in a tube Wasabi is actually a rhizome, think of a day lily, which multipies itself as it grows and can be seperated and replanted.

Real wasabi needs to be prepared from the wasabi rhizome. The difference is easily noticed. For a source in the US, and I am not a shill, as it is grown in cooler, damper climates and I live in the high desert and cannot grow it, but do order it is Pacific Farms, www.freshwasabi.com, information can be obtained from info@Freshwasabi.com.

good eating
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/22 17:04:04 (permalink)

Banana sauce comes from the Philippines. The brand I have, Jufran, lists the following ingredients: Bananas, water, sugar, vinegar, salt, starch, onion, garlic, and spices (along with some ubiquitous preservatives and coloring). It's tangier than conventional ketchup, reminds me more of sweet and sour sauce made with bananas.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/23 14:08:40 (permalink)
    Wow you people must have walk-in fridges in your houses. A lot of the things mentioned are inert or at the least very stable in a cool dark cupboard. Let me however add Sharwoods Mango Chutney to the list. Great with items from the frier.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/23 16:10:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CCJPO

Re: Wasabi, this is only a quess, but I am thinking that what many people are buying in supermarkets,believing it is wasabi,is actually dried horseradish that has green coloring added. This is also made into a paste,by adding water to the dried horseradish and adding coloring and preservitives, which comes in a tube Wasabi is actually a rhizome, think of a day lily, which multipies itself as it grows and can be seperated and replanted.

Real wasabi needs to be prepared from the wasabi rhizome. The difference is easily noticed. For a source in the US, and I am not a shill, as it is grown in cooler, damper climates and I live in the high desert and cannot grow it, but do order it is Pacific Farms, www.freshwasabi.com, information can be obtained from info@Freshwasabi.com.

good eating

The powdered wasabi that I get at the supermarket is imported from Japan and *is* made from the genuine article. My problem with the tube variety is that the color and texture is off. It appears to me that the Japanese don't have the same negative associations with food coloring that we do, which explains the large amounts of food dyes they have in their processed foods - like some of the P-I-N-K pickled ginger that you can find in the Asian food aisles here.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/23 16:11:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rumbelly

Wow you people must have walk-in fridges in your houses.

No ... we're just really really fat.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/23 16:13:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

Banana sauce comes from the Philippines. The brand I have, Jufran, lists the following ingredients: Bananas, water, sugar, vinegar, salt, starch, onion, garlic, and spices (along with some ubiquitous preservatives and coloring). It's tangier than conventional ketchup, reminds me more of sweet and sour sauce made with bananas.

So do you eat fries with it? This is intriguing. I'm going to have to go out and buy it.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Condiments 2003/04/23 18:04:40 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

So do you eat fries with it? This is intriguing. I'm going to have to go out and buy it.

I'm the type of person to use just about every condiment on everything, and yet, I've never had it on fries! I suspect the Philippino people probably use it on Lumpia, their verson of eggrolls, because it tastes a bit like the lumpia sauce i've had in the past..however their sauce is usually spicy, and Jufran does make a hot version of the banana sauce. Personally I've used it in sandwiches, on roast beef, dipped pizza in it..etc.. On my fries, I prefer a combination of kethcup/ranch or Marie's Honey Mustard, the only one worth the stomach space.
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/01 15:04:16 (permalink)
    quote:

I actually eat with Jamacian Patties, and that was where I was first introduced to the wonder of it. Some good patties and a cold Ting are a good lunch.
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/01 15:27:44 (permalink)
    i try to keep a healthy stock of at least 10 different hot sauces, each with different heat and/or flavor; regular and spicy mustard; teriyaki glaze and marinade; mayo; regular and spicy ketchup; a couple different kinds of Lawry's marinades (usually lemon-herb and soy-orange); ginger, sesame-soy, ranch, and italian dressing; red wine vinegar (i'm paricular to Colavita brand because it seems a little sweeter); a big jar of minced garlic for when i'm too lazy to do it myself or when a dish is in desperate need of flavor; and a couple different kinds of BBQ sauce.
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/01 17:28:05 (permalink)
    HOLEY, MOLEY, Yumbo,
    I didn't mean to get you knickers in an uproar. Most store bought wasabi is the HIME brand, which is actually wasabi-ko. This type is made from japanese horseradish, mustard, corn starch and artificial color. Japanese horseradish is really just the garden variety horseradish that anyone can grow. Wasabi is a specific genus of plant, and has a completly different flavor when fres, as compared to what one can buy in a typical grocery store. Fresh wasabi can often be purchased in oriental orientated grocery. However I have never seen it in a Raley's, Krogrer, A&P, Farmer John, etc. grocery.

I didn't mean to offend you, rather it was to be an informative addition to ROADFOOD, as I did not wish to engage in a urination contest, but if I did, oh well.
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/01 17:54:56 (permalink)
    quote:

I have wasabi, but I prefer to buy it powder form, so it's not in the 'frige. The paste that comes in the tube seems a little too green. Like DAY GLO green.

Years ago I was showing an Italian friend of mine (Italian Italian, mind you) some of my favorite sushi haunts in San Francisco. I told him jokingly that the green stuff was a Japanese after dinner mint. Before I could stop him he popped the whole glob into his mouth.

My dad did the same thing the first time he tried sushi. He coughed and sputtered for about ten minutes and turn an interesting shade of red as the sweat beads formed on his head from exertion of coughing. My brother and I were afraid that we'd killed the poor man.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/01 17:59:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CCJPO

HOLEY, MOLEY, Yumbo,
    I didn't mean to get you knickers in an uproar. Most store bought wasabi is the HIME brand, which is actually wasabi-ko. This type is made from japanese horseradish, mustard, corn starch and artificial color. Japanese horseradish is really just the garden variety horseradish that anyone can grow. Wasabi is a specific genus of plant, and has a completly different flavor when fres, as compared to what one can buy in a typical grocery store. Fresh wasabi can often be purchased in oriental orientated grocery. However I have never seen it in a Raley's, Krogrer, A&P, Farmer John, etc. grocery.

I didn't mean to offend you, rather it was to be an informative addition to ROADFOOD, as I did not wish to engage in a urination contest, but if I did, oh well.

Hey CCJPO - I wasn't offended and I'm sorry that I gave the impression that I was ... I guess that's the downside of the internet. 20 variations on the smiley face icon don't always convey the author's meaning. Anyway, I really thought that the powdered variety was made from the real deal wasabi plant. After posting that message I went home and checked my wasabi tin and there it was: "horseradish." Peace to you.

-Yumbo
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/02 02:13:50 (permalink)
    Wasabi is my secret mashed potato ingredient for my fire-loving fiancee. People never figure it out. I like HP sauce and Salad Cream from England (sort of like steak sauce and mayo). I am trying to remember the name of this Japanese sauce...my big box of condiment bottles fell and broke when I moved (don't cry...it will be OK. I'm dealing with it in therapy) but I think it ended with a "U", anyone know? It is thick and brown and used on cute little pancakes. Also: Thai curry pastes, Hoison sauce, super grainy mustard, Sierra Nevada pale Ale mustard, tubes of pesto, sun-dried tomato pesto, and onion paste, miso paste (for making fish with soy sauce and sake in tin foil...yum...seems to live forever)...that old stand-by chili sauce...are relishes and capers and peeproncinis etc. condiments? OK, about soy sauce...Yamasa makes a low salt version that allows you to use more and get more flavor than normal. (OK, I am inviting trouble from the salt lovers contingent, but it had to be said.)
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/02 05:08:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by vinelady

quote:

I actually eat with Jamacian Patties, and that was where I was first introduced to the wonder of it. Some good patties and a cold Ting are a good lunch.

Pardon my ignorance, vinelady, but what are Jamaican Patties?
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/02 12:07:19 (permalink)
    I've also become a fan of ponzu, which is a Japanese soy sauce with a citrus flavor added.

-Yumbo
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/02 13:09:51 (permalink)
    Jamacian Patties are a turnover that is typically filled with a spicy chichen, pork or vegie filling. The are typically bright screaming orange. That and Akee and Saltfish are the most common dishes from Jamacia that you will see, and both are very worth the time.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/02 17:44:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by vinelady

Jamacian Patties are a turnover that is typically filled with a spicy chichen, pork or vegie filling. The are typically bright screaming orange. That and Akee and Saltfish are the most common dishes from Jamacia that you will see, and both are very worth the time.

They sound delicious, but considering the 0 Jamaican population where I live, the only way I'll have them is to try and find a good recipe.
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/02 18:04:57 (permalink)
    Here's a recipe for Jamaican Beef Patties. I think I'll try them this weekend! http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/americas/caribbean/beef-patties1.html
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/03 21:43:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jessicazee

Here's a recipe for Jamaican Beef Patties. I think I'll try them this weekend! http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/americas/caribbean/beef-patties1.html

thank you!
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Condiments 2003/05/04 09:12:13 (permalink)
    I've spent a decent amount of time in Jamaica. A common snack is a patty enclosed in coco bread or a butterflap. They are like a tortilla with yeast, baked then brushed with copious amounts of butter whilst still hot. Put the patty in and fold. Very filling. Vinelady, you mention ackees. Great things, too bad they are banned in all forms in the USA.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1