Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson

Author
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4545
2008/04/07 20:55:27 (permalink)

Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson

Coney Island in Scranton burned last Thursday. Most people have strong opinions on this place. Great dogs, terrible dogs, Original, not original.

Have you been there? Whats your opinion?

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=8117348

14 Replies Related Threads

caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/07 23:49:14 (permalink)
    Honestly, I couldn't tell you which of the two "original" Scranton coney joints I like better, foodwise, but this location definitely has a lot more character than the new one. I do know the amount of energy the Lackawanna Ave place puts into dissing this one is a little off-putting (and okay, a bit amusing when you're not in the middle of it.) I mean, if they have a legal claim then they should go after the other guys, otherwise let it rest because it comes off as really unprofessional: http://www.texas-wiener.com/ourhistory.htm
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/07 23:59:34 (permalink)
    Oh, and from the article it looks like it isn't really lost after all -- the owner says he's hoping to reopen some time next month. This thread's headline almost gave me a heart attack.
    Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/08 10:44:13 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

We were planning a Scranton visit this summer to see a Scranton AAA Yankees game and hit one of the Coney Island Dog places .
    Hope it opens soon .

Benzee
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/08 11:43:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Benzee

Hello all ,

We were planning a Scranton visit this summer to see a Scranton AAA Yankees game and hit one of the Coney Island Dog places .
    Hope it opens soon .

Benzee

If you stay overnight you can ride the restored trolly from the downtown to the stadium.

http://www.visitnepa.org/
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/08 14:37:37 (permalink)
    Be sure and watch this before you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFxKoQEl-Z8

(Solid props to the Anthracite Museum!)

And if you're looking for stuff to do there, check out this from Ask Metafilter: http://ask.metafilter.com/26010/What-to-do-in-WilkesBarre-Scranton-PA
    As my boy fixedgear says, tour the coal mine, seriously.
    Benzee
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/08 18:41:17 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Thanks for the idea folks , perhaps a roadfood gathering on one of those $.50 hot dog nights is in order .

Benzee
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/09 12:03:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Benzee
    Hello all ,

Hope it opens soon .

Benzee
    If the one that burned is re-opened, you can easily go to both as they are very close (walking distance) to each other.

I was in Scranton last year for a Little League tournament and went to the one on Lackawanna, which was excellent. I actually made a wrong turn down Cedar and saw the one that burned. There was a guy who looked like one of the 'gang' by the alley in 'Animal House' when Stork led the band off the parade route. He was puffing away on a cigarette right in front of the entrance, so I kiboshed that Coney spot. If I go back, I'll try that one as well as going back to the one on Lackawanna.

Kevin

Buzzard
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/10 00:03:40 (permalink)
    I'm loosely connected to the the Original on Cedar Ave. (the one that was a victim of arson.) I did their website (obviously not my profession, favor by a son-in-law.) www.coneyislandofacranton.com
    They are going to re-open. They are fighters and will not be intimitated. Tammany Hall tactics ended everywhere else but Scranton. It is all so sad and stupid.
    Buzzard
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/10 00:05:47 (permalink)
    www.coneyislandofscranton.com
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/10 01:11:53 (permalink)
    Buzzard. Thanx. Welcome to RF. Great SECOND post.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/10 08:34:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Buzzard

www.coneyislandofscranton.com

Welcome Buzzard, Give us the inside scoop as to what is going on. The fire, the historical society, etc.
    Benzee
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2008/04/10 18:13:25 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Yes Buzzard whats going on in Scranton . Give us the scoop my man , do not leave us hanging please. Let us know when they do reopen , a roadtrip will defintely be in order .

Benzee
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2009/07/05 10:28:12 (permalink)
    Coney Island in Scranton is back in business!

http://www.coneyislandofscranton.com/CIOS1/Welcome.html

By Ryan Leckey
    11:45 AM EDT, June 22, 2009
    A landmark restaurant in Scranton damaged by fire is finally open. The Original Coney Island reopened Monday morning more than a year after someone torched it.

The inside was a charred mess. The ceiling and booths were both scorched.

Monday it was a much different sight at the place famous for its Texas wieners!

Ted Karampilas' father started the business in 1923 after coming over from Greece with just three dollars in his pocket. Karampilas said his father, Steve, would be proud of the new look.

"He would be flabbergasted. He wouldn't know what to say if he ever saw this," Karampilas said.

Tom Moran now owns the business along Cedar Avenue. He said his $10,000 reward still stands to catch the firebug but he is trying to move forward.

He kept a singed money box and dollar bills as a daily reminder of his goal to rebuild.

"I've been looking at it every morning when I get into my car in my garage. I set it on the floor right next to my car. I've been promising myself, even this, we can't let it stop us. We have to overcome it," Moran said.

Like the owner, Donna Walsh is excited to get back to work. It will be her 11th year there. "It's our regular customers who keep us going but it's also the customer who comes in off the street. They see us from a historical point of view," said Walsh.

Something that the new Coney Island has the other one didn't is an extra cook station so someone could be in the front of the restaurant cooking all of the orders for the take-out customers and another chef can be whipping up some food for those who plan to eat in the dining area.

There is also plenty of space to enjoy the tasty Texas hot dogs and take in a little a piece of nostalgia.

Copyright © 2009, WNEP-TV

http://www.wnep.com/wnep-scr-original-coney-island-reopens,0,5019062.story

ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Coney Island in Scranton lost to arson 2009/07/05 22:02:55 (permalink)
    <<As my boy fixedgear says, tour the coal mine, seriously. >>

I guess I missed this thread the first time around, which is a good thing because Coney Island Lunch has been on my To Do list for the next time I make a daytrip to that area, which almost happened last month, and I would have been dissapointed that it was closed.

Anyway, several years ago we took my son (then about 12) and a friend of his on a daytrip to Steamtown and the Coal Mine tour, and the Coal Mine was FAR AND AWAY the highlight for them. The highlight for me was the other Coney Island Lunch. Loved it. The kids liked it too.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1