Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th

Author
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1878
2008/12/09 17:54:04 (permalink)

Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th

Hello all ,

It is time for another Coney Island Restaurant Meet in Middletown NY . This one is scheduled for Tues Dec. 30th 1pm .

We try to coordinate a few of these a year , the hot dogs and chili are superb and it is a good location for our Upstate NY Roadfooders .
Looks like we will have The Prime Time Gang of Uncle Buck , Benzee and Coney Island Lou attending .
This is Lous hometown rest. and he will set it up with the restaurant . Jaime and her crew are fantastic setting up and reserving the tables for us .
We have averaged anywhere bewtween 12 and 20 attendees in the past and I know a lot of us are off between Chrsitmas and New Years so it would make a great chance to meet up with fellow roadfooders.
Seafarer John his wife Gail and Brooklyn Bill and Ginny should be coming , so with my wife and son we are already at 10 ( if Doc Tom can get away from his dentistry for an hour )

Lets get a roll call to see who may be attending , so we can get a pretty good count for Coney Island

Benzee

12 Replies Related Threads

BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/10 12:18:36 (permalink)
    Benzee,
    Ginny and I do plan on attending.
    Bill
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/10 13:12:56 (permalink)
    Benzee: Sign up Gail and I for some hot dogs.

Cheers, John
    Benzee
    RE: Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/13 19:52:53 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

I recently had the chance to talk to the Mayor of Middletown Marlinda Duncanson as she was a guest on our radio show . I invited her to attend the meet and she sends her regrets that she will be vacationing with family in Maine that week . She is intereasted in attending the next one , and we should be doing another in March to coincide with CI Lous 50th birthday . She would like to attend that one . She is a big fan of Coney Island Rest. and its good to have the mayor singing the praises of Coney Dogs !!!!
    So far we have
    Benzee
    Mrs Benzee
    Joey Benz
    Coney Island Lou
    Uncle Buck
    Dr. Tom
    Seafarer John
    Gail
    Brooklyn Bill
    Ginny

10 and counting .

Benzee
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/17 10:21:53 (permalink)
    Hi Benzee, and everyone.

12/30 is one of only 2 days I will be working that week, otherwise I would probably take a drive up there. Coney Island was my favorite on the Spring '07 Mini Tour.

Have a great time and Happy Holidays etc to everyone!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/18 09:36:29 (permalink)
    I'm posting this here because I can't find any way on this new format to post a new topic. 

Yesterday I visited Noshi's Coney Island  on Main St in Poughkeepsie. This place is about two years old, but only recently re-opened after suffering considerable damage when a truck drove thru the place. It is small - about six seats at a counter and maybe a dozen table seats. Parking is on the street, but in that part of Main street parking is usually quite easy to find.  Hours are: M-F - 7 to 6, Sat-8 to 4, closed Sunday - pretty short hours, I think, for this kind of joint. But, then, the place seems to be run by the owner with one person in the kitchen to help.

Noshi's has a very large menu: the speciality is hot dogs with over 20 toppings to choose from - and he'll mix and match those toppings to bring the total offerings to some astronomical number. The rest of the menu ranges from Buffalo wings thru knishes, chili, Gyros, Philly cheese steak, to shish-ka-bobs. Beverages are the usual soft drinks, coffee, milkshakes,  etc. 

He serves an excellent hot dog ( sorry, I failed to get the producer's name) that he told me was 90% beef and 10% pork. He said a box of 64 costs him $24 - I don't know much about the economics of the business, but that struck me as a pretty high price for wholesale hot dogs. The dogs I had were juicy, snappy, and very nicely flavored. 

The one offered as a "Coney Island " is topped with a chili type sauce (quite different from the "Greeks" sauce usually found in our area) that I thought had a bit of a Southwestern flavor to it, mustard and diced onions and it was excellent. He gave me a small cup of chili to try and it was also very nice - mildly spicy hot, different from the very good chili served at Andy's Place also here in Poughkeepsie, but every bit as good. 

The owner,David, is a really nice friendly guy who loves to talk and is building what could be a destination hot dog joint - if he cuts down his too-long menu and concentrates on what he does best - the hot dogs and the chili.

It's located at 803 Main Street, Poughkeepsie - that's an address way up on the eastern end of Main street only a few blocks before it melds into Rts 44 and 55.    

Cheers, John 

Benzee
    Re:Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/18 16:16:41 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Not too thrilled about this new forum format . Don't know how to start a new thread either Seafaerer John . And the Hot Dog Forum should be bumped to the top of the lunch list if at all , not to the bottom . Just my thoughts .

Anyway sorry you cannot make it Ken its always a pleasure to see you when we can get together .

Benzee
    Ev1L
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re:Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/19 16:44:16 (permalink)
    Benzee

Hello all ,

Not too thrilled about this new forum format . Don't know how to start a new thread either Seafaerer John . And the Hot Dog Forum should be bumped to the top of the lunch list if at all , not to the bottom . Just my thoughts .

Anyway sorry you cannot make it Ken its always a pleasure to see you when we can get together .

Benzee

To start a new thread, go to the main forum you are interested in and the start new thread is in the upper left hand corner. It can be a little hard to see but it is there.
    Benzee
    Re:Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/19 17:04:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Evil ,

I figured it out . Add Uncle Bucks wife Eilleen and friend Florence to the list on Tues Dec 30th .
    We should be at 12 so far .
    Coney Island Lou reports that Jaine , the manager ,  is all set for our group , and will be working that day . Fantastic !!! In past meets she has even taken pictures with us and is an allaround great host .

Benzee
    Benzee
    Re:Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/27 07:54:24 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

A reminder , our meet at Coney Island Restaurant in Middletown NY starts at 1 pm on Tues Dec 30th if anyone else is interested .
    CI has a great menu and though most of us will be devouring the Coney Dogs all tastes are welcome .

Benzee
    Benzee
    Re:Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/30 10:38:13 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

we may have added two more for later today . Johnnie and Luke from Bloomingburg are big fans of The Prime Time Show on WTBQ that I co host and may be joining us .

The Times Herald Record had a $5.00 off coupon to Johnny D's or Coney Island Resturant  in Mondays paper for anyone thats interested . Being that the Coney Combo with a drink comes to about that , you could pretty much each for free today and enjoy some good camraderie .

The address is  10 Railroad Ave . Middletown NY  .

Hope to see everyone later today 1pm !!!

Benzee
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    Re:Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/30 10:59:27 (permalink)
    Hey Benzee,

I held out to the last moment, but it's not to be.  Work.

Have a great time.  Say hello to Uncle Buck and the rest of the gang.

Joe
    Benzee
    Re:Coney Island Meet Middletown NY - Tues Dec 30th 2008/12/31 13:52:40 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

The Meet at Coney Island Resturant yesterday was a success . Attendees included Benzee , Uncle Buck , Coney Island Lou , Seafarer John , Brooklyn Bill , Johnnie from Bloomingburg along with Mrs Benzee , Joey Benzee , Gail  , Ginny , Eilleen and Florence .  We were joined by owner / manager Jaime for much of  our visit as she enjoyed having us it seemed as much as we enjoyed being there .

The suggested  meal was the two coney dog platter that CI Lou raves abut and it was not a disapointment . Two coney dogs , crisp fries and cole slaw was a hit with everyone who tried it . Johnnie from Bloomingburg had these dogs for the first time and rated them at the top of his list . Uncle Bucks wife Eilleen and friend Florence enjoyed the invite and were happy to share their time with us .

Brooklyn Bill and Ginny looked as great as ever as did Gail and her husband Seafarer John , always a pleasure to visit with .

Another meet is going to be scheduled for a Sunday in March to coincide with CI Lous 50th birthday

Benzee
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1