Coney vs. Texas Wiener

Author
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1003
2008/09/04 13:19:34 (permalink)

Coney vs. Texas Wiener

Is there a differance or is it just the location? From what I can see both are hotdogs with chili, mustard and onion.

21 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/04 14:05:41 (permalink)
    Good Question. In my hometown we have two hot dog joints next to each other. One sells a Coney, the other a Texas Weiner. IMO, same thing. Greek style chili, mustard and onion. I believe the dogs are different brands. Neither one is great.

We have some real hot dog experts on this site. I'm sure they can solve this one.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1851
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/04 14:15:39 (permalink)
    I've noticed northern chili's tend to be a bit more tomato-y and more vege adjunts, and southern chili's more heat and meat oriented. Are the chili's use on the dogs differing like that too?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/04 14:57:48 (permalink)
    Some energetic and research oriented member of these boards should bring together in one thread all the various recipes that have been posted for regional hot dog sauces - therein you will find the answer as to how they differ. However, there is a problem: not all recipes are equal. I tried several recipes posted here for "The GreeksSecret" hot wiener sauce as served in the Mid-Hudson Valley, but it was not 'till a poster from Texas , expatriated from Kingston, NY, posted a recipe that I finally had cooked on my own stove an exact replica of what the "Greeks"serve around here. Beware of well meaning but way off the base recipes...

The quotes around "Greeks" are because a whole lot of good sauces now-a-days are being offered by folks not of Greek extraction.

Cheers, John
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/04 17:51:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Some energetic and research oriented member of these boards should bring together in one thread all the various recipes that have been posted for regional hot dog sauces - therein you will find the answer as to how they differ. However, there is a problem: not all recipes are equal. I tried several recipes posted here for "The GreeksSecret" hot wiener sauce as served in the Mid-Hudson Valley, but it was not 'till a poster from Texas , expatriated from Kingston, NY, posted a recipe that I finally had cooked on my own stove an exact replica of what the "Greeks"serve around here. Beware of well meaning but way off the base recipes...

The quotes around "Greeks" are because a whole lot of good sauces now-a-days are being offered by folks not of Greek extraction.

Cheers, John

Me too SFJ. It's the closet thing I have found to the Dallas Hot Weiner sauce I first tasted 52-53 years ago and last tasted a couple of years ago in Kingston, NY.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/05 14:36:41 (permalink)
    I have an e-mail from one of our members asking for the recipe and I referred him to tdj_tx in "Hot Dog Sauce Recipe From Texas Lunch" on 11/19/07. Is there some way we could have this recipe posted in the "Recipe" button on the top of the home page?

Cheers, John
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/05 14:41:12 (permalink)
    quote:

I have an e-mail from one of our members asking for the recipe and I referred him to tdj_tx in "Hot Dog Sauce Recipe From Texas Lunch" on 11/19/07. Is there some way we could have this recipe posted in the "Recipe" button on the top of the home page?

Cheers, John

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13551&SearchTerms=Hot,Dog,Sauce,Recipe,From,Texas,Lunch
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/05 14:52:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joerogo

quote:

Cheers, John

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13551&SearchTerms=Hot,Dog,Sauce,Recipe,From,Texas,Lunch

Thanks John, Thanks Joe!

Sincerely,

The aforementioned member.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/06 12:16:51 (permalink)
    Coney's have no tomato in the sauce.
    Real coney chili sauce is made with ground beef heart (at least in part), and the traditional coney dog is a natural casing dog made of at least part pork.
    eggsactley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/23 08:10:43 (permalink)
    I have always been puzzled by the term "coney" used to describe a type of chili dog. If one were to go to Coney Island they would not be able to find this style of dog there.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/23 11:11:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by eggsactley

I have always been puzzled by the term "coney" used to describe a type of chili dog. If one were to go to Coney Island they would not be able to find this style of dog there.

Try Coney Island Amusement Park that has been located in Cincinnati since 1870 -- first as Parker's Grove, then Ohio Grove, and finally Coney Island.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/23 15:52:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by eggsactley

Story goes; a Greek immigrant landed in New York in the early 1900’s, and before he left the area he saw Coney Island amusement park. He was so impressed, that when he arrived in Detroit and opened his restaurant he named it the "Coney Island" Restaurant. One of the most popular things he served ... was a chili dog … which became known as a "Coney".

Other areas make claims to having that first location, but if you do a search of an online directory such as Infospace or Superpages for businesses with “coney” in the name, you come back with 634 listings in Michigan and all of them restaurants … way more than *any* other state including the state of New York. Just the city of Detroit, for as rough as the economy is, has 173 listed. And of course, this does not even represent other restaurants who merely serve a Coney Island hot dog but don't have "Coney" in their name.

One mystery that has not been solved is; What is the original street location of that original restaurant. There are a number of places that claim it, but no substantial enough proof has been presented to put the mystery to rest.
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/23 15:59:25 (permalink)
    in pure taste theres no comparison ive eaten many texas in jersey and than tried a coney in cincinatti. are you kidding me!!! Ohio's version is a cheap cheap imatation of a great plainfield area texas weiner......imho of course
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/24 09:58:35 (permalink)
    The pics from WanderingJews recent trip to Detroit seemed to point out the differences - the coneys in Michigan look like they tend to be 'juicier' - almost a sloppy joe consistency, whereas the Coney Island here in Middletown is much thicker, less - there's no other word for it - watery...

I have actually tasted a Michigan coney, so I cannot make taste comparisons, but as far the difference between a Middletown Coney sauce and most Texas Weiner sauces is concerned, the Texas sauces are much spicer and hotter than the CI sauce. Manny's in New Jersey serves a 'Texas' sauce is fairly close to the Middletown CI sauce, but still spicier and 'hotter'....Oh God, Im starting to sound like John Fox!

Sometime the next couple of months,we will be trying to get a Coney Island mini-meet going again, so all those interested in comparing, please keep a look out for the announcement! I personally would love someone who has had a Michigan dog to try a Coney dog from Middletown...

The best thing I cansay about the Middletown Coney Island hot dog is that John Fox has and will travel 70 miles each way for its dogs - now THAT is a testament for a good hot dog!!
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/24 12:29:37 (permalink)
    Coney chili will definitely cook down and become thicker too. I guess it's "natural" consistancy depends on what supplier you're getting your Coney Island Chili from. And if some line cook adds water to thin out a chili because it cooked down, and adds too much water, it could definitely become too watery.
    There are some restaurants that do make their Coney chili in-house (I believe National Coney does this) but most just buy it.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/24 14:05:45 (permalink)
    I may be mistaken, but I believe that in the north Jersey, Hudson Valley, Connecticut area every restaurant that specializes in Texas Hot Wieners makes its own sauce in-house. I know that Dallas Hot Wieners in Kingston makes its own sauce - I've seen them cooking it in the back room. And Kings Valley diner (nee Texas Lunch) makes a sauce that's enough different from any other in town that i think it must be homemade.

Cheers, John
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/25 19:37:52 (permalink)
    quote:

I may be mistaken, but I believe that in the north Jersey, Hudson Valley, Connecticut area every restaurant that specializes in Texas Hot Wieners makes its own sauce in-house. I know that Dallas Hot Wieners in Kingston makes its own sauce - I've seen them cooking it in the back room. And Kings Valley diner (nee Texas Lunch) makes a sauce that's enough different from any other in town that i think it must be homemade.

Cheers, John

I just had to chime in on this thread John, you are right each "Texas Hot Wiener" joint in the Mid-Hudson Valley makes it's own sauce from a closely guarded family recipe. I was able to get the ingredients list for my sauce recipe from a jarred sauce that one of the families in Kingston sold at a local shop. I do know someone who has the actual recipe of the sauce served at "Dallas Hot Wiener's" in Kingston. He won't give the recipe to me but did confirm that the main ingredient is ground hot dogs.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/25 20:14:30 (permalink)
    Well, tdj_tx, you sure did a great job of creating a fine duplication of the Dallas sauce without the actual recipe. Although i can now make it at home i still prefer to go to the original now and then to enjoy "Two with everything" - the atmosphere (or lack of it) is necessary to full enjoyment of many foods...

Somehow i feel deep sorrow for those poor midwesterners who are reduced to eating the same old same old sauce every place they go - a mere factory product.

Cheers, John
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/25 20:47:12 (permalink)
    I do feel sorry for all of the folks that aren't blessed with the favor of living in the Hudson Valley of New York. I'm seriously thinking about starting at least one hot dog cart here in the Austin area. I think they could catch on.
    MGWerks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/26 00:11:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tdj_tx

I do feel sorry for all of the folks that aren't blessed with the favor of living in the Hudson Valley of New York. I'm seriously thinking about starting at least one hot dog cart here in the Austin area. I think they could catch on.
    Man, I can see dragging a cart down to 6th Street and running from like 7PM to 2AM on the weekends. Those folks would truly have the munchies! The folks at Hippy Hollow won't have any pockets to keep money in, though.
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/09/26 11:12:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MGWerks

quote:
    Originally posted by tdj_tx

Man, I can see dragging a cart down to 6th Street and running from like 7PM to 2AM on the weekends. Those folks would truly have the munchies! The folks at Hippy Hollow won't have any pockets to keep money in, though.

You would just have to set up in the parking lot and get them before they get nekkid ;-)
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2336
    RE: Coney vs. Texas Wiener 2008/10/01 20:06:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

The pics from WanderingJews recent trip to Detroit seemed to point out the differences - the coneys in Michigan look like they tend to be 'juicier' - almost a sloppy joe consistency, whereas the Coney Island here in Middletown is much thicker, less - there's no other word for it - watery...

I have actually tasted a Michigan coney, so I cannot make taste comparisons, but as far the difference between a Middletown Coney sauce and most Texas Weiner sauces is concerned, the Texas sauces are much spicer and hotter than the CI sauce. Manny's in New Jersey serves a 'Texas' sauce is fairly close to the Middletown CI sauce, but still spicier and 'hotter'....Oh God, Im starting to sound like John Fox!

Sometime the next couple of months,we will be trying to get a Coney Island mini-meet going again, so all those interested in comparing, please keep a look out for the announcement! I personally would love someone who has had a Michigan dog to try a Coney dog from Middletown...

The best thing I cansay about the Middletown Coney Island hot dog is that John Fox has and will travel 70 miles each way for its dogs - now THAT is a testament for a good hot dog!!

The Middletown New York (there is a Middletown N.J.) Coney Island restaurant's chili may be my favorite. I agree with Coney Island Lou that, although the terms Coney Island dog and Texas Weiner may be interchangeable, the Plainfield area's Texas Weiner chili is spicier and hotter than the chili from places calling themselves Coney Island. New Jersey also has the Paterson area Texas Weiner, which features a deep fried (rather than grilled) hot dog and is topped with a much thinner chili sauce that contains a lot of nutmeg/cinnamon/cloves. It's all a matter of taste as to what you prefer.

On occasion, I like hot spicy chili like that served at Father & Son or some of the popular hot dog joints in Connecticut. A lot of hot dog trucks in Jersey also serve hot chili. Once in awhile I enjoy some of the tomatoey chilis also offerred by many trucks. Tony's in Newark is a favorite. I love the unique bolognese type chili at Jimmy Buff's. If pressed, I'd say my favorite type is the thicker less spicy/hot chili described by Coney Island Lou as "Coney Island" chili. Middletown's Coney Island Rest. is an excellent example. I recently had a homemade version that is just like it. It was given to me by John Sagi of thegourmetchilidog.com who attended our recent Tour and gave out some samples.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1